PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the words 'In God we trust' on US currency?

check two
03-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I was wondering why it was decided some years back to put 'In God we trust' on US currency? I think it was in the 1950's when they started doing that. Recently, some people started whining when those words were accidently left off of the new US dollar coins that were printed. I don't see the churches minding too much though whether 'In God we trust' is on the currency, as long as they get the money.

ujesus
03-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Marvin Gaye said "God is Love"

I dont think thats the "god in trust"

and yo its easy to mis interpet the chuch with the pastor. Dont get the messages mixed

maestro wooz
03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
dont really have an issue with it, but it shouldnt be there. There should be no God in government, it's supposed to be seperate.

Urban_Journalz
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Church and State can't be seperated, because there would be no State without the Church. You have to have morals and guildelines.

I think the 'In God We Trust' has to do with that "Manifest Destiny" ideology that was set forth by the forefathers of this government. Stating that it was the white man's destiny, by the will of God, to conquer all in their path in The New World.

maestro wooz
03-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I think the 'In God We Trust' has to do with that "Manifest Destiny" ideology that was set forth by the forefathers of this government. Stating that it was the white man's destiny, by the will of God, to conquer all in their path in The New World.

could be, if you believe all the conspiracy talk about american currency.

Church and State can't be seperated, because there would be no State without the Church. You have to have morals and guildelines.

huh? are you saying that you cant have moral guidelines without a "church"(religion)? atheists are all lacking in morality?

i think the purpose of the seperation of church and state is that the power of a republican government comes from the people and not from the divine. So it's not a lack of god in government, but that whatever your god is doesnt matter. There should be no #1 religion in america.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 01:01 AM
could be, if you believe all the conspiracy talk about american currency.

huh? are you saying that you cant have moral guidelines without a "church"(religion)? atheists are all lacking in morality?

i think the purpose of the seperation of church and state is that the power of a republican government comes from the people and not from the divine. So it's not a lack of god in government, but that whatever your god is doesnt matter. There should be no #1 religion in america.

America IS a conspiracy.

Atheists are lacking sense if you want to know the truth.

The power of republican government comes from people and not the divine. Right. Sure kid. That makes an abundance of sense. Especially seeing as people are barely in control of themselves. Who said anything about a #1 religion?? It's a lack of faith, from the people in the government and the people outside of it. Most people make the government their god in some way or another. It's not my fault that most people moan bitch and complain about religion because in truth they'd rather live a lawless life and use 'what if's' as cover-ups to that. Know this, my God is your God. The difference between me and you, is that I choose to acknowledge Him. Savvy?

check two
03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Most people moan, bitch, and complain about religion, because they would rather live a lawless life?

And people that aren't religious are lacking sense?

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Did I stutter?

check two
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
No, you didn't stutter. But I don't see how you can make those assumptions.

AcidPhosphate69
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
So, not believing in something that is prolly wrong because, let's face it, it was made up by people to begin with doesn't make sense? I believe there are greater forces in the universe, God or not, but if you think not believing in something you believe in makes no sense, that's just blunt minded of you.

I'm more agnostic than anything but to say people who don't believe in god have no sense, and I assume you're also saying no moral value, is just plain wrong and doesn't make sense in itself.

As far as the money thing is concerned, it prolly was put there for no other reason but because America in general used to be quite religious. Sorry to all you conspiracy nuts and deep thinkers but the most simple answer is usually the correct one.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
So, not believing in something that is prolly wrong because, let's face it, it was made up by people to begin with doesn't make sense? I believe there are greater forces in the universe, God or not, but if you think not believing in something you believe in makes no sense, that's just blunt minded of you.

I'm more agnostic than anything but to say people who don't believe in god have no sense, and I assume you're also saying no moral value, is just plain wrong and doesn't make sense in itself.

As far as the money thing is concerned, it prolly was put there for no other reason but because America in general used to be quite religious. Sorry to all you conspiracy nuts and deep thinkers but the most simple answer is usually the correct one.

Made up by people? I've proven that it wasn't in "For The Kids". All you've said with that is that you're another one who would rather stick to disbelief because that's what works for you. I could care less, just don't deny where you really stand with a pseudo-philosophical defense. YOu haven't read any of The Scriptures in their entirety, so you saying that they were written by people is null and void, because your speaking from a position of NO KNOWLEDGE.

An agnostic is an atheist with an ounce of insight. Period.

When what I believe in is proven time and again through things that people like you would attribute to science, yes, it's stupid, because all you're doing is what the people of old used to do when they said, "This is evident magic". Only now, your "magic" is science. Anything...ANYTHING to keep from saying God did it. That's your problem. You see someone who believes and can produce a good sound evidence and you get your panties in a twist when we speak plainly. You can't handle the concept of right and wrong, because you can't handle being wrong. It's not just you, it's most people.

It's true. I don't care wether you're insulted by it or not, the fact of the matter is people who don't believe in God are one of two types. The first being people who attribute everything to science, in which case are either making the scientists who made these discoveries their gods, or making the very process of evolution their gods. And the other group just believe that all of creation just 'happened'. In both cases, their stupid. Now you can play the, "Why, just because it doesn't agree with what YOU say, does it have to be stupid?" role all you like. I'm not dummying myself down for acceptance of a few people who really don't matter in the Grand Scheme of things.

maestro wooz
03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
The power of republican government comes from people and not the divine. Right. Sure kid. That makes an abundance of sense.

you dont understand that? or are you questioning it's validity? Thats one of the main principles america was supposed to be built on. If its the reality or not is always up for debate, but we the people should hold it and make it true.

Especially seeing as people are barely in control of themselves. Who said anything about a #1 religion?? It's a lack of faith, from the people in the government and the people outside of it. Most people make the government their god in some way or another. It's not my fault that most people moan bitch and complain about religion because in truth they'd rather live a lawless life and use 'what if's' as cover-ups to that.

most people this, most people that. The government shouldnt be the God, because there is no god in our american government. I wouldnt say there is a lack of faith, but that there is an over abundance of misguided faith, that interferes with decision making.

who's saying anything is your fault? Just because someone doesnt worship the same god as you or because theyre ignorant, doesnt automatically make them "lawless", immoral, and a heathen. Does it?

Know this, my God is your God. The difference between me and you, is that I choose to acknowledge Him. Savvy?

i am not gonna know that. Thats what you think.

maestro wooz
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Made up by people? I've proven that it wasn't in "For The Kids". All you've said with that is that you're another one who would rather stick to disbelief because that's what works for you. I could care less, just don't deny where you really stand with a pseudo-philosophical defense. YOu haven't read any of The Scriptures in their entirety, so you saying that they were written by people is null and void, because your speaking from a position of NO KNOWLEDGE.

When what I believe in is proven time and again through things that people like you would attribute to science, yes, it's stupid, because all you're doing is what the people of old used to do when they said, "This is evident magic". Only now, your "magic" is science. Anything...ANYTHING to keep from saying God did it. That's your problem. You see someone who believes and can produce a good sound evidence and you get your panties in a twist when we speak plainly. You can't handle the concept of right and wrong, because you can't handle being wrong. It's not just you, it's most people.

It's true. I don't care wether you're insulted by it or not, the fact of the matter is people who don't believe in God are one of two types. The first being people who attribute everything to science, in which case are either making the scientists who made these discoveries their gods, or making the very process of evolution their gods. And the other group just believe that all of creation just 'happened'. In both cases, their stupid. Now you can play the, "Why, just because it doesn't agree with what YOU say, does it have to be stupid?" role all you like. I'm not dummying myself down for acceptance of a few people who really don't matter in the Grand Scheme of things.

wow what happened to positive building. Apparently it doesnt matter what any of us heathens say, but you are not impressing me (and others i would guess) with your unwavering adherance to God.

There's gotta be some witty saying along the lines of "you are only truly ignorant when you are convinced in entirety that you are correct"

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
No, you didn't stutter. But I don't see how you can make those assumptions.

It's not an assumption. The only problem with what I said is that I didn't choose to be nice about it.

The fact of the matter is, you can believe what you want, but people want to forget that there is always 3 sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. My side happens to be kith and kin to the truth. Those willing to stop being all butt-hurt about being wrong and actually go gather the facts for themselves, already know this. The rest just sit back and try to rationalize their ignorance. I bet you no one in here is capable of thinking about the day they die on a daily basis. In fact, most try their level best to keep it furthest from their minds, because death is tied to this. No one wants to think, "If I'm wrong, what happens when I die and I die wrong?" All those 'what-if's' and 'maybe's' go right out the window, because what scares people the most is having what they've done come back to visit them. So, it's well past stupidity and ignorace really, it's just plain fear.

Again, personally, I don't care, because none of this affects me and I'm glad.

I call it the way I see it.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
wow what happened to positive building. Apparently it doesnt matter what any of us heathens say, but you are not impressing me (and others i would guess) with your unwavering adherance to God.

There's gotta be some witty saying along the lines of "you are only truly ignorant when you are convinced in entirety that you are correct"

Impressing you? PLEASE don't make the fatal mistake of overestimating your importance here. You asked, I answered, period. I build positively with people who are worth doing so with. If you're talking about something that makes all of no sense and has no relevant historic backround, you're absolutely right, it DOESN'T matter what you say, because you're speaking empty words.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
you dont understand that? or are you questioning it's validity? Thats one of the main principles america was supposed to be built on. If its the reality or not is always up for debate, but we the people should hold it and make it true.

most people this, most people that. The government shouldnt be the God, because there is no god in our american government. I wouldnt say there is a lack of faith, but that there is an over abundance of misguided faith, that interferes with decision making.

who's saying anything is your fault? Just because someone doesnt worship the same god as you or because theyre ignorant, doesnt automatically make them "lawless", immoral, and a heathen. Does it?

i am not gonna know that. Thats what you think.

We The people should hold on to it and make it ture. This coming from an "agnostic". Nice contradiction.

I didn't say the government should be the god.

Understand this, you're looking at it from a Greco-Roman view of "my god and your god". Deny all you like, the facts are the facts. Your parents planted the seed and nurtured you. They had nothing to do with you being given the abilities of sight, hearing, speech and touch. The shaping of the orans and nerves, etc. Denying your Creator is like denying your parents and what they've done for you.

Say what you will, you ARE gonna know that when you die. So look forward to that day, because that's one thing you won't be able to put off no matter how hard you try. I don't think it, I know it, already.

maestro wooz
03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Impressing you? PLEASE don't make the fatal mistake of overestimating your importance here. You asked, I answered, period. I build positively with people who are worth doing so with. If you're talking about something that makes all of no sense and has no relevant historic backround, you're absolutely right, it DOESN'T matter what you say, because you're speaking empty words.

fair enough

impress wasnt the most precise word to use for what i meant, and its really insignificant enough that i dont feel like clarifying.

We The people should hold on to it and make it ture. This coming from an "agnostic". Nice contradiction.

first of all, how do you know that im agnostic? You're trying to paint me with broad strokes, when you dont even know what i look like. Second, how is that a contradiction? Please, break it down, im not seeing any connection.

I didn't say the government should be the god.

no, but you said people worship the government as god, and i say there shouldnt be any god related to government. Not pointing the finger at you, but at the issue as a whole.

Understand this, you're looking at it from a Greco-Roman view of "my god and your god".

no, thats just not true

Deny all you like, the facts are the facts. Your parents planted the seed and nurtured you. They had nothing to do with you being given the abilities of sight, hearing, speech and touch. The shaping of the orans and nerves, etc. Denying your Creator is like denying your parents and what they've done for you.

whos denying creation? Because someone doesnt profess 100% belief in a book, they are not denying the possibility of a creator, or The Creator. Just because you aren't in love doesnt mean you dont believe in love. You would have us throw ourselves down and beg for god's mercy? You cant deny creation because its proof is everything, but you can question it, in my opinion.

You seem to be hopped up in a Believers vs. Unbelievers mentality right now.

Say what you will, you ARE gonna know that when you die. So look forward to that day, because that's one thing you won't be able to put off no matter how hard you try. I don't think it, I know it, already.

i do look forward to that day, and thats why i get up each morning.

Hate to be a stereotyper, but i see "orthodox muslim" and someone screaming about justification in the afterlife, the insignifigance of unbelievers, and complete obedience to what they see as the truth, and i think of some guy walking into a jewish store with a bomb strapped to his chest.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 03:24 PM
take your time

maestro wooz
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
im gonna be out for a minute, peace and ill respond back later.

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
True.

Peace.

Sexy Jasper
03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Money is god and God is money.

Ponder that.

*echo*

Heavy-Mental
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
the people in goverrnment want to be god like, they want the masses to worship them

Urban_Journalz
03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
And the masses do just that in one form or another.

Sexy Jasper
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
People with money are God
People make money over God.

crass
03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
i'm an atheist, fuck that religious bullshit. some of the shit in this thread is such a joke. i hate christians the most though.

froth
03-21-2007, 09:39 PM
heres my thought. this is a non issue.

Ultimate Fist
03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Ditto.

Visionz
03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
The fact that its on money is sacreligous and sad, but its also a correct representation of our soceity, where more often than not, we've let money become God

AcidPhosphate69
03-21-2007, 10:13 PM

An agnostic is somebody believes in a higher power but is not arrogant enough to believe he/she understands that higher power. I recognize faith but I have my own faith and your will upon it will never change the way I believe in what I believe. You have proved nothing but your own complacency.

Urban_Journalz
03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
fair enough

impress wasnt the most precise word to use for what i meant, and its really insignificant enough that i dont feel like clarifying.

first of all, how do you know that im agnostic? You're trying to paint me with broad strokes, when you dont even know what i look like. Second, how is that a contradiction? Please, break it down, im not seeing any connection.

no, but you said people worship the government as god, and i say there shouldnt be any god related to government. Not pointing the finger at you, but at the issue as a whole.

no, thats just not true

whos denying creation? Because someone doesnt profess 100% belief in a book, they are not denying the possibility of a creator, or The Creator. Just because you aren't in love doesnt mean you dont believe in love. You would have us throw ourselves down and beg for god's mercy? You cant deny creation because its proof is everything, but you can question it, in my opinion.

You seem to be hopped up in a Believers vs. Unbelievers mentality right now.

i do look forward to that day, and thats why i get up each morning.

Hate to be a stereotyper, but i see "orthodox muslim" and someone screaming about justification in the afterlife, the insignifigance of unbelievers, and complete obedience to what they see as the truth, and i think of some guy walking into a jewish store with a bomb strapped to his chest.

Hate to be a stereotyper, but yet you not only do it, you seem to do it quite well. Well, hate to be blunt, but I knew you'd go faggot and pull the "terroism" switch sooner or later. Plus it shows an excellent view of your true character. Study what Islam is and stop gulpin' your local news station's semen o.k.? You JUST might learn something. Thanks.

Now....you called yourself "more agnostic than anything" didn't you?

It's not belief in a book. Are you always this shallow, or do you do this just to annoy people?? Clearly, you like so many others have no knowledge of the scriptures and only go from what people tell you. Probably thinking it's not important enough to find out.

I wouldn't "have you" do a damn thing. Get this through your skull, I don't give flyin' fuck or a paralyzed shit what you do or how you live your life. MY problem is when people who have fuckin' clue about faith and those who have it, religion and it's scriptures, try to tell me I'm wrong, with NOTHING but their opinions to back them up. I sincerely hope I made myself clear.

Another thing, and it's about to get nasty because I'm tired of this, and truth be told, you asked for it. The longest day you live, you better not EVER accuse me of hating Jews. Word is bond, your mother should have swallowed you for that one. First of all, not every Jew is a Zionist and not every Zionist believes in what's going on overseas. You'll never understand the passion behind this, and truth be told, I don't fuckin' expect you to, but for REAL for real...Arabs and Israelies are relatives by BLOOD. Ishmael was the father of the Arabs and Jacob was the father of the Israelies. BOTH were children of Abraham and Abraham is the patriarch of Muhammad. Peace be upon them all. For you to say I hate Jews with that bitch-made statement about me runnin' up into a Jewish shop with a bomb strapped to me is a direct insult and if you were in front of me, I'd have punched you dead in the mouth. There's always Jews among Muslims at the protests in Israel. In fact, a Rabbi held up a sign at one that read, "REAL RABBIS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AGAINST ZIONISM". Don't you dare fuckin' throw me in with those hypocrites you see on t.v. that your precious government has convined you into thinking are the representers of true Islam and further, don't insult those among the Jewish people who support fairness, justice and freedom and still live by God's Word. Do whatever the fuck you feel like doing because it's your life and frankly I couldn't care less about you or it. Just watch what the fuck comes out of your mouth. Pick up a book and learn about what's being discussed and avoid shit like this in the future. This is probably akin to casting pearls before swine, but in my anger, I'm feelin' generous.

check two
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Shropsher_Slasher,
I'd have to agree with what was said earlier in the thread. There was positivity going on in other threads, concerning ya. But for some reason, you started out bringing negativity and anger into this thread right off the bat.

Urban_Journalz
03-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Shropsher_Slasher,
I'd have to agree with what was said earlier in the thread. There was positivity going on in other threads, concerning ya. But for some reason, you started out bringing negativity and anger into this thread right off the bat.

I assume you mean with the "did I stutter" comment then. O.k. well, all sarcasm aside, I'm a New Yorker and just the way we are generally. I can't help it if most people are easily pissed, because we STAY pissed. It goes with the territory. For the purposes of it being your thread and I caused a ripple, I aplologize only to you.

Peace