PDA

View Full Version : Books That Made You Weirder/ More Interesting

Ultimate Fist
02-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Post books that changed yourlife so much they either made you more interesting or more weird (or both).

For me it had to be this set of books. For a real trip, I'm tell you, you gotta read this group of books together. They will change you in major ways when read together, even though the authors, as far as I know, never met each other.

1. Aleister Crowley- Book 4
2. Joseph Campbell- Myths To Live By
3. Glenn Morris- Pathnotes Of An American Ninja Master
4. Matthew Fox- One River, Many Wells.

Ultimate Fist
02-24-2007, 09:27 PM
To start you out, Book 4 can be read online here:

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aba/aba1.html

LHX
02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
dam Fist - i aint know you read Crowley

for me - The Illuminatus Trilogy - Robert Anton Wilson
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
The Book of the SubGenius
The Medium is the Massage - Marshall McLuhan
Revelation X

ill see if i can think of more

Ultimate Fist
02-24-2007, 09:34 PM
The Book of the SubGenius is great!

Ultimate Fist
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Medium is the massage sounds interesting- I just read the wikipedia article.

the silencer
02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
NICE fuckin thread...

i'm afraid i cant really list any though...

i mean i read a shitload of books but none of them seem to be on this level...shit like the Tao Te Ching, I-Ching, Bhagavad Gita that i'm sure u guys read already...and history/science stuff (all Carl Sagan's work, Jared Diamond's 3 books) or political shit...

i gotta cop some of these, that Crowley book is pretty deep upon first glance

LHX
02-24-2007, 09:52 PM
my favorite Crowley book was Liber Al

The Book of the SubGenius might very well be the greatest book ever written in the english language

the only thing working against it is that it is huge

i wish it was novel size instead of comic book size

maestro wooz
02-24-2007, 11:20 PM
i feel like an amateur ledge knower but

the death of ivan ilyich by leo tolstoy and the lesson on it from my teacher struck me, makes you think about everytime you tell someone youre sorry when youre not really sorry

AcidPhosphate69
02-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Cocaine: an unauthorized biography by Dominic Steathfeild (maybe wrong on the last name)

Either way, it's a pretty much detail history of cocaine from ancient Incas using it to modern times. It pretty much covers everything about coke. I wish I still had it because I learned a lot from it but I know I forgot more that I remembered.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Dont know the original name of the book, but i think its called "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow"

WARPATH
02-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Books that come to mind:

The Punisher

Wolverine

X-Men

Lone Wolf and Cub

Incredible Hulk

Spider-Man

Mause

Webster's Dictionary

The Lakota-English Dictionary

How To Eat Fried Worms

Penthouse

Playboy

Hustler

Fox in Socks

And every choose your own adventure book ever made.

bizzlez
02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Green Eggs And Ham

I wrote a book report on it. One of those where you're supposed to read a book over the summer and do a report at the beginning of the school year. I got a B+. It most definitely made me dumber.

But seriously, I got this book called, "The Purpose Driven Life," by, Rick Warren. It's supposed to be a really good book, but I haven't read anything but the cover. I think its supposed to be religious.

As you can tell, I'm not a big reader.

Prolifical ENG
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
The Art of Peace
Mind Manipulation
With Good Reason

GAYLORD
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Clockwork Orange had an huge impact on me and the way I see Good/Bad in society.

"The Art of Loving" by Erich Fromm did that on another level.

froth
02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Cosmic Trigger 1, by Robert Anton Wilson

Frontal Lobotomy
02-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Neinteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
02-27-2007, 03:43 PM
"Goodfellas we know, best sellers become novels." GFK

Crime and Punnishment, by Dostotyevsky,

Sidheartha by Herman Hess, - this book is guarenteed to be spiritual inspiration for younger heads

Steppenwolf by Hermen Hess-- spirtiual and life insterperation for older heads, (madmen only)

Read the Koran in Arabic when your high on weed, from right to left, if you dont do weed, then just focus on your minds eye and read the koran from right to left while listening to the words while you look at them.

GAYLORD
02-27-2007, 10:34 PM
^arabic is always read from right to left isnt it?

froth
02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
siddartha?

Tito
02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Francisco Goya By Damn I Forgot His Name But He Is A Great American Author. I Seen Every Thing In This Book Like In Real Life

It Is A Good Book.. Check 4 Autobiographies On This Painter Francisco Goya . By An Old White Guy .. Sitting In His Porch.. On The Back Of The Cover Towards The End .. It Is A Good Book

He Even Threw Casanova In There Sick

MonkeySmuggler
02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Ham On Rye was the best introduction to litterature I could get
Then I read Factotum which made me want to be a bum
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is incredibly funny, Hunter S. Thompson created the craziest pictures and metaphors ever written down
Notes From The Underground was the first book I read by Dostojevskij
Later I read Crime And Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov
I read Brave New World by Huxley, but I didn't like it. Try Doors Of Perception instead
As mentioned above, Steppenwolf is a good read, I read it while I was in jail. They had lots of great books there, Sexus, The Stranger, The Old Man And The Sea. Hunger, Journey To The End Of The Night, Junky, Nausea, A Night Of Serious Drinking, Mt. Analogue, The Lost Weekend, all reccomended

bizzlez
03-01-2007, 12:38 AM
its not a book, just a short story of a former agnostic, who figured out for himself why Jesus died, and how he saved the world

http://www.leaderu.com/isr/articles_resources/whydidjesusdie.html

I enjoyed reading the kids story

Jet Set
03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
I read some books, I just can't see me changed. The books come through me and than just dissappear. I take it and I'm like okay. When confronatation comes about teh subject, it may change.
But I really haven't seen me change since I read a book.

Jet Set
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Doors of Perception was a short but interesting read. It had some facts I needed on my New Spirtuality essay, as the linkage between so called narcostis or drugs and religion.

the silencer
03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
i finally came up with an answer for this..

Albert Einstein-Ideas and Opinions

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Siddheartha, is about the Buddha and his personal legend.

On that note the ALCHEMIST is anoghter legendery good book,

And another good book is ELECTRIC COOL AID ASID TEST, by Tom Wolf
which relates to all things Friedreich Nietzche, and to such wize topics as:...

Yes I said to read it backward, but what ever, I wasnt sure when I had it in my hands weather to read it backward, or weather or not you just were supposed to read from the back of the book to the front...

And the fact that I could hear the words in my head made me think i was doing something right, but when I had doubts I would say to my self, maby I'm wrong maby it's not even supposed to be read from right to left.

zeppelin2k
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
fear and laothing is definately the shit
I have way too many to name alot of them have been said here's one though

Brave New World

those who havent read it, pick it up

CEITEDMOFO
03-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Im Too Cool 2 Be Weird

MonkeySmuggler
03-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Brave New World