PDA

View Full Version : what's up with 'de la soul is dead' ??

cap
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
so i just copped this album the other day cus i always heard it was classic and one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

now,i'm not knocking this album but i dont see where it got its classic status from,somebody tell me (no really,this is a real question!)
maybe cus i never really understood old school stuff...
and why the 13 skits??

elaborate...

Wzarecta
03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I've always preferred Buhloone Mindstate....

There are some great moments on De La Soul Is Dead, but I don't really understand it's greatness as an album either.

UNCLE RUCKUS
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I think its conisidered a classic cause of its innovations. all the skits were part of that and the comic strip, the fact that they flipped their style from that DAISY-age stuff; De La Soul Is Dead with tracks like Millie Pulled A Pistol on Santa Clause and My Brothers a Basehead (with much darker themes). I love this record, for me this and Buhloone are their best works. This has some excellent songs on there

Longbongcilvaringz
03-09-2007, 12:50 PM
for me it took time to appreciate, a long time actually.

hard to describe what i find great about it, just maybe give it a rest and listen to it in a week or so, i dunno.

for one i really enjoy the beats on the album, and the themes are dope to.

fav tracks:

Ring Ring,
Keeping The Faith
Pass The Plugs
Millie Pulled a Gun on Santa
Fanatic of The B Word

i mean, if this is your introduction to de la, it could be a bit hard to see why they are considered one of the greatest groups, but as a follow up to 3 FT. High , it was a complete turn around.

maybe if your not into older stuff, listen to a bit of de la's new material, they have been real consistent throughout their career.

cap
03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
for me it took time to appreciate, a long time actually.

hard to describe what i find great about it, just maybe give it a rest and listen to it in a week or so, i dunno.

for one i really enjoy the beats on the album, and the themes are dope to.

fav tracks:

Ring Ring,
Keeping The Faith
Pass The Plugs
Millie Pulled a Gun on Santa
Fanatic of The B Word

i mean, if this is your introduction to de la, it could be a bit hard to see why they are considered one of the greatest groups, but as a follow up to 3 FT. High , it was a complete turn around.

maybe if your not into older stuff, listen to a bit of de la's new material, they have been real consistent throughout their career.

nah man i aint new to de la,i know a lot of their more 'modern 'stuff!!

Longbongcilvaringz
03-09-2007, 12:57 PM
yeah, sorry, just didnt say that in your post.

do you like 3 Ft. High and Rising? or older styles of hip hop in general.

maybes its just not to your taste, which is cool, id just give it some time, as i said it grew on me alot.

cap
03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
i havent heard 3ft and rising yet,and no i cant really get into old school.
but yeah,i dont hate this album,it definitely has some great highlights.

staycreepin_n_silence
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
i think people likes to use the work classic. I cope 3 feet and rising and rotate it like 3 times because it too me that long to get it to the end and I can tell you to me it's no classic.

madstyles
03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
stakes is high is a dope album. It's a lot easier to to get into than their older stuff. Check it out if you haven't.

cap
03-09-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah im definitely checkin out that 'stakes is high'.

ps : just wanted to share this with y'all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh2_GOPGKBs

Shyheim69
03-10-2007, 02:49 AM
you cant listen to that album over 15 years after its release for the first time and comment. For the time this album was considered a classic because it was innovative and something different.
If you are comparing this album to todays music and hearing it for the first time you will obviously not understand why it is a true classic.

smokebongoncliff
03-10-2007, 03:52 AM
^^ correct