PDA

View Full Version : Global warming

the silencer
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
its a pretty big issue right now...wanted to see people's thoughts on it..

i was always under the impression that it was a very serious thing...we're emitting too much CO2 in the atmosphere and its causing the temperature to rise up and the icebergs to melt and we're going to have rising sea levels over the next couple years which means flooding and all kinds of other terrible shit...

i've read about it in science magazines (specifically SEED magazine and a couple others) and also in a few Carl Sagan books.....i have the Inconvenient Truth Al Gore book but i havent gotten much of a chance to read it yet....just glances...and i havent watched that documentary he did although i probably will this week....

today i came across a documentary trying to debunk the whole global warming thing as a hoax and political scheme and all this crap....alot of seemingly intelligent dudes on there too...
here's where i watched it:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/march2007/190307theropes.htm

so im at the point right now where im not sure what to think....a couple months ago i was fully convinced global warming was going to mean the end of humanity within the next century if not dealt with....now i'm becoming a little skeptical..

Urban_Journalz
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Peace,

Yo I haven't peeped the book or the documentary that Al Gore did, but I'm still convinced that it spells certain doom for at least a few million people. The facts add up as far as authenticity and it's a powerful hypothesis as a whole to me.

I think the claims made in opposition to the global warming awareness effort, to me, is another blatant attempt of the government to pat people on the heads and tell 'em it'll be o.k.

We see the countless factories that burn up fossil fuels day in and day out. We see the brownish yellow cloud of smog that hovers over Manhattan and Los Angeles upon entry. When I first heard about, "An Inconvenient Truth." I was reminded of the movie "Waterworld" when the continents were submerged in water because the polar caps had melted. People are too stupid to do anything about it though. Like usual, we'll wait until the train is 2 feet from us to decide to try and get off the tracks.

Koolish
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
yeah, most people aren't aware that there are theories about global warming being bull.

TIME magazine devoted an issue to global warming and the reality of the situation, and supposedly we're losing 70 000 something (forget the measurement) of ice in the north, whatever it was it's a lot.

i can say right now here in Toronto the weather's acting real fucked up.

One2
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
i can say right now here in Toronto the weather's acting real fucked up.
I can say the same in eastern Europe the situation's not better. But ya know, some say that it's just kind of periodical changes)

Prolifical ENG
03-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I study earth & atmospheric science.

It is true that you can't get a true model of global warming. I find it funny that its usually the people that try to disprove science the most believe in global warming the most and believe the evidence the most. Of course, you can experience weather!

The truth is common people know almost as much about weather than me, and it is my life long interest since I was a small boy. However those same people know very little about climatology.

In conclusion I can just say here that global warming is exaggerated with good reason.

the silencer
03-20-2007, 01:27 PM
In conclusion I can just say here that global warming is exaggerated with good reason.

can u elaborate on this please?

Prolifical ENG
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
can u elaborate on this please?

Hahaha, I tried to draw the line there to prevent myself typing all day but I guess I can't.

The truth is I have seen and debated both sides and seen hundreds of theories go both ways.

There is no hurt in exaggerating it. Don't you want people to try and reduce emissions and all that other good stuff regardless? It will be better for everyones health and easier on the natural resources. What are people most afraid of in global warming from what hypotheses have as outcomes? Needing to wear SPF 1000 before going outisde? The world will flood over like in the movie Water World? Climate change leading to rapid desertification in some areas?

I'm glad that we're receiving "abnormal" weather (pay attention to quotations) It makes people more worried.

I won't get into why things won't happen and try to disprove theories here...although its sometimes more "fun" to do.

Heavy-Mental
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
The globe is getting hotter because the sun is going thru its cycle. Other planets have gone thru this as well. Co2's are not the reason y we are having this problem.

Its just a change that we're gonna cee take place, so strap on hold tight.

WARPATH
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
It's gonna get worse before it get's better.

I think the issue with global warming and population increase will lead to people fighting over potable water sources......

Plus, on my trip to the north pole back in 1999(or 2000, can't remember) they people that live there siad it's getting warmer every year, and it's that noticible.

HANZO
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
my view on this is that theres something not right about it. we cant jus say that the worlds temperature levels are rising. because they have been rising and falling throughout history. i think its being exaggerated cause look at it scientifically if we are releasing all this Co2 arent the plants and trees of the world absorbing it??? something called photosynthesis. so all this shit about its Co2 gases causing the problem is false. after being taught that plants absorb Co2 now they tell us that they are going up to the top of the atmosphere and damaging it. its an excuse to make money by the governments.

Prolifical ENG
03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
^^^^^

and perhaps deforestation and desertification is a part of that CO2 issue too (it is)

Unless trees can adapt to grow bigger and make photosynthesis go in more volumes and grow more and insects go bigger (far fetched possibility but who knows)

Heavy-Mental
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
my view on this is that theres something not right about it. we cant jus say that the worlds temperature levels are rising. because they have been rising and falling throughout history. i think its being exaggerated cause look at it scientifically if we are releasing all this Co2 arent the plants and trees of the world absorbing it??? something called photosynthesis. so all this shit about its Co2 gases causing the problem is false. after being taught that plants absorb Co2 now they tell us that they are going up to the top of the atmosphere and damaging it. its an excuse to make money by the governments.

true indeed, throughout history of earth the temp has gone thru variations and levels. People are making money off this Global Warming nonsense, alternative methods to pool money. They need to create something new and reinvent shit to make profit of that creation. These elite motherfuvkers cant run from the sun, its gonna burn them...lets keep a close eye in this issue as it nears us.

peace.

WARPATH
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM

This is false, the CO2 is being realesed at levels that the world can't recycle.

Plus, all the rainforest's getting cut down isn't helping either.(edit: I see prolifical mentioned this already)

It's the opposite, the government(and the big companies that fund politics) is profitting off of fossil fuels(which is a big factor in global warming) as opposed to alternitive energy sources.

RAMESH
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
i'm definetly not on the level to speak to you guys about this, you people are very smart but it does worry me to
i can be wrong but i believe that last year alone they cut down 16 kilometers of trees & that's only in the rain forest
we got alot of shit to worry about

Sexy Jasper
03-22-2007, 04:31 PM
We should make everything shiny like mirrors so the sunbeams get sent back to where they came from and never bother us again.

rubyspirit
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I believe it.

Robert
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
It's the opposite, the government(and the big companies that fund politics) is profitting off of fossil fuels(which is a big factor in global warming) as opposed to alternitive energy sources.
Interesting you say this....as a result of the climate change debate, companies that prdouce "green" energy are profiting immensely.......

...interestingly in terms of percentage water vapour is the most prominate green house gas

dimi
03-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Russian Expert Predicts Global Cooling from 2012

Created: 06.02.2006 17:18 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 15:24 MSK

MosNews

Starting from 2012, the process of global cooling will start on the Earth and by the middle of 21st century the whole planet will be captured by low temperatures, an expert from the Russian Sciences Academy Observatory was quoted by NewsRu.com as saying Monday.

The cause of the expected global cooling is a decrease in the flow of the Sun’s radiation, Khabibulo Absudamatov says.

“We have already witnessed a cooling of the kind in Europe, in North America and Greenland in 1645-1705, with canals freezing in Holland, and people abandoning settlements because of nearing glaciers in Greenland. This is what we are expecting again in some decades,” he said.

Analysis of the Sun’s radiation fluctuations that influence the climate on Earth shows that the planet at the moment is on the peak of the global warming process, Absudamatov said. Now, with the decrease in the Sun’s radiation, global temperatures are going to decrease, too.

“In 20th century, the Sun’s activity could be characterized by a general increase in the amount of radiated energy, and global warming was a result of this process. Global warming is by no means an anomaly, but a normal phenomenon. Global warmings, as well as global coolings, have happened before.”

According to Absudamatov, the global cooling will start in 2012 or 2013. By 2035 the Sun’s radiation will reach its minimum, and 15 years later a deep cooling of the Earth’s climate should be expected.