PDA

View Full Version : My Verdict On Joell Ortiz's The Brick

Scribbles
05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
After a week of listening to this album, I've pretty much listened to everything that has to be listened to.

In terms of cohesiveness and putting an album together as opposed to compiling a bunch of songs onto a CD, the album deserves 5 MICS hands down. It definitely has a certain feel from track to track.

As far as the lyrics go, they were definitely tight. Not so much of a punch line guy, more of an emotion type of artist. He gets 4 mics for this.

Flow-wise, I say 5 mics. No disputing that, he just came really really aggressive with a lot of heartfelt tracks.

Overall, the album is definitely a MUST HAVE. I give it 5 mics, fuck it. It really is a great album. The only track that I'm not really feeling is "Latino," but that's because Im not latino. But the theme of the song is nice. Also, the beat on that track with Noyd is wack to me. Same piano loop over and over. Noyd shoulda came to me for that beat LoL.

But the album is definitely nice. Ya should all cop it. It was worth every cent.

TrueDciple
05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Dude is super nice on the mic! and humble too, i heard his interview with angie martinez and hes a simple guy just trying to spit as hard as he can cause he pretty much loves hip-hop. I hope he stays that way and im looking foward to get *Bodega chronicles* Peace!

cap
05-01-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah its on my 'to-cop' list!!
really excited about it.
thx for this review.
i think he can do great things for hip hop,especially since he's down with dre.

venex
05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I've been checkin' this guy out for the last 2 years...and finally his album drops...

can't wait to cop it..haven't heard it yet..

looks ill though

peace!

stayshigh
05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Hip hop needed this album, it's one of the best out in years. Like a cold glass of lemonade on a hot day.

Scribbles
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Words don't describe this album. It's just too ill. There's a lot of mixed emotions on this.

harm77
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
wowi keephearing about this guy.gotta checkhimout. being hes fromNYC and brings that rawness thats solacked these days.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-13-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah its a dope album, the beat selection is great, and the entire album has some cohension as you said.

his flow is decent, not 5 mics imo, but his lyrics are what stand out to me. it not necessarily "conscious" stuff as some people might say, but his lyrics are completely different to basically anything ive heard recently. he talks about his life and hip hop, which basically makes for interesting subject matter.

out of the newer breed of mc's to emerge out of new york he seems to standout compared to saigon, papoose etc. because of his lyrical content.

beat selection seems to be a huge problem for alot of mc's, in terms of getting a particular sound on an album, but he did a pretty good job i reckon.

TAURO
05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I've heard bits from this album and I have to say im feeling it a lot, Ortiz rhymes with a lot of heart which I think is a rare thing these days in terms of the newer generation. This album has shot to the top of my to get list which considering the albums that are high priority already, it's something of an achievement.

As a side note Im loving the track LATINO for obvious reasons but also because I love the direction of the track too. Latins always tend to get overlooked in hip hop regardless of talent (Pun the exception) so im glad to see Ortiz get the attention from the hip hop community, not to mention being backed by Dr Dre.

junius
05-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey, funny, I was JUST gonna start a thread on this because Joell was lost in a weirdly titled one before.

Sean-- it's interesting you say "concious" & I think that is the word, it's almost a new, REAL street conciousness, not the same old-- even done well, like with X-Clan, or silly 5% cliche crap). The street stuff is also tight, dark feeling but without the cartoon gangster shit. People are gonna say Biggie a lot w/Joell's delivery but overall it's more like Biggie-inspired but w/maturity he didn't live to see.

Re: rankings, shit... 4.5/5 lyrics/flow, 4 production, even the Akon chorus song doesn't suck (tho' I could live without it).

Verdict: Best album of 2007 so far, for me a step ahead of other faves like Wisemen, Hell Razah, Sean Price & Prodigy.

Question1: can he survice Aftermath intact?

Question2: can Papoose top it?

Longbongcilvaringz
05-14-2007, 01:27 AM
yeah man, i just dont like mc's classed as concious necessarily, his lyrics are something different on quite a few track on the album though.

there are some flaws in the album, a few weak tracks, but i think the rest compensates well for the poorer tracks.

right now id give it either 8/10 or 8.5/10.

thoroughly enjoyable.

if you havent heard any of his stuff, this is one of my favourite tracks on the album:

7GAUC1ex3L4

DR. NICK RIVIERA
05-14-2007, 02:54 AM
I like his flow and lyrics, but dislike some of the beats...

a strong 8/10

beardman
05-14-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm very positive about this album. This album shits over almost all albums of the last 7 years.

It has been a long time since I can listen to a whole album, enjoying every song. People were praising Styles P, Lupe Fiasco, Clipse, Nas cd. Those cds might be quite good, but this album is on a other level than those. Those cd's got a lot of skippable tracks and no real standout track.

The beats are good, his flow and lyrics are good too. You can hear in his voice that he means every word he says. He doesn't spit fake shit.

I don't know if this album should be certified as classic (time will tell).

I recommand this LP to everyone: mainstream and underground fans.

9/10
________
sativa strains (http://strainindex.com)

famenchuan
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
just turned on the tv and saw the video for hip-hop. Fucking dope joint.

junius
05-15-2007, 09:20 PM
125 Grams video--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GAUC1ex3L4&mode=related&search=

for a hype track the man has A LOT to say, hah.

The Hound
05-16-2007, 02:05 AM
i listen to it once ... was good ... would give it 7/10 so far ... giving it a 2nd listen ...