PDA

View Full Version : Aleister Crowley

Ultimate Fist
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
One seriously influential dude. Every New Age system out there probably borrowed something from him. The founders of Wicca, Scientology and even the NGE all were followers or readers of his work.

I'm curious if everyone's ever tried any of the shit he advocates. I know LHX and I think a couple other of you guys have read him.

A complete library of his works can be found here:

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/index.html

I still don't know what to think of him. Ingenious, crazy, maybe both.

LHX
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
definitely both

misunderstood like Ol Dirty

his tables of correspondences were nothing short of brilliant

ambitious to the extreme

is just as significant as anybody in terms of spreading knowledge of occult and symbolic traditions to the wastelands of north america

the silencer
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
i've seen LHX bring him up a few times...

i did a little bit of research on him around the web a couple times and he's definitely an extremely interesting guy..

i loved the story of how he had always strived to become an amazing chess player and when he reached the point where he was with grandmasters he realized some of these men were so pathetic that he wood never wanna be one....

my english professor, who seems very knowledgeable in the stories of alot of these historical figures (im gonna make a thread soon about some that he has spoken about) brought him up once and i remember him saying that Crowley was the most famous Satanist of all time which was weird...

Ultimate Fist
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
People accuse of him of Satanism but I've never seen a tie. I think he just creeped people out enough so they accused him of it.

LHX
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
crowley was called a satanist by those jealous

its like a rapper calling out another rapper

diggy
04-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I have also read some of Crowley's works, namely "MAGICK IN THEORY AND PRACTICE", " Tao Teh Ching" (crowleys interpretation of it), "Liber 777", just to name a few. I don't think he is much of a genius, just that he travelled to different parts of the world to study various "arts". He travelled to China to learn about the Tao Te Ching (and made his own version of it), he travelled to India and learned about meditation, he learned about the Kabbala, he also was in several New Age groups and started one himself.

Some of the stuff in "Magick In Theory..." I would not do like learning to cause myself to have 2 personalities by the use of a finger ring ( it is complicated to explain here), nor would I talk to spirits with names like Thoth, etc. But you could take what you want from him.

One thing I like from "Magick In Theory..." is that Crowley says that
"MAGICK is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will" and "Every man must do Magick each time that he acts or even thinks, since a thought is an internal act whose influence ultimately affects action, thought it may not do so at the time." I try to be conscious of my acts and do what is in my head rather than acting on impulses.

I did not learn anything from "Liber 777". I found the correspondence to be something out of my practical use.

maestro wooz
04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
the frother showed me a documentary on him. Like everyone has said, he was interesting. I dont believe in black magic and all that jazz, but i'm not sure what the truth is about some of the things he claims to have done. He did some pretty fucked up shit, in the interest of human science.

froth
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
intersting that he translated the tao

reading it now and im not impressed hes trying to make it his own

Os3y3ris
04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
nor would I talk to spirits with names like Thoth, etc

Whats wrong with Thoth?

diggy
04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't talk to peeps I don't know intimately, so why would I talk to a spirit named Thoth ( a spirit I don't know)?

What's wrong with Thoth? I don't know. I never met or talked with or know who Thoth is, so again, why would I talk to him?

Os3y3ris
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't talk to peeps I don't know intimately

Irony alert.

What's wrong with Thoth? I don't know. I never met or talked with or know who Thoth is, so again, why would I talk to him?

So you can get up on ma'at, clearly.

Anyways, I just found it amusing that out of all the reasons not to fuck with Crowley, you picked that one. Nothing important, though you may want to find out who Thoth is and what his attributes are for your own edification.

diggy
04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Irony alert.

So you can get up on ma'at, clearly.

Anyways, I just found it amusing that out of all the reasons not to fuck with Crowley, you picked that one. Nothing important, though you may want to find out who Thoth is and what his attributes are for your own edification.

Excuse me idiot!

Ma'at! I never mentioned ma'at previous to now, nor did I mention whether or not I study ma'at.

As for Crowley, If you read my earlier comments in this thread, you would know that I said I've read some of his work, idiot!

V4D3R
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Ad Hominem's need to stop in KTL.

If I were moderator here....

Os3y3ris
04-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Ma'at! I never mentioned ma'at previous to now, nor did I mention whether or not I study ma'at

You asked a question. Granted, it was a rhetorical one, but I gave you a real answer, not a bullshit one. You want Thoth, there's a high probability you want Ma'at. Its part of the package.

As for Crowley, If you read my earlier comments in this thread, you would know that I said I've read some of his work, idiot!

I never said otherwise. You did however give us some caveats including the one about Thoth. Thoth as a caveat against Crowley is amusing.

diggy
04-04-2007, 01:09 AM
You asked a question. Granted, it was a rhetorical one, but I gave you a real answer, not a bullshit one. You want Thoth, there's a high probability you want Ma'at. Its part of the package.

I never said otherwise. You did however give us some caveats including the one about Thoth. Thoth as a caveat against Crowley is amusing.

I did not state I wanted Thoth, nor ma'at. Get you facts straight you fucking liar. You never said otherwise? A thing about liars; they don't remember their lies!!.

Get a life looser!!

Os3y3ris
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I did not state I wanted Thoth, nor ma'at. Get you facts straight you fucking liar.

I understand that. However, you asked why you'd want to talk to Thoth. Ma'at is your answer. Is it not? Understand that the "you" I use is generic. If ANYONE wants Thoth, they want ma'at. They're linked concepts.

You never said otherwise? A thing about liars; they don't remember their lies!!.

Quote me saying that you never read Crowley. I simply didn't say it.

diggy
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
This arguement is getting nowhere. Just stick to the topic of the thread.

the silencer
04-19-2007, 12:48 AM
anybody have the documentary on Crowley called Masters of Darkness??

it was on youtube but it got taken off and i planned on watchin it tonight...

hoping somebody has it on their hard drive...

Black Man
04-19-2007, 10:38 AM
One seriously influential dude. Every New Age system out there probably borrowed something from him. The founders of Wicca, Scientology and even the NGE all were followers or readers of his work.

I'm curious if everyone's ever tried any of the shit he advocates. I know LHX and I think a couple other of you guys have read him.

A complete library of his works can be found here:

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/index.html

I still don't know what to think of him. Ingenious, crazy, maybe both.

i haven't read any of his work until you posted about him.

from what i've read, there's some things that i found of interest....but i don't think people borrow from him, it's more like he borrowed from others...and the NGE are not followers nor readers (some may have read his works, however his works are not popular among the NGE)