PDA

View Full Version : rapreviews.com discussion thread

Prolifical ENG
03-09-2007, 10:57 AM
It is funny how some people take the rapreview.com scores. Many of them are very good reviews however, when people continue to read the reviews of their favourite albums that are personal classics and see a few low ones, they get heated.

The easiest example is how 2Pac - All Eyes On Me got a 6/10 and then people are like WTF??? Moreover Ghostface - Ironman received a sub par score to most Wu fan standards, while the rest of the catologue received consistently good scores.

I think the biggest thing that came up here is how the Wisemen album received like 4.5/10 or some shit...oh well.

Even some that are higher than some thought should be like Hip-hop is Dead got a 10/10 and some claim they are biased towards certain artists.

They even say themselves that they also rate according to the artists potential and why All Eyez on Me is low, and why Masta Killa - NSD is 9/10.

This isn't that way people should be using that resource if they do. Of course we all see albums that received much lower or higher ratings than we would. On the other hand overall I think around 80-90% of those reviews I can agree with.

So you heard an album and thought it was dope then checked what they think afterwards and they think it sucked...so what? Perhaps a bad review delayed you to check out a certain album, it happened to many of the readers.

It should be used more like a guide to check out certain artists and albums. Say you only heard of a rapper and want to check them out, some people will go there and look up the albums in the catologue that they reviewed. At one time I only heard 1 Aceyalone album and wondered if the other ones were worth checking out. I looked them up and seen consistently high scores for all his albums averaging around 9/10. And I know the Gangstarr catologue also averages around that, so the chances of me liking those albums are high and Aceyalone isn't just a 1 hit wonder.

10BassT is one of the first albums reviewed when looking at the A-Z list that received a 10, and how many people know about those San Jose guys? Of course I never found the original copy, but I have managed to download it and listen, and yes...it did deserve a 10.

For the large variety of types of hip-hop albums reviewed, I think no one can really call them biased.

Longbongcilvaringz
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
your on point, i tend to look at who reviewed the album and the like.

some of the people on the site obvious dont like certain types of hip hop, which is fine, but there are a number of scores which are skewed completely (some which you mentioned)

overall ive found the site helpful in gauging if an album is decent or not, but i dont really trust any extreme scores.

i just really look at artists that i have never heard on their, and if they have an ok score i might check them out.

i dunno, of late, it may be my imagination, some of the scores have been strange (HHID - 10/10 really surprised me).

plus some writers on the site feel the need to give everything by a certain artists a 9, or there is sometimes a huge difference between the scores of an artists discography due to different reviewers.

anyway, overall it has been informative for me.

Steve 'Flash' Juon is usually reliable.

oh yeah, and i think we all have to remember, its just someones opinion. it may not correspond with your own.

Longbongcilvaringz
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
and just on the "Ironman" thing, i strongly disagree with the rating, but it was from the old site...i assume it was conducted some time around the release of the album. and by reading it you can see how some of the shit on the album is annoying (yes, the singing on "daytona 500" pisses me off to).

and he does make the good point, that as fair as show casing ghost's talents, "Ironman" is more a collection of great outside verses, with ghost playing a lesser role.

"All That I Got is You" is a throwaway also.

still the rating of 5/10 is ridiculous, this is like 9.5/10 for me.

and "Pretty Toney" got 9/10. :nonono:

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
"This isn't to say that "Let Freedom Reign" is a horrible album. Free Murda, for all his short comings, can rhyme with the best.

cap
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
"All That I Got is You" is a throwaway also.

wtf??!!

anyway,yeah thats the only site i go to for reviews,but i seem to disagree with them alot though,so i dont know why i keep visiting that site lol...

CYENCE
03-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Funny thing about that site is like 3 years ago cats on SOHH found out the owner Steve "Flash" Johns info from his wife's website. They posted his pic, his wife's pic, and they aren't attractive folk lol. He's a white dude with glasses from like Nebraska, just the total polar opposite of what you think a hip-hop webmaster would look like. HILARIOUS. They clowned him and his wife hard man, and then Steve's "friend" signed up and argued with the members on Steve's behalf for being immature, and that just fueled the fire lol..they ended up deleting the thread though, it was a classic, wish i could link it

But knowing dude is a hick from Nebraska, I pretty much care less about those reviews now

TSA
03-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Funny thing about that site is like 3 years ago cats on SOHH found out the owner Steve "Flash" Johns info from his wife's website. They posted his pic, his wife's pic, and they aren't attractive folk lol. He's a white dude with glasses from like Nebraska, just the total polar opposite of what you think a hip-hop webmaster would look like. HILARIOUS. They clowned him and his wife hard man, and then Steve's "friend" signed up and argued with the members on Steve's behalf for being immature, and that just fueled the fire lol..they ended up deleting the thread though, it was a classic, wish i could link it

But knowing dude is a hick from Nebraska, I pretty much care less about those reviews now

excuse me, I'm a hick from Nebraska

TSA
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah, they give slim thug's albusm the same ratings they gave ironman and shit, it's funny when an album that's classic drop right away they are able to give it a 6 then years later when the rest of the world knows it's classic they praise it as if the material changed. that's why review sites are gay. they gave hip hop is dead a 10 cause for insurance incase it became classic, but it ain't no fuckin Illmatic so it aint no fuck 10

MonkeySmuggler
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
that site is mostly on point for what hip hop i listen to

J-DON
03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
sometimes I do disagree with their reviews... but the Ironman one is ridiculous and very poorly written. I think they should re-do that one becasue the dude who did it isnt part of Rapreviews anymore.

But like the OP said I only use it to see what is worth checking out, not to base my own review on after Ive done so.

CYENCE
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
excuse me, I'm a hick from Nebraska
:clap:

RAMESH
03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
anyone who give hip hop is dead 10/10 deserves a smack

Prolifical ENG
03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Actually, if a hick from Nebraska still has some musical taste, that could lead to an unbiased view. If it was someone from a hood in NY, perhaps they would be suspected of favoring a certain sound.

But lol @ them finding that info.

TAURO
03-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I scan many reviews and see how it averages out, from that I decide whether the album is worth investing in or not, what I don't do is read one review (One person's opinion) and decide off the bat because that is just one perspective, the point as I see it is to read other opinions and see what the majority opinion is.
Their negative review of the WISEMEN album for example did not in anyway put me off, I just make a mental note of it and check out the others.

Prolifical ENG
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Sometimes if I want another opinion on an album, online anyways, I like the Yahoo expert ratings for most albums. I just look up the discographies and see how many stars they get.