PDA

View Full Version : New Halo 2 maps!

brown_dogg
03-31-2007, 09:43 PM
They remade "Hang 'Em High" and "Derelict" from Halo 1. They'll be out on April 17th, and they'll cost $4 for the two.

Hang 'Em High was one of my favourite maps in Halo 1, so I'm glad they did that.

Here's stuff from their update on the website:
=================================================
Today, we announced and revealed the last two Halo 2 maps – Tombstone and Desolation. They’re remakes of Hang ‘Em High and Derelict. We’ve been working with Certain Affinity (Max Hoberman, formerly of Bungie’s new joint) to make sure that we didn’t just slap together a port of an old map, but rather, lovingly craft a last salute to Halo 2 multiplayer as we move toward Halo 3 in the fall.
Lots of folks are asking us in direct terms, “why make maps for Halo 2, when Halo 3 is just around the corner?” Well, because we love Halo 2 and we love our fans. They’ve continued to play Halo 2 solidly for three years, in vast numbers, and we owe them it. Not enough to give it away for free, but Max has to buy snacks for his team, after all. Pulling the plug on Halo 2 (metaphorically, it won’t simply vanish when H3 arrives) without giving the fans Hang ‘Em High would have been, well, rude.
The next most popular question was, “Why Derelict?” Easy. Right now, some of the most active players are competitive players. They get a lot of use out of these smaller symmetrical maps, since the tightly tuned variants they play require a certain amount of predictability. Derelict made the perfect foundation for that. Now, while Tombstone is a cool 90% remake of Hang ‘Em High, Desolation has been significantly altered for competitive play.
Gone are the meaningless upper floor tunnels, replaced instead by ramps that allow easy access to the ground floor, and create tight close quarters battles, and occasional grenade traps. The teleports have been replaced by rapid grav lifts, more direct and quicker to use than the ramps. Graphically it’s changed quite a bit as you can see, but it will feel familiar to Halo CE fans, although we dare say, much better.
It’s faster and far less confusing thanks to the removal of teleports. In some ways it’s a good replacement for Midship, although it certainly feels larger.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/Halo2_Tombstoneinlineanno.jpg
Hang 'Em High is now Tombstone. And it rocks. Hard style.

Now, did I say that Tombstone was 90% Hang ‘Em High? I did! There are some subtle and some not so subtle differences. Obviously the graphical look is very, very different. Gone are the senseless pieces of geometry with no context. Now it is perfectly obvious, even to an idiot, that the giant crane put them there. We won’t go into why. It just did. The massive main ramp has been changed too. It was something of a death trap in its Halo CE form, so now there’s a grav lift that boosts you past the really dangerous part (although the grav lift noise will give enemies some indication that you used it) and the internal corridor structure has changed on that side. There’s even some new areas up there, but they’re pretty small. And we’ve added another way into those corridors, you’ll just have to see when you play.
Fall damage is not important as it turns out. I played for weeks without really ‘feeling” that change. I guess I just don’t fall that often, and jumping down is discouraged by the wealth of useful weapons and shortcuts up there. Jumping height is different in Halo 2, so some scales have been modified to allow for that. In the most part however, you should definitely feel like you’re playing your old favorite.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/Halo2_Desolationinlineanno.jpg
Derelict's cool mix of symmetry and speed should please hardcore and competitive players.

Ozmosis
03-31-2007, 10:15 PM
its cheap how Bungie is selling remakes

pneumatic
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I havn't played Halo in ages.

Miliato
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
how will you be able to buy these?

crust
04-05-2007, 10:35 AM
how will you be able to buy these?

yeah? its prolly going to be through xbox live. fuck! i knew i shouldn't have canceled my account! haha i hope they make it so people who don't have xbox live can just buy like a disk copy of the 2 maps like at gamestop or something. peace.

shaolinsword
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Damn, I still need to buy Halo 2

brown_dogg
04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
yeah? its prolly going to be through xbox live. fuck! i knew i shouldn't have canceled my account! haha i hope they make it so people who don't have xbox live can just buy like a disk copy of the 2 maps like at gamestop or something. peace.

They said they probably aren't gonna release a disk. Well they might, but right now they're not even thinking about it.

And to download it you'll just put in Halo 2, then go to "Downloadable Content" and download through xbox live. You don't need those microsoft points, just a credit card.

NIGHT MAYOR
04-07-2007, 05:41 AM
meet you there