PDA

View Full Version : why nas is goat. (good read,i didnt write it,discuss)

cap
02-18-2007, 07:44 AM
One of the most controversial debates that always been forever sprouted heatedly time after time is who's the greatest emcee?

I came to this conclusion, albeit unbiased, that the man who's government name is Nasir Jones, had not only was given expectations, but lived up to those expectations as being the greatest rapper to ever held the mic...

Now don't get this confused, most elitist want to look at technical skill, and any hater would find the most unnecessary excuse or reason to say why he couldn't be...

I look at it like this:

RAKIM- The most renowned emcee, he set the standard of what emceeing is 20 years ago to this day. Most people would consider for that very reason alone, and how he was at his peak ('86-'91), he should be the greatest to ever do it.

JAY-Z- Jay-z is the most commercially successful, and Iím speaking both figuratively as well as the obvious being literally rapper to ever do it. 2nd being Eminem when it comes to achieving so much success all due to the fact you can rhyme good. The stages he set for himself, along with the so-called retirement and so-called comeback, and how he is still celebrated in most cases, will give him a rightful claim as the greatest to ever.

2PAC- Quite possibly the most influential man in hip-hop history. Also he's the most celebrated; being that his albums sold more DEAD while alive, making him the highest selling rap artist ever. The man, the myth, or whatever you want to look at it, symbolizes him as the greatest

BIGGIE- The most beloved rapper. Itís very arguable to suggest that had Biggie lived, jay-z's success would have been limited. Jay-z himself openly admitted on wax several times that his intentions was to fill Biggie's shoes, before that he was merely Biggie's sidekick. Biggie had every potential in being the greatest to ever did it, but unfortunately cut short.

KRS-ONE- probably the most multi-facet of all emcees, and pretty much set up the blueprint of so many styles and character of what or how emcees should be. A lot of emcee's styles were born through this man whether they know it or not, even right down to dancehall lyricism, gangsterism, political rap, battle emcee...you name it, he was basically the pioneer of it all, which justifies his legitimacy as being the greatest...

And there's several others you personally want to consider, but why Nas?

It initially took someone like KRS-ONE to really start thinking about it. I mean this is KRS-ONE, one of the most arrogant, egotistical man in hip-hop, doing a TRIBUTE to another rapper that has not YET reached his final edge in rap.

Why? Why would someone like KRS-ONE would even reach out to Nas with so much gratitude?

I came to full swing of this conclusion a couple of days ago with the coastal, generational "where are they now" remixes, where Nas manages to do what no one thought was capable to pull off...which is to bring back some of the most forgotten old school rappers back for one more hoorah...in the name of hip-hop

But that wasn't the SOLE reason why I consider him the greatest...it's the reflection of his entire career. Itís like now what else does he have to prove to show his greatness, when he pretty much done and achieve it all?

It all starts with ILLMATIC

What was crazy about this album was that the critics KNEW well ahead of time that that album would be something of historic proportions. I can honestly say it was the most hyped up album WITHOUT controversy being the driving force ever in hip-hop, all because of two posse cuts and one song off of the zebra head soundtrack. all this hype behind a young TEENAGER

if you REALLY stop to think about it, the majority of the rhymes from that album was written between 91-93 when Nas was only between the ages of 17 and 19 years of age...in fact, the verse from "verbal intercourse" was written around that time as well (go check the pre-Illmatic demo), and THAT was considered Nas' greatest verse ever.

Illmatic was TOO great, it was TOO perfect which haunts him to this day; the crazy fact is he feels that if he raps "beyond the margin" again he will distance himself with his core audience. Right now he's in the perfect marriage. I mean, I cannot name a rapper, past or present in where he have that complete freedom of expression for an emcee WITHOUT worry of being characterized to one element....Nas is NOT a backpacker, but the backpackers can relate...Nas is NOT a gangster rapper, but the street niggaz can relate, he's not political, he's not POP, he's not none of those things, BUT he possesses everything for everybody.

I look at Nas like I would look at what tiger woods have become today....when wood was just a teen, people ALWAYS had expectations of him possibly being the greatest to do it...and this was BEFORE he went pro! Same similarities...even woods his a hardening slump, mainly due to the illness of his father, just like Nas was going thru with his mother during the late 90's..which pushed him into an identity crisis...but it's NOT how they fell off, but how they CAMEBACK...and both of them came back with force, something that even RAKIM never could achieve or Big Daddy Kane or any of the fallen off rappers with the exception of LL...

then there's the greatest and still most talked about battle of all-time, in which Nas gave us a new slang with the word "ether"...a battle that a lot of people would look at it as Ali vs. Foreman...AKA the "rumble in the jungle" and like Foreman, Jay-z being the heavily favorite and Nas, like Ali, being washed up and played out...

and like Muhammad Ali, who people consider him "the greatest", the reason being the things and circumstances that were set up for him to conquer...it was like it was destined for Nas to battle Jay-z...and come thru greater than he did when he 1st started...it was destined for him to debut the way he did...putting out one of the greatest ALBUMS of any genre from our generation...it was destined, regardless of how you feel about the source, past or present, to be the ONLY rapper to be given 5 mics twice, and to have the most hip-hop quotables .. it was destined for him to spark so much controversy over his SOLE opinion in his reasoning as to why "hip-hop is dead"...and it was destined for him to do everything, today, not because of sales...he himself admits he don't care about sales anymore..but for the love of the culture

Nas have a catalog of lyrics within his 16 years in the rap game that are one of the most amazing forms of literature in rap ever. 16 YEARS WORTH..starting with the 1st one from main source's "live at the BBQ"..whether it be storytelling, or merely something form his "book of rhymes"...nas pretty much touched every angle that needs to be reached in rap music...and he is still going on strong...

WuGambino
02-18-2007, 09:23 AM
He makes some good points, but I think KRS-One is better.

Seborth
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Big L is better than Rakim, Pac, Biggie, Nas, KRS1... i think he would be g.o.a.t. if he didn't die so fast

Unicron the Agitator
02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree with all th points made, and Nas is perhaps my favorite solo rap artists, but I've evolved past the premise of a "G.O.A.T." in terms of hip-hop as the genre has splintered to the point it's no longer one, homogeneous entity. We can make the claim that each facet of hip-hop has a "G.O.A.T.". The commercial side, the politcally conscience side, the gangsta side, the crunk side, and whatever else that may spring forth. This debate being waged over the "greatest" will continue like an endless waltz, with hip-hop pundits each crafting theories like the aforementioned that all hold valid points. Hip-hop has evolved from a musical genre into a culture, and as a culture, we shouldn't be debating about who was the best "prophet" of the movement, just recognizing their acomplishments.

grimey
02-18-2007, 11:16 AM
if nas aint number 1 he damn sure top 3........

venex
02-18-2007, 11:17 AM
thanks, great read !!!

the autor has a few very good points..nas is great..

If I had to pick the greatest mc of all time, without thinkin' of what i personally like the most...it would be NAS

but my goat mc isn't nas, it's all opinions after all

Hayabusa
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I vote for KRS. and KRS in his prime would body Big L...all studio session long.

Wu-Set
02-18-2007, 08:42 PM
what i don't understand is wutang never gets brought up in these debates, like it cant be a group, it has a 2 be an individual, wutang as a group 2 me definitely should be considered, of course they're definitely the best out of any group with their closest contender being run dmc i guess, i dunno, but 2 me its like everybody always talks about big and pac but wu as a group surpasses both of them

Wu-Set
02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
krs is cool but skillwise, rakim>krs

Kenny Powers
02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
i would agree, nas is prolly the goat. the author didnt really like krs not because of his music, but rather for his ego and how obnixous he is...

TAURO
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Why was there no mention of Pun?.....Nas even said that Pun was the only mc that made him want to step his shit up after hearing his verse.

The guy made some good points and I myself have thought the same thing about Nas. He does seem to cover all the bases in hip hop and on a lyrical level he has never dipped in quality even on his poorest albums, Nas just seems to lack the ability of choosing quality beats most of the time but thats about it really. When people tell me they think Nas is the G.O.A.T I don't dispute it despite what I may think, reason?....because as an emcee, Nas has proven himself time and time again, even amongst the legends.

Hayabusa
02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
what i don't understand is wutang never gets brought up in these debates, like it cant be a group, it has a 2 be an individual, wutang as a group 2 me definitely should be considered, of course they're definitely the best out of any group with their closest contender being run dmc i guess, i dunno, but 2 me its like everybody always talks about big and pac but wu as a group surpasses both of them
LoL at u not mentioning De La Soul considering Grind Date >any wu album post forever...proving they are still on point just like they was when they first came into the game.

TAURO
02-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I suppose you could also argue as to why there was no mention of Kool G Rap when he has influenced nearly every rapper around, especially those listed, well excluding Rakim and Krs because they came out round about the same time.

Hayabusa
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
jeah gimme Kool G over Kane when it comes to enjoyable music. But I do enjoy Cormega more than Nas so eh. idk hehe...

Polocash7
02-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Imo Rakim,KRS-1 and Big are better. When they were in their prime,no one was fuckin' w/them.

Polocash7
02-19-2007, 05:02 AM
LoL at u not mentioning De La Soul considering Grind Date >any wu album post forever...proving they are still on point just like they was when they first came into the game. c/s except SC. SC is a lil' better than TGD. TGD-is slept on HARD

bloodyhookz
02-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Nas ain't the best, that title is way overrated, I can name 10 different mc's who can claim that title before Nas, yes he is one of the nicest, but his music ain't speaking for him, and it's been a long time since it has, in my opinion, KRS is still pumpin out better albums than Nasir, AZ, KOOL G, CORMEGA, RAKIM, these are just few to name, these are mc's, regardless of how long they been in the game, they are consistent with dope music, that's what really counts when it comes to HIPHOP, ILLMATIC?, c'mon, you can't live off of one dope album in a 10 year span, maybe if that was his first and only album, but that's not the case!

cap
02-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Nas ain't the best, that title is way overrated, I can name 10 different mc's who can claim that title before Nas, yes he is one of the nicest, but his music ain't speaking for him, and it's been a long time since it has, in my opinion, KRS is still pumpin out better albums than Nasir, AZ, KOOL G, CORMEGA, RAKIM, these are just few to name, these are mc's, regardless of how long they been in the game, they are consistent with dope music, that's what really counts when it comes to HIPHOP, ILLMATIC?, c'mon, you can't live off of one dope album in a 10 year span, maybe if that was his first and only album, but that's not the case!

nah man he dropped bangas after illmatic.
you telling me you dont like it was written??lost tapes??stillmatic??
cmon man...

TSA
02-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Big L is better than Rakim, Pac, Biggie, Nas, KRS1... i think he would be g.o.a.t. if he didn't die so fast

bullshit.

Big L will never fuck with Rakim for a lot of reasons.

Rakim's asked where he got his style, the niggas says a saxaphone, he wanted to rap as a saxaphone for from that invented the way EVERYONE raps from then on in. And then instead of rhyming the last syllable decided to throw in multiple rhymes in a sentence, rhyme the first syllable, or the middle syllable, and literally wrote a rhyme and sugically disected it with 100s of techniques nobody in hip hop poetry and history have ever used.

think about it this was....new school hip hop was invented for everyone else copying ONE of those styles(melodic rhyme schemes), the other 99 haven't been immitated equalled let alone surpassed.

If anyone hope to innovate that much he'd need to learn how to rap out of his feet.

add that to lyrically he's still considered the top of the pack, and he's 20years in the game. niggas ain't touching shit from 20 years ago today.

in the face of that, who the fuck is Big L

this is why i think he's better then Nas, if not then nas is arguably equal

TSA
02-19-2007, 09:24 AM

church. Wu is more influential then Nas

and innovative

11th Chamber
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Good read, that had some good points. Altho, I would still put 2Pac, Rakim, Biggie, Eminem, and KRS in front of Nas.

When it comes to hip hop, there is no such thing as the greatest ever, because no one will agree on who holds that title. I consider 2Pac the greatest of all time prolly because I feel he has done it better than anyone else and has made the best music. The next man will say Rakim, the next man will say KRS, and they will both bring up valid points too.

This isnt Boxing or Basketball, where we can say Ali and Michael Jordan are the greatest, and have EVERYONE agree with that.

I guess thats just what makes hip hop unique tho. I think its for the best that not everyone agree's on who's the greatest

OTB
02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
i've seen krs, nas and rakim live and nas and rakim are
almost amateurz compared to the blastmaster on stage

mc and recording artist are two different skillz-
krs iz eazily, by far the illest mc i've seen-
and hiz catalog iz dope-

who haz more dope albumz than krs?

GENERAL WISE
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
RA The Ruggedman > Nas

Nas made illmatic
the rest were great-average. (like any body from the streets)

Nas lost.

deadlymelody
02-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't come in here with RA the fucking Rugged Man on mind leave him out of the all time greats. RA makes no sense. Also, don't complain about MC's that were left out of this man's essay because he's not going to put all 100 of the best MC's ever. It wasn't that well written, but his points and overall thought is accurate. What I particularly liked about is most is how he said Nas isn't a specific type of MC, he's a little bit of everything.

The_SZAs
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Nas Nas Nas
he's damn good PERHAPS the best but hes not my favourite. its like i try not to like him cus im a hip-hop snob. too many people think that illmatic is the greatest hip-hop album of all time(top ten yes) and i go against the people. after all who voted for the nazis? like illmatic is ARGUABLY better album than 36 chambers(sorry guys) but i enjoy listening to wu-tang so much more. they drop knowledge and are innovative Nas follows conventions and as a result when people think of how hip-hop sounds they think of Nas and illmatic
i put off listening to illmatic but when i do and hear him on memory lane i kick myself each time. hes sooo good. personally i have no favourite lyricist because im constantly discovering new underground artists and i cant comment on whos the best because i havent heard everyone.

ScŠth BŠn
02-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Nas' Illmatic was an album that defined rap (in it's pure form) but I don't think it revolutionized rap like KRS-One did (and others). I don't think Nas can be considered the greatest of all time.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Big L was the greatest punch liner but not the best over all

bloodyhookz
02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
who agrees that AZ is nicer than NAS?

02-20-2007, 09:17 AM
i hate debates like this...

but i just have to rep at least Kool G Rap, Percee P, KRS and Gza

Nas may be in a top 10, but he jsut ain't the best

Hayabusa
02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
who agrees that AZ is nicer than NAS?
I agree that Cormega is nicer than both of them...9:|6
For me its
Mega
Esco
AZ

junius
02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
KOOL G was great-- & still good but... But... BUT... what coulda been & what became are two vastly different things.

simple: look at the range of subjects, lyricism he did on his first three albums and everything since then. while credit is due for his often excellent "gangster" songs, the fact that's he's stuck or chose to leave himself in the more & more tiresome "godfather," "scarface" etc world instead of writing about real people, the streets, even his own imination... it's fucking tedious, and unfortunate. (we can make the same argument, to lesser degree, about Prodigy, tho' he never had the range of Kool G. then when P. does step it up like on "Pearly Gates" the jesus assholes AND the record co. cut his nutz off, goddamn.)

man for man... Nas is it. ya'll talking about guys in the game for 2-5 years, what they woulda/coulda done... forget it.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Best MC = NaS or Rakim.

Best Lyricist = GZA.

on a side note i hate it when people bring up the fact that rakim changed the game when they talk about who is the greatest lyricist. compare the music, not the influence they had.

Frank Drebin
02-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Theres no answer to who is GOAT its all opinions. Some people think that Michael Jordan aint the greatest basketball player of all time or that Maradona aint the greatest soccer player of all time. In my opinion Jay-Z is a better Emcee than Nas and I aint even hating on Nas with this its just a personal preference. My personal GOAT is Gza/Genius. Never liked an album more than Liquid Swords and I like his flow delivery and his lyrics are obviously unbelievable.

Hayabusa
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
My vote for GOAT is Common because I can relate most to him and 4 of his albums are 5 of the albums I play more than any albums ever... Althought Deltron 3030 is trying to change that to 3 albums.

grimey
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
pound4pound nas may well be the best ever....

baritone
10-01-2007, 10:07 PM
i love threads like these

niggas be droppin serious jewels

buckshotstheone
10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
i was moved by this post. it convinced me of the nas is the best argument (and i'm the BIGGEST jay-z fan). for those of you who say Big L is the greatest, i'm sorry but as much as i like the dude he put out 1 record and then died. and only has 1 record since. now biggie ain't far behind but he had a huge impact on rap music where as big l is really only focused on amongst underground fans. everyone knows and loves biggie but not everyone loves big l. and part of being a legend, being a "greatest of all time", is the widespread affect you have on people and big l didn't have that. lyrically, yes, he killed it to the extreme each and every time but he really doesn't have the catalogue depth to prove himself or the affect on rap that biggie had so therefore i can't include him in a top 5, maybe not even a top 10. you gotta have staying power and big l never got a chance to prove it. the guy is a fucking incredible MC but i can't put him up there with rakim, krs, jay-z, and nas. just can't do it, sorry

claaa7
10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Nas is probably my favorite MC of all time. I love his flow and wordplay, he usually picks good beats. But what i really like about him is his diverse topics he touch on. Intelligent, political, gangster, love, cinematic stories, he ain't scared to go where other rappers don't dare to talk about. Just look at the singles from God's Son for example; first "Made You Look" - as hardcore as ever, then he put out "I Can" which was a positive record for the children.. Sure he had his high's and lows but at the end of the day he learned from mistakes which can't be said about many other rappers whose had a little limelight.

Chief 'Broom
10-02-2007, 01:42 PM
nicely done

Longbongcilvaringz
10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
ive changed my opinion, NaS is clearly the best mc of all time.

hes excellent in all areas of mc'ing to a degree which no other artists are, over a period of time which is unrivalled.

he might not have the best catalogue of albums, but his work as an mc is clearly better than anyone else in my opinion.

TSA
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
whats with all the KRS one

i listen to this guy over and over and i don't see why everyone likes him so much, he's dope, but not a GOAT.

Big L vs. Nas- L's nastier and can get a stronger reaction from his lines but he's not as diverse in his reach as Nas, and many death didn't give him the chance to prove this but we have to judge what he accomplished not what he could of. Nas's lines are also deeper and more well thought out then L's "Rebel to american civilization caught you sleepin"..shit like that that doesn't have a punchline to it but it's just insane.

Rakim vs. Nas- Rakim is lyrically more influential then nas, but he's strictly a lyricist, he even said so. Nas has a better song making capacity, more reach, and is almost as influential lyrically then Ra, i think he is the second coming of Ra cause he took what Ra was doing with lyrics and completed it.

and everyone's talking about primes, but Nas at his prime made illmatic, and non of these other rapper at their primes did. not taking anything from them, i got nothing but respect but still..come on people

"think of the word the best describe my life to name my daughter"

10 years later having a daughter named Destiny.

Nas is a G.O.A.T, i just which he'd not give a fuck if ppl get him or not and just stop holding back

TSA
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Best MC = NaS or Rakim.

Best Lyricist = GZA.

on a side note i hate it when people bring up the fact that rakim changed the game when they talk about who is the greatest lyricist. compare the music, not the influence they had.

i'd say Gza is the best rhyme writter of all time, hand's down unargued, but as a lyricist i'd give it to Rakim or Eminem(and don't get all faggoty, he'll bury any rapper you know).

TAURO
10-02-2007, 05:18 PM
i'd say Gza is the best rhyme writter of all time, hand's down unargued, but as a lyricist i'd give it to Rakim or Eminem(and don't get all faggoty, he'll bury any rapper you know).

Whats the difference between a "rhyme writer" and a lyricist?

TSA
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Whats the difference between a "rhyme writer" and a lyricist?

he has no delivery

TAURO
10-02-2007, 05:35 PM
he has no delivery

Then clearly that would mean he couldn't be a candidate for best mc. A lyricist is defined by his lyrics, not by his flow.

On a side note you think Gza has no flow?......well I have three solo albums and four group efforts that say otherwise.

TSA
10-02-2007, 05:38 PM
he has flow, but it's not top notch, and im not talking about flow delievery is different.

delivery is bringing it to the listener flow is the rhythm

a lyricist is judge on his ability to spit the lyrics too,

Bis Fan
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Are you Serious serious serious

Bis Fan
10-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Theres no answer to who is GOAT its all opinions. Some people think that Michael Jordan aint the greatest basketball player of all time or that Maradona aint the greatest soccer player of all time. In my opinion Jay-Z is a better Emcee than Nas and I aint even hating on Nas with this its just a personal preference. My personal GOAT is Gza/Genius. Never liked an album more than Liquid Swords and I like his flow delivery and his lyrics are obviously unbelievable.

Good point, home skillet

My vote for GOAT is Common because I can relate most to him and 4 of his albums are 5 of the albums I play more than any albums ever... Althought Deltron 3030 is trying to change that to 3 albums.

Common is in my top five yo

Gza is that dude, feel me

Oh yeah Bis would kill Em

My Hip-Hop triangle offense...Bis, Gza, and Nas :list:

Bis Fan
10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
bullshit.

Big L will never fuck with Rakim for a lot of reasons.

Rakim's asked where he got his style, the niggas says a saxaphone, he wanted to rap as a saxaphone for from that invented the way EVERYONE raps from then on in. And then instead of rhyming the last syllable decided to throw in multiple rhymes in a sentence, rhyme the first syllable, or the middle syllable, and literally wrote a rhyme and sugically disected it with 100s of techniques nobody in hip hop poetry and history have ever used.

think about it this was....new school hip hop was invented for everyone else copying ONE of those styles(melodic rhyme schemes), the other 99 haven't been immitated equalled let alone surpassed.

If anyone hope to innovate that much he'd need to learn how to rap out of his feet.

add that to lyrically he's still considered the top of the pack, and he's 20years in the game. niggas ain't touching shit from 20 years ago today.

in the face of that, who the fuck is Big L

this is why i think he's better then Nas, if not then nas is arguably equal

They don't call him the God for nothing :no:

Bis Fan
10-02-2007, 06:11 PM
a lyricist is judge on his ability to spit the lyrics too,

says who :lmao:

10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
2pac shouldn't even be in the top 20 MCs.
the man had mad deep lyrics, but that ain't what emceein is about...
I mean, dude didn't even write his shit to music... fuck it, I'll put Shakespeare on a Rza beat and we've got ourselves the goat MC.. :) nahmsayin, it ain't like that...
Biggie was dope, but again, not worthy of a top 5.
and Jay-Z? pleeeze. I can name 20 UNSIGNED cats better than him...

I won't get into a debate wether Nas is the goat or not, but I will state that the cat that wrote this essay doesn't know shit.

p.e.a.c.e.

Bis Fan
10-02-2007, 09:25 PM
^ stfu

TSA
10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
everyone thinks he's wack, but yo, Nas Rakim, Wutang, KRS don't have the streets Crankin nothin

i vote Soulja Boy actually.

think about it, he's got the streets
cranking that supa man
spider man
super soaker
aquaman

i mean, lyrically he's kinda wack, but he gets paid tho.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
i actually think gzas flow up until LOTLS is dope, but ive always liked his delivery.

but i dont think it could be argued that he has a better delivery than guys like nas and rakim.

see with that old post, i did used to think gza was a better pure lyricists. but right now id rank nas higher, because of his diversity.

gza may have better word play, and at times imagery, but i think nas is a much better story teller andhe discusses a much broader range of topics than gza.

in the end its about what you want to hear, and for me its hard to rank one above the other. but the fact that nas excels at every facet of mc'ing him just above gza right now.

oh yeah, and i think any discussion ranking mc's pretty much has to ignore influence and importance. i dont see how that is factored into how good someone is, and influence is just as subjective as any other opinion about music.

Bis Fan
10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
A lyricist with no master and no financier
after the disaster I will die from laughter :lmao:

Hayabusa
10-03-2007, 12:41 PM
2pac shouldn't even be in the top 20 MCs.
the man had mad deep lyrics, but that ain't what emceein is about...
I mean, dude didn't even write his shit to music... fuck it, I'll put Shakespeare on a Rza beat and we've got ourselves the goat MC.. :) nahmsayin, it ain't like that...
Biggie was dope, but again, not worthy of a top 5.
and Jay-Z? pleeeze. I can name 20 UNSIGNED cats better than him...

I won't get into a debate wether Nas is the goat or not, but I will state that the cat that wrote this essay doesn't know shit.

p.e.a.c.e.
just for pure entertainment. i'd love the hear your top 10 list of underground rappers better than jay-z. not 20 but just 10. I'm not a big jay fan but i'ves got a ton of repsect for his music. To me Kingdom Come has replay value because I listened to it yesterday and liked the album more than I did when i listened to it a year ago.

kaptin_amerika
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
That was such a well written summary ........ Nas is ..... and always WILL be ..... the greatest MC of all time .......

- kap.a / www.COPSHOPMUSIC.com (http://www.COPSHOPMUSIC.com)

10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
just for pure entertainment. i'd love the hear your top 10 list of underground rappers better than jay-z. not 20 but just 10. I'm not a big jay fan but i'ves got a ton of repsect for his music. To me Kingdom Come has replay value because I listened to it yesterday and liked the album more than I did when i listened to it a year ago.

is that the album where he says "I pack heat like the oven door" LMAO

I can think of about 8, 9 of them off the top right now: chill rob g, craig g, streetlife, pack fm, d-nique, supernat, juice, mf grimm (I think the dude is still unsigned, sorry if I'm wrong)

peace

Hayabusa
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
is that the album where he says "I pack heat like the oven door" LMAO

I can think of about 8, 9 of them off the top right now: chill rob g, craig g, streetlife, pack fm, d-nique, supernat, juice, mf grimm (I think the dude is still unsigned, sorry if I'm wrong)

peace
juice and supernat is freestyle rappers thats one dimensional as hell. I like mf grimm much as the next guy but I wouldn't say that his career is better than jay's. But on another note. :hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray: for the Fredrich Nitzetche quote in your sig. U ever check into reading his book the anti-christ? some good shit in that book.:i

ronaldo6
10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
nas is the g.o.a.t in my opinion

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Nas is a great rapper, I just don't feel a lot of his tracks. Not enough consistancy in his beats for me. I know that's got nothinbg to do with his skills, but it affects my enjoyment of listening to him, so it's what counts.

TAURO
10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
^^He does have an uncanny ability of picking shitty beats.

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-04-2007, 01:35 PM
^^ Yeah, I guess it does affect his skills, cos good beat selection is a skill. And to think it all started so promisingly. I think the best track I've heard recently by Nas was actually a remix that he had nothing to do with, so he actually ended up on a really raw beat:

Nas - Hip-Hop Is Dead (Ravage Remix)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/357553649fae05/

Durag
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Nas may be goat for me, if he picked better beats for some of his albums he would def be top. I forget about Streets Desciple coz i think its fuckin terrible. I truley hate that album, and whilst Hip Hop Is Dead is better is still aint great

Krimewave
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Nas aint the goat.

Ghostface Killah is.

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Ghostface aint the goat.

GZA/Genius is.

claaa7
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Naah, i think GZA spits it too complicated for me to enjoy sometimes.. plus he's got a good flow but not like Nas or Raekwon..

LuckyTheWonderDog
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong with complicated. And nothing like a statement of fact rather than an opinion!