PDA

View Full Version : El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead

Wzarecta
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Definitive Jux
Release: March 20th 2007

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/weston24/l_fe57e6c711b4f02e99f47642758ef2bd.jpg

1. Tasmanian Pain Coaster
2. Smithereens
3. Up All Night
4. EMG
5. Drive
6. Dear Sirs
7. Run the Numbers
8. Habeas Corpses (Draconian Love)
9. The Overly Dramatic Truth
10. Flyentology
11. No Kings
12. The league of Extraordinary Nobodies
13. Poisenville Kids No Wins / Reprise (This Must Be Our Time)

----------------------------------

Seen as it's a new release from an artist who has already released classic albums, alot of people will automatically dismiss this as being as good as or even better than Fantastic Damage, it's what happens these days. The same kind of people trashed Wu-Tang Forever when it was released and don't recognise Supreme Clientele's greatness.

The truth is, this album is more varied yet more cohesive, consistent and potent than his debut. Lyrically it is much better with some brilliantly unique song concepts and themes while the production is more refined without losing it's chaotic feeling.

This is updated, old school brooklyn hip hop.

5/5

(Comes with the best put together lyrics book I've seen for ages, you can tell El-P put everything into this release)

White_Mouse
03-20-2007, 02:59 PM
i've heard some of it @
www.undergroundhiphop.com
and...i gotta say...i was just completely blown away by the production, the rhymes almost everything except...although i love "EL-P" as a lyricist his emceeing could defintely be improved but i agree it is a classic album (just from the little that i heard).

KINGGS
03-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't know how anyone can get into his music, the production is top notch, its just the way he flows and his delivery is so far left it fell off the ledge.

urban_angel
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I heard good things about this album, I'm going to check it..

White_Mouse
03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't know how anyone can get into his music, the production is top notch, its just the way he flows and his delivery is so far left it fell off the ledge.

agreed...but i still love his music:clap: .

Dr Sleepwalker
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
loved the album... on the same level as Fantastic Damage.. El-p makes beautiful music

((((A:I))))
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
I haven't listened to shit as much as I've been listening to this. Awesome.

Polocash7
03-30-2007, 02:21 AM
It's for EL-P fans only. If u didn't dig FD, then u won't dig this either. The LP is dope. I love FD. I still think Funcrusher Plus is one of the best LPs I've ever heard

noel411
04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Fucken awesome production. I'm loving this album even though I think he's a shit rapper. Still a highly enjoyable listen.

RynMur
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
I love this album. Production is on point the whole album through.
Top 3 Tracks: Habeas Corpses ft. Cage, The Overly Dramatic Truth & Smithereens.
Overall Grade: A+ (not quite classic..yet)

The Hound
05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
It's for EL-P fans only. If u didn't dig FD, then u won't dig this either. The LP is dope. I love FD. I still think Funcrusher Plus is one of the best LPs I've ever heard
tell me a more creative drop than funcrusher plus ...

this cd is growing on me ... im still warming to it, probably because i herd FP so much ... so far id give this a 3.5/5 but that rating will increase when i listen to it more ...

crust
05-11-2007, 12:25 AM
...El-p makes beautiful music

word. i've been meaning to pick up a copy of my own. i heard this shit the other day at a friends house, i only heard a bit but damn son this shit sounds dope. i must say tho it took me a while to actually grasp his flows. his shit kinda has to grow on you. i've been hearing a lot of good shit about this album. i'm prolly gunna pick it up soon. peace.

ShaDynasty
07-15-2007, 05:51 PM
great album, to me its a lot better than Fantastic Damage, although that was a great album, it was slightly too long and Els rhymes frequently got lost in the production. This is a classic to me, great futuristic production and clever, darkly humorous lyrics.

DJMethods
08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I downloaded this ages ago and was like "the fuck???" after the first track. Computer speakers hated it, was so hard to pick up on the rhymes with these crazy arse beats going on. It was just weird, didn't like it that much.

I saw it today, thought "fuck it" and picked it up and "Desire" (Ahead of "Finding Forever") but have no idea why I did. Got home and played it just lying down, it's an experience. I liked all tracks, but "Habeas Corpses (Draconian Love)" and "The Overly Dramatic Truth" were amazing. In a different world when listening. The guest artists were weird choices, but great all the same (Trent Reznor!).

Can't speak highly enough of this album. Beats are crazy good, the rhymes took me a while to get used to, but he's on some great shit with them.. Just his messing with metaphors is insane. Finding new gems with every listen.

5/5, 10/10, 100/100 from me

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
this album is a masterpiece man its so different and left field that the average hip hop fan couldn't even get it unless you open your mind to a different style of hip hop with very complex beats that make actual songs outside the standard 4 bar chorus and 8 bar verses

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
When you have a record titled “I’ll Sleep When Your Dead” this tell you something about the artist and whether you take it as maybe this is a special album or not isn’t the question. The question is will you listen to someone like EL-P aka EL Producto formerly of Company Flow and head of one the most innovative independent hip hop labels, Definitive Jux (aka Def Jux), with more to prove than The Titanic (before it sank).

This album has been 4 years in the making and the records such as “Tasmanian Pain Coaster”, “Smithereens”, “EMG”, Flyentology and “The League of Extraordinary” Nobodies. These records are only the pinnacle of what the album proves to be both a contemporary hip hop record and something more than just you all around ball park hip hop album with multiple producers. This album has guests yes such as Cage, Mars Volta, Trent Reznor & Aesop Rock, these guest don’t steal the show or even overshadow the star but in fact they add the incredible multi-layered album wit more dimensions than a prism and a diamond.

The production is somewhere between RPM, abstract hip hop and hardcore underground independent type of hip hop. This album kills most intelligent thinkers with the drums that sound sometimes as if they were programmed while in a drum line because they’re “very marching band-esq” on songs like EMG. And then on tracks like “Run The Numbers” which sound like your traditional hip hop track with those boom bap type of drums and overall sound to it.

Overall I give this album a 4.5 out 5 due to that some of the tracks sometimes don’t grab you right away and for the casual listener this album isn’t for. Because if you didn’t hear EL-P when “Fantastic Damage” or when Company Flow was out and about then the evolution of his sound wouldn’t be clear.

Longbongcilvaringz
08-23-2007, 03:19 AM
bought it a while ago, and pretty much havent stopped playing it since.

just a dope album, not necessarily my favourite production or delivery, but the whole things comes together to make probably one of this year best albums.

although hes not the best in terms of delivery, i still think lyrically this album has merit, each track takes a bit of thinking about. a track like "Run The Numbers" went straight over me head on the first lesson, but it all comes together with a few more listens.

anyway, really enjoyable album to listen to.

8.5/10.

noel411
08-23-2007, 05:02 AM
bought it a while ago, and pretty much havent stopped playing it since.
I was like this too for the first few weeks after I got it. But unfortunately it died off for me pretty suddenly. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and think it is easily one of the best albums of the year, but that urge to bump it non-stop didn't last long for me.
although hes not the best in terms of delivery, i still think lyrically this album has merit
Word. I really think he is quite a bad rapper, but I actually like his lyrics a lot. I even read them all a while back. Much more interesting and thoughtful than the majority of mc's.

"How the fuck do you explain your own self-destruction and still remain trusted?"

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-23-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm loving this album even though I think he's a shit rapper.

I really think he is quite a bad rapper

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I think where alot of people decide he's a bad rapper is based on his not sounding/flowing like most rappers. The fact is, he's never set out to be a rapper, just a vocalist. He blends all sorts of different styles and, for me, delivers his (excellent) lyrics perfectly for the style of beats and content.

He's a great live performer as well.

One of my favourite lyrics of the year:

"I see you all regardless
I know what lies are like
I might have been born yesterday, sir
But I stayed up all night"

Longbongcilvaringz
08-23-2007, 05:42 AM
yeah lyrically hes good, but i would personally include that in my assessment of him being a good/bad "rapper"

i think the way the album is mastered and mixed is pretty good, it could have thrown the whole thing off if his vocals had been turned right up or something like that. but the way it is, even if you dislike his voice, it doesnt have a huge impact on the listenability of the album for me.

and im still playing it about 3 weeks later, albeit less frequently.

its still a staple while im working though.

GhettoGnom
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Great album with great lyrics, and yes the lyrics book was great, which I have actually seen on earlier def jux releases (cage - hell's winter for instance)

J-DON
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Loved Co Flow, for some reason didnt like Fandam too much, but HOLYFUCKWOW this album is dope as hell!

edit:

Honestly this is that NEW shit that ive been waiting for, 10/10

Maxxx Millisecondz
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I was like this too for the first few weeks after I got it. But unfortunately it died off for me pretty suddenly. Don't get me wrong, I still love it and think it is easily one of the best albums of the year, but that urge to bump it non-stop didn't last long for me.

i was the same way with it, sadly. i really like El-P's style a lot. the Blade Runner style production and intellectually driven stanzas and sarcasm always win me over. someone said a few posts back that he had weird choices for guest appearances (Trent Reznor of NIN). i honestly couldn't have seen a better collaboration idea myself. El-P is basically hip hop's Trent Reznor to me, and that track came out flawless and immaculate. i'm not so much a Cage fan these days, seeing how his attitude is about the artform (to those that saw the video interview on UGHH.com. i understand you wanna be yourself, Cage, but that whole indie rock outlook just doesn't cut it for me. is that really being yourself?) I don't really think you can compare this one to Fandam tho. this one seems way more mature, and polished. Fandam was 16 tracks of a Max Payne Valkyr Drugmare (i.e. Accidents Don't Happen. that beat bugged me out the first time i heard it. almost soured me on El-P's music, but it grew on me, and i think that's one of his best beats.) considering a few of the past releases from Definitive Jux were a bit lacking, this definitely helps the label save face a bit, and the last track on I'll Sleep is a great summary to the album. It's not for the faint-hearted or musically closed-minded. All in all, I would say 9/10, only because i have been slacking on bumping this one again.

Definitive X
10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Album of the year to me. Ear Drum ain't touching this shit. We'll see if things change by the time Wu and Ghostface drop, though.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Album of the year to me. Ear Drum ain't touching this shit. We'll see if things change by the time Wu and Ghostface drop, though.

my top five albums this year:
(my opinion)

1: EL-P-I'll sleep when your dead
2: Talib Kweli-Eardrum
3: Wisemen-Wisemen Approaching
4: Canibus-For Whom the beat tolls
5: Pharoahe Monch-Desire

Definitive X
10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Yo, that's a good list...but I still gotta have Sean Price's Jesus Price Supastar on that list. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
this album.......wow.....mmmmmm :)