PDA

View Full Version : Killah Priest : View from Masada

beautifulrock
03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
This has to be one of the most confusing follow-ups of all time....
Following an unbelievable debut is hard to do, but most dont try to change their style almost completely to pander to rec execs... cause thats what killah priest must have done here. he proudly mocks all the tupac and biggie wannabes but strangely much of this album sounds like a tupac album. Rza's surrealistic beats have disappeared and were replaced by commercial hip hop ones, and there are way fewer obscure religious references as in the debut, most puzzling is a lack of wu generals on this album or very many references to the wu......but thats not to say that this album doesn't have good music, it does, it is just not very wu. i know this disc probably disappointed many killah fans but to the casual hip hop listener this may have been a very good album. so without further ado i will attempt to give this album as objective a rating as i can, so it may be higher than some expect....

2. view of masada: 5 /best track on here per se, reminds me of nas it was written
3. hard times: 4 /good lyrics but wrong mood for them
4. maccabean revolt interlude 3/nice....rhymes
5. maccabean revolt 4/ nice little beat good lyrics
6. gotta eat 4/ mafioso style revisited
7. whut part of the game? 5/sick beat, so this is killa priest?
8. im with that 4?/if only they played killah priest at parties?
9. bop your head 4/great lyrics carry this song not a bus fan
10. rap legend 4/coulda come stronger on the beat but maybe he shud write u'eys hooks?
and now the album goes to shit.....
11. places ive been 2/too much crap thrown on the beat unlistenable
12. when will we learn 3/im thinking like brendas got a baby...keep ya head up
13. food for thought 1/ what is this mumbo-jumbo?
14. live by the gun 1/bababababullshit rip off of bone thugs what the fuck killah? this is truly awful
15. if i die 4/at least there is a somewhat redeeming song on the end of this

score 48 pts -1 for useless intro outro tracks -4(and ive never done this)for not being yourself,for blatantly ripping off your peers,and basically for being a hypocrite

=43/14=3.1 or average at best

good luck rating this album yourselves

the silencer
03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
i gave it a 2...

im a tremendous fan of Killah Priest...hes my 2nd or 3rd fav in all of Wu..

but this album is weak...the title track is fuckin great, Maccabean Revolt is pretty good and then every other song is either mediocre are bad....

the lyrics are pretty much great throughout but the beats (and some annoying choruses) are terrible n make listening unbearable sometimes..

abasi
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I enjoyed most of this album. The first half was good and second half was alright View from Masada is my favorite song on the album he painted poetic pictures and I liked the beat and the guitar strings. That song reminded me of his verse on Beneath the surface.

Battle 1
03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I actually like this album VERY much. And still rock it alot even. Yup, it aint like the first but so what, he still keeps it very real. If you don't get or understand the INTRO to the album (view from masada) at the very beggining of the album then you won't know where he's coming from.

At the beggining he starts saying some deep shit, plus said something like "Priest a nigga that has been torn, worn, and schorched, damn near crucified !, BUT still I RISE." Not sure of all the exact words right now off the top of my head. But he was coming real with it on this album and I don't care what anyone says I am definetly feeling him on it.

BRONZBODY
03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
diddnt just blaze do most of those tracks??? cant really remember

wuswordz95
03-16-2007, 10:51 PM
well it seems like this album sucks. what a disappointment

Battle 1
03-16-2007, 10:59 PM
well it seems like this album sucks. what a disappointment

Unless you heard it for yourself you couldn't really be sure of that, don't always go by what other people say. And it all depends on what your into. Priest kept it real on this album, and all the TRUE Priest fans know and can understand where he was coming from with this one.

Battle 1
03-16-2007, 11:48 PM
How many remember this video ????

This video alone right here off the album View from Masada came out telling the truth and Exposing all the funney bunnies. 'WHUT PART OF THE GAME IS THAT ?!'

4ty_GCJpJUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ty_GCJpJUM

fabiojonz
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM

i got this album on the last day of first semester i was in highschool, i remember walking to school from the shop,i heard the title track and thought i was listening to a classic, and then it just fell off alot until the track with ras kass which i listened to on repeat the rest of the way haha

beautifulrock
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Unless you heard it for yourself you couldn't really be sure of that, don't always go by what other people say. And it all depends on what your into. Priest kept it real on this album, and all the TRUE Priest fans know and can understand where he was coming from with this one.

my question is, if he is keeping it real as you say, why on the album do i hear about 10 tracks that sound like other rappers and their styles, can't deny musically this is a pretty good album, i can get down, but it is infuriating that he claims to be keeping it real and the "real" killah priest barely shows up.

Battle 1
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
my question is, if he is keeping it real as you say, why on the album do i hear about 10 tracks that sound like other rappers and their styles, can't deny musically this is a pretty good album, i can get down, but it is infuriating that he claims to be keeping it real and the "real" killah priest barely shows up.

Being real means being yourself. That's what being real means to me. Being who you are right here and now. You can't live in the past. That's life nothing ever stays the same. And if you try to remain absolutely completely the same and never change, than that is like not allowing yourself to grow and live. Trying to live in the past is like being dead or something when your your not, that is being fake or not keeping it real. You must allow yourself to be whatever it is you are now. Keeping it real with who you really are right here and now that's keeping it real. SO, Priest was not trying to be something he is not on this album. Instead he just did what he really felt like doing and that is keeping it real. If some people didn't like it fine, but he wasn't being fake. He was being himself, even if that is not what some people liked or wanted to hear from him. You can't live in the past. Times are always changing. It's new timez.

beautifulrock
03-18-2007, 11:20 PM
thats a whole lot of rhetoric there, my question is this, IF HE'S TRYING TO BE HIMSELF, WHY DOES HE SOUND LIKE NAS, 2PAC, BONE THUGZ, AND EVERY1 ELSE ON THIS ALBUM? look at heavy mental, look at priesthood, both unbelievably original albums. there is almost nothing original on here.

crass
03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
he sounds like tupac on priesthood, too

Battle 1
03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
thats a whole lot of rhetoric there, my question is this, IF HE'S TRYING TO BE HIMSELF, WHY DOES HE SOUND LIKE NAS, 2PAC, BONE THUGZ, AND EVERY1 ELSE ON THIS ALBUM? look at heavy mental, look at priesthood, both unbelievably original albums. there is almost nothing original on here.

Because they are who really feels the most maybe. And he sounds like Priest to me even if he is using other stylez. He actually even flipped thier stylez in terms of using those peoples styles that you named. Priest has one of the greatest voices in the game IMO because it is so dark and deep. Very Masculine voice perfect for hardcore rapping. Name another rap artist with a deep dark voice like Priest has ?? It makes him sound even more ferocious when he kicks some hardcore raps or whatever he spits even. And about him flipping other peoples stlyez that he was feeling. Love is love. Every and all rap artists have influences and if that's what he really feels in his heart than his feelings are real that's all that matters. You can't deny what you really feel if it is what you really feel. If his feelings are real than that's all that matters.

beautifulrock
03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Because they are who really feels the most maybe. And he sounds like Priest to me even if he is using other stylez. He actually even flipped thier stylez in terms of using those peoples styles that you named. Priest has one of the greatest voices in the game IMO because it is so dark and deep. Very Masculine voice perfect for hardcore rapping. Name another rap artist with a deep dark voice like Priest has ?? It makes him sound even more ferocious when he kicks some hardcore raps or whatever he spits even. And about him flipping other peoples stlyez that he was feeling. Love is love. Every and all rap artists have influences and if that's what he really feels in his heart than his feelings are real that's all that matters. You can't deny what you really feel if it is what you really feel. If his feelings are real than that's all that matters.

i agree with every thing you said after you started talking about his voice,
thanx for reppin priest and Wu.

Jeru
03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Some good songs on there.I thought it was OK.And I always laugh at the fact that LZA produced the bulk of the tracks LOL

ian barclay
09-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Yo!,i`ve been listening to this album along with the offering......what cats views on this album?...was it a commercial sounding album at the time of its release?..were cats suprised that was the follow up to heavy mental?...how do u rate the album?

Guarded By Martyrs
09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Its "View From Masada"
Probabally the weakest of all his albums in my view...but still blazing most MC's efforts.
I really like ~

View From Masada ~ Produced By Just Blaze!
Hard Times
Maccabean Revolt
Fall Of Solomon
If I Die

The rest is a bit hard to listen to I think, like you said...a bit commercial sounding.
No where near Heavy Mental,Priesthood or the Black August's & The Offering.
Some real jewels nether the less.

PEACE

V4D3R
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Preisthood was his second album - View From Massada #3

Chief 'Broom
09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Preisthood was his second album - View From Massada #3that's not true

Hollow Dartz
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
"First of all, everybody can't MC, Second of all ya'll all sound wack to me, Third you sound like some groupie wannabees, Either it's Tupac or another B.I.G."

the silencer
09-06-2007, 10:14 PM
always loved the intro for this (View from Masada)...probly one of my fav Priest songs ever..

"then it dawned on me, it was a dope fiend and 2 hell-scorchin shorties
that lured me, to my first orgy, apartment 4-D
met a fine harlot named Audrey, she adored me
she seduced me wit her beauty, neck full of jewelry
She wore a see-through gown, wit her eyes she forced me to lay down
then she asked me was i new in town
and with a smile she said she has peace offerings this day she paid a vow
"let us make love and afterwords we'll worship an owl"
this fair lady, would she try to play me? get me in the bed then spray me?
kisses of her lips taste like taffy,
plus she wore the scent of taspry asked me if that attracts me
whispers in my ear pure blasphemy,
she said "i deck my bed wit myrrh, aloes and rose and cinnamon, its a place for gentleman,"
with a youthful look i entered in, the sins of men, the devils lust, the luck of women.."

^^^LOVEEEE that shit....only the Priest could spit one of those

Guarded By Martyrs
09-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Fall Of Solomon is one of the deepest story tracks ever!

~

If I Die....one of the best Priest solo tracks ever?

V4D3R
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
that's not true
I stand corrected. View = 2000 Priesthood = 2001

claaa7
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
This is the first album Just Blaze laced isn't it?? There are a couple of bangers on here.. Doesn't come anywhere near Heavy Mental. 3.5/5 for me

Hollow Dartz
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I've been listening to Priest all week but this is one of his albums I've never heard before. Is it bad? Good? Worth my money or should I download?

Jeru
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I've been listening to Priest all week but this is one of his albums I've never heard before. Is it bad? Good? Worth my money or should I download?

I think it's up to tastes...I suggest downloading it first

Hollow Dartz
06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Ok cool.

claaa7
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I was listening to this album the other day (prolly first time in years) and I gotta say that it's a good album if you see it for what it is. without knowing 'bout "Heavy Mental" it's a banger with a few missteps along the way. it's more commercialized but it's still a pretty dark album and lyrics is always on point when it comes to Priest.. download it first and if you feel it pick it up, with these type of albums you never know if they will be very hard to find in the near future..

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I was listening to this album the other day (prolly first time in years) and I gotta say that it's a good album if you see it for what it is. without knowing 'bout "Heavy Mental" it's a banger with a few missteps along the way. it's more commercialized but it's still a pretty dark album and lyrics is always on point when it comes to Priest.. download it first and if you feel it pick it up, with these type of albums you never know if they will be very hard to find in the near future..

so true, this album is a often never mentioned Killah Priest album i have most of Priest work with the exception of Black August & Priesthood (yeah i know they re-released it still hard 2 find)

claaa7
06-04-2008, 05:32 PM
^^ that's exactly the same as my collection.. just got Black August Revisited but i'm really trying to find Priesthood without having to pay a real big buck.

Maccabee Ridah
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Damn, I finished listenin to this album, and I like it VERY much! Tho' I'm not feelin all the tracks, I still like it alot! Lyrically, albums is great, as always with KP! Production was OK! On some of tracks it's unbelievable, like View From Masada, Maccabean Revolt, Bop You Head (which r my fav tracks from this one) etc, but on some joints it is just weak! All in all, very good album for me!

I voted 4 great!!!

P.E.A.C.E.

Hollow Dartz
08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
This joint is average, This was a letdown.

Hollow Dartz
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I'll Review since it's raining hard down here....

1. Intro

2. View From Masada
Probably the best track on here next to "If I Die". Priest comes in strong on here picking up where he left off on Heavy Mental. Strong Lyrics on this track are the highlights, the beat bangs hard on here too, a great opener for this album. 4/5

3. Hard Times
Priest comes strong on here with the lyrics, but the beat is a turn off on here, I don't think it matches up with his lyrical skill to be honest, it's not bad though, but nothing too special about it. you'll probably hit skip by the second verse. 3.5/5

4. Maccabean Revolt (Interlude)
Nice Dartz Throwing!!

5. Maccabean Revolt
This is a nice joint right here, I think Daddy Rose starts it off he does a nice job on here keeping the vibe of the interlude flowing on here, Killah Priest comes in here and does damage and Salahudin ends it nicely, a pretty solid track, the flow between the interlude and this is good. 4/5

6. Gotta Eat
Lyrics on here are fire, Priest went in ..
"I write theories that's motion pictures, y'all hear me?
I spit it clearly to roast y'all niggas, feel me?
Gangster, life of a don my icon
Sling on my right arm, rubber grip tight in my left arm
Body suited with teflon, it's Brooknam
Raise a eyebrow at the child, respectfully bow
Pay hommage, gold studs in my garment
Hot slugs miss me cause I'm God-sent
If it hit me, it's God's wish
No man taketh a life, I'm late in the night
Catch me in the hood shakin the dice
Contemplatin a heist
Some say my team is Satan's alike
Cartel, pop shells till our heart fails
Brooknam, a.k.a. Roswell"..

This beat bangs in the whip, on a second listen, this is easily one of the best tracks on this album. 4.5/5

7. Whut Part of the Game (Feat. Rass Kass)
This is a funny track, Priest could've came better on here with his first
verse, I could of spit that shit, second verse is better though, Rass
kass comes in and delievers some ill lines on this one, beat is good enough
sounds like a single to me (Video is funny). 3.5/5

8. I'm Wit That
Beat is cool and Priest comes with the heat, but this hook is horrible,
one of the worst from Priest, the beat knocks hard but that hook is shitty lol, this is still a banger though. 4/5

9. Bop Your Head (Feat. Canibus)
This track is alright, nothing to hot about it. "Tremendous Horse Kick" lol Priest
is funny, sounds like he's playing around on this one right here. Canibus comes
with some nice rhymes to keep it going on here. 3.5/5

10. Rap Legend
This is cool right here, beat is good enough for Priest. Hook is good, I don't know
what Priest is talking about at the end "Shake it Baby, show me your shit"
LOL. He is cool on here, kinda laid back with the dartz.
On another note, Priest Went in on his second verse..

I'm like twisted metal with a twisted flow
Twisted mental, twisted heylows
Chase the pace O, check my stage show
Played pool with the nine planets
Rack 'em in a Bermuda triangle
The archangels, God singles
Stroked the hark, first one on Noah's Arc
Stayed close to Jehovah's heart
Kicked Street Parables, played the flute
Raised a cobra from the barrel, comb my afro
Souls from Cairo, a slash between the Genius and a man goin psycho
The right flow, make the night glow
Hype show, tread water, mics are baptized
And if they die, I resurrect from one-two checks
Stage your sets, blow attack, who's next?

4/5

11. Places I've Been
Beat on here is garbage I couldn't even get through the first verse,
I heard this verse before though so I know Priest came correct on it, but this is
a bad choice for beat selection. 3/5

12. When Will We Learn
I know where Priest was going with this joint, it's cool. got a nice message to it
but nothing really too special about it, another average cut. 3.5/5

13. Food for Thought (Interlude)

14. Live By The Gun (Feat. Black Rose Kartel & Daddy Rose)
Beat is nice, Priest is on a midwest flow on here and it sounds choppy,
the second guy sounds like a Bone Thugs rip off, on top of that the verse
was bad, the guy after him is just wack, I don't even know what he said
to be honest. After that it struggles to get back on track but it's too late
for this one, I don't know why this one turned out like this, this joint had
potential. Singing isn't all that great either. 2/5

15. If I Die (Feat. Salahudin)
Finally some Priest shit on here, he just goes in on here. I think this is
the best track this album has to offer the listeners. We finally here some
classic Priest on this track, it seems like he left this style througout most of
the album. 4.5/5

16. Outro

Beats - 3/5
Lyrics - 3.5/5
Overall - 3/5

This cd was a definite letdown, i wasn't expecting this to be the follow up
to a Wu-classic like Heavy Mental. His whole style went out the window on
most of the tracks on here, lyrics are solid for the most part but the production
is pretty average on here, and Priest doesn't sound like himself on here
If you know what I mean. this could've been better. ****Overall 3/5****

Maccabee Ridah
09-13-2008, 11:25 AM
^^ Very nice review bro'....

Tho', I think Maccabean Revolt deserves 4.5 cuz it's quality as a track, beat & lyrics fo' sure equals If I Die or View From Masada!!! And thing with a Gotta Eat - lyrics are legendary on this joint, and beat is not sooo wack!!!! It's nothing special, but it is not soo weak!! And my opinion is that it's surely along with Maccabean Revolt, View From Masada, If I Die & Bop Your Head 5th classic joint on this album!!! So I would give it at least 4!!! But all in all, one more great review from u Hollow!!!

P.E.A.C.E. bro'.....

Hollow Dartz
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
thnx fam....