PDA

View Full Version : the new Kanye west album has already been reviewed !! check it out !!

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Peep the style, from a major UK paper last sunday, meant to up earlier:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/reviews/story/0,13875,1527815,00.html (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/reviews/story/0,13875,1527815,00.html)

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 01:06 PM
heres my review: fucking wack!

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Article On Kanye West "Late Registration"
Kanye West's Argument With Himself

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/07/24/arts/24sann.xl.jpg
The hip-hop star Kanye West, who excels at both rapping and producing, during a break at a recording studio in Hollywood. His new album, "Late Registration," is due out next month.

By KELEFA SANNEH
Published: July 24, 2005

IF you had walked into the right Los Angeles recording studio sometime this past May, you would have been able to peer through a glass panel and watch Kanye West in a vocal booth, rapping. There was nothing unusual about that; he was trying to finish his second CD, "Late Registration," which just might be this year's most eagerly anticipated album, in any genre.

But if you had been paying attention to the lyrics, you might have noticed something bizarre: there weren't any. Or at any rate, there weren't enough. "I got na na da naa/ Da da can't deny," he rapped. He hadn't finished writing the lyrics yet, but he already knew the meter, and the general rhyme scheme. Now all he had to do was work backward, from sound to sense.

A lot of times, visiting a hip-hop star in the studio is deadly dull, because of the genre's fairly strict division of labor. On your average hip-hop track, the producer is the composer, responsible for all the music. So rappers often go into the studio with a song that's nearly finished; all they have to do is add lyrics, repeating them over and over until they come out cleanly. Some major rappers eventually become minor producers, too, like Eminem; a few years ago, he started making (and sometimes selling) his own spare, gloomy beats, which leave plenty of room for rhymes. Others, like Jay-Z, prefer to remain in the vocal booth (or, these days, the corporate boardroom), leaving the producing to the producers.

But since Mr. West excels at both rhyming and composing, watching him in the studio is like watching a man have a long discussion - sometimes an argument - with himself. He can go into the vocal booth and bend words or syllabic placeholders around the beat. Then he can sit down at a sampler or keyboard and tweak the beat to match the words. He's been doing both things this summer, as he rushes to finish "Late Registration" in time for its new release date, Aug. 30. The disc was first announced for July 12, then pushed back to Aug. 16. Reached by phone a few days ago, he admitted he still wasn't quite done. "I'm going to work on something till the last minute they give me," he said.

Three years ago Mr. West was known mainly as a hip-hop producer obsessed with 1970's soul; rapping seemed almost like a hobby. His lyrics, available on self-released mix tapes, were appealing precisely because he seemed only half-serious. "We ain't have to go coach, told you I'd be paid soon/ We ain't gotta sit in this emergency aisle just to get legroom," he rhymed, clumsily cramming in the extra syllables.

He seems amused when he's reminded of that old couplet. "I wouldn't do that now because I would have a skeleton, a pattern that I would stick to that sounds good with the beat," he explained. "Adding words that mean something to that pattern, that's my trick."

Mr. West is now one of the best-known rappers in the country. He has sold more than two million copies of his debut album, "The College Dropout" (Roc-A-Fella/Island Def Jam), which was released last year and immediately sounded like a classic. He even has the accessory that every hip-hop star wants: coattails. His R&B protégé, John Legend, has sold more than a million copies of his debut album, "Get Lifted" (Sony). And Mr. West oversaw "Be" (Sony), the new album by the veteran rapper (and fellow Chicagoan) Common. The disc earned rapturous (in fact, somewhat overheated) reviews and may well turn out to be Common's best-selling album yet.

Now that he's got a name, Mr. West also has an image and maybe even an image problem. Because his lyrics sometimes hint at social and political protest, he is often invoked as the answer to whatever is supposedly troubling hip-hop. (At Live 8 in Philadelphia, he rapped, "Drug dealer buys Jordans, crackhead buys crack/ And George Bush gets paid off o' all o' that.") And because his public appearances suggest that he doesn't underrate his own music, he's also known as a big-headed new star, the kind of sore winner who protests about not getting enough awards. In other words, he's thought of as both a solution and a problem, which means he must be doing something right.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/07/24/arts/24sann2.jpg
"I've always been rhyming - that's why I've always been a good producer," says the rap artist Kanye West, who tinkers with a project until it is just right.

You can hear these competing currents in "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)," the first single from "Late Registration" (Roc-a-Fella/Island Def Jam). Who but Mr. West would promote a new album with a song named in honor of the African victims of the diamond trade? And who but Mr. West would begin that song by rapping about his now-infamous tantrum at the American Music Awards? Recalling the night he lost the best-new-artist trophy to the country singer Gretchen Wilson, he rhymes: "I was sick about awards, could nobody cure me/ Only player that got robbed and kept all his jewelry/ Alicia Keys tried to talk some sense in him/ 30 minutes later, seen there's no convincing him."

One of the last songs he worked on for the new album was "Rose," about seeing his ailing grandmother in hospital. It begins with a simple request: "I know it's past visiting hours/ But can I please deliver these flowers?" After playing a rough version, Mr. West looked restless: he was plainly proud of his verses, which were unusually sparse, but the beat sounded slightly stilted. So began yet another conversation with himself.

What about a classic sample? An associate downloaded Taana Gardner's 1981 disco hit "Heartbeat," with a slow thumping beat that echoes the most memorable line in "Rose": "You can feel my heart beat, beat, beat." Mr. West sampled the rhythm track and isolated the kick drum and the snare. Soon "Rose" was playing again, and Mr. West had his own variation on the "Heartbeat" heartbeat. Was that it?

Apparently not. The next day, Rich Harrison, one of the leading R&B producers, stopped by, partly to talk to Mr. West about a remix of a hit by Amerie, Mr. Harrison's protégé. (Mr. Harrison is also the man who looped an old Chi-Lites record to create Beyoncé's "Crazy in Love.") Inevitably, Mr. West drafted Mr. Harrison into service, and soon the two men had formed a superproducer tag team. Mr. Harrison tapped a drum line into the sampler, and Mr. West liked what he heard - for a while, anyway.

But soon he was back at it, and eventually he hit upon a solution, slowing the rhythm down to half-speed so you could feel every backbeat and so the words sounded lonelier. "I've always been rhyming - that's why I've always been a good producer," he explained afterward. "I just wasn't the greatest rapper. Now that I rap better, I make simpler tracks."

Right now, the pop charts are dominated by mix-and-match collaborations, and albums are often made the same way. In some sense, Mr. West is bucking this trend: he often seems like a singular and self-sufficient star, a double-virtuoso who doesn't need to collaborate with anyone besides himself. But because of his experience as a producer, Mr. West has learned how to invite lots of guests to his parties without letting them trash the place. "The College Dropout" had so many collaborators that they earned their own two-page spread in the CD booklet, which was wittily laid out as a high-school yearbook. (Mr. West gave himself two superlatives: best dressed and most unlikely to succeed.) But the album never felt like a grab bag. In fact, some fans probably still don't know that "Jesus Walks" was partly written by an Indianapolis rapper named Rhymefest, who receives a discreet credit in the liner notes.

For "Late Registration," Mr. West worked with everyone from the white Houston rapper Paul Wall to the mellow producer and multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion, who is best known for overseeing albums by Aimee Mann and Fiona Apple. And judging from an early, unfinished version, the new album may show off Mr. West's rhymes and stories even more effectively than its predecessor. He has perfected the art of tinkering with a project until it's just right.

And then, as some exasperated Roc-A-Fella executives could surely tell you, tinkering some more. When he needed a video for "Jesus Walks," the extraordinary gospel track that became one of his biggest hits, Mr. West commissioned three different videos (including one he directed himself), all of which received some airplay. In one of the videos, a Klansman re-enacts a station of the (burning) cross; in another, Jesus literally walks with the protagonist, even helping out with some instant grocery shopping. (One nod, Jeannie-like, and the fridge is full.)

Not surprisingly, the unveiling of "Late Registration" hasn't gone smoothly. After he had recorded "Diamonds," he learned about the conditions of diamond workers in Sierra Leone and elsewhere. He went back and retitled the track "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)," and flew to Prague to shoot an apocalyptic video (with conflict diamonds a central, if mysterious, plot point). Then the images in the video didn't match the lyrics, so Mr. West recorded a new version of the track, with a verse from Jay-Z; now the popular remix doesn't match the music in the video. A few days ago, Mr. West said he still wasn't sure which version would wind up on the album. And now his record label is marketing a new single, a lighthearted track called "Gold Digger," which includes a chorus by Jamie Foxx in Ray Charles mode.

"What's weird," Mr. West says, "is I keep working, but I keep finishing. Every day when I work at the studio, I finish the album. So if someone was like, 'You've got to turn it in today,' I would be confident turning it in today. But if they gave me another week, I would work for another week."

Source: NYTimes

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 01:10 PM
STFU

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 01:26 PM
calm down assclown, i merely gave my opinion....

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 01:31 PM
u never listend to it !

sungod
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
your biased opinion...

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
How is my opinion biased? He's garbage.

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 01:53 PM
http://ns2082.ovh.net/~a0bpmK/php/0pub/news/images/o/late_registration.jpg

Hayabusa
07-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Holla at me on PM if this joint leak...

deadlymelody
07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
College Dropout is not a classic if that album came out in 95 or something it woulda sounded pretty average.

THE W
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
i never heard college dropout. i did hear "be" and its pretty good. i dont really care for kanye one way or the other cuz he just a Rza by-product.

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 03:11 PM
i never heard college dropout. i did hear "be" and its pretty good. i dont really care for kanye one way or the other cuz he just a Rza by-product.college dropout is ill

and kanye aint a rza fake or whaeva

SHRAP
07-24-2005, 03:25 PM
youre right, kanye is just a byproduct of a cows ass

iNtell3kT
07-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Kanyes Sick, the shithe did with Dipset is sick, i think he sick, his beats, not his "rap game" as he lieks to call it, but more power to him, as long as he dont make a boring song, and he needs to get some good guest spots to rap over those beats correctly......i just didnt like it when he was fuckin with Twista....as long as thats obver with...its all good now

Punch
07-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't think anyone cares if you like Kanye or not, you're just conming off as ignorant by passing judgement on an album you havn't heard yet.

Everyone has opinions and that's cool. You seem to like Ill Bill while I think he's corny

Antibody
07-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Kanye = bad rapper, good producer

Punch
he just a Rza by-product.
why is that a bad thing?

Orion Nebulus
Who gives a monkey's ass!!! Can we see some real threads please!!!

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't think anyone cares if you like Kanye or not, you're just conming off as ignorant by passing judgement on an album you havn't heard yet.

Everyone has opinions and that's cool. You seem to like Ill Bill while I think he's corny
Thats me though, I'm a very ignorant person. Its cool that you don't like ILL BiLL, you don't see my blowing my top like someone else did....

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
this board is wack as fuck...

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
this board is wack as fuck...
JUST LIKE KANYE!

pussy-with-teeth
07-24-2005, 04:08 PM
JUST LIKE KANYE!
ill bill is wack 2

Unforgiven
07-24-2005, 04:09 PM
ill bill is wack 2
So you admit that Kanye is wack?

TSA
07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
wow, northstarr- are you 6? You are the first person that has ever.. i mean EVER, made pussy with teeth look smart. You are sad

tical2000
07-24-2005, 04:27 PM
how is KANYE WEST wack????

KANYE WEST makes his own beats.....which at this moment have to be some of the best that are made today

KANYE WEST actually raps about original stuff other than pimps and booty shaking..........

KANYE WEST is different than the clones that dominate mainstream hip hop

....you would think that a lover of true hip hop would at least respect this

THE W
07-24-2005, 05:24 PM
why is that a bad thing?
i'd rather hear the genuine article. his production is tight but it doesnt really impress me since wu has been doing it for years.

if he can take what he learned from wu and revolutionize the sound then i'll be interested.

wu gambino
07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Like I thought... the tracklist you posted before was wrong.
I thought it was considering they didnt even put the single up in it.
So someone please get me the right tracklist and Ill thank you in the release dates thread.
Peace

Punch
07-24-2005, 07:00 PM
i'd rather hear the genuine article. his production is tight but it doesnt really impress me since wu has been doing it for years.

if he can take what he learned from wu and revolutionize the sound then i'll be interested.
He's doing his own thing with it. he's not doing the Wu sound, he's doing a sound that's influenced by Rza, and I see that as a good thing.

tical2000
07-24-2005, 10:31 PM
He's doing his own thing with it. he's not doing the Wu sound, he's doing a sound that's influenced by Rza, and I see that as a good thing.

Ya I agree, KANYE WEST is doing beats influenced by RZA, but he is not bitting WU TANG's style at all.......

pussy-with-teeth
07-25-2005, 06:41 AM

kanye has nothing to do with rza..only thing is that uses soul samples..listen to kanye..he has his own soound..i thought u aint listend to his album so get it..there is a track with odb..u need to hear the shit real bad man

THE W
07-25-2005, 07:51 AM
im not saying he is a biter but he doesnt really impress me cuz i've been there, heard that.

MILF DOOM
07-25-2005, 11:36 AM
looking good

Unforgiven
07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't even see were Kanye compares to Wu? His style is nothing like it.....

Tage
07-25-2005, 11:45 AM
^no he's not, get his tracks with Chopz... adn i think his new production albumwill be good, talib kweli and phil da agony should be guests fo sho!

THE W
07-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't even see were Kanye compares to Wu? His style is nothing like it.....
because kanye said he did, and if you listen to ghostface's albums his beats sound like those. he uses a lot of soul samples and has a retro sound.

its all good dude im not hatin on anybody for liking him, i just personally am not impressed.

pussy-with-teeth
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
because kanye said he did, and if you listen to ghostface's albums his beats sound like those. he uses a lot of soul samples and has a retro sound.

its all good dude im not hatin on anybody for liking him, i just personally am not impressed.
kanye was influences by SC, then he made beats for ghostface BPW but jay-z was crazy asking for em, and kanye himself said he gave him to hov cause the roc was fam and all that..it was the beats for jays classic Blueprint, never change, heart of the city, takeover,- those should have been on BPW - now back to the topic....Kanye is doing his own thing - a long time b4 ghosts "pretty toney" - wich is the only kanye compareble album...kanye is doing his thing..he might be influnced by some wu shit (wich is ok cause thats how the games goes - everybody influenced everybody) but he is def ill....and when u listen to his album - u gonna be impressed

bringoutthegimp
07-25-2005, 01:30 PM
this is gonna be very close to classic

dojo_pros
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
9 songs have been leaked on isohunt, i wont be dl it though because going of his last album his lyrics were wack but his beats were nice

pussy-with-teeth
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
9 songs have been leaked on isohunt, i wont be dl it though because going of his last album his lyrics were wack but his beats were niceits lyircs aint the best - but far from wack

his subject matter carries alót

Punch
07-25-2005, 05:06 PM
kanye was influences by SC, then he made beats for ghostface BPW but jay-z was crazy asking for em, and kanye himself said he gave him to hov cause the roc was fam and all that..it was the beats for jays classic Blueprint, never change, heart of the city, takeover,- those should have been on BPW - now back to the topic....Kanye is doing his own thing - a long time b4 ghosts "pretty toney" - wich is the only kanye compareble album...kanye is doing his thing..he might be influnced by some wu shit (wich is ok cause thats how the games goes - everybody influenced everybody) but he is def ill....and when u listen to his album - u gonna be impressed
that didn't happen. Kanye and Just didn't make beats for Ghost. They said they produced those songs AS IF they were producing for GHhost

dojo_pros
07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
its lyircs aint the best - but far from wack

his subject matter carries alót
all he seems to talk about is his car crash, he said on the NME his new album is going to save rap hahahahahaaa

pussy-with-teeth
07-26-2005, 06:14 AM
all he seems to talk about is his car crash, he said on the NME his new album is going to save rap hahahahahaaa
uhm no

listen to his album - threw th wire is bout his crash...thats all . some lines here ans there...nothing wrong with it. He was one moment away from the death - if u would have seen the deaths eyes and smell his shit - u would talb bout it too....and his new album can be the shit, maybe it save rap - tell me why not ??? commons BE already was the best joint since Supreme Clientele and Blueprint....

pussy-with-teeth
07-26-2005, 06:15 AM
that didn't happen. Kanye and Just didn't make beats for Ghost. They said they produced those songs AS IF they were producing for GHhost
iam not talkking bout just blaze but whateva - word on the inet was that Kanyes beats for BP were suposed to go to ghost - thats what i heard

Punch
07-26-2005, 06:36 AM
iam not talkking bout just blaze but whateva - word on the inet was that Kanyes beats for BP were suposed to go to ghost - thats what i heard
yeah you're right I just re-read the Kanye interview where he says that, but he did say him and Just were both producing joints with Ghost in mind

pussy-with-teeth
07-26-2005, 06:51 AM
yeah you're right I just re-read the Kanye interview where he says that, but he did say him and Just were both producing joints with Ghost in mind
man...i would love to hear ghost spitting bout them beats...uhm is there anything comming in future..like a ghost/kanye collabo...iam looking forward to that man

Punch
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
man...i would love to hear ghost spitting bout them beats...uhm is there anything comming in future..like a ghost/kanye collabo...iam looking forward to that man
yeah Ghost would get alot more attention, but it seems like Ghost doesn't fuck with big name producers for some reason. Maybe with Jay being prez at Def Jam that will change.

R3beLuTionAry
07-27-2005, 01:54 AM

Your discredited with saying dumb things like this on this board. You are now an official dumb ass. You will pay for the computer i broke while being mad.

WuBanga36
07-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Your discredited with saying dumb things like this on this board. You are now an official dumb ass. You will pay for the computer i broke while being mad.

^ Lol.

pussy-with-teeth
07-27-2005, 11:53 AM
anyone in here listend to the new single "golddiggers" heard its out with video and all that !!!

up the shit if u have it - need to hear this real bad

PN_00
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM

yeah but most producers on ghostface's album other than ironman arent wu affiliates..