PDA

View Full Version : Tibetian Dream Yoga

Ultimate Fist
04-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I've been reading a lot about Tibetian Dream Yoga, the Tibetian Buddhist art of controlling your dreams. Most people think that sleep is only for replenshing energy but interestingly a number of studies have shown that we actually use up more air and move a lot when we are asleep. The Dalai Lama explained in a recent dialogue with sleep researchers that sleeping is not merely for replenshing energy but also could be used for spiritual development. Tibetian Buddhism offers a number of techniques for lucid dreaming, as Western researchers call it. I've decided, starting tonight, to practice a technique to induce dream control every night before I go to bed for a month and record what happens. Anyone else who wants to try it, here's how it works:

Before going to sleep, settle down for a moment and chant this over and over to crystalize your intention to seize your dream:

"For the welfare and well-being of the world,
And the sake of spiritual awakening,
May I seize my dreams and awaken within them,
And realize the true nature of mind and all things."

Keep chanting this until you feel clear about this intention. Then prepare for sleep. Peacefully lie down. Be happy and feel joy that you are about to rest. After you close your eyes, stare into the blackness behind your eyelids. Visualize the letter Ahh (shown here:
http://www.plotinus.com/images/a_letter.gif) written in shining glowing white letters right before your eyes. Concentrate on "ahh" and focus completely on it as you can. Then allow yourself to gradually let go into the light of the letters. Dissolve into them.

Good luck everybody.

Ultimate Fist
04-02-2007, 01:20 AM
That would be awesome.

Ultimate Fist
04-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks.

What's your experiences with Dream Yoga?

Kong
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
its intresting stuff, i got this book about it a while ago: http://www.amazon.com/Tibetan-Yogas-Dream-Sleep/dp/1559391014

i want to go back to it soon.