PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop/Rap music and drugs

Machete
04-11-2007, 01:53 AM
As a teen, I smoked ganja on the regular. Everyday all day. And in most cases I would have some sort of music on. Most likely it was material from any member of the Wu. In my early 20s I stopped smokin and I also noticed I stopped listening to Rap. I still listen, but I don't feel it like I used to when I was blazin. I am 2 years clean now and just cannot get into any of it.
Yeah I got all the classics and shit still but does this mean I was a fake fan? Why did I associate Wu's music with weed? I suppose most of yall are diehards here and haven't gone through this.

Visionz
04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
2 years clean? you give up drinkin as well?

Urban_Journalz
04-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Honestly, all music sounds better when you're high in some way. I think you associated Wu-Tang with being high because most of the classic albums were made while THEY were high! Doesn't make you a fake fan though IMO, because it's tight music wether you're high or sober. I think you just need to widen your range a bit. It can't always be Wu-Tang. Get some Roots, Common, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, etc. The only two Wu albums that make me want to smoke are Ironman, Return To The 36 Chambers, Cuban Linx and Supreme Clientele, but at the same time, I don't HAVE to be high to appreciate the music. Also, we usually tend to just listen to the beats while we're high, listen to the lyrics and break 'em down a few times as well, so when somebody asks why you love Wu, you can be like, "Why DON'T YOU love Wu?!"

murkoutz
04-11-2007, 03:57 AM
music can still move me when im sober, certain songs are jus uncontrollable i mean high or not when i hear like "daytona 500" or "i cant go to sleep" which i played like crazy during a two hour strut get me pumped. a lot of times when im high and listening to music i space out half way thru and start freestyling

Kong
04-11-2007, 04:06 AM
I don't feel it the same but thats because you pay for getting high, you enjoy shit more when high but less when not. When I stop smoking for a while it is hard to listen to Hiphop without wanting a smoke sometimes but I get passed it as I have to have Hiphop in my life.

beautifulrock
04-11-2007, 04:55 AM
The only two Wu albums that make me want to smoke are Ironman, Return To The 36 Chambers, Cuban Linx and Supreme Clientele,

what were you smoking when you wrote this?

RAMESH
04-11-2007, 07:17 AM
i also smoke alot of weed & like to listen to music when i'm smoking if i'm not smoking then i don't listen

Urban_Journalz
04-11-2007, 02:41 PM
what were you smoking when you wrote this?

:$ lol

I was stone cold sober. I did name more than two though huh? Oh well, sue me. Unless it's an objection to the albums themselves as well. If that's the case, I chose those because while all Wu-Albums (with the exceptions of The Yin and The Yang, Code Red, The Struggle, The Trials and Tribulations of Russell Jones, Mr. Excitement and Tical 0) are dope, those are the ones that put me into a melodic trans THE MOST. I'm not takin' anything away from T2: Judgement Day, Bobby Digital and of course not 36 Chambers, I get a much more soothing feeling with those though. What about you? What albums make YOU wanna get high?:tease:

SniperShot
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
the only good music to listen to when yur high is screwed and chopped shit.
but um that makes no sense that u only like rap when yur high.....

Longbongcilvaringz
04-11-2007, 02:46 PM
^at journ..

you said "two albums" and proceeded to list 4 or 5.

not that i care, but some people do.

SID
04-11-2007, 02:59 PM
weed and music have always gone hand in hand, like bob marley said "music an herb go together", i got love for the music high or not, but when your high listenin to the wu, pac.....man you all know that NEXT LEVEL, you feel in touch with the lyrical content, the beats....you cant get that feelin anywhere else,
and for the lyricists and rappers (if you control the weed not the other way round) some of the material you deliever.....you,ll suprise yourself

Urban_Journalz
04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
^at journ..

you said "two albums" and proceeded to list 4 or 5.

not that i care, but some people do.

Yeah, true. I goofed hardcore. lol. I'm just messin' tho.