PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lyrics Booklets

Tecknowledgist
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I remember back in the day when a tape/CD cover would have more than just promotional pictures and production credits inside, but the lyrics to all the songs on that particular album. Why did this stop? There's lyrics on my PE and Eric B/Rakim albums. I used to listen to them and read the lyrics simultaneously. I think it's important, especially with artists like Wu-Tang (where the lyrics are so important), that the lyrics are represented correctly to avoid confusion. I'm sick of seeing incorrect lyrics on the web. Why would you WANT people to misunderstand you? It doesn't take long to throw that shit in.

I was just reminded of this when I bought the new Blackalicious album. They actually had the lyrics inside, and even though a lot of it was wrong, it was still a nice change.

Tito
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I Member When I Bought The Hello Nasty C D By The Beasties..

It Was Sick I Memorized The Songs.. After This ..

"well Now Dont U Tell Me To" -

drippie k
03-01-2007, 06:54 AM
outkast did that shit till idlewild...dammit

cap
03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
yeah the only albums i think i have like that are aquemeni & i am...

Jet Set
03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I got I am in Japanese, haha.

It's shame it's vanishing. The added value of lyrics is certainly misjudged. Or maybe it's just the season of the lyrics.

venex
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
yeah, I used to read them too, when listening to the album...

you don't come around that much nowadays...

but pictures and stuff are also nice :)

TAURO
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
On the Psycho Realm albums they always had their lyrics printed. I think it's only worth having lyrics in booklets if the artist actually has shit to say because I don't think I would care if young jeezy or (insert weak rapper) printed their shit.

INF
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
The College Dropout album had all the lyrics. Printing the lyrics is a wise move.

brown_dogg
03-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Cage's Hell's Winter had the lyrics. so did the DangerDoom and Gnarls Barkley albums.

it's definitely nice to see the actual lyrics, rather than some weird shit on a website.

Sun Supreme
03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I was glad the newest roots album "game Theory" had the lyrics in the booklet cause Black thought is dat nigga and it made me focus on the lyrics even more. I did enjoy ?estlove's commentary on the songs in the other roots album booklets though.

Bis Fan
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I remember some of the lyrics in booklets being wrong so fuck it

11th Chamber
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Eminem Show had lyrics in the booklet

xHard to Earnx
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I can't think of many with the lyrics.

Daily Operation
Paid In Full
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
The Mouse and the Mask
Kingdom Come
The Minstrel Show
Madvilliany

Those are the only ones I own that come to mind right now. But who needs them anyway? Listen to the motherfucker talk if you care so much.

MX1
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
i know what your saying and with fucking ghostface and shit i need to know what the fuck he's saying and its hard to do that cuz i dont trust half shit on the internet

El Barón
03-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I think that one of the reasons about the fact we cannot have the lyrics in the tape/cd booklets, is to prevent the illegals copies.

As a resident of the province of Québec (yes, it's for that reason I've an english not to developed and even, the use of bad word in english, but in Québec those aren't a bad signification so thanks to prevent me) the problem of music hacking is really serious, and cause big problems for the Industry, Hip Hop music and others styles. And the problem is not only in Québec.

One of the best way to protect the musicians is to prevent the takeoff and falsifications of their tunes or album.

But great people diffuse the lyrics by website. The accessibility is not over yet.

(forgive me for the bad grammar)

xHard to Earnx
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM

That doesn't even come close to making sense.

Durag
03-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Reflection Eternal also had da lyrics printed in da booklet fuckin amazin lyrics by Kweli

Sean
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM

That doesn't even come close to making sense.

Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking.

yes, it's for that reason I've an english not to developed and even, the use of bad word in english, but in Québec those aren't a bad signification so thanks to prevent me

Longbongcilvaringz
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I was glad the newest roots album "game Theory" had the lyrics in the booklet cause Black thought is dat nigga and it made me focus on the lyrics even more. I did enjoy ?estlove's commentary on the songs in the other roots album booklets though.

i always enjoyed that commentary, id prefer to have that then the lyrics.

Rebel_INS
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Yea those are dope... but the words are 2 small :( haha. I just look at ohhla.com :)

FrenchShin
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
RIP cover art.

simple as that.

xHard to Earnx
03-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Reflection Eternal also had da lyrics printed in da booklet fuckin amazin lyrics by Kweli

I bought this and all it had was a shittly one page thing with the cover on one side and a Rawkus ad on the other.

Assassinator
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
i think its cool but i prefer commentry like on Diverse - one a.m. cd, i usually like to listen over and over and figure the lyrics out for myself. i can also undestand cats with english being their 2nd language that may find it hard to understand certain words/lines.

Tecknowledgist
03-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Just noticed on the front page that Cilvaringz will have the lyrics included. Good job.

And for those who say "just listen to the guy," look at this forum. There's an entire board for lyric interpretation, and every second thread therein has debates on correct lyrics.

And you can't say "just look at lyrics websites." Are you kidding me? The majority of the time, the lyrics are incorrect, or just downright impossible to decipher anyway.

I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt.

LilDirtyBastard
03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
BOAP had lyrics in the booklet

Jet Set
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Let's just state that it's a declining trend. Just like vinyl.

Visionz
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I bought this and all it had was a shittly one page thing with the cover on one side and a Rawkus ad on the other.I think it's fair to say you were sold a bootleg copy

Let's just state that it's a declining trend. Just like vinyl. sad indeed, especially the vinyle (even if it has people givin away records that I'll be happy to take from 'em.

The Blackstar didn't have lyrics, but they would go into the inspiration for a certain song. That's some insight worth havin'. Page upon page of shoutouts isn't cool unless your name's on the page somewhere.

xHard to Earnx
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah, Best Buy sells bootlegs now.

Maybe the failed Rawkus does whatever they can to make money at this point off their back catalog? Yeah, that sounds about right.

tical2000
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I remember back in the day when a tape/CD cover would have more than just promotional pictures and production credits inside, but the lyrics to all the songs on that particular album. Why did this stop? There's lyrics on my PE and Eric B/Rakim albums. I used to listen to them and read the lyrics simultaneously. I think it's important, especially with artists like Wu-Tang (where the lyrics are so important), that the lyrics are represented correctly to avoid confusion. I'm sick of seeing incorrect lyrics on the web. Why would you WANT people to misunderstand you? It doesn't take long to throw that shit in.

I was just reminded of this when I bought the new Blackalicious album. They actually had the lyrics inside, and even though a lot of it was wrong, it was still a nice change.

I think alot of cats today dont want to include there lyrics, so people can see how wack they are....plus alot of these young cats dont really take pride in lyrics today

2L8Lit da croatianMC
03-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Birth Of A Prince has lyrics inside, and its good u can read it on the spot while checkin the track..

Alcryt
03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Let's just state that it's a declining trend. Just like vinyl.

Haha i just got Golden Arms Redemption on vinyl, by accident though i meant to get the cd and ordered it to fast to notice.
Now i gotta sell it cause i dont have a working vinyl player. :=)

Back on topic i like being able to read lyrics, its one of the things which make it better to buy music on cd rather than download it.

Wzarecta
03-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I bought this and all it had was a shittly one page thing with the cover on one side and a Rawkus ad on the other.
My Blackstar is like that, thats how it was re-released, but my Reflection Eternal has a full sleeve with lyrics.

xHard to Earnx
03-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh, hey. That's what I was thinking of. You put two Kweli things in front of me, I'm bound to get shit twisted.

Alcryt
03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Just got 'Mo Mega' by Mr Lif and was happy to find the lyrics inside the booklet ohhh yea!! :thumbup: