PDA

View Full Version : Post Wu Tracks you think are sell out material

tekunique
03-30-2007, 01:24 AM
wu has done one of the impossible which is to gain mass appeal without making obvious commercial tracks... Forever's first single Triumph didnt even have a hook, just like PYN.. im curious what ppl on here think the corny radio aimed wu tracks are...

based on their group albums only.

11th Chamber
03-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Im sure were goin to see alot of "Gravel Pit" mentions, even tho it is a dope ass track.

Dope beat, great verse by Meth, crazy verse by Uey and Ghost, I never understood all the hate on it

tekunique
03-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Gravel Pit is one of RZA's simplistic beats but still hip hop without soundng r&b watered down like other radio shits... and wu lyrics are never corny...

"dont go against the grain if you cant handle it..."

the horns in the intro & interlude are fuckin ill...

Dominus Santorini
03-30-2007, 03:24 AM
I remember reading an interview where Deck said he hated Gravel Pit, its the worst Wu Tang song ever and he believes Wu lost fans because of the song.

I actually like the song

g_flex
03-30-2007, 03:51 AM
gravel pit is no doubt a very dope song...prolly deck didnt make d cut...the video is a lil fcked up though wit swordsmen n dinosaurs n shittt..

Hellspawn
03-30-2007, 04:33 AM
^^LOL i liked that song when the album was released but dont feel like listening to it anymore...
the video is wierd : kung fu+dinosaurs+poker...WTF???

THE W
03-30-2007, 09:57 AM
back in the game
chrome wheels

smokebongoncliff
03-30-2007, 09:59 AM
gravel pit sucks.

beautifulrock
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
gravel pit is a smack in the face of those who think the wu went commercial. It's video is an illustration of how other rappers dive into the past to look for new material. It is ingenious just as the song is, and I love every minute of it.

My vote goes for bizarre. U'ey don't belong on Hot 97.

Longbongcilvaringz
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
not much really, chrome wheels maybe.

solo work is where wu got greedy, and tried to gain popular appeal by copying other people, or by emulating different styles of hip hop.

DJMethods
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
You should be getting drunk Sean.

Dont get hate on Gravel Pit. I used to like that song before I heard much Wu cause it was "mainstream" without selling out.

cant think of any, but I dont listen to much of the bullshit.

pneumatic
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Another song that some people hate on is Ghostface's "Push" with Missi, although I really like this song too.

Longbongcilvaringz
03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
You should be getting drunk Sean.

Dont get hate on Gravel Pit. I used to like that song before I heard much Wu cause it was "mainstream" without selling out.

cant think of any, but I dont listen to much of the bullshit.

i worked tonight, fucking working thurs, fri, sat nights.

whats youe excuse?

DJMethods
03-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I stayed in to watch the footy season start.... had a few drinks, and even that couldnt fuckin save me. shithouse match.

I used to work saturday day... that was horrible, coming off 2 hours sleep for a customer service job. arrrgh

3rdEyeVizion
03-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Gravel Pit

Longbongcilvaringz
03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
what team do you support?

i got a free ticket to the freo Vs port game which is pretty good, ive got to work straight after it though which fucking sucks.

DJMethods
03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Essendon mufucka!

shut up.. two bad seasons i know, but watch this year! Might miss the first game, but thinkin of hitting the pub to watch it. just dont wanna drink at 11am lol

You a Freo fan? they're coming good... Pavlich is a GUN, and Solly is there now... that bloke is crazy!

venex
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I love gravel pit, a classic wu song IMO... it's nice to hear on the radio (for a wide audience) but not really commercial in the meaning of "sellin' out..doin' it for the cash"

video is monster...

hmm, it's weird nobody mentioned " uzi pinky ring " yet... Idk, they don't have alot of commercial songs really

SaqurakiHanamichi
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
when gravel pit came out i was in love

drippie k
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
gravel pit is an awesome song...didnt really like push though

Longbongcilvaringz
04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Essendon mufucka!

shut up.. two bad seasons i know, but watch this year! Might miss the first game, but thinkin of hitting the pub to watch it. just dont wanna drink at 11am lol

You a Freo fan? they're coming good... Pavlich is a GUN, and Solly is there now... that bloke is crazy!

haha, what a coincidence, im a bombers fan also. great game in adelaide, lucas with 7 goals.

and i hate freo, great to see them lose live after they led by 6 goals.

DJMethods
04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
haha, what a coincidence, im a bombers fan also. great game in adelaide, lucas with 7 goals.

and i hate freo, great to see them lose live after they led by 6 goals.

Holy shit, thats mad. went and watched it today, been fuckin drinking since and just got in.. thought ryder was fucking excellent, saw him play against west coast in the practice match and no one believed me he would make a great backman.

Gonna be good next week... Freo at the dome! though, i was honestly more confident about the Adelaide match... we were underdogs, new blood, adelaide had players out, everything was goin our way. now freo have somethin to prove..

if you're a semi-big fan, join BomberBlitz.com ... very good Essendon forum, went and stayed in melbourne with a few of the people there.. top people. plus a fair few WA bombers

ThinkDifferently
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I really wasnt into We Pop

Longbongcilvaringz
04-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Holy shit, thats mad. went and watched it today, been fuckin drinking since and just got in.. thought ryder was fucking excellent, saw him play against west coast in the practice match and no one believed me he would make a great backman.

Gonna be good next week... Freo at the dome! though, i was honestly more confident about the Adelaide match... we were underdogs, new blood, adelaide had players out, everything was goin our way. now freo have somethin to prove..

if you're a semi-big fan, join BomberBlitz.com ... very good Essendon forum, went and stayed in melbourne with a few of the people there.. top people. plus a fair few WA bombers

cool man, i'll check it out.

man, freo are looking decent, but the way they self destructed against port is a good sign for us. as long as we can start strong, freo usually have trouble coming back from behind.

DJMethods
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Yep..but Freo usually play well when they're not supposed to. although we did a good job of starting well today, and holding adelaide off when they came back. we'll probably end up winning, but it's a danger game i reckon.

totally hi-jacked this thread and no one knows what we're on about lol

supe/tetsuo
04-03-2007, 03:53 AM
wu lyrics are never corny...

wu got some of the illest lyrics out there but to say that there lyrics are never corny is not true at all

supe/tetsuo
04-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Gravel Pit is one of RZA's simplistic beats but still hip hop without soundng r&b watered down like other radio shits... and wu lyrics are never corny...

"dont go against the grain if you cant handle it..."

the horns in the intro & interlude are fuckin ill...

wu lyrics never corny? rza on assaination day(like the slient gases that pass thruout your anal) that shit is hella weak

tekunique
04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
wu lyrics never corny? rza on assaination day(like the slient gases that pass thruout your anal) that shit is hella weak

i dont find that corny at all.. its one of metaphors that relate to the scripture..

'sandwich aint a sandwich without miracle whip' thats hella lot more corny than the rza line...

beautifulrock
04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
i dont find that corny at all.. its one of metaphors that relate to the scripture..

'sandwich aint a sandwich without miracle whip' thats hella lot more corny than the rza line...

^^^fuck you bitch thats a dope line. I owe at least 1 of my 2 love handles to miracle whip. Thats gangsta shit. lol

tekunique
04-05-2007, 12:00 PM
^^^fuck you bitch thats a dope line. I owe at least 1 of my 2 love handles to miracle whip. Thats gangsta shit. lol
hahaha

The_SZAs
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
wu-wear garment renaissance - that song is the definition of commercial

Bosn
04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Shit I think Gravel Pit takes a lot of heat mainly because everyone and their dog liked that song. Seriously! Even my ol' granny would jam to that joint!

UNCLE RUCKUS
04-05-2007, 04:27 PM
not much really, chrome wheels maybe.

solo work is where wu got greedy, and tried to gain popular appeal by copying other people, or by emulating different styles of hip hop.

I think Chrome Wheels is a dope song maybe a bit out of place but still solid as hell

Edgar Erebus
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Hm. Sell out. Pretty much whole Tical 0. Else... they mostly kept it real even if they lost their audience because of that, look at Ghostface (platinum in 1996, can't even go gold in 2006).

They got a lot of songs that have good commercial appeal but ain't sell-outs, as they are still smart and got that juice, knawImean? Let's say, "Cherchez LaGhost", that song is one of the best club songs I ever heard, wit that booty-shaking rhythm and party - but not stupid - lyrics. I dunno why it didn't become a large hit. Prolly because producer was a no-name.

tekunique
04-06-2007, 09:18 AM
They got a lot of songs that have good commercial appeal but ain't sell-outs, as they are still smart and got that juice, knawImean? Let's say, "Cherchez LaGhost", that song is one of the best club songs I ever heard, wit that booty-shaking rhythm and party - but not stupid - lyrics. I dunno why it didn't become a large hit. Prolly because producer was a no-name.
completely agree.:i