View Full Version : Islam Flourishes Among U.s. Blacks

lord patch
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
ISLAM FLOURISHES AMONG U.S. BLACKS
Matthew Bigg, Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/inDepthNews/idUSN2121536220070225

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Islam is growing fast among African Americans, who
are undeterred by increased scrutiny of Muslims in the United States
since the September 11 attacks, according to imams and experts.

Converts within the black community say they are attracted to the
disciplines of prayer, the emphasis within Islam on submission to God
and the religion's affinity with people who are oppressed.

Some blacks are also suspicious of U.S. government warnings about the
emergence of new enemies since the 2001 attacks because of memories of
how the establishment demonized civil rights leaders Martin Luther
King and Malcolm X.

As a result, they are willing to view Islam as a legitimate
alternative to Christianity, the majority religion among U.S. blacks.

"It is one of the fastest-growing religions in America," said Lawrence
Mamiya, professor of religion at Vassar College, speaking of Islam
among black Americans.

He said there were up to 2 million black U.S. Muslims but acknowledged
there are no precise figures.

"It's not viewed (by authorities) as a threat because the numbers are
small and once we get past the war on terror and all the negative
images then it will continue to spread."

Black Americans typically attend mosques separate from Muslims from
immigrant backgrounds despite sharing common beliefs, according to
Aminah McCloud, religious studies professor at DePaul University in
Chicago.

But imams in Atlanta, a U.S. center for black Muslims, said they were
subjected to less scrutiny than Muslims from the Middle East and
Indian sub-continent.

RAP BROWN'S MOSQUE

Many blacks converted during the civil rights era, when Malcolm X
helped popularize the Nation of Islam, attracting boxer Muhammad Ali
among others. Islam still attracts prominent blacks such as rapper
Scarface, a recent convert.

But the Nation of Islam has declined as a force at the expense of an
association of mosques led by Warith Deen Muhammad, the son of Nation
of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad, who died in 1975.

At a street-corner mosque in one of Atlanta's oldest and poorest
neighborhoods, a recent Friday sermon illustrated the power of the
history of Islam in the United States for blacks.

Men and women sat separately on the mosque floor, heads covered, as
cleric Nadim Ali recounted stories from history of Muslim slaves
brought from Africa who struggled to uphold their faith in the face of
slaveholders' opposition.

If Muslims could remain true to Islam under slavery, the audience
should follow their example, Ali said at the Community Masjid of
Atlanta in the city's West End district.

"You are talking about a people who were cut off from their roots ....
Islam reconnects you with Africa and with other parts of the world so
your peoplehood transcends race," Ali said later in an interview.

The mosque has a direct link to a slice of black history. It was
founded by H. Rap Brown, a one-time member of the 1960s Black Panthers
group. Brown became a Muslim in prison in the 1970s and changed his
name to Jamil al-Amin.

He was convicted for allegedly killing a sheriff's deputy in Georgia
in March 2000 and is serving a sentence of life without parole, but in
his absence the mosque has continued what Ali said was the low-profile
work of building a local Muslim community.

CONVERSION

The mosque teaches there was no distinction between Sunni and Shi'ite
within Islam, according to people who attend regularly. Sermons urged
Muslims to find work, stay free from crime and drugs and maintain
stable family lives.

Ali said he assumed the mosque was bugged and infiltrated by
informers, in part because its leaders remained skeptical about U.S.
policies since September 11.

"They (the government) unplug black people and plug in Arabs or
Muslims. They unplug Arabs and plug in communists. America needs war
to maintain its economic status," he said.

The larger Masjid of al-Islam mosque in another mainly black
neighborhood of Atlanta is part of Warith Deen Muhammad's group. Its
imam, Plemon el-Amin, said he was involved with local interfaith work
as well as with a local Islamic school.

One recent Friday, Mark King, a new convert, and hundreds of others at
the mosque listened to a preacher urge Muslims to seek God through the
Koran. Followers of other faiths should seek God through their own
holy books, the preacher said.

King, who wears his hair in dreadlocks, converted after visiting
Africa for the first time and in Gambia read the Koran and realized
its teaching chimed with his own beliefs, not least in fighting injustice.

"For young African Americans, there is some attraction to learning
about traditions that have been associated with resistance to European
imperialism," said King, who has adopted the name Bilal Mansa since
his conversion.

WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE

Ultimate Fist
05-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I respect brother and sisters who convert to Islam but I don't know if that's where we should be going as a people, except of course for people who believe in Islam as the one true faith. I think we should reclaim religions more indigenous to Africa, like Voodoo and Santeria. A lot of Muslims came over here on the slave ships but many more were of those faiths. Also, they are indigenous to Africa, made by us for us.

diggy
05-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Since the slave master used the christian religion as a shackle to mentally bind and enslave us, it is only natural to sever that bind and adopt a different religion.

Christianity as it is practiced by so-called "christians" is not what christ has taught anyway. These so-called followers of christ do not follow him.

A religion like islam and the study of other black muslims who became muslim (Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, etc.) will show black people some dignity and self-respect that they will find in islam. It will bring discipline and peace.

SID
05-16-2007, 06:36 AM
islam is not just fast growing among the black population but the whole of america, people can see past the zionisitic satanic bullshit fed to them, and see the beauty, unity and truthfulness of the religon of al-islam, an islamic state beckons i can feel it...not by force but by the people embracing their BIRTHRIGHT,(on a side note) i recently saw a program on russian skinhead gangs recently, they said they are preparing for a war with the "islamists" and are feeding youths with hate towards the muslims, which will only end in confrontation
but we will not be blamed.....

Taylor_Made
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I respect brother and sisters who convert to Islam but I don't know if that's where we should be going as a people, except of course for people who believe in Islam as the one true faith. I think we should reclaim religions more indigenous to Africa, like Voodoo and Santeria. A lot of Muslims came over here on the slave ships but many more were of those faiths. Also, they are indigenous to Africa, made by us for us.

Muslims also ran the slave trade in the east. Either way, I like the idea of peope uniting no matter what religion it is. I love my people and im glad Atlanta is one of the places where these numbers are rising. Now if Chicago, D.C., and Detroit could follow suit. Its dire times right now and anything to bring justice and unity within the people is welcomed.

Those Skinheads in Russia Should be worried. Most of Europe Should be worried actually. In England there are areas where most of the Muslims govern themselves under Sharia Law while still living within the Laws of the UK.

SID
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
yo iam from the london G, no muslims govern themselves by sharia law, and ive met a lot of muslims

diggy
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
islam is not just fast growing among the black population but the whole of america, people can see past the zionisitic satanic bullshit fed to them, and see the beauty, unity and truthfulness of the religon of al-islam, an islamic state beckons i can feel it...not by force but by the people embracing their BIRTHRIGHT,(on a side note) i recently saw a program on russian skinhead gangs recently, they said they are preparing for a war with the "islamists" and are feeding youths with hate towards the muslims, which will only end in confrontation
but we will not be blamed.....

Skinheads could eat a dark dick. The skinheads in Russia (I might have seen the same show as u) are just mad cuz Russia basically lost against the Chechens. A lot of young teenage Russians fought the war against the Chechens and lost their petty lives. That is y russians are imbedding hatred towards muslims.

The Russians thought they could crush a guerrilla army easily ( the Chechens), but if u study military knowledge u would know that a guerrilla army using hit and run tactics could easily defeat a conventional army. Any way like I said the Russians r mad and that anger turned into hatred and will probably soon lead to another war in which the fuckin Russian nazi pricks will lose their fucking lives again!

CITY ZEEKER
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
im glad to see more an more african americans are converting to islam, but its sad to say tht they dont practice it with all their heart, i have friends and kno people who converted to islam who are african americans.. they come to pray and than are on the corner smokin a blunt or drinkin a 40, id like to encourage african americans tht islam is a disciplined religion, especially if they convert, cause u have to change ur lifestyle no matter how it is... u can call proclaim urself a muslim but never be a muslim by heart.. im glad wenever i see a brother or sister in the mosque, it makes me proud to be a muslim to see the world slowly converting into ISLAM..

salaam

lord patch
05-17-2007, 05:58 PM
peace,

point of information;

you don't "convert" to islam -- you revert to islam. islam believes that all of us are born muslim and are lead astray by wrong teachings or not having heard the word. allah (swt) calls each one back to islam so there is not "conversion" only a return to truth. this is why the hon elijah mohammad said that blacks were "returning" to their true religion or faith. for islam is not a religion -- it is a faith and way of life. the west wishes to make it a religion.

as for the true afrikan religions -- afrika is large and ancient with many peoples -- a large portion semitic and not jewish -- we must stop using the term antisemitic in reference to a bunch of racist rich white folk who "kidnapped the jews and destroyed the black evidence" - for semite is a race -- judaism a religion -- only hilter used it as a term to refer to the jews -- because there were semits there -- most of whom if not all were killed first because they looked like semites -- easy to spot -- just like the black germans, gypsys and the eastern european hasidic jews -- most of the jews who survived were the rich -- who fled germany -- white and converts (cuz usary provided some hella skrill yo -- check the world bank) -- some weren't even jews -- just faking it and fucking with the records to get out of shite and make the holocaust into an industry then push forward the fourth reich -- the issue of identity theft after the war was examined in the play by robert shaw "the man in the glass booth" where the european jew, not so amazingly, passes as a nazi officier (eichman) in order to try the man in israel for the crimes he committed but died before he could stand trial -- the victim becomes the victimizer -- and in martin sherman's "bent" where the german homosexual passes himself off as a jew so that he can have an easier time than the ones wearing the pink triangle in the german concentration camps.

the semite is indigenious to ethiopia, somalia and the arab lands -- not a eurojewish race religion of rich fascist white folk -- we must not get caught up in afroamerikkkacentrick and eurocentrick revisionism of our historys -- afrikans had and have many faiths which go back to the beginning -- hanif (an early form of monotheism which has no actual religion simply a knowledge and faith of one creator), hebrew -- christian -- islam -- amongst others and some rather nasty faiths which are oppressive and consist of parasitic priesthoods, human sacrifice, child murders, blood sports and cruelty.

islam liberated many peoples in afrika from backward oppressive supersitous beliefs.

as for slavery -- the first slave owners were afrikans. ...and they weren't nice about it either -- just like all slave owners. nubians -- held arab slaves and would trade them with the arab lands and other afrikans.

only romans and muslims gave slaves a chance to become full citizens. romans allowed the slave to buy their way (the u.s. and slaves like oprah to jay z) or fight their way out of slavery (see the u.s. and blacks and latinos and poor whites in sports, boxing and the army) -- not an easy task -- and islam just said that you became muslim -- only if you were not of the 3 other faiths respected in the qur'an -- christianity, hebrewic or zoroastrians -- who were not held as slaves.

the slaves who baught or faught their way out of slavery were paraded or would parade themselves about dawned in the oppressors garb -- showing folk that the myth of system works -- just like logan's run and "renew" -- just like amerikkka.

khoda hafez

diggy
05-18-2007, 12:08 AM
im glad to see more an more african americans are converting to islam, but its sad to say tht they dont practice it with all their heart, i have friends and kno people who converted to islam who are african americans.. they come to pray and than are on the corner smokin a blunt or drinkin a 40, id like to encourage african americans tht islam is a disciplined religion, especially if they convert, cause u have to change ur lifestyle no matter how it is... u can call proclaim urself a muslim but never be a muslim by heart.. im glad wenever i see a brother or sister in the mosque, it makes me proud to be a muslim to see the world slowly converting into ISLAM..

salaam

It takes time to quit those habits. Don't expect people to change over night.

CITY ZEEKER
05-18-2007, 08:51 PM
It takes time to quit those habits. Don't expect people to change over night.

word up it does take time, but i didnt kno it would take 6 months to a yr to change a habitual lifestyle.... if u talkng bout islam, ALLAH'S not gnna say "yo its ok, ill give u permission to down 40's an roll up joints for a month, its ok ur new to my religion, ill be tolerant to you." so yes cousin, u do need to change right away.

rubyspirit
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
The Blacks in America are of the tribes of Israel. They were sold by Muslims. Too bad they are falling into this trap.

Five5aDay
05-19-2007, 01:27 AM
The Blacks in America are of the tribes of Israel. They were sold by Muslims. Too bad they are falling into this trap.

go back to the corner with that..

Black Man
05-19-2007, 01:56 AM
word up it does take time, but i didnt kno it would take 6 months to a yr to change a habitual lifestyle.... if u talkng bout islam, ALLAH'S not gnna say "yo its ok, ill give u permission to down 40's an roll up joints for a month, its ok ur new to my religion, ill be tolerant to you." so yes cousin, u do need to change right away.

How do you know what ALLAH is going to say?

CITY ZEEKER
05-19-2007, 06:31 PM
How do you know what ALLAH is going to say?

i read the Quran kid, ALLAH WILL NOT SAY, IT ALREADY HAS BEEN SAID..

"O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and the altars of idols,and the games of chance are abominations of the devil; you shall avoid them, that you may succeed."

The Qur'an 5 ; 90

HANZO
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
i just hope they can practice it properly and honour the religion and not to disgrace it.
and too all the ppl who say the muslims took part in the slave trade i want solid hard evidence of it. dnt just say well they are just as bad as the white ppl, if they did such a thing half of the americas would be muslim.

Ultimate Fist
05-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Are you sincere? You seem to be challenging rather than actually being intereseted in finding proof.

None the less, here you go. Islam was gentler on slaves, but there are still slaves in Islamic countries...

Islam's black slaves
Page 1
The author of a book on the 1,400-year history of the other slave trade talks about the power of eunuchs, the Nation of Islam's falsehoods and the persistence of slavery today.

By Suzy Hansen
April 5, 2001 | Although slavery seems like an institution from a barbaric and uncivilized past, it survives today in both Sudan and Mauritania. The horrific details of the Atlantic slave trade -- the ruthless slave traders who pillaged Africa, the millions of Africans who died on treacherous sea journeys to America, the resulting "peculiar institution" of cheap, brutalized labor that spawned the Civil War -- weigh heavily on the American conscience. Another slave trade, however, the Islamic one, remains a mysterious aspect in the history of the black diaspora. Fourteen centuries old, this version of slavery spread throughout Africa, the Middle East, Europe, India and China. It is the legacy of this trade that continues to ravage Sudan and Mauritania today.

South African-born Ronald Segal is the author of 13 books including "The Anguish of India," "The Americans" and "The Black Diaspora." In his latest book, "Islam's Black Slaves: The Other Black Diaspora," he offers one of the first historical accounts of the Islamic slave trade. Salon spoke with Segal by telephone from his home in London.

How did the Atlantic and Islamic slave trades differ?

The Atlantic slave trade exclusively used black slaves or agricultural labor on plantations. It started in a very small way in 1450 and ended in the middle of the 19th century. It was the basic labor supply for the plantations in the Americas since the indigenous people had been all but wiped out by a combination of imported diseases and forced labor. The number of slaves who landed alive in the Americas -- it was an important aspect in the development of capitalism, so the numbers are fairly accurate and organized by merchant banks and investors with stock market quotations -- was something like 10,600,000. Slaves became so cheap that it was more profitable to work them to death and buy new ones than to try to keep your labor supply alive. For example, some of the mortality rates in San Domingue -- which became, after the only successful slave revolution in history, Haiti -- were quite staggering.
Slaves in the Atlantic trade came to be kept and regarded as units of labor, not as people. This was almost formalized by categorizing slaves as "pieces of the Indies." A male slave, able-bodied and in the prime of his life, was defined as a "piece of the Indies," and the other slaves, the women and children, were defined as "pieces of pieces of the Indies." That gives you an idea of how the exploitation of African slaves was rationalized in the West.
But not in Islam?

The slave trade in Islam was seriously different. It began in the middle of the seventh century and survives today in Mauritania and Sudan. With the Islamic slave trade, we're talking of 14 centuries rather than four.

Whereas the gender ratio of slaves in the Atlantic trade was two males to every female, in the Islamic trade, it was two females to every male. Very large numbers of slaves were used for domestic purposes. Concubinage was for those who could afford it and there was no disrepute attached to having women as sexual objects. In fact, they married them. Some harems could be enormous. One ruler had 14,000 concubines. In one respect, women slaves were a status symbol. I hate to say it this way, but it's comparable to the way people in the West collect motorcars.

The male slaves were used for the more exacting physical jobs in homes and palaces: porters, messengers, doorkeepers. In various places, from Islamic Spain to Egypt to Libya, there were black slaves used as soldiers. In Morocco, there was a whole generation of black slaves who became the army of Morocco, in which the young boys were bought at the age of 10 or 11 and trained in horse handling and military skills of various kinds. Young female slaves were instructed in household crafts and were then provided with resources to buy a home and get married.

What about eunuchs?

Strictly speaking, in Islam, castration was against the law. I don't think it was in the Koran, I think it was a hadith -- a saying attributed to the prophets -- which says he who castrates a slave will himself be castrated. But they got around this as people do. One contrivance was to buy already castrated slaves. Another was to employ those who were not Muslims to perform the operation. But then even these contrivances came to be abandoned and dealers would perform the operation themselves along the route. The mortality rates were absolutely huge.

To be technical, there was a crucial difference between white eunuchs and black eunuchs. White eunuchs were made by the removal of testicles. Black eunuchs were made by what was called "level with the abdomen." Eunuchs were guardians of the harem [because] if they were castrated "level with the abdomen," there was no risk of their damaging any of the property in the harem.

Ultimate Fist
05-20-2007, 01:06 AM
http://archive.salon.com/books/int/2001/04/05/segal/index.html

Rest of the articles here... explores the various aspects of the Islamic slave trade and why denying it today is dangerous (HINT: our own blood is in shackles over there today.)

HANZO
05-20-2007, 08:50 AM
you do know slavery is forbidden in islam??? so if these ppl did this was it in the name of islam??? no. so how can you say it was the 'islamic slave trade'??? do we call the atlantic slave trade the christian one?? no so why accuse islam of this. unlike the christian world at the time who listened to the pope, islam did not have a caliph or single leader. the various empires did what they did to benefit themselves, not in the name of the empire. also the source claims the muslims in spain took black slaves, there was a thread in the KTL that said the muslims in spain were black. so how does that work out.

whats happening in sudan, ok i kinda do blame the islamic world for that because i dont think they really care. i actually blame the arabs because they are the ones who preach a better islamic world but they pay off the arab sudanese government to kill 'muslim' sudanese black ppl. arab imperialism this is, it shouldnt be allowed. they dnt care about islam all they care about is themselves.

oLd_KaiNry
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
muslims = the most mind destructive religion in this world

fuck religions

u guys are stupid enough to belive in them hahahah

i guess its okay to belive in the message of the religion, but dont belive the gods hype lol

SID
05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
zionism= the most brainwashing, controling, influcencing, destructive "religon" in the world

fuck them, they are the ones who are creating division after all they think there the "chosen people" and all other people are below them

HANZO
05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
muslims = the most mind destructive religion in this world

fuck religions

u guys are stupid enough to belive in them hahahah

i guess its okay to belive in the message of the religion, but dont belive the gods hype lol

what did muslims ever do to you. the media has fucked your mind up, all i see on TV when someone mentions a muslim is a women with her face fully covered, or a man with a big beard cursing the west. i actually dont blame you for thinking like that, cause i get nervous when i see a big bearded fellow on the same train as i am, i dnt like the fact that i see women muslim women here in england fully cover themselves, im against the headscarf all together. some ppl use religion as a way of gaining political power, reason why i preach islam to be followed properly and apative to the surrounding environment. this doesnt go with just islam but many other religions. practicing it properly can make you a better man.

SID
05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
^word