PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop - Business - Profitting: a Paradox?

LHX
03-10-2007, 09:39 PM
it is not uncommon to find people discussing the spiritual aspects of Hip Hop - discussing Hip Hop as something sacred - a force of nature

the whole notion of 'Hip Hop is Dead' stirs up some deep sentiment and causes people to have great discussions

yet a lot of 'Hip Hop purists' are also the same people whose income is based primarily around packaging up 'Hip Hop' or a grafted version of 'Hip Hop' and distributing it to the masses

in a lot of cases - the same people who emphasize its sacred nature are the same ones who seek to exploit it

have the modern Hip Hop summits become the same thing as the average business convention?

if a person claims that something is sacred - how is the exploitation of this sacred thing justified?

is 'Hip Hop' actually anything sacred in the first place?

Jet Set
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Nice point of view.

By this definition, are the people who didnīt innovate in Rock, for example, also exploitating that genre.

What do you define by exploitation?

Ultimate Fist
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Let me explain my perspective in an eccentric manner. If you dont get I can explain it further but this is the only way I can think to explain it.

There was a tribe in Africa. All of its culture is destroyed except for one thing. A beat. That beat in eternal as its the essence of the people. The beat is manifested in music but everytime the Africans make a genre of music, its stolen away. So they have this one left and that music is hip-hop. They're going to do everything they can to keep that music alive because everytime the music is lost, the original beat is one off from what it originally was. Pretty soon, the original song will be forgotten.

Then there's religion. These days the megachurch has replaced the smaller church. The megachurch is crunk the older smaller church is the old skool. And everyone is always nostalgic for old time religion, more "heartful" religion. So you get these televangelists who will exploit that, saying todays Christians are not sincere enough but they themselves are hypocrites, preaching on TV (the major label.) All you can do is form your own church (keep the old hip hop in your heart)

Does that make sense?

EAGLE EYE
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
somewhat.

Jet Set
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Isn't the fact that we transit from that one start, a reflection of our eveolution. We don't stay the same, so the essence changes with us?

Or dos it always come down to one thing?

Kong
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
If it is exploiting it I don't think they try to justify it, they don't even see it when the game is how much dough you hold..

I think a lot about it is held sacred within and its about living it, when they rap it is to express and get the bills paid.

Kong
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Let me explain my perspective in an eccentric manner. If you dont get I can explain it further but this is the only way I can think to explain it.

There was a tribe in Africa. All of its culture is destroyed except for one thing. A beat. That beat in eternal as its the essence of the people. The beat is manifested in music but everytime the Africans make a genre of music, its stolen away. So they have this one left and that music is hip-hop. They're going to do everything they can to keep that music alive because everytime the music is lost, the original beat is one off from what it originally was. Pretty soon, the original song will be forgotten.

Then there's religion. These days the megachurch has replaced the smaller church. The megachurch is crunk the older smaller church is the old skool. And everyone is always nostalgic for old time religion, more "heartful" religion. So you get these televangelists who will exploit that, saying todays Christians are not sincere enough but they themselves are hypocrites, preaching on TV (the major label.) All you can do is form your own church (keep the old hip hop in your heart)

Does that make sense?

I get wat u saying, you mean - the more its seen money can be made the more it will be exploited in the mainstream?

WARPATH
03-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I've been think about how to answer this for a minute.........

I think in when someone thinks of hip hop being sacred, it's along the lines of being worthy of respect or dedication.----As opposed to saying that it's tied into something religious.....

Although....

You can tie your own religious beliefs into hip-hop and in that sense it is sacred.

So what i'm trying to say is, and think Ultimate fist touches on it with the televangalists......

Hip-Hop is like fire. In the wrong hands you can burn a forest down, or wage a war and devistate a city like an atomic bomb.

But if you use it wisley you can keep the poor warm at night.

And because it's like fire, it's free if you know to make the sparks.....you can build the flame. You can let a friend place a stick in the fire, maybe run with a torch and guide others,

or you can charge him a buck to stand by the flames.........

and commercialization of creating hip-hop is the same way,

maybe you need to by the fuel, maybe you don't need the fuel, maybe your starting an electircal fire as opposed to a gas fire......

SG
06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
it is not uncommon to find people discussing the spiritual aspects of Hip Hop - discussing Hip Hop as something sacred - a force of nature

the whole notion of 'Hip Hop is Dead' stirs up some deep sentiment and causes people to have great discussions

yet a lot of 'Hip Hop purists' are also the same people whose income is based primarily around packaging up 'Hip Hop' or a grafted version of 'Hip Hop' and distributing it to the masses

in a lot of cases - the same people who emphasize its sacred nature are the same ones who seek to exploit it

have the modern Hip Hop summits become the same thing as the average business convention?

if a person claims that something is sacred - how is the exploitation of this sacred thing justified?

is 'Hip Hop' actually anything sacred in the first place?

Arts & Culture (creative indusrty)....example: festival

You made this thread (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34638&highlight=creativity) I could of used it but i decided to be patient, leave it alone. It was very helpful!

SG
06-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Arts & Culture (creative indusrty)....example: festival

You made this thread (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34638&highlight=creativity) I could of used it but i decided to be patient, leave it alone. It was very helpful!

Festival is regarding community

observe his post: Sexxy

The Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival is a celebration of Hip-Hop music and culture. Our aim is to highlight Hip-Hop’s legacy as an agent of artistic progression, community building and social change.

LORD NOSE
06-16-2009, 02:33 AM
yes the Hip Hop community generates money for itself using its talents and gifts
Hip Hop takes over things though
it replaces george washingtons face with KRS ONEs