PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop & Graffiti

ThaGoldenChild07
04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Im a BIG hip hop fan. Hip hop is like a personal high 4 me. But i got a ? bout it and i know sum hip hop heads here in Wu Tang Corp can help. I hear alot of artists rapping bout graffiti and i know graff is also a known factor in the game. So my ? is simple.

What does graffiti have 2 do with hip hop?

DJMethods
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Im a BIG hip hop fan. Hip hop is like a personal high 4 me. But i got a ? bout it and i know sum hip hop heads here in Wu Tang Corp can help. I hear alot of artists rapping bout graffiti and i know graff is also a known factor in the game. So my ? is simple.

What does graffiti have 2 do with hip hop?

You know what the 4 elements are, right? Graffiti, B-Boyin, MC'in and DJ'in. These days cat hear rhyming and think it's hip-hop, thats MCin, or Rapping.. not "hip-hop". They think booty dancers in the background is hip-hop, that aint hip-hop, have b-boys and girls in the background.

What they all have in common in their street arts. Before there were buildings, before cars, before proper communication man has ALWAYS used graffiti. It started off to tell stories, these days some of it still does... But it's also a way of almost "claiming" something. It's a way of saying "fuck you" to people without violence, it's a way of expressing yourself, it's a way of communicating - Just like MC'ing (What most consider "hip-hop")

Then it turned into a "battle" thing... Gotta get the good styles to get respect, get to the hard places, get up the most.. You compete to be #1 - Releasing male testosterone without violence.

Really though, it's because DJ Kool Herc was a writer.. Thats why it's hip-hop. He was a DJ, introduced B-boys, and was a writer, just all ways of expressing yourself that made you feel... Can't describe the feeling, but pulling on a hoody and walking around 3 in the morning with a backpack full of spray cans is exhillerating.. I'm not thinking "Damn, we're at war.. we could die soon", I'm thinking "Shit, I gotta hit that"

Like hip-hop was, it's a constructive way to release testoterone, to have your thoughts heard, to get known and get respect without resorting to drugs and violence. Of course nowdays rapping is about violence most of the time, but graffiti, B-boyin and DJ'in are left untouched. It's underground, dark, gritty, fun, passionate, exciting, and gives you this feeling... Shit is the hip-hop culture, better yet they can't put it on CD to make money.

But yo.... these are just MY thoughts on why it is. Honestly, don't know for a fact... But why is b-boyin a part of the hip-hop culture? It's just an expression for those people who can't have their voice heard.

PEace!

ThaGoldenChild07
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Really though, it's because DJ Kool Herc was a writer.. Thats why it's hip-hop. He was a DJ, introduced B-boys, and was a writer, just all ways of expressing yourself that made you feel... Can't describe the feeling, but pulling on a hoody and walking around 3 in the morning with a backpack full of spray cans is exhillerating.. I'm not thinking "Damn, we're at war.. we could die soon", I'm thinking "Shit, I gotta hit that"

I didnt know Kool Herc was a writer. Interesting. Got a bit more understanding now, thanks DJMethods. U a DJ? If so u can help me out with a ? ima post in General Chat.

Any more thoughts on the thread? Any1?

SaqurakiHanamichi
04-04-2007, 02:05 PM
it just came out on the streets man, It was a thing to do, It blended well with dancing , being a dj , rapping..
But in the early days when graffiti started not everybody listend to rap. There were mad white kats that started writing back in the 70's..

I believe it got blended with the hip hop heads, Cause the first graffiti that was out , was about tagging up gang signs, And mostly Black people used to tag up gang signs , so i think graffiti evolved within a poor neighborhood when hip hop was forming.

Sicka than aidZ
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
i been into graf for 14 yearz and i cant answer the question very well cuz i grew up on the rez on the westcoast in the pacific northwest(that meanz no graf and gang rap). i only listened to hiphop when i watched moviez like juice and a lil on new jack city. It just seemz like something that goes together, graf'z a street thang and so is hiphop. Peepz use graf to rep their life, lifestyle and home/area. It'z just something that had to be. Real hiphop like Wu and graffiti go together like friez and ketchup. Shit is eternal, like i said it'z something that has to be.

CITY ZEEKER
04-04-2007, 07:37 PM
both graffiti and hip hop have something in common they have a similarity, graffiti is a way to express art, at the same time hip hop is a way to express music/lyricism, u put both of them together and u got a killer combo, just like the man said ^^ fries and ketchup it just has to go together..

NASTY NAK
04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
i been into graf for 14 yearz and i cant answer the question very well cuz i grew up on the rez on the westcoast in the pacific northwest(that meanz no graf and gang rap). i only listened to hiphop when i watched moviez like juice and a lil on new jack city. It just seemz like something that goes together, graf'z a street thang and so is hiphop. Peepz use graf to rep their life, lifestyle and home/area. It'z just something that had to be. Real hiphop like Wu and graffiti go together like friez and ketchup. Shit is eternal, like i said it'z something that has to be.

real talk

chiba
04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
^ everyone is on point in this topic

peace