PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm X Vs Dr Martin Luther King Jr

SID
04-06-2007, 08:07 AM
In hindsight who do you lot think portrayed the strongest, most realisitic and all out supreme message for the advancment of the coloured race (even though there struggles were in vain) who is wutang corps black prince..
give the pros and cons for both men

Malcom x quotes

I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me. I believe in treating people right, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to treat somebody right who doesn't know how to return the treatment.

There is nothing in our book, the Qur'an, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.

You can't separate peace from freedom, because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom

It is impossible for capitalism to survive, primarily because the system of capitalism needs some blood to suck. Capitalism used to be like an eagle, but now it's more like a vulture. It used to be strong enough to go and suck anybody's blood whether they were strong or not. But now it has become more cowardly, like the vulture, and it can only suck the blood of the helpless. As the nations of the world free themselves, capitalism has less victims, less to suck, and it becomes weaker and weaker. It's only a matter of time in my opinion before it will collapse completely…. ( what a line...)

Martin luther quotes

Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.... The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Kong
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I say Malcom cos i'm living in todays world and things still are fucked up for people but back then I probably would of said Martin.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-06-2007, 08:34 AM
MLK's message and angle worked better. Not saying Malcolm wasn't effective. They were both needed, but MLK's following was much bigger.

We have a ways to go still but have really come along way since even back in the fifties and sixties.

theafghan
04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Malcolm X

he finally fulfilled W.E.B. Dubois's prophecy in The Souls of Black Folk. He brought the most important thing, honesty....and honesty leads to empathy and and understanding, a "double consciousness" between both sides which begins to break down the Veil that existed (and now exists) between oppressor and oppressed. He died, and today we still live with the Veil between Oppressor and Oppressed.

Mumm Ra
04-06-2007, 08:57 PM
i think its sad that Malcom x isn't studied in schools, AT ALL, at least he wasn't in mine, while King is. From what I've read & watched malcolm was more of a realist. King was a great speaker, but I feel I've learned a lot more from Malcolm.

Scáth Bán
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
JJ from Good Times.

T-Mac
04-07-2007, 12:25 AM
They don't teach Malcolm X in schools because they don't really understand his words. Malcolm X didn't say kill all white people (as many ignorant people think he did) he said kill anyone trying to put you down; black, white, asian, portorrican, dosn't matter.

Visionz
04-07-2007, 12:40 AM
The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.... The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation. Really feelin what MLK is saying here^ Its like he tried to warn us but we continue to head down the path and Malcolm was getting us prepared for when that day happened. Both men where extremely vital to this world so for me I really can't choose.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
They don't teach Malcolm X in schools because they don't really understand his words. Malcolm X didn't say kill all white people (as many ignorant people think he did) he said kill anyone trying to put you down; black, white, asian, portorrican, dosn't matter.

This is why I say MLK's angle was more effective. Malcolm was truthful in what he was saying, and any person with an unbiased, open mind knows this, regardless of race. But most people do not have open minds, and do not look into things. They just take them as face value. Similar to the Hannity and Colmes post when they ridiculed that pastor from brooklyn.

As far as my education...we learned a week of black history in eight grade. Don't recall much Malcolm X. In high school, i don't really remember much black history, because we didn't get to it cuz it was at the end of the book. Kinda rushed through the post WW2 modern world.

Now college is were you really get educated on things, and not just in blackhistory, but alot of other subjects.

Olive Oil Goombah
04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Malcolm said alot of things that could easilly be misconstrued, and when talking about a people(white people) who already had an insane sense of who they thought they were, and there superiority complex, its only logical to assume that most would see what malcolm said as that.

ITs the nature of the beast and the result of slavery and systematic racism that continued for hundreds of years. As a whole, the black man is not to blame for his current position in society, that being said, individually, nowadays, they can make positive changes, and they have or else they'd still be slaves.

Mumm Ra
04-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Exactly, I mean I'm white and I have the upmost respect for him.

Os3y3ris
04-07-2007, 11:41 AM
IMO both were necessary. You have to present two methods. Its like "yeh, we CAN do this peacefully and I'd prefer to, but failing that I'll kill you." Its fucking balance.

SID
04-07-2007, 01:02 PM
If you think about it seriously, since the begining of time man has NEVER been able to sort out problems peacefully its in our genetic make-up for some acursed reason, the main point is mlk's message was hounarable and rightous, theres no doubt about that but malcom was no daydreamer, he knew exactly about the corrupt goverment of the united states (of most western countries) and knew the peacefull approach was just a fantasy, look at the world today we have supposedly moved on, but look at all the shit thats happened invasions, mass murder, near-genocide, gandhi and mlk, had (idealist thoughts), that would be suitable in a diplomatic idealistic world but its JUST NOT THE CASE. Its smilar to the "terrorists" today there countries are being invaded women and children slaughterd, thesre is no place for the diplomatic pledge, so they get fuckin militant and take shit into there own handz cuz we all know no ones gonna help tham not even there fuckin goverments. Its that simple gandhi,s message was beautiful and his words undeniable, but when the world is ruled by such merciless,evil globilist killers there is just no room for the "sit back and watch" method.

WORD

Olive Oil Goombah
04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Ghandi's methods worked. India got its independence from Britain. All I'm saying is for all that Malcolm did and said, all of it true, it really didn't help the cause. Sure it stirred up the white folks and got black people feelin all good and militant, but he went overboard with alot of shit particularly his 'reap what you sow' analogy to JFK, which got him in alot of trouble.

Malcolm was a great man, but he had alot of flaws. He put all his eggs in the Nation of Islam basket, onlyl to find out that Elijah muhammed was a fraud, and was not practicing 'true' islam. He broke with them, and was murdered for it.

He changed his way, realizing that the white man was not the devil, and restructured his thinking. Yes, the USA was a racist society, and malcolm was needed to bring this to the forefront of the american public.
BUT, actual violence was have been devastating....the riots, police brutality, looting...was it necessary?? I dont know, but I do know that civil disobedience is very effective, and some of you poo poo it likes it doesnt work but its been proven.

Take for instance the sit ins in segregated diners in the south. The blacks would sit at these counters, not get served by the whites. Well after a while, those diners were not making any money, so the choice was serve black customers or go bankrupt.....guess which one they chose.

This was only one instance, there are many others. Civil disobedience has worked because there are alot of whites sympathetic to the cause of equality.

There will always be racism and discrimmination were ever you go. If its not black and white, then its tall and short, pretty and ugly, fat and skinny etc.

The good thing about the US is that it has changed and more is on the way. Its only a matter of time before the old generations die out and is replaced by new ones that haven't lived within segregation and are used to seeing black faces everywhere.

Malcolm wasn't wrong. He spoke the truth for the most part. He was his era's W.E.B. DuBois and MLK was his era Booker T. Washington.

If there had been race wars, we definitely would not be better off, we'd be much worse, and given the black people's minority status, population wise and economically, its probably a good thing for them it never happened.

Read Booker T washingtons Up from slavery to see how far things have come. This shit takes time...just like the situation in Iraq needs time. There are no quick fixes.

Dokuro
04-07-2007, 11:32 PM
neather fred hampton came throug and busted both of them long liv the revolution you can kill the revolutionary but you cant kill the revolution

Sicka than aidZ
04-08-2007, 03:16 AM
MLK's message and angle worked better. Not saying Malcolm wasn't effective. They were both needed, but MLK's following was much bigger.

We have a ways to go still but have really come along way since even back in the fifties and sixties.

in the sixtiez we became hippiez and fought the system together what happened? seemz all the kidz got put in check by the government. we need martin and malcolm now but they were both smoked at a rally. the leaderz of the freeworld are fowl. bob marley, he'z gone.

SID
04-08-2007, 09:26 AM
lennon hes gone, pac, hes gon, lee hes gone, the list is to long to concieve and it just makes you thinkk all the brothas who had the spark, the perception of change all got murdered!

Olive Oil Goombah
04-08-2007, 09:39 AM
in the sixtiez we became hippiez and fought the system together what happened? seemz all the kidz got put in check by the government. we need martin and malcolm now but they were both smoked at a rally. the leaderz of the freeworld are fowl. bob marley, he'z gone.

Without the hippies, without malcolm, or martin, without the civil disobedience, none of that would have come to fruition. Yes, alot were arrested, but do not discredit what an impact they made. Those people were martyrs, they died for their cause, and they knew that would probably be their fate, but they cared more about the cause then their lives.

If nothing happened, we'd still have segregation and all that.