View Full Version : irony all over the place

LHX
04-08-2007, 07:19 AM
there is still too much of a tendency to keep information disjointed

news is very inconsistent

consider two scientists eating lunch together

one - a leading edge cancer-researcher
the other - a meteorological expert

the meteorology guy is familiar with all of the alarming trends pointing to environmental disaster for mankind

the cancer-researcher is familiar with the latest innovations and the optimistic view for curing cancers

what do they say to one another?

me personally:

when i am crossing a busy street and i spot $20 on the ground - the first thing i do is check the traffic

i like money and all - but my instinct is not to forget everything that is going on around me and lunge for the 20 beans

imagine that scenario -
a man successfully gets his hand on that 20 dollars just as he gets steam-rolled by a tractor trailer

no

i let the money blow away if i have to

the irony will be a major breakthru in developing a cure for _________ in the year 20XX followed by ecological disaster the very next month

there is something out of order here

Crackhead Bob
04-08-2007, 07:24 AM
What you just described is bad luck, NOT IRONY.

IRONY:

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
2. Literature.
a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Nothing you said at all was ironic. Stress release candles burning down your home.....now thats ironic. But don't worry, absolutely nobody uses irony the right way. just ask alanis morrissette

LHX
04-08-2007, 07:28 AM
is that a dictionary definition?

LHX
04-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Nothing you said at all was ironic. Stress release candles burning down your home.....now thats ironic. But don't worry, absolutely nobody uses irony the right way. just ask alanis morrissette

intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated

the scenario presented doesnt match this?

constructive criticism is great - but you seem to be contradicting yourself

Crackhead Bob
04-08-2007, 07:34 AM
yes, it is a dictionary definition. basically when the outcome is opposite of the intention thats irony. Or you say something that is opposite of what you mean. The scenario you described is just bad luck.

Crackhead Bob
04-08-2007, 07:35 AM
irony would be if you found a cure for cancer that spawned a plague that killed all mankind.

actually, when you think about it, this thread is ironic. You intended to point out irony but did just the opposite. lol

LHX
04-08-2007, 08:17 AM
irony:

the society that causes people to search for a cure to cancer is the same one that is making a planet that is uninhabitable

do i detect a lack of goodwill behind your posts?
or am i just hallucinating?

if you want to point out ironies in this thread - then perhaps you can view your attempt at intellectual one-up-manship backfiring in your face as a little bit ironic as well

plus you lack style and finesse

ill give you a 6/10

maybe 6.5

Os3y3ris
04-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Princess Bride was a pretty good movie.

Anyways, I don't see what the scientists would say. One won't understand the other. However, they DO have colleauges (sp?) whom they interact with extensively with the desired results.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-08-2007, 01:22 PM
haha, this thread is mind bending,

and people do use the term "irony" erroneously all the time.

i would be ironic, if through good luck you find a $20 note on the ground, you were homeless and were going to die if you didnt get any food. and as you went to pay for some food, you gave the note over but you got a paper cut as it slid out of your hand. and then as your living on the streets, hygene is low and your cut becomes infected and you die. so you have found the money to save your own life, but the note kills you.

im pretty sure that is ironic.

Prolifical ENG
04-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I appreciate irony.

That dictionary definition still does not explain the term well. I don't really consider sarcasm irony. Its when something is lead to be believed and the outcome is contradictory, that is irony.

Best example of irony for here: the username here "Black Man" is ironic.

another example: someone wears one of those shirts that the Guess store sells that says "great kisser" and when it comes down to it, they are really sloppy, the shirt can be said to have irony to it.

I guess with some terms the concepts begin to get twisted...the newspapers are guilty of doing this all the time. I think the most common phrase that is used wrong is "pathelogical".

It is ironic that with all this talk about irony and how it was used wrong in the first post, that the conclusion in the thread title "irony all over the place" is still true.....hahaha

LHX
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
so what are the terms similar to irony?

juxtaposition?
oxymoron?
paradoxical?
absurdity?

i still dont see how the original post does not fit the criteria of irony

and obviously it is a bit annoying how semantics has railroaded yet another thread

sort of like how this cold weather is lingering into spring

as i have described before - the observation holds true for this scenario:

had beautifulrock entered this thread looking for a progressive discussion - he/she would have noted the positive aspects of the original post and we would have proceeded from there

instead - we have another merriam-webster thread going on

Prolifical ENG
04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Juxtaposition fits much better since its a contrast of 2 different events that could occur right after another....but its still kind of off. First a positive outcome and then a negative outcome. However they are related in a way since if the second bad outcome happens it makes the first good outcome kind of useless.

Even though that might have something to do with random chances, it isn't exactly "luck" either.

Who knows what to call this event series?

Its hard to relate all concepts and why information gets disjointed just like those 2 examples...and the concept dispute in this thread too since we don't know what to call it! Damn juxtaposition.

Sometimes if relations are forced, it makes it harder on everyone.

But as far as news....perhaps it has to be inconsistent or else it will become redundant.

LHX
04-08-2007, 10:10 PM
maybe we should focus on that glaring redundancy

Ultimate Fist
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Anyone notice this board is pretty much 5 topics over and over

LHX
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
yes

lets summarize them:

1. Race
2. Food
3. Religion
4. Semantics
5. Conspiracy

is there any more?

Prolifical ENG
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
maybe we should focus on that glaring redundancy

Sometimes its not always the most interesting or enjoyable thing to do or experience in life:

sort of like how this cold weather is lingering into spring

Exactly....we need some relief :(

Prolifical ENG
04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
yes

lets summarize them:

1. Race
2. Food
3. Religion
4. Semantics
5. Conspiracy

is there any more?

that's a pretty good summary.

LHX
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Anyone notice this board is pretty much 5 topics over and over

yes

lets summarize them:

1. Race
2. Food
3. Religion
4. Semantics
5. Conspiracy

is there any more?

that's a pretty good summary.

has anything changed?

Uncle Steezo
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
yes

lets summarize them:

1. Race
2. Food
3. Religion
4. Semantics
5. Conspiracy

is there any more?

physics
metaphysics

now that everyone is done playing literature class.

i think about what you are talking about every time i see a new dick growth pill or hear of a new fake titty that hit the market.
priorities..

we know gas is running out and will be all but gone in 50 yrs.
but yet suvs are still being made
gas cars are still being made.
responsibility...;

diggy
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
i call it madness

society has become schizophrenic

Mumm Ra
03-02-2009, 06:43 AM
I generally do my ironing on my kitchen tablehttp://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/extreme-ironing-04.jpg
but I suppose you could do it all over the place

Prolifical ENG
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Physics and conventional science threads in general flop here in KTL. I tried several including mathematics but people rather like to talk about the supreme one than the "usual" one I think we had 1-2 good physics ones.

Civilison
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
there is still too much of a tendency to keep information disjointed

news is very inconsistent

consider two scientists eating lunch together

one - a leading edge cancer-researcher
the other - a meteorological expert

the meteorology guy is familiar with all of the alarming trends pointing to environmental disaster for mankind

the cancer-researcher is familiar with the latest innovations and the optimistic view for curing cancers

what do they say to one another?

me personally:

when i am crossing a busy street and i spot $20 on the ground - the first thing i do is check the traffic

i like money and all - but my instinct is not to forget everything that is going on around me and lunge for the 20 beans

imagine that scenario -
a man successfully gets his hand on that 20 dollars just as he gets steam-rolled by a tractor trailer

no

i let the money blow away if i have to

the irony will be a major breakthru in developing a cure for _________ in the year 20XX followed by ecological disaster the very next month

there is something out of order here

hahah peace my dude good structure.
could be.
like with the doctor thing they're all experts but cannot find a relation. this is the problem with today's science we need a more unified, holistic scientists these days. as the outcome these scientists and people with money who control them make lots of mistakes and as always society takes a hit. now if these doctors knew the science of 5 elements (or 4 in certain cultures) the would find common grounds on which they could connect their profession. that is the major element that i think is lacking here.

with the money on the street. haha yeah yo too many ppl would get hit. lots of conscious ppl too tho.

i think we're all struggling for balance right now and everybody gets knocked out their orbit.
peace!