PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

MR HIP HOP HEAD
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.philly.com/images/philly/dailynews/16757/280811877945.jpg

More tough-love talk from Cosby
He joins Save Our Children forum

By DAMON C. WILLIAMS

Comedian, author and native Philadelphian Bill Cosby posed a serious question yesterday to the audience at a Save Our Children forum in the auditorium of Community College of Philadelphia.

He first asked audience members who had lost loved ones to violence to stand up. More than 75 percent of those in the room stood.

"This is insane," he said. He then asked his question, "Where are we going as parents, as people?"

Speaking in simple, blunt terms, Cosby urged parents not to address their children in negative ways.

"Your child's name is not n-----, your 2-year-old child's name is not mother------," Cosby said, to rousing cheers and just a few gasps from parents in attendance.

Cosby's main issues in his keynote address as one of a number of speakers at the Community College-sponsored "Save Our Children - Exhoodus Tour" were parenting, education and drug-selling, all of which he touched on with just a hint of comedy.

Typical of Cosby's style of stinging and controversial commentary, he also faulted the love shown to the late rapper Tupac Shakur. He said it was crazy for Shakur, who was fatally shot in Las Vegas in 1996, and his mother to enjoy the proceeds from Shakur's drug sales.

"In the book, 'To Momma With Love,' or something like that, he is so happy that he's able to take money from selling cocaine and give the money to his mother," Cosby said.

"How wonderful. Isn't that wonderful. You've got to be kidding. How many lives have you ruined selling packets? How many mothers are not going to go to work because they want to snort? How many dead mothers because of crack, how many babies we got to make turn around because they are crack babies?"

Cosby said the house Shakur bought his mother should be adorned with the pictures of users who died due to drug use.

"Hang up the pictures of the people's lives you ruined," Cosby declared.

Cosby also briefly addressed the criticisms he has endured recently, saying that he doesn't pick on the poor but rather, he tells it like it is.

"[People say] 'Bill Cosby is picking on the poor.' I couldn't care less," Cosby said, with a little edge in his voice. "I'm telling you why your child is sad inside. I would keep my mouth shut if [parents] were doing things."

Cosby also said that he had the right to say what he says because he came from where the people he was addressing came from.

"Up to the age 26, [I lived at] 6159 N. 41st Street," Cosby said. "So don't play games with me. I've seen all of you, whether you are rich, poor or middle-income. And I know when you talk too much, and I know why you talk too much. And that's why I can say what I want to say."

Cosby was joined by Malik Aziz and Bilal Qayyum of Black Men United for a Better Philadelphia; the Rev. Derrick Johnson, of Joshua Harvest Church in Wilmington, Del; Umar Salahuddin, Atlantic City's director of health and human services; Michelle A. Simmons of Why Not Prosper, Inc.; Antoinette Jackson-Aziz, executive vice president of the Ex-Offenders Association of Pennsylvania; and brothers Lance and Todd Feurtado, motivational speakers from Queens, N.Y.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/16754428.htm

He must not have heard alot of 2Pac

staycreepin_n_silence
02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I like bill cosby because he speaks the truth a lot of black people need to hear. I have notice that the blacks that are offended are the ones that he is talking about. As far as what he said about 2 pac that's just his opinion about the whole drug dealing lifestyle. I am not a fan of drug sales when you can get a just and increase the employment rate. You will have less crime in the areas that are dominately black and we as people can build something that can last a life time. Drug dealers real one either die young, broke or in jail. What kind of legacy is that?

But I know alot of you are young white and immature to fully respect the voice cosby has.

Prolifical ENG
02-26-2007, 08:47 PM
"These kids today...they listen too much of the rap music."

Oh yeah he needs to listen to Changes.

Godbrother
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Where was Cosby when crack broke out

Why didn't he sat down and talk to 2pac

I have to disagree with you on that FAM

Its no different from your time or my time in growing up

The youth's foundation are built out of stand-a-lone rocks basically they will not learn until they reach late 20 early 30 for a good majority of them

Prolifical ENG
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I have to disagree with you on that FAM

Its no different from your time or my time in growing up

The youth's foundation are built out of stand-a-lone rocks basically they will not learn until they reach late 20 early 30 for a good majority of them

lol, notice the quotations and the way Bill Cosby talks ;D

THE W
02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
black people's culture of self-hatred, self-pity, and lethergy was there way before hiphop was around.

WeMadeIt
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Like a true artist, 2Pac's music showed the different phases and emotions of his life. Because of this, it's easy to describe Tupac any way you want : the die-hard thug, the romantic, the social activist, the playboy. All depends on what song you listen to. I see where Bill Cosby's coming from though. Tupac was a lot smarter then he pretended in public, and obviously put on a facade towards the end of his life.

chiba
02-27-2007, 12:05 AM

well tupac does call it like he sees it!
tupac expressed the ghetto life through his music
he didnt promote violence, he was just sayin how it is in the hood
and alot of ppl could relate to that

i dont know what song cosby heard

then again i bet cosby does have a tupac album somewhere
i mean who doesnt
im surprized he didnt say something about 50 cent
why is tryin to wake the dead
barely anybody listens to 2pac now a days

i understand if hes mad at the state of hip hop today
but back then hip hop was at its best in terms of content
and artistic expression (ex- biggie, nas, tupac, public enemy, krs-one, de la soul, tribe called quest, the roots, epmd, fugees, rakim, gangstarr, slick rick, wu tang clan, boot camp click, jay-z, nwa etc)

ppl sell crack on the streets coz its hard to find a job if your a puerto rican or black etc
its even harder when u have a criminal record
nobody will hire a convict
drug dealin is a job that doesnt care about your skin color
drug dealers aint stupid they have to be on point to avoid gettin busted
they aint always snortin or gettin high coz they would waste alot of their product

maybe cosby is tryin to get publicity??
he prolly wanted to call out 50 but he got scared and chose tupac LOL

peace

Edgar Erebus
02-27-2007, 04:53 AM
The curse of gangsta rap: it brought hip-hop culture popularity Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash prolly never thought of when they started DJ'ing back in '70-s. At the same time it also made hip-hop an image of thugness, gangster aura, and this is impossible to lose. I'm speaking from personal experience: even when someone not into hip-hop notices you listening to KRS, he's like "Wow, he listens to rap. He's gangsta."

In that way hip-hop - the mainstream, blatant version of hip-hop - is destroying young lives all around the world. Too many people know about hip-hop as a culture of guns, drugs, sex and violence. Too many people haven't got a clue about that kind of hip-hop that spreads knowledge and positive values. Because it doesn't sell anymore, because it isn't played on the radio. Days of BDP and A Tribe Called Quest are, obviously, forgotten.

That's why Cosby said that about hip-hop, because mainstream cats swear too much, because they talka bout guns and drugs and they sell. Because when someone wants to show what a rebel he is he starts listening to gangsta rap and acting gangsta. I could make even more philosophy about this, you know, now you're a rebel when you sniff coke and fuck as much as you can and not when you're against the establishment, but I'll develop it later.

But I know alot of you are young white and immature to fully respect the voice cosby has.
Now tell me what the fuck got color to do with it? I'm white and young and proud of both, so does that mean I'm not able to respect Cosby's wisdom?

Jet Set
02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I think he brings the other side quite heavy and needed. The sides are getting more diverse and, although I know Cosby had similar talks, this one should be listened to. As the turth is always somewhere in between.

TSA
02-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Oh yeah he needs to listen to Changes.

no he doesn't. Tupac stood for A LOT that i respect the hell out of, expecially listening to "2pacalypse now"(i've never related to album that much in my life), but the human race, white and black, is stupider then we want to believe.

10% of tupacs fans are the ones that respect his "changes" material, the rest respect the "thug" image and really have no clue to it's political meaning, they just see him as cool and badass so they follow the stupid shit he did without root like he had, so cosby is right, if he makes inspirational music fuck it, if he makes dumb shit that'll influence dumb people it'll have more effect and therefore he's fucking shit up like it or not.

It's a sad story, but Tupcas influence has done more bad then good, but there's a lot of good and only the intellegent picked up on it, for the rest that see and glorify the gay shit, that's whom cosby is rightfully mad and, and mad at pac for makng gay shit to being with.

TSA
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
[quote=Slim T;748836]

That's why Cosby said that about hip-hop, because mainstream cats swear too much, because they talka bout guns and drugs and they sell. Because when someone wants to show what a rebel he is he starts listening to gangsta rap and acting gangsta. I could make even more philosophy about this, you know, now you're a rebel when you sniff coke and fuck as much as you can and not when you're against the establishment, but I'll develop it later.

quote]

god bless the last part of this paragraph

11th Chamber
02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Cosby has been speakin the truth for some time, but he also never shuts up about the whole hip hop situation

Dokuro
02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
who cares about cosby es a bitch

cosby, oprah, o reilly vs all hip hop any ways
if they wana fight we will win

bloodyhookz
02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I see his point, but why does he have to shit on Pac like that?, leave the late great legend alone, go lecture Theo somewhere Bill!

DJMethods
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
The curse of gangsta rap: it brought hip-hop culture popularity Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash prolly never thought of when they started DJ'ing back in '70-s. At the same time it also made hip-hop an image of thugness, gangster aura, and this is impossible to lose. I'm speaking from personal experience: even when someone not into hip-hop notices you listening to KRS, he's like "Wow, he listens to rap. He's gangsta."

In that way hip-hop - the mainstream, blatant version of hip-hop - is destroying young lives all around the world. Too many people know about hip-hop as a culture of guns, drugs, sex and violence. Too many people haven't got a clue about that kind of hip-hop that spreads knowledge and positive values. Because it doesn't sell anymore, because it isn't played on the radio. Days of BDP and A Tribe Called Quest are, obviously, forgotten.

This is the TRUTH! It's a shame, not many people will read this, but it's perfectly put.

bloodyhookz
02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
yeah I read it, well put, these people don't know that the rich corporate mothafuckas have a plan to destroy the youth of today with all this blingy, gangsta shit, there's no knowledge behind the music anymore, they have the power of t.v. and the airwaves to control the substance the people are addicted to, hiphop, but it's not hiphop anymore, it's POP!

THE W
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
when hiphop artists start taking responsiblity for what hiphop has become and stop blaming the media and the record labels, things will start to change.