PDA

View Full Version : El-P Vs. Aesop Rock

oDoUoSoKo
03-31-2007, 08:39 PM
its not really a versus thread, its more of a doesnt el-p's style suspiciously sound like aesops...except not as good? jus askin....no homo...juan.

noel411
04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
It is with great shame that I admit to being guilty of being a fan of El-P's work. He is so horrible an yet so awesome, haha. I just heard his new album today. It sucked but also ruled. He is pretty much crap, but I really enjoy his stuff. What it all comes down to is that I would MUCH rather listen to an El-P album than pretty much anything else coming out these days, even though he sucks.

Aesop Rock has pretty much the most irritating delivery I've ever heard. He's good. He's a good lyricist and his flow is good enough, but I really can't listen to him because of his delivery.

I'm not into comparing artists or albums, but that's my opinion on the 2 anyway.

Dante
04-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Both suck.

PANDA PISS
04-01-2007, 05:43 AM
well i don't like Aesop Rock cos he raps funny, i don't understand him.
El-P is a talented producer and lyricist, haven't heard his new one yet though.

WuGambino
04-01-2007, 06:55 AM
I like Aesop's delivery, just because he doesn't sound like every other rapper and their brother doesn't mean he isn't good.

But they're both dope.

Alcryt
04-01-2007, 07:50 AM
I like em both, El-p is one of my favourite producers at the mo.
Though i aint really heard enough of either of their solo shit.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
04-01-2007, 09:18 AM
fuck you - el-p is a fucking genius

"crap" "suck" "gay" go do all three at once

Dr Sleepwalker
04-01-2007, 09:47 AM
El-p doesn't sound like Aesop..Aesop sounds like El-P.. El-p was spittin' first...
Aesop has a more intellectual flow and El-p has a more abstract style, they both drop classics tho.. i'd say Aesop's a lil better MC wise jus becuz he's put out more albums, and has a stronger vocab.. but El-p's more 3 Dimensional bein' a well known producer and also bein a solid MC too

noel411
04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
fuck you - el-p is a fucking genius

"crap" "suck" "gay" go do all three at once
Oh how I dream of a world where people don't get upset over other people's opinions. And I didn't say anything about "gay", so I'm not quite sure where you pulled that one from.

UNCLE RUCKUS
04-01-2007, 04:42 PM
It is with great shame that I admit to being guilty of being a fan of El-P's work. He is so horrible an yet so awesome, haha. I just heard his new album today. It sucked but also ruled. He is pretty much crap, but I really enjoy his stuff. What it all comes down to is that I would MUCH rather listen to an El-P album than pretty much anything else coming out these days, even though he sucks.

Aesop Rock has pretty much the most irritating delivery I've ever heard. He's good. He's a good lyricist and his flow is good enough, but I really can't listen to him because of his delivery.

I'm not into comparing artists or albums, but that's my opinion on the 2 anyway.

He dosent suck, he is an incredible producer, as an MC he isnt too great always though, but was pretty good on Funcrusher Plus

crust
04-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Labor Dayz

crust
04-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I like Aesop's delivery, just because he doesn't sound like every other rapper and their brother doesn't mean he isn't good.

But they're both dope.

word. they both make really good music. 100 times better than that "throw some d's on it" shit and "this is why im hot" bullshit. fuck all that noise. El-P and aesop rock both have way more talent than any of that cookie cutter rap that is out these days. bottom line these two artist are dope.

Wzarecta
04-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I am an Aesop fan, especially of his older stuff but not even Labor Days comes close to Fantastic Damage or ISWYD.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh how I dream of a world where people don't get upset over other people's opinions. And I didn't say anything about "gay", so I'm not quite sure where you pulled that one from.

Its just lazy ways off expressing opinions that piss me off, all I am doing is saying something for effect

still think el-p new album rocks after you let it sink in with 3 or 4 listens, there is no one that can make a sonic soundscape like el-p and he has been around allot longer than aesop

if he has borrowed from aesop style alittle for this new album he is allowed to as they are both on the same label and in a group

oDoUoSoKo
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
fantastic damage is dope beat wise...but his lyrics are boring as hell...sorry...juan.

Dokuro
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
i havent heard of eather one of them so they must suck

NASTY NAK
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
el-p is a great emcee, you have to listen to him ALOT tho...at first he sounds mad annoying

Aesop is a dope emcee too

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
fantastic damage is dope beat wise...but his lyrics are boring as hell...sorry...juan.

that is like saying iain m banks books are boring

noel411
04-02-2007, 02:27 AM
He dosent suck, he is an incredible producer, as an MC he isnt too great always though, but was pretty good on Funcrusher Plus
I think as an mc he does suck. I really don't think he's got anything going for him as far as mc'ing goes. His lyrics seem to be ok, but I really can't comment on them too much because I find it difficult to understand what he's saying with all the fucking noise of his beats in the background. His flow and delivery are pretty poor imo.

I really like his production. It's creative. But at the same time it's kind of shitty. I enjoy listening to it a lot, but at the same time it often just seems like a whole lot of messy noise. And it gets boring after a while too. Even on the Can O album which was his best work. But in small to medium doses I really dig his beats heavily.
Its just lazy ways off expressing opinions that piss me off, all I am doing is saying something for effect

still think el-p new album rocks after you let it sink in with 3 or 4 listens, there is no one that can make a sonic soundscape like el-p
It's hard for me to express how I feel about him. Like I said, I think he's awesome but at the same time I think he sucks. As for the new album, I liked it straight away, after the first listen...but I still think it sucks, haha. It's really hard for me to explain. I really like listening to his shit, but I don't think he's very good. I guess I'd say he's a talented though somewhat messy and repetitive producer, but I really do think he is a below average mc.

KINGGS
04-02-2007, 04:40 AM
i havent heard of eather one of them so they must suck

No YOU must not know shit, is more like it.

noel411
04-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I just bumped El-P's new joint again. I must say the production on some tracks is fucken excellent. Other tracks sound a bit messy though. All in all I'm loving the production job. I'd have to emphasise again the comment I made about it being difficult to make out what he's saying over all the noise, a lot of the time. Not only that, but he doesn't have much of a mic presence at all, making it difficult to pay attention to what he's saying. But I did try, and his lyrics actually sound interesting. This album has the lyrics printed in the cover, so I'll have to have a quick read of some of them some time.

Wzarecta
04-02-2007, 07:01 AM
I'd say you need to listen to it enough to be able to make out the beats, because some of them, especially in the middle (Drive, Dear Sirs and Run the Numbers) are really hard to get used to. After that it's easier to understand the lyrics and then of course the lyric booklet will come in handy.

Some of my favourites off the top of my head (I love his delivery on these too)

"Why should I be sober when God is so clearly dusted out his mind?"

"Critics don't ...(something me, cant remember lol)...
they don't get my whole existance,
an actual B-Boy brainiac,
that'll smack you out your mittens"

"I'm not depressed man,
I'm just a fucking New Yorker,
who knows that sitting in traffic with these bastards is torture"

"Down at the labour camp they make a drone of men,
once was a momma's boy but now I learn to speak draconian"

"Lets get obnoxious with it,
I wanna know what brave is,
I'm tired of sitting here pretending I'm not fucking dangerous"

J.T.S.
04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Both suck.

Co-sign.

But as a producer El-p's ill.

TSA
04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Aseop Rock is a corny faggot.

oDoUoSoKo
04-03-2007, 05:13 PM
i like that line...

sign to rawkus?
i rather be mouth fucked by a nazi unconscious...some shit like that....its sounds maaad dope...juan.