PDA

View Full Version : Love for DJ Premier is a double standard

TAURO
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Hear me out, Premo is considered one of the greats by everyone in hip hop both underground and commercial, everyone wants Premo production.

Why is it then that mainstream rappers love Premo yet they distance themselves from the boom bap sound?
Premo's production stays true to the ninties sound yet rappers say that shit is played out, but when Premo does it, it's ok, why is that?

VallKano
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
who mainstream has even used a premo beat in years?
christina aguilera lmao

Edgar Erebus
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
^^ Don't forget Limp Bizkit, LOL

Every commercial rapper used Premo to keep at least some minimum of street cred, but then they left it to concentrate on money making and money rappin.

Where is Nas' recent work with Premo BTW?

Sideoutfox
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Hear me out, Premo is considered one of the greats by everyone in hip hop both underground and commercial, everyone wants Premo production.

Why is it then that mainstream rappers love Premo yet they distance themselves from the boom bap sound?
Premo's production stays true to the ninties sound yet rappers say that shit is played out, but when Premo does it, it's ok, why is that?

i see what ur saying and have recognized that as well. i have no idea

Jeru
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
They acknowledge him as a legend but mainstream people don't see hits in his music.I mean in the new millenium, how many mainstream hits has Premo produced?I can name one : Ain't no other man by Christina Aguilera.
They respect him but that's where it ends and that's just sad.

TAURO
03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
They acknowledge him as a legend but mainstream people don't see hits in his music.I mean in the new millenium, how many mainstream hits has Premo produced?I can name one : Ain't no other man by Christina Aguilera.
They respect him but that's where it ends and that's just sad.

Thats a good explanation and kind of what I thought too, although I can't help thinking it all sounds so hypocritical, Premo might not be the guy to go to in terms of the pop single, but he is the guy to go to for the street single and that is almost just as important even for todays rappers.

Prolifical ENG
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
It doesn't matter. Unlike before producer names is what sells albums these days, and DJ Premier is one of those names that catches a large group of listener's attention. Look at Jay-Z's last album and how precise the producer roster was in the track lists before the album was even out.

This can pretty much go for any legendary producer.

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Look at Jay-Z's last album and how precise the producer roster was in the track lists before the album was even out.

Yeah it was wack, Syience, Mark Batson, Chris Martin, DJ Kahlil, pff, Jay Z is a running joke

Blastah
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, there's this BANGIN' new Big Shug track produced by Primo that criticizes this same issue... its a dedication to Premier, Shug goes like "its a shame now y'all got big deals/you feel there's no need for the wheels of the steel", and in the end "and you, mister Nasty man, we all love your sh*t... but YOU know you need DJ Premier, it is what it is..." I don't know if that's directed to Nas lol. I can upload it if y'all want, the quality is sh*tty though...

Good thread Tauro. I see what you mean, and it is indeed a shame... but Primo's always been f*ckin' with mainstream, recently he did that Black Eyed Peas & J. Timberlake Remix and the Agallah joint... J Hood too. He's supposed to be on the forthcoming albums of Papoose, Rhymefest, and a pop star which I don't remember the name...

...regardless, Primo and RZA are GOAT imo ;)

Prolifical ENG
03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah it was wack, Syience, Mark Batson, Chris Martin, DJ Kahlil, pff, Jay Z is a running joke

how about the OTHER 4 that will charge up the ass for a beat?

8 producers? hmmm 10 years ago 1 producer would do a whole album.

THE W
03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
PBDMD

Premo
Beats
Dont
Make
Dollars

TAURO
03-07-2007, 06:24 PM
PBDMD

Premo
Beats
Dont
Make
Dollars

But they do make sense.

Jin10304
03-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Where is Nas' recent work with Premo BTW?

Well his most recent one is the Classic track with West, KRS n Rakim BUT I ha heard that Lost Tapes 2 will feature the Premo work that he did for Streets Disciple that was later cut

Prolifical ENG
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
PBDMD

Premo
Beats
Dont
Make
Dollars

How many people on this site do you think will check out a given album if they hear Premo is doing at least some of the production?

TAURO
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
It seems Royce da 5'9 is gonna get there first....well sort of, half his production is going to be Premo produced and Premo is also overseeing the entire album.

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
PBDMD

Premo
Beats
Dont
Make
Dollars

I'd of bought the Jay album and the Nas album if i'd of known Preme was producing them, so would alot of other heads that have turned away from the game, PLUS these fools wouldda still sold that many copies with Preme, you tellin me it would of turned anyone away? Nah.

Jay Z is the one to blame, he could have one single by Neptunes/Just Blaze/Kanye and still sell the same copies, most of the ppl buying his shit dont know shit about producers anyway.

I hate Jay, he's turned inot a corporate business fag, loo how he's trying to buy out the competition then shut em down. Thats corporate business all over 4 ya. He and DefJam are doing it/ did it with Ghost, took the hottest name out of his game for the $$$, and then eliminating competition. He's doing the same with Meth aswell now. And the Roots, they are threats to him.

TAURO
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I completley agree.

THE W
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I'd of bought the Jay album and the Nas album if i'd of known Preme was producing them, so would alot of other heads that have turned away from the game, PLUS these fools wouldda still sold that many copies with Preme, you tellin me it would of turned anyone away? Nah.

you guys arent looking at the big picture. how many fully produced premo albums went gold or platinum? sure, he makes bangers but dude doesnt move units, true story.

and dont try bringing up christina cuz if you truly believe that song was a hit because of premo then your deluding yourself. premo has been on many albums that would've blew with or without his beats.

the reason why kanye, neptunes, and dre are getting mainstream work over premo, Rza, pete rock is cuz them dudes get records sold.

THE W
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
How many people on this site do you think will check out a given album if they hear Premo is doing at least some of the production?
this site makes up maybe 1% of the hiphop consumer.

TAURO
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
you guys arent looking at the big picture. how many fully produced premo albums went gold or platinum? sure, he makes bangers but dude doesnt move units, true story.

and dont try bringing up christina cuz if you truly believe that song was a hit because of premo then your deluding yourself. premo has been on many albums that would've blew with or without his beats.

the reason why kanye, neptunes, and dre are getting mainstream work over premo, Rza, pete rock is cuz them dudes get records sold.

But answer this, do you think the teeny boppers would bump his beats if Young Jeezy or (insert ABC rapper here) rhymed over them?

THE W
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
its a question of marketability, not quality.

not sure if the jeezy fans would want to hear the style that premo brings to the table. but they'd support the record just because its jeezy.

Prolifical ENG
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
this site makes up maybe 1% of the hiphop consumer.

It was meant for the targeted consumer but looks like you assumed. Nevertheless that 1% gives you that much more sales and profit....its still a lot.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Jay Z is the one to blame, he could have one single by Neptunes/Just Blaze/Kanye and still sell the same copies, most of the ppl buying his shit dont know shit about producers anyway.

I hate Jay, he's turned inot a corporate business fag, loo how he's trying to buy out the competition then shut em down. Thats corporate business all over 4 ya. He and DefJam are doing it/ did it with Ghost, took the hottest name out of his game for the $$$, and then eliminating competition. He's doing the same with Meth aswell now. And the Roots, they are threats to him.

seriously - what kind of fucking idiot are you..........

did bpw sell units to compete with jay?

how many albums did meth want to put out in the last 9 years?

wtf? Roots? Competition? Nas was competition so he dissed him, how are these acts competition in anyway commercially? Thats 50 cent or camron.

Still lets blame jay z for the end or premos career and the shitty sate hip hop is in and all the bad things in the world

lmao

THE W
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
It was meant for the targeted consumer but looks like you assumed. Nevertheless that 1% gives you that much more sales and profit....its still a lot.
how many people on this site do you think went out and got that christina aguilara album? i didnt(i DLed the premo songs), did you?

i see where you're going though, you wanna maximize your audience. but i dont think dudes are gonna go and buy an album from an artists they traditionally dont like cuz their favorite producer made 1 to 4 tracks.

Prolifical ENG
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
nah that recent christina album is an extreme case. a producer cant make you switch sides of an artist you already know.

Blastah
03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Check that Shug track I was talkin' about, he'll explain better than all of us why you can't go without Primo...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/big-shug-untitled-primo-track-mp3.html

Razorsharp
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

niiiice topic... damn... cuz we love premo so much and we are on production tip... and it shows that he is so versitile? :D

Longbongcilvaringz
03-08-2007, 01:05 AM
its a question of marketability, not quality.

not sure if the jeezy fans would want to hear the style that premo brings to the table. but they'd support the record just because its jeezy.

yes and thats why commercial artists get premo, they already have a fan base who buy their music, because of their previous work etc.

but they want to branch out into other areas, premo production (as several people have said already) makes an album appear to have credibility with fans of 90's hip hop. having premo on your album exposes an artist to a greater range of consumers rather than just radio listeners etc.

Edgar Erebus
03-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Here's what Premo did last year

* Agallah - You Already Know (tracks: New York Ryder Music)
* AZ - The Format (track: The Format)
* Blaq Poet - Rewind: Deja Screw (tracks: Bang This, Message from Poet, Watch Your Back, Poet Has Come)
* Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics (tracks: Intro (Back to Basics), Back in the Day, Ain't No Other Man, Still Dirrty, Thank You (Dedication to the Fans))
* Smiley the Ghetto Child - The Antidote (track: The Wake Up Call)

Conclusion: he appears on albums in same way as before - 1 mainstream vs. 3 by respected underground artists and 1 by a newbie. Same as before - he just made more tracks back in the day so he was more visible. Besides, he always claimed he's underground (his shoutouts on MOP's and Big L's albums), so I think he's quite happy with him not in the mainstream.

You gotta know that everyone has his heyday and the day his artistic power starts to diminish - the really great artist just realizes when the time has come and he decreases amount of his tracks to prevent bullshit surfacing.

GSTYLE
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Its plain and simple, fans of raw hip hop love premo beats, but they arent huge in numbers. Rappers want whats popular outside of that fanbase in order to make big sales. Also dont forget Premo samples a lot, rappers dont wanna give up that publishing. Theyd rather give Swizz Beatz $100k for a sample-free beat than $30k for Premo beat that will eat up some of their publishing income. We also cant forget that Premo is a very busy man, Nas has begged premo for beats for years but has to wait so long that he puts his album out without waiting. Thats been well-documented with the God's Son, Street's Disciple AND Hip Hop Is Dead album. And even when rappers do get premo, they often only get 1 or 2 beats, Same as what was happinin with RZA back in the late 90s.

I just hope that this year, rappers put more emphasis in quality and give more business to Preem. I think the waiting list is the biggest thing holding Premo back, because nowadays rappers bang out albums within a few months and put out numerous mixtapes/internet songs so that they simply cant wait on Premo when they need to capitalize off the buzz.