PDA

View Full Version : BET Producer Says BET killed Hip Hop

MR HIP HOP HEAD
04-01-2007, 04:59 PM
http://grothe.typepad.com/grothe/images/bet_logo.jpg

Has anyone noticed that recently BET's Rap City has consisted of only commercialized music and artists? I guess Dbrad has spoken what some of us have been thinking aloud for some time. For sometime the network had an underground feel to it's video rotation, particularly Rap City, where artists like Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, Mos Def, MF Doom, and so many others were given an outlet when big mainstream networks like MTV would barely even give Jay-Z the time of the day.

Almost 2 years ago, Little Brother's video, "Lovin It" was banned from BET due to the program director saying that the song was too intellectual for the station's 12-19 year old African American female demographic. As a result, the Atlantic recording trio, Little Brother got the cold shoulder from the network for not having dumbed down content, which resulted in their anticipated debut lp, The Minstrel Show not seeing it's full potential, due to no promotion.

Not to mention, some time ago, a memo floated about the internet with a banned lists of artists from the station which included AZ, singer Dante Dogg who mainly does hooks, De La Soul, Public Enemy, Talib Kweli, Lil Cease, and so many others. BET has played concious music from past etablished mc's who still remain relevant such as Nas, The Roots, and Ludacris' recent concious hit, "Runaway Love", but for those thirsting for more awareness, the network doesn't offer enough of that variety.

Former BET Producer, Dbrad has come clean for his disgust for BET's newfound corporate ways and neglect for the hip hop artform on his Confessions of A BET Producer, which will be soon be released fully on DVD, but currently has 4 videos on his myspace getting things off of his chest.

Dbrad claims the network had gone downhill in the hip hop artform once Bob Johnson sold the company to Viacom in 2002, where a dictatorship began to rule about which artists and videos were going to play on the network, particularly Rap City; Tha Basement. Dbrad made clear that up until 2002, videos on the network that were played were discussed among hip hop heads as to what should be played, whereas now the 47 year old VP, Stephen Hill rotates who and what video he likes and outkasts music and artists, he doesn't see any potential in.

The former producer claims that the VP is solely responsible as to why hip hop is dead for letting the radio dictate to him and his staff about what is hot, whereas BET use to be the blueprint for all networks as to what was hot in music. Dbrad mentioned breaking established artists and their videos on tv like Eve back when Stephen Hill was completely against her and not willing to give her video "What U Want" off of Ruff Ryder's Compilation:Vol.1 a chance. He also spoke on how he laid the foundation and broke the whole Ruff Ryders, Jay-Z, Nas, Lox, Ja Rule and DMX to be played on BET up until they reached MTV status.

In addition, Dbrad was candid on his disgust on how hip hop is only being perceived with stereotypical images to the young generation and claims that current BET isn't offering any balance in what they show. The former BET producer also is outraged about how BET portrays Tupac Shakur with certain images, which puts him in a certain light and perceives him to be a certain way to kids.

You can check out the 4 part confessions of Dbrad below:

-Confessions of A BET Producer- http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2018322178
-Confessions of A BET Producer Part 2- http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2018467618
-Confessions of A BET Producer Part 3- http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2018339160
-Confessions of A BET Producer Part 4- http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2018342593

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article173809.html

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
fuck BET!

Dokuro
04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
do what i did stop whatching music telivision its an oximoron

tragedykhadafi12
04-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Realest shit ive heard in a while. They really need to change shit around there. They don't have a clue who is good or not because they are old businessmen who only give a shit about money and they are fuckin idiots. They need to get someone like me to say whos going to be on and whos not.

THE W
04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
do what i did stop whatching music telivision....

here here

SaqurakiHanamichi
04-02-2007, 12:33 AM
i only stay infront of the tv once a year for about 5 min...
rap city used to be the shit back in the day with big tigga, that was my shit!

CITY ZEEKER
04-02-2007, 01:42 AM
true bet has been dead.. the last time i herd somethng good from bet was they wer talking bout the best producers in the game and they FORTUNATELY MENTIONED 9TH WONDER. other than tht BET IS A COMMERCIAL STATION.

GENERAL WISE
04-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Viacom is killing black babies.

LORD ZERO
04-02-2007, 01:54 AM
fuck BET!

^^^^MY WORDS EXACTLY SINCE LIKE 2000, AND ISNT BET OWNED BY A WHITE DUDE?...

tical2000
04-02-2007, 02:06 AM
I remember growing up and BET had a dope hip hop show.....

...today BET's hip hop show is wack and is basically a Minstrel Show

g_flex
04-02-2007, 02:19 AM
bet the tell lies vision

11th Chamber
04-02-2007, 02:36 AM

word. Shit, last time I watched BET was when they were doing the American Gangsters specials last year

-IrOnBuLL-
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
wow!
i for one iz sayin hip hop iz not dead
and i already know that b.e.t. iz messin some stuff up
for other artist to get their shine n everything.
i dont watz goin on here but i kinda agree wit great dane
i stopped watchin music videoz a LONG TIME AGO

RADIOACTIVE MAN
04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
old news to me,i knew Bet was done and had killed hip hop when they started doing that gay ass rap city booth bullshit,do you cats remember when rap city actually went into the streets and connected with mcs one on one

IrOnMaN
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
BET DID fuck up Hip-Hop!!:yes:

Razorsharp
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
what happened to "HITS" from the street, that had" i need money" guy from how high... that show was laughs and rap city turned gay after big tigger bounced and... only used to watch throwback thursdays... they need to bring that shit back... not everyone has MTV jams!! (even tho they play hella mainstrem), but they have old school hours... :D

oLd_KaiNry
04-02-2007, 03:44 PM
have y'all ever realised that when a rapper gets interviewed on 106th and park they allways play the videoclip of the rapper they have beef with.

cap
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
this is an outrage!!!
im surprised more people dont adress this topic.
its like people dont care or dont see the devastating effect this has on the culture.

Tha Ill Shogun Lord
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
hip hop killed itself

with its whisper song fuck ya'll i'm the human torch

murkoutz
04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
money killed hiphop. bet is like one of those dudes who whipped jesus as he carried the cross. jus going along with what evers clever at the time. i watched rap city for the first time since i was a teenager the other day and wasnt shocked to see like billion south niggaz and one video from swizz beats and one from b.o.n.e. lol bet promotes sterotypes like a muthafucka. and notice in the article it said its "12-19 year old African American female demographic" that cause most chicks jus dont fuck with hiphop. a hand full do but not the majority.

NY_Mami
04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I been sayin' B.E.T was wack from the get go.....It's one big ass coon picnic goin' on there.........

They did a 24 hour marathon on a Beyonce video, but did a half hour segment on helpin' Hurricane Katrina victims....

They got rid of B.E.T News and replaced it with another video show....

They banned Little Brother's video claiming it was too intelligent for B.E.T Viewers.... not to mention that list of rappers that they blacklisted from the station that passed around the internet like a chain letter.......

I don't even watch B.E.T no more...... MTV sometimes, but mostly VH1.....

L~>1<~NKS
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
The 5 elements have parished (in the US).

DR. NICK RIVIERA
04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
BET r not the only 2 blame

That Strictly Kid
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Word!!!

They sold there souls...

bloodyhookz
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
what happened to "HITS" from the street, that had" i need money" guy from how high... that show was laughs and rap city turned gay after big tigger bounced and... only used to watch throwback thursdays... they need to bring that shit back... not everyone has MTV jams!! (even tho they play hella mainstrem), but they have old school hours... :D

one of the last times I seen that faggot from HITS from the STREET was right here in Toronto, he was live in my hood trying to mock muslims for not wearing a suit and tie and tried to downsize the hood, but he was mad shook when he seen 50 youths ready to rush him so he stayed in his little safe zone, but when Caribana came, 1000 people rushed him, stomped on him, beat his ass up, and smashed him all for his weak little chain, real talks, don't come up here and think shit's sweet, Caribana is too wild for mothafuckas, and in conclusion, FUCK BET!!!

chiba
04-04-2007, 03:17 AM
took them awhile to realize
like 1 million years later
lol

CharlesJones
04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Stephen Hill is a slave to his supervisor and Bob Johnson should've never sold BET. Rap City is a joke now. I haven't watched it in a long time and i don't ever wanna see it again. Rap City was the best when Joe Clair and Big Lez used to host it.

THE W
04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
i stopped watchin music videoz a LONG TIME AGO

know your rights!

TURN THE COTDAMN CHANNEL

Koolish
04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
fuck, did anyone in this topic even watch the videos? shit don't just read what was quoted and then post your opinion on BET, you gotta watch what the man says.

he put a helluva good perspective on the truth of the situation, but i've always known that the corporation dictates what's good.

Analyze
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Damn, sad shit! I stopped watching BET when Tigger left the Basement, shit probably before then!