PDA

View Full Version : kung fu flicks

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

bob99digi
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I have yet to watch brave archer 2 and 3. I've had them for some time now.

Wu Master Killer - have you seen "shaolin martial arts"? You might like that.

IMDB - i agree its not that great of a site to look up kung fu movies. Its good to look up filmography. I like "hkflix" I think it is, or "hkcinema".

Elaquent
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
hkcinemagic - is the best way to go for researching kung fu flix. hkflix is a site for buying films...but it does feature some useful info.

theres also the HKMDB which is most useful, but i think u have to sign up for it or something..

bob99digi
05-30-2006, 05:13 PM
next movie i'm watching is "pedicab driver". I"m gonna try to watch it this week.

Tai Chi Master (not Jet Li one) - I want to watch this one too. Anyone see this yet? I tried watchin it and it looked cheap. I just read up on it a bit, and apparently is was a tv show in china, so that explains the "soap opera" look of the movie. Its supposed to be good and have some really good fights. Any thoughts, opinions, reviews?

ShaDynasty
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: I have yet to watch brave archer 2 and 3. I've had them for some time now.

Wu Master Killer - have you seen "shaolin martial arts"? You might like that.

IMDB - i agree its not that great of a site to look up kung fu movies. Its good to look up filmography. I like "hkflix" I think it is, or "hkcinema".
LOL
thats in the mail haha
ima cop as many shaolin flicks as i can
i got the bronzemen trilogy by Joseph Kuo:thumbup:
i also got Shaolin Intruders, but i cant find out what it is
ill watch it
is Brave Archer a venoms flick?

Elaquent
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
"next movie i'm watching is "pedicab driver". I"m gonna try to watch it this week. "

ur in for a treat...just be warned, theres plenty of plot in this one..but what action there is is tops.

"Tai Chi Master (not Jet Li one) - I want to watch this one too. Anyone see this yet? I tried watchin it and it looked cheap. I just read up on it a bit, and apparently is was a tv show in china, so that explains the "soap opera" look of the movie. Its supposed to be good and have some really good fights. Any thoughts, opinions, reviews?"

this tv series is absolutely amazing. the tv series (actually titled Master of Tai Chi) was directed and action directed by Yuen Woo Ping and his bro Yuen Cheung Yan..so that should already get u excited. the fights are honestly better than 95% of the 90s kung fu fights in film...and this is tv!! the dvd condenses 25 or so episodes into 2 1/2 hours, so u'll notice that some parts of the story leave u wondering..and some questions are never answered. however, most of the fights are left in tact, and they are ace. Wu Jing (SPL) is top notch in this one. the series came out in 97. if u know u can get it cheap, do it, u wont be disappointed. there are fights galore, the tai chi choreography is ace. based on straight fights, this is easily Yuen Woo Ping's best tai chi action...definetely better than Tai Chi Master and Tai Chi 2 in fights.

100pr00f
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
is Brave Archer a venoms flick?

mmm.depends.....i say it is.it has 2 to 3 venoms in each on...thier are 4 of them

the 3rd is said to be the best

100pr00f
05-31-2006, 06:21 PM
update..brave archer 3...

a lil better then the first...just cuz my fav venom...kwok
had a bigger role

the ending fight sceans were pretty nice

ill give it a 3.4

ShaDynasty
05-31-2006, 06:44 PM
ima havta cop brave archer

Drunken Master - 4.6/5
very nice joint
jackie chans character was a bit of a spoiled brat, but Yuen Siu Tien as sam seed was a legend in it
jackies drunken fight with hwang jang lee was dope
definetly got replay value
so the next ? i goota aks is jackie in any shaolin based movies
haha?

100pr00f
05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
update: avenging eagle

pretty dope flick

very good story...with all the plot fliping
and lots of fights..and all are good

haha

give this a 5

def gotta cop this if u dont have it yet

peace

Elaquent
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
just watched a good version of Fearless with proper subtitles

9/10 - jets best period film next to fist of legend IMO
great Yuen Woo Ping choreography and plot.

rubyspirit
06-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Overtock.com has a lot of kung fu flicks at good prices.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1173303
This package does not have the classic flicks mentioned by the Wu-tang. Entertaining all the same. 50 Movies - wow!

rubyspirit
06-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Oh, I bought Shaolin & Wutang this weekend. I liked it!

100pr00f
06-01-2006, 07:59 AM
that place dosnt have a good selection

i recommend

http://www.pokerindustries.com/

lots of shaw brother flicks

all remasterd....good place

bob99digi
06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
i goota aks is jackie in any shaolin based movies
haha?

Yes sir he does. Some of his older joints are shaolin based. One of my favorite Chan movies to this day is still......

"Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin" - Film was made in 1978, so it was before he was heavy on the comedy. Story is there was a meeting of the shaolin masters, and somehow they all get killed, and I believe the kung fu manual or kung fu secrets are lost/missing.

Other Chan movies I like are "Snake in the Eagles Shadow", "Dragon Fist", and "Fearless Hyena I & II".

I haven't seen any of these in quite some time. I don't even know if I own any of them anymore.

Elaquent
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
for shaolin-jackie, check out Shaolin Wooden Men. its my fav pre-Snake In the Eagles Shadow jackie film ive seen. jackie plays a mute and only has like 5 lines in the whole film!

www.hkflix.com is a good place to get movies...great selection, but some films are on the pricey side.

BlissfulIgnorance
06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
you guys basically named all of them but i dont think i saw

Drunken Tai Chi----------------------4.5
Iron Monkey--------------------------4.5

Elaquent
06-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Drunken Tai Chi is tops...one of my favourite Yuen Woo Ping joints

MaShPG
06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
just watched a good version of Fearless with proper subtitles

9/10 - jets best period film next to fist of legend IMO
great Yuen Woo Ping choreography and plot.

thanks, you just convinced me to download it. it's supposed to come out in august by the way:

http://my.opera.com/VegaTheTerrible/homes/blog/273665.jpg

The legendary fighter, Huo Yuanjia, was born a feeble child but he has never been short of fighting spirit. Twenty years later, Yuanjia now runs his family’s martial arts school. As a teacher, the most important lesson Yuanjia teaches his students is the one that rules his life: All actions must uphold his family’s reputation. As a fighter, he yearns to become the Champion of Tianjin. Only one man stands in his way - a ruthless fighter called Qin Lei. One day, Yuanjia returns from a trip to find his apprentice brutally maimed by Qin Lei. Blind rage fills Yuanjia’s body as he issues a hostile challenge to Qin - a fight to the death. When the fight brings devastating tragedy, Yuanjia finds that he must abandon everything he once believed to be true. Escaping deep into the heart of China, Yuanjia discovers the real meaning of martial arts. What he does not know is that soon, he must face a battle that’s going to demand more spirit and courage than any he has ever known.

ShaDynasty
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
for shaolin-jackie, check out Shaolin Wooden Men. its my fav pre-Snake In the Eagles Shadow jackie film ive seen. jackie plays a mute and only has like 5 lines in the whole film!

www.hkflix.com is a good place to get movies...great selection, but some films are on the pricey side.
yo elaquent
my ban is up!
yay!

ima cop this movie

i got these films today:
young master
magnificent butcher
world of drunken master (by joseph kuo, lookin forward to this the most)

watched snake in the eagles shadow (5/5) this week
i thought it topped drunken master, but theyre both classics
ima need more yuen siu tien joints
hes the funniest guy ever!

Elaquent
06-08-2006, 12:24 AM
haha, glad to hear that man

"i got these films today:
young master
magnificent butcher
world of drunken master (by joseph kuo, lookin forward to this the most)"

out of those 3, world of drunken master is actually the weakest one. its not a bad film...but the story is pretty dull at times and quite confusing..but the fights are solid. not quite a classic, but a film worth seeing and owning i think. young master is a great film, Jackie's 3rd best oldskool film IMO, but which version did u get? if ur version features the old school english dub, just know that its HEAVILY cut...ie like 15 minutes cut. if u can, track down the Fox/Fortune Star dvd, its uncut. all of the fights have been cut in the oldskool english dub version..make sure u get the Fox disc if u dont already. Magnificent Butcher is easily the best of the 3 IMO...this is Sammo Hung's best film in terms of showcasing his skills...that man is agile like u wouldnt believe, and can do just about anything jackie and yuen biao can do..in addition to him and a stellar cast, its directed and co-choreographed by my man Yuen Woo Ping, so u can expect top notch fight scenes. i really liked the story too. ur definetely in for a treat with Young Master and Magnificent Butcher. World of Drunken Master is a fine film, i'd give it maybe 3.5...Young Master gets a 4.5 or a 5 from me, and Magnificent Butcher gets a 5.5 from me.

personally i liked Drunken Master more than Snake in the Eagles Shadow...for a number of reasons, but theyre both certifiable classics..both 5.5 films. Simon Yuen Siu Tien is real cool...if u liked him in Drunken Master..check out Dance of the Drunk Mantis..directed by his son, Yuen Woo Ping, starring his other son, Yuen Shun Yi, and it also features Hwang Jang Lee in an awesome villain role, Corey Yuen Kwai in a rare acting role, and Yen Shi Kwan. fight scenes top Drunken Master, and i think its a fantastic film..one of my fav YWP joints. no jackie tho...its actually Yuen Woo Ping's Drunken Master sequel...but no Jackie/Wong Fei Hung this time around.

anyways, for more Yuen Siu Tien, check out Dance of the Drunk Mantis and Sleeping Fist (starring Leung Kar Yan).

100pr00f
06-08-2006, 02:37 PM
haha i liked sleeping fist

it was in the wutang collection

ShaDynasty
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
haha i liked sleeping fist

it was in the wutang collection
whats it about?

im gettin frusty at the moment, cos i bought like 15 dvds off this guy on ebay, that was 2 weeks ago, im sure hell come through but im mad impatient

what did yall think of 'ol dirty kung fu' this is the first jiznoint i saw with yuen siu tien, id give it 4.3/5

100pr00f
06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
sleeping fist is something like drunkken style ..just that he is sleepy falling down into thier fist attacking the othe guy

has that same guy fron drunken master
the one with the red nose

haha
its a ok flick..
i liked it..cus i like the main guy

i gave it a 4

ShaDynasty
06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
World Of Drunken Master - 4/5
i thought it was great, the cast of mystery of chessboxing including Ghostfaced Killer, some dope, but standard fighting
and a decent plot about 2 kung fu masters avenging their master 30 years after his death
joseph kuo is a legend

also, i was surprised that its sampled on one of my favorite songs KMD's 'Sweet Premium Wine'
anyone into KMD?

100pr00f
06-10-2006, 10:25 PM
just got 4 new flicks

bells of death
7 man army
death chamber..aka shaolin temple
dragon fight...jet li

update....dragon fight

the last in my jet collection now i have all

it was a good flick
2 langs..eng and chinese
story was ok ...the presnt time in the movie was the 80's...some good fight sceans. a real young jet li fighting ..the fights were pretty good reminded me of shalion temple the jet li version

hah

i gave it a 4...since im a big jet fan

peace

100pr00f
06-10-2006, 10:27 PM
damn never mind still got one more..its his weakest one so i heard..melt down

the only jet flick i dont have...yet

haha

peace

Elaquent
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
meltdown aka = High Risk

Wong Jing directed it, so be warned....the fight scenes are pretty good (choreographed by Corey Yuen), but there are too few of them. be warned, this really is more of a Jackie Cheung film...this film is actually Wong Jing's cheapshot/jab at Jackie Chan after the two had a falling out on the set of City Hunter. they make fun of Jackie quite a bit in the film. gets no higher than a 3/5 from me. i dont think its as bad as Dr. Wai, but its one of his weaker films for sure.

Sleeping Fist is a good flick...very Drunken Master inspired. Leung Kar Yan is awesome as usual.

i'd give World of Drunken Master a 4...but ig ets MAD slow in the middle of the movie...almost fell asleep a few times. otherwise, its solid. because of that, im droppin the score to 3.5

Dragon Fight is solid...probably one of the last time in Jet Li did his own stunts in his career b4 he fucked up his back and started using stunt doubles for everything. good 80s kickboxing film.

7 man army is a solid WW2 flick, and shaolin temple is pretty good if u like 5 shaolin masters. i hear bells of death is an amazing late 60s/early 70s wuxia flick.

ShaDynasty
06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
YEAH IMA COP 'BELLS OF DEATH'
Young Master gets 3.5/5 i respect that jackie put the whole film together hisself, but choreography wasn't great imo, story was aiight, some parts were very funny, certainly not as good as drunken master or snake in the eagles shadow

Magnificent Butcher - 4.5/5
in relation to Prodigal Son, its not as good
its better than kung fu master tho, and overall a very nice film with some fun training scenes and bits of humorous dialogue
the fighting was classic shit
def one to watch again

aiyyo elaquent, you never post on the other forums, how come?

ERN-DAWGY
06-11-2006, 07:55 PM
one of my fav's is INCREDIBLE KUNG-FU MASTER must see this shit its wicked

Elaquent
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
"Young Master gets 3.5/5 i respect that jackie put the whole film together hisself, but choreography wasn't great imo, story was aiight, some parts were very funny, certainly not as good as drunken master or snake in the eagles shadow"

did u see the uncut version? if u did, then u should know that ALL the fights are butchered quite a bit...im talkin minutes chopped off..especially the finale. if ur copy features the oldskool english dub..its heavily cut. i think that its not quite as good as his films with YWP (SITES and DM), but its almost there. the choreography is brilliant IMO, on par with the best of the best at the time.

to answer ur question, i post in the audio board sometimes...and a few topics in the movie board if ive seen them..i guess i should post around more often, but i guess i luv discussing kung fu films the most.

100pr00f
06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
update: bells of death

pretty dope flick..its a sword flick
some limbs falling off here and thier
the story is good..and the sword fights are good

wish it was a lil longer to show the training but never showd any tranning

its about a guy who comes home after work and finds his fam dead and one sister is kidnaped
so he go's out to find them but ends up finding a old guy killing off some guys and follows him to be his student
so it skips the training and go's strait to him finding the 3 guys who killed his fam....
in the act of finding the first guy he also revenges the death of this girls father who he just saved from a brothle,....witch killed her father ...
so she follows him throue out the flick
ends up killing the other guy in the next town
with a sword fight were a candle tip is ballenced on th sword

first to drop it throws down his sword,,,,haha

good guy wins ...

so he go's to another town finding the last guy but is clever cuz the guy is in jail so he kills 4 guys he over heard talking about the guy he is looking for is going to break out of jail so he kills them and ends up in jail with this guy
pretends to be his friend and excapes with him..at his place him and his sister meet but dont say any thing she runs off crying ..and now the bad guy knows somethings upo

so after killing about 100 guys he finaly kills his man but in the act the bad guy kills is remaining fam meber his sister
so now the good guy and the chick he saved run off and have a happy life

i giv this a 4.5

def a shaw brother feel to it
as it is a shaw flick made in the 60's
haha

peace

Elaquent
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
thx for the review 100P

just rewatched World of Drunken Master....still think the story is dull...and i wish the drunken fighters would appear more drunk-looking when they fight...but i gotta admit, i think i slept on the last 2 fights...shits are mad good...i'd give it a 3.8

100pr00f
06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
woud u conceder death chamber..aka shaolin temple a venoms flick...it ha s 3 venoms in it

ShaDynasty
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
A Better Tomorrow - 5/5
cop that shit
thats all

100pr00f
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
^^^^^ i got all 3 haha

update: death chamber aka shaolin temple

damn good movie all star cast.....lots of training parts...120 min worth of enertainment....lots of guys died that i didnt want to see die witch i like cuz i gives me feelings when watching a flick

the end fights were nice fights every were...first time i seen a flick were the bad guys take over ..but the good guys still get away ..but the temple is gone

i can see were the next one fits in

pretty dope flick

i give it a 5

ShaDynasty
06-12-2006, 04:46 PM
i cant imagine a better tomorrows sequels being better than the first, i mean marc had a twin brother?
then marc learning how to fight in vietnam? but this time no john woo?
ill most likely cop them anyway cos the first one impressed me so much
that joint is a fuckin keeper

Elaquent
06-12-2006, 10:18 PM
ABT2 had more/better action...but not as good in the story department. its definetely a trade off..definetely worth owning. the 3rd one, as expected is the weakest one...but its still not a bad film.

100pr00f
06-13-2006, 10:16 PM
update: 7 man army

prety phat flick alot of peeps die..and encluding all the main guys haha
clasic shaws

allstare cast once again
david chang...ti lung.. fu shenk.. gordon liu.. chen kuan..philop kwok..
beardy
haha

lots more

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/100pr00f/PDVD_000.jpg

ill give it a 4.5

100pr00f
06-13-2006, 10:19 PM
i got 200 kung fu flicks now haha

damn
thats money

Jet Set
06-14-2006, 05:02 AM
aybe you shoudl put the real names in there,
like 36th chamber of shaolin

fist of fury = big boss
chinese connection = fist of fury

Elaquent
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
jet set, i dont suppose ur a fan of the videogame jet set radio? one of my all time fav games...nice sig btw

rewatched SPL last nite...definete 4.5 out of 5...awesome story and above average fights...a couple more fights wouldve given it a 5 in my book...easily the finest HK film of last year.

100pr00f
06-14-2006, 02:15 PM
im waiting for spl to come here befor i get it haha
prob be next year

Elaquent
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
too bad...u may be waiting for quite a while...those Weinstein brothers take forever releasing these films...who knows if it will even be released next year or not...

its really a topnotch all around film. surprisingly, it was the stylish direction, story and acting that really won it for me...the action is definetely secondary, but whats there is very good. if uve got a good 5.1 surround sound setup, u'll be in for a treat...itll give ur system a good workout. teh score is brilliant.

ShaDynasty
06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
spl?

Elaquent
06-14-2006, 08:31 PM
SPL = Sha Po Lang (2005)

Starring Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Wu Jing, Sammo Hung
Action Director: Donnie Yen
Director: Wilson Yip

ShaDynasty
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
sounds good

Elaquent
06-16-2006, 12:06 PM
just watched One Armed Boxer for the first time, its a really good basher with lots of action..a realy good prequel to Master of the Flying Guillotine. theres TONS of action and a standard story. lots of interesting villains..Thai Boxers, Judo masters, karate masters, Yoga master (lol) and more. im pretty sure Jimmy Wang Yu looks more convincing fighting with one arm than he does with 2 lol

4/5

ShaDynasty
06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Raiders Of Shaolin Temple - 5/5
true classic
nice fighting and choreography, funny and memorable characters, good story and conclusion
i was surprised
definetly recomend it

Mars Villa - 2/5
not good at all
dont buy it
john liu is cool, but he cant make a bad plot and bad fights (YES REALLY!) good

abasi
06-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I've always like unbeatable dragon I think that's what is called and comet butterfly and sword

Elaquent
06-17-2006, 07:42 PM
i thought Mar's Villa was alright..i'd give it a 3.5...but thats biased, cuz im a HUGE john liu fan.

just watched Enter the Fat Dragon and Tower of Death, easily the 2 best bruceploitation films of all. Enter the Fat Dragon features Sammo's genious in this early film...the plot is fairly interesting...the comedy was actually hilarious IMO..i was laughin my nuts off quite a few times..the fights are very bruce lee-ish, but entertaining nonetheless...the finale is classic Shapes tho with my man Leung Kar Yan. 4/5 from me

Tower of Death aka Game of Death 2 was tops as well...mainly cuz of Yuen Woo Ping's fight choreography. its a silly ass film, with the annoying stock bruce lee footage editing (a la game of death, but not as bad), but the fight scenes are no laughing matter...theyre ILL!! the finale is just straight crazy, that Bruce Lee impersonator (Tang Lung) is tops! story was decent enough, altho kinda silly and Hwang Jang Lee made a badass villain...the finale is one of the best ive seen in a while. 4.3/5 based on entertainment...3/5 if u dont like a little sillyness in ur kung fu. Game of Death 2/Tower of Death > Game of Death > Enter the Dragon...yeah i sed it haha

Elaquent
06-19-2006, 10:24 PM
the challenger = 5.5
same cast and crew as one of my alltime favs, The Loot, its no surprise this film is of equal quality. Phillip Ko really stole the show in the The Loot, this time Norman Tsui Siu Keung steals the show...Phillip Ko is still on fire on this one, as is David Chiang. great plot and even better fights. mos def a classic

showdown at the cotton mill = 3.5
found this one to be average overall. the story was decent, but i must admit, much of the rating is due to the print...the imbedded subtitles were near impossible to read at times. fights were good overall, but i was kinda disappointed at the limited time Tan Tao Liang got on screen, and the finale wasnt as good as i was expecting. be that as it may, Tan and Chi Kuan Chun bust out some nice moves. slightly above average in my book.

ShaDynasty
06-20-2006, 06:28 AM
hitman in the hand of buddha - 3.8/5
enjoyable, bit of a lame storyline, but some good fights especially nearer the end, good to see hwang jang lee playin a good guy
alright basically

Buddhist Fist - 5/5
classic, need i say more?

Elaquent
06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
glad u liked Buddhist Fist...thats another one of my alltime favs. the finale is ACE.

hey 100proof, my copy of Bullet in the Head finally came in.

bob99digi
06-21-2006, 09:47 AM

let me know how that is after you watch it. I've been wanting to get that one for a long time now, but never have.

Seborth
06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I always liked kung fu movies.. my favs are Enter the Dragon, Master Killer, Kiss of the Dragon(thats not so much kung fu film but its great)

Elaquent
06-21-2006, 11:46 AM
word up bob99digi...im gonna watch it tonite, i'll let u kno the verdict.

ShaDynasty
06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
yo
i like john woo/chow yun fat
so should i cop 'once a thief'?
i dont know much about it
also bullet in the head sounds good
i might end up getting all woos flicks
i never read a bad review for one

100pr00f
06-21-2006, 04:49 PM
glad u liked Buddhist Fist...thats another one of my alltime favs. the finale is ACE.

nice....tell me how it is.....
ill give u my address when ever u feel like sending me it haha
but i wanna hear from u if it is worth having

peace

100pr00f
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
yo
i like john woo/chow yun fat
so should i cop 'once a thief'?
i dont know much about it

yea i liked it..gave it a 4.2 i think

ShaDynasty
06-21-2006, 04:55 PM
yea i liked it..gave it a 4.2 i think
cool
woo is a legend
ive got these flicks to watch:
5 fingers of death
8 masters
18 bronzemen
return of the 18 bronzemen
thundering mantis

Elaquent
06-21-2006, 06:46 PM
5 fingers of death is a classic basher...thundering mantis is pretty cool too if u like Leung Kar Yan.

MaShPG
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Yo I just watched Kid With The Golden Arms that shit was good as hell. I don't watch many old kung fu movies, but out of the ones I've seen this one had the best fight scenes. Definitely some very impressive and talented fighting going on in this flick. The story was pretty good too. Now I know where 100proof got his sig from. I don't get why it was named after Golden Arms instead of Hai Tou; it was more about him. He was definitely a gangsta character. Overall, dope movie! I agree with your 5.5 rating.

I'm leaving for China this Saturday and I'll stay there for two weeks. More information on it in General Chat tomorrow, but it should be a great trip. I'm going to the Shaolin Temples too! I'll take pictures for ya'll. Peace.

Bloo
06-22-2006, 01:45 AM
It's been so long since I've seen a kung fu flick. I think the last one I saw was 5 Deadly Venoms like 3 years ago.

Elaquent
06-22-2006, 11:23 AM
hey bob99digi/100proof, i watched Bullet in the Head last night.

Bullet in the Head = John Woo's best all around movie. Tony Leung and Simon Yam are cool as ice in this one...some sick gunplay and even a bit of basic MA too. story is really engaging about 3 friends who got dreams of makin it rich...until greed consumes one of them. wont give it away. direction is super slick as expected from woo..hardboiled has better action, but the acting, story, etc are all a step above. 5.5 for sure.

100proof, when i get a copy of it burned i'll msg u for ur address.

bob99digi
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM

Bullet in the Head = John Woo's best all around movie. Tony Leung and Simon Yam are cool as ice in this one...some sick gunplay and even a bit of basic MA too. story is really engaging about 3 friends who got dreams of makin it rich...until greed consumes one of them. wont give it away. direction is super slick as expected from woo..hardboiled has better action, but the acting, story, etc are all a step above. 5.5 for sure.

dammit, i was hoping you would say its garbage so I wouldn't be mad that I don't have the movie, lol.

Hard Boiled still my fav Woo flick. The killer is my movie too, like it a lot. I haven't even seen any of the better tomorrows though, which is strange due to all the movies i've watched and seen.

Have you seen "City on Fire"? John Woo joint. I think you said you did?

Once a Thief - damn i recently (6 months ago) bought this and watched it. I can't really even remember it right now, but my impression left in my head is that it was ok, not my favorite Woo flick, but not bad either, more like an average Woo flick. I'll throw it in and jog my memory.

Skellington
06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Any of y'all watched the "Swordsman" movies??? There's three of'm.
First one stars Jackie Cheung, second jet Li and Brigitte Lin, third Brigitte Lin and Eddy Ko.

Sick ass trilogy, great swordplay, and funny aswell.
The third wasn't funny no more tho.

And...to be honest I liked the second one the most (and normally I don't like sequels that much), but Swordsman II is just...great.

100pr00f
06-22-2006, 02:50 PM

nice ..i cant wait

haha

thanks

100pr00f
06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Any of y'all watched the "Swordsman" movies??? There's three of'm.
First one stars Jackie Cheung, second jet Li and Brigitte Lin, third Brigitte Lin and Eddy Ko.

Sick ass trilogy, great swordplay, and funny aswell.
The third wasn't funny no more tho.

And...to be honest I liked the second one the most (and normally I don't like sequels that much), but Swordsman II is just...great.

i got the 2nd one its a ok flick
im a big jet fan so it was a ok flick cuz i like jt more in the real type fights like fist of legend

but i did give the swordsmen 2 a good # haha
just some parts u can see the strings holden him up at the end

Elaquent
06-22-2006, 04:35 PM
"Have you seen "City on Fire"? John Woo joint. I think you said you did?"

City on Fire = not a John Woo flick. its directed by Ringo Lam. if u like Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino) you'll like this film. Chow Yun Fat is cool as always.

"Any of y'all watched the "Swordsman" movies???"

ive only seen the 2nd one...like 100proof im a huge Jet fan so it really swayed my opinion of it, but i swordplay flix really arent my style. not a film i would watch twice. its ok tho. but great if ur a swordplay/wuxia fan.

yeah i was very impressed with bullet in the head, all john woo fans owe it to themselves to see it. hardboiled is still my fav john woo film tho.
hey bob99digi, if u want a dvdr copy of Bullet In The Head too, just let me know.

MaShPG
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
my trip to China: http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21450

My trip to Shaolin:

DAY 11 (Luoyang/Shaolin)
Drive to Dengfeng, a small town near the gates of Shaolin Temple. Spend most of the day at Shaolin Temple. This is the place where Buddhists first developed the martial arts known to many as 'kungfu' and from which exercises known as 'taijichuan' were derived.

bob99digi
06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
hey bob99digi, if u want a dvdr copy of Bullet In The Head too, just let me know.

yea i think i might take you up on that offer. I guess just let me know after you get it copied to dvdr.

City on fire - lol, sometimes i can't remember if a movie is chow yun fat, John woo, or both.

I need to go pick up "a better tomorrow".

Elaquent
06-23-2006, 11:12 AM
no doubt. u wanna make it a trade? dont kno if u can copy dvdrs where ur at...but if u can i'll pick somethin off ur list and trade...if thats cool wit u..

Skellington
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
i got the 2nd one its a ok flick
im a big jet fan so it was a ok flick cuz i like jt more in the real type fights like fist of legend

but i did give the swordsmen 2 a good # haha
just some parts u can see the strings holden him up at the end

Yeah me 2, I'm feelin' the real animal style based kung fu movies.
Jet's dope, not my favorite tho, Sammo Hung's my kinda guy and Jackie Chan :)

But I just love Brigitte Lin, one of the main reasons I copped this trilogy AND Jackie Cheung ofcourse funny lil' dude :)

"Swordsman III" isn't really a swordplay movie no, but it's quite allright tho, good sequel to swordsman II.

Kong
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
anyone seen iron monkey (not the old skool one)?

its good.

100pr00f
06-23-2006, 03:21 PM
the donnie yen one...yes ,..pretty dope

Elaquent
06-24-2006, 01:48 PM
heres a gift for u 100proof...not sure if uve seen Legend of a Fighter yet, but heres the first fight scene in the movie with phillip ko fei:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dCEdPpm2qU

trust me, it only gets better from there.

num2son
06-24-2006, 09:51 PM
^^Thanks

100pr00f
06-25-2006, 10:34 AM
nice....yea ..i cant find this flick at all

i really want this

Elaquent
06-25-2006, 11:51 AM
if i can manage to get Bullet in the Head burned, i'll make sure to get Legend of a Fighter burned too..i'll trade u both dvdrs for a dvdr copy of Dragon Fight (jet li)...if thas cool wit u..

Elaquent
06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
oh, and the reason u cant find it is cuz theres only 1 release of the film...the Hong Kong Legends (UK) version wich is R2 and not available for sale in US..and theres an old out of print vhs under the alternate title "Secret Master" i think..but the HKL is really the one to get. the disc has some nice extras (interviews with leung kar yan and yuen woo ping) a trailer containing rare footage of the deleted scenes, and of course, the film english dubbed or cantonese/subtitled. thats the copy i got..but most importatnly...its WIDESCREEN!!

ShaDynasty
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
8 masters - 4/5
good flick, nice bit of shaolin action, the fights were good but the picture quality stopped me from fully enjoying them
the final fight was good it lasted for about a half hour
was it carter wong in the main role?
the story and atmosphere were good cant be assed to explain
id recomend it though
im lookin forward to watchin the 2 sequels

100pr00f
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
if i can manage to get Bullet in the Head burned, i'll make sure to get Legend of a Fighter burned too..i'll trade u both dvdrs for a dvdr copy of Dragon Fight (jet li)...if thas cool wit u..

cool no prob

cant wait

ima try and see if i can learn the dvd burning stuff haha never did it yet

should be easy just copying it

peace

tacle
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Man, i need to start coping kung fu classics man.

Yo, 100proof, any suggestions?

ShaDynasty
06-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Man, i need to start coping kung fu classics man.

Yo, 100proof, any suggestions?
what?
you lookin for classics?
see the first page theyre all rated
have you got any kung fu flicks or you wanna start a collection?
i started mines with 'Shaolin & Wu-Tang'

Elaquent
06-25-2006, 06:16 PM
i started my collection with bruce lee films and tehn drunken master

wu masta killer, i havent seen 8 masters yet..aint that a joseph kuo film?

just rewatched South Shaolin Master...that shits an ez 4.5 or possibly 5...easily the best mainland chinese oldskool kung fu film around (this film shits all over jet li's shaolin temple films)...awesome fights, good story, and awesome cinematography...i kno its weird mentioning that in a kung fu film, but since it was shot in mainland china instead of hk studios and taiwan, it has a completely different look and feel...thats y jet's oldskool films dont look and feel like verything else at teh time..

100pr00f
06-25-2006, 09:47 PM
^^^ agree...phat flick...yes just check the front page...
son

over 200 rated flicks first post...most peeps would agree..on some is just personle tast..haha

if i have time ill try and put a top 10 or 20 list to get flicks

put thats alot of thinkg cuz al;otta good flicks to pick from

haha

peace

Elaquent
06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
yeah 100proof's ratings on the 1st page are proper from my viewpoint..a couple films i woulda rated higher/lower, but hes got the gyst of it...im gonna try and put my top 10 or 20 sometime soon.

ShaDynasty
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
8 masters is by joseph kuo, its like a prequel to 18 bronzemen, with carter wong in a different role, theres a similar story, but 18 bronzemen has a pretty linear plot, in comparison so it gets 3/5
8 masters is a lot better for story, fights everything
hopefully return of the 18 bronzemen is better
heres my top ten at the moment (no order):
1. Five Deadly Venoms
2. 36th Chamber Of Shaolin
3. Masked Avengers
4. Kid With The Golden Arms
5. Prodigal Son
6. Shaolin Vs Lama
7. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
8. Snake In The Eagles Shadow
9. 7 Grand Masters
10. Born Invincible

Elaquent
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
my top 10 oldskool kung fu films as of right now (in no particular order)

1. The Victim
2. Buddhist Fist
3. Martial Club
4. The Loot
5. The Challenger
6. Dirty Ho
7. 7 Grandmasters
8. Drunken Master
9. Ninja in the Dragons Den
10. Legend of a Fighter

top 10 post oldskool martial arts flix as of right now (in no particular order)

1. Police Story
2. Righting Wrongs
3. My Father is a Hero
4. Danny the Dog aka Unleashed
5. Pedicab Driver
6. Iron Monkey
7. Fist of Legend
8. Drunken Master 2
9. Death Games
10. Tiger Cage 2

yeahduderad
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
i dont own to many kung-fu/martial arts DVD's, maybe like 17/18(to lazy to list them)...but there is one that i own that you all need to watch...
"The Master of the Flying Guillotine" - GO WATCH IT NOW, ONE OF THE BEST MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES EVER!

Elaquent
06-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Master of the Flying Guillotine is a certified classic. top notch film on all counts. if ur a big fan of that movie, i recommend checking out One-Armed Boxer..which is a prequel that came out in 73 i think (3 years before Master of the Flying Guillotine). remember that one scene in master of the flying guillotine where it goes into a flashback of Jimmy Wang Yu killing those two lamas (which turn out to be the blind man's students)? well that footage is from One Armed Boxer.

yeahduderad
06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
yeah, i knew there was a prequel just wasnt sure what it was called. and i searched one-armed boxer on amazon.com and couldnt find out, ill find it though, anxious to see it now

EDIT : nevermind i found it online - tell me if its the right one, heres the link - http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.533234/qx/details.htm

Elaquent
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
thats the one. heres a trailer for One Armed Boxer btw:

http://www.shaolinchamber.com/video_files/TRAILERS/one_armed_boxer-trailer.wmv

enjoy

yeahduderad
06-28-2006, 11:52 PM
i did enjoy that, thanks yo, and ill have to order the DVD from that site whenever i get a little spending money

supremecharma
06-29-2006, 01:59 AM
ong bak man, thats a fuckin good flick

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :king:

Elaquent
06-29-2006, 12:19 PM
just watched a couple of punch and block/basher flicks last night

Hapkido aka Lady Kung Fu (1972 or 1973) stars Angela Mao Ying, Carter Wong and Sammo Hung...this flick is awesome. if u liked When Tae Kwon Do Strikes aka Sting of the Dragon Master, theres no reason y u wouldnt like Hapkido. lots of familiar faces in there, the fights, for the time, were exceptional...even in the early days, Sammo's fight choreography was still tight. good, simple plot regarding school rivalries..this one gets a 4.5 from me

Bloody Fists stars Chen Sing, Chen Kuan Tai, and Henry Yu Yung this 1972 basher directed by Ng See Yuen. the plot is solid, altho some parts of the film drag on quite a bit. the fight choreography, courtesy of the legendary Yuen Woo Ping (his 2nd official credit as fight director) is pretty good, altho hes outdone himself on other films during this period. chen kuan tai is a badass villain, but sadly doesnt get to fight until the very end. good story, and good fights (theres actually a fight which includes Yuen Woo Ping himself!!) make this a pretty good flick. i'd give it a 3.8 or maybe a 4.

100pr00f
06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
i was looking in to getting hapkido one day just didnt see any reviews..so i migt go and pick it up haha

thanks

peace

eVoL
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00005JKXE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056691984_.jpg

ShaDynasty
06-29-2006, 05:34 PM
return of the 18 bronzemen - 3.5/5
the bronzemen trilogy is very disapointing
this is better than the 2nd film, the fights are good, but the story is stupid
the main character is not easy to like
carter wongs a manchu who learns at shaolin
they find out hes a emperor or sumthin and he gets kicked out
then at the end he orders attack on shaolin!
i never seen a film where the bad guy is centre to the film and is dislikable like that
i need some more recomendations

Elaquent
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
hey wu masta killa...check out The Heroes aka Wu Tang Clan...the film is centered around Ti Lung as hes the main protagonist...AND antagonist..he plays a manchu who burns down the shaolin temple and imprisons all of the students there...really really interesting twist...which some kickass Robert Tai choreography.

i saw one of the 18 bronzemen films a long time ago, but i dont remember it very well...i remmber thinking that it was solid.

on a side note, Kung Pow licks balls IMO and is an insult to classic martial arts cinema. for whoevers interested, check out Savage Killers aka Tiger and Crane (i think thats the aka name) starring Jimmy Wang Yu and Lau Kar Wing. this is the original film which Kung Pow borrowed footage from to use in Kung Pow...its a solid film.

ShaDynasty
07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
thundering mantis - 5/5
this shit is dope
everything - story, fights, even the acting and dubbing are note perfect
elaquent has yung cha yeh made any other films of this calibre?
i was checkin imdb and couldnt believe their reviews
i mean this aint wack or mediocre, its classic

Elaquent
07-02-2006, 08:23 AM
meh, i thought thundering mantis was slightly slighty above average...aside from the finale where Beardy just goes bonkers, i thought it was kinda dull and slow at times...solid fights, avg story..personally, i found Sleeping Fist more enjoyable, i'd give thundering mantis a 3.5/5

from the research ive done, the only other Yung Cha Yeh classic kung fu movie hes directed is Sleeping Fist. if u havent seen sleeping fist already, make sure u check it out, i'd give sleeping fist a 3.8 or 4

ShaDynasty
07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
aiight
well that mantis shit is dope imo the acting was surprisingly good, but ill admit the fights were nothing special, standard shit really but still good, but ill have to check out sleeping fist and the heroes soon
i got warriors 2 comin in the post as well
lookin forward to this film

Elaquent
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Sleeping Fist is dope...good old Sam Seed/Yuen Siu Tien stars in it too as, surprise, surprise, a bum lol. fights are a little more creative..story and acting are essentially the same, since it stars pretty much the same cast and crew and director.

warriors two coming in? ur mos def in for a treat, that film, even tho i still believe is overrated, is still a great flick and mos def a classic. prodigal son is actually a loose prequel to this film..its sammo's first Wing Chun movie. the finale is ace, Casanova Wong is real dope. as usual, Sammo Hung himself steals the show. Leung Kar Yan's acting is ace, as he plays Leung Tsan. 4.5/5.5 for me.

Elaquent
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
heres a gift to all the kung fu fanatics out there

Mystery of Chessboxing clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAwVzS-jICo

dont worry, its only the opening scene...it gets MUCH better from there :)

ShaDynasty
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
thats a nice clip
classic film, makes me wanna watch it again

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM

thanks man!
what yall think about 8 Diagram Polefighter?

ShaDynasty
07-06-2006, 06:21 AM
^^^classic film
8 diagram pole fighter is one of my favorite films of all time

Elaquent
07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
8 diagram pole fighter IMO = overrated

good film no doubt, but there wasnt anything about it that blew me away...Liu Chia Liang has made many superior films...id give it no higher than a 4/5...but thats just me...

ShaDynasty
07-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Shaolin Intruders - 4/5
pleasant surprise, knew nothing about it, theres no info on imdb
its really quite dope, nice choreography and cool flying through the air shit
its shaw brothers produced but fuck knows who the actors were
only one i recognized was the bald head dude whos in tons of flicks
the story was decent enough about a traitor girl whos father is a shaolin monk
her 2 friends try to solve the mystery about who killed the cops, uhh cant be assed to explain it, but its worth seeing if you like shaolin kung fu

Elaquent
07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
shaolin intruders is one of the few films directed by SB's 2nd most prolific choreographer (behind Lau Kar Leung), Tong Gaai aka Tang Chia. if u liked shaolin intruders, u should check out Shaolin Prince.

ShaDynasty
07-07-2006, 07:03 PM
thanks man, i might check it out
you like shaolin intruders?

Elaquent
07-07-2006, 07:35 PM
i havent finished watching it...i saw bits of it....kinda weird seeing wirework in an oldskool flick...its creative i guess...but i did like the little i saw of it..i just skimmed thru it.

ShaDynasty
07-07-2006, 08:51 PM
well its good imo
so is 'mad monkey kung fu' that gets 4.5/5 good story and fights
nice flick

Hollow Dartz
07-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Ayo I was watching Super Chinese Ninjas and I wanted to ask you all a question...Do you think he shouldve killed the girl?

num2son
07-08-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks ^O^

Elaquent
07-08-2006, 12:47 PM
i actually found Mad Monkey Kung Fu to be pretty overrated...that film gets no higher than a 4 from me...probably woulda liked it more, but for some reason, it seems taht EVERY movie Hsiao Ho is in, hes the world's most annoying character. the kid has skills tho. by Lau Kar Leung standards, it was pretty conventional, and nothing aside from the finale really stood out to me. still a good flick, a solid 4/5, i just dont think its amazing or nothin.

num2son
07-08-2006, 02:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_uf_P2H4dA&mode=related&search=

100pr00f
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
been some time since i posted

put i still watched a shit load more flicks..but didnt update..witch i just did

just wached a better 2marrow 3

not that great..gave it a 3.4

others i watched..u can check front page for ratting

brave archer 2-4
dirty tiger, crazy frog....sammo hung
super power.....billy chong
deadly duo....david chiang, ti lung
the heroic ones....david chiang, ti lung
3 evil masters.....pretty good flick

i got ninja in the dragons den...need to watch it still haha

peace

ShaDynasty
07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
^^^i thought 3 evil masters was dope
5/5 for me

deadly duo?
by chang cheh?

100pr00f
07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
yes...shaw brother film

100pr00f
07-10-2006, 07:37 PM
^^^i thought 3 evil masters was dope
5/5 for me

same for me

pretty dope ..it was a new face

as a hero......that did it for me

he was pretty good too
for a kid

haha

peace

Hollow Dartz
07-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Ayo I was watching Super Chinese Ninjas and I wanted to ask you all a question...Do you think he shouldve killed the girl?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

ShaDynasty
07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
^^^haha
i saw this post yesterday
cant remember the film unfortunately

just watched 'Dirty Ho' with gordon liu and yue wong (who i now want to see more of)
id give it 4.5/5
really good for comedy/atmosphere/kung fu but the ending was a bit of a ?
still, good film and very entertaining
recomended

Elaquent
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
ninja in the dragons den is one of my fav films..3 evil masters is tops too.

ShaDynasty
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
shaolin prince is dope (4/5)
not amazing but entertaining
enough ideas and fights to keep it going, 2 great heroes and a great bad guy

Elaquent
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
"same for me

pretty dope ..it was a new face

as a hero......that did it for me

he was pretty good too
for a kid"

Dirty Ho is one of my top 3 fav LKL flix

thats Yuen Tak...he went to the same school as jackie and sammo and yuen biao...he rolls with Corey Yuen's stuntcrew.

100pr00f
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
update ninja in the dragons den

pretty dope flick i give a 5.5

story is great and heads are bing choped haha
and ears
the whole ninja thing was pretty dope..gonna have to get some more ninja type flicks

this movie makes me wanna watch it another time

peace

TAURO
07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah I've got that movie it's great, I love the cheesy music on the intro, plus they Idea of a kung fu master vs a ninja is great.

100pr00f
07-13-2006, 09:28 AM
yea i like the dubbin too its funny

bob99digi
07-13-2006, 02:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

hell yea she deserved to be killed. She was a sheisty as hell. She got his man killed. He had to kill her.

ShaDynasty
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
hell yea she deserved to be killed. She was a sheisty as hell. She got his man killed. He had to kill her.
i remember it now
she was quite fine tho
i woulda done the wild thing with her first tho
chinese supa ninjas is dope

tacle
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Did you people get into Kung Fu flicks cause of hearin' Wu-Tang?

100pr00f
07-13-2006, 03:55 PM
naw
cuz of what jackie and jet braught over..so jet was the one for me then started to get into the older shit after i saw 5 deadly venoms

Elaquent
07-15-2006, 05:56 PM
bruce lee got me into the genre as a whole...but wu tang def had an influence.
100proof, glad u liked ninja in the dragons den, thats really a classic...and the funniest dubbing ive ever heard. that fight on stilts was off the chains.
if ur looking for more ninja flix of that quality, unfortunately u wont find very many....try Shaolin vs Ninja, that flick is alright..

100pr00f
07-15-2006, 07:47 PM
fo sho

also was looing at the venems flick ninja in the deqadly trap havnt seen that yet
i seen super ninjas
haha

yea the dubbing was great
it had story too
the ending is cool

were the guy cant et hut by wepons but the ninja just slices his arm off

and every one just looks at eachother

lol

peace

Elaquent
07-15-2006, 08:04 PM
does anyone here like those japanese sonny chiba flix like the Street Fighter films or Executioner? those flix are jokes i tell ya...so gory..in fact, i think i'll watch Return of the Street Figther tonite.

100pr00f
07-15-2006, 10:45 PM
naw..ima start collecting his stuff soon

is his shit any good

ShaDynasty
07-16-2006, 09:08 AM
i was thinkin bout coppin some sonny cheeba, but ive got like 10 films which i havent watched yet, so ima watch em before i cop anything else

i got 7 man army and boxer rebellion
any gd?

100pr00f
07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
7 man army is good

i like it
a lil gore
some kunk fu

but its the story u watch for
not bad flick

peace

Hollow Dartz
07-16-2006, 12:10 PM

true but she was startin to change for him. but still she shouldnt of landed the first blow.

Elaquent
07-16-2006, 01:15 PM
7 man army is alright. like 100p sed, its more story based..but a good film nonetheless.

as for sonny chiba..if u take his films for what they are, and remember than they are japanese karate movies and NOT chinese kung fu flix, then theres no reason y shouldnt enjoy them. the fight choreography is really rugged and sloppy (most of his most popular films came out 1973-76), and they are really gory...for its time. trivia tidbit...Sonny Chiba's The Street Fighter was the first film in the US to get an X rating for violence alone! tame by todays standards, but damn fun to watch. crazy gore and blood. Street Fighter is extremely easy to find, and inexpensive, so u should try the first one out and see if u enjoy it. theyre lots of fun.

ShaDynasty
07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
7 man army is alright. like 100p sed, its more story based..but a good film nonetheless.

as for sonny chiba..if u take his films for what they are, and remember than they are japanese karate movies and NOT chinese kung fu flix, then theres no reason y shouldnt enjoy them. the fight choreography is really rugged and sloppy (most of his most popular films came out 1973-76), and they are really gory...for its time. trivia tidbit...Sonny Chiba's The Street Fighter was the first film in the US to get an X rating for violence alone! tame by todays standards, but damn fun to watch. crazy gore and blood. Street Fighter is extremely easy to find, and inexpensive, so u should try the first one out and see if u enjoy it. theyre lots of fun.
dubbed or subtitled?

no-one seen boxer rebellion
what about 5 super fighters and boxer from the temple
i got these im thinkin theyre gonna be good

100pr00f
07-16-2006, 07:29 PM
naw never heard of the 2nd one but did hear about boxer's rebellion
havent seen it..so hit this up tell us what u think of the flick

also i was thinking about getting the street fighter pack
with all 3 flicks along with sister street fighter lol
its like 20 bills for 4 flicks ..not to bad
also better quilty then most brands

peace

Elaquent
07-16-2006, 11:15 PM
the copy of 7 man army i saw was subtitled.

look around 100p...my copy contains Street Fighter, Sister Street Fighter and Street Fighter's Last Revenge for like 8 bux. u can find these flix in most bargain bins. but as it stands, 20 bux for 4 films is far from bad.

ShaDynasty
07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Warriors Two - 4.3/5
really good film, the story isnt incredible by any means, but it serves its purpose, and samo is mad cool in the joint, theres some really cool bad guys and the fights/choreography are astounding. if there was better music and acting in it then it would get a 5

Elaquent
07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
yup, its a classic for sure. hated how Leung Tsan went out tho...

SixOneTrey
07-20-2006, 03:09 AM
For anybody interested (and i'm not sure if this was mentioned before) in picking up some cheap kung fu movies, Wal-Mart has been selling these $1.00 DVDs on a rack in their stores. I sifted through the racks and found a SHITLOAD of Kung Fu flicks. I got a bunch of Sonny Chiba, Bruce Lee, Bruce Li, Jackie Chan, Jimmy Wang Yu, Jet Li, etc...The DVD's usually have 2 movies on them each, sometimes only one. My only problem with these DVDs is they are just the english dubbed versions. You don't get the option of listening to them in Cantonese/Japanese and reading the subtitles, but they are still fun to watch.

For only a dollar, i'd go pick up a bunch and check out some old school kung fu shit. Not all of the titles are really good, but there were quite a few that I have enjoyed. I bought like 30 of them when I was there, and I will probably go back and see if they have any more I didn't get while looking through the racks.

Kung Fu flicks are usually cheap anywhere you go. I've got a ton at Pawn Shops for real cheap as well.

The latest movie I watched was Blood Of The Dragon with Jimmy Wang Yu and I enjoyed it alot. Very dope movie for what it is, and the year it was made.

And for the person who asked if we had gotten into Kung Fu movies because of the Wu-Tang Clan, personally I can say no. I was watching Bruce Lee flicks back in the later 80s and early 90s and have loved Kung Fu movies since I was a little kid. I can't speak for everyone on the forum though, but that's just me.

ShaDynasty
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM
yup, its a classic for sure. hated how Leung Tsan went out tho...
leung tsan?

anyways i got into kung fu movies though listening to the wu, after hearin all the samples i just got curious
i been a fan of scarface for years, i figured if they sampled that they must have good taste
im glad i got into it, its definetly my favorite movie genre

100pr00f
07-20-2006, 05:27 PM
got a few flicks

shaolin martial arts...shaws
7 blows of the dragon aka water margin..ti lung
blade of fury..sammo hung
pedicab driver 2 disic edition..i have the eng dub/ or the og lang
crouching tiger hidden dragon
kagemusha......samurai...said to be the best of all samurai flicks

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-21-2006, 02:59 PM
got a few flicks

shaolin martial arts...shaws
kagemusha......samurai...said to be the best of all samurai flicks

Let me know how Kagemusha is; looks excellent.

Elaquent
07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
"shaolin martial arts...shaws
kagemusha......samurai...said to be the best of all samurai flicks"

blade of fury didnt do it for me...enjoy pedicab, theres not much action, but the action there is unbelievable ie Sammo Hung vs the legendary Lau Kar Leung. finale is great too. crouching tiger is great..one of the few wuxia movies i really like.

kagemusha...sed to be better than Seven Samurai? may have to check this out.

review update: just got these films:
Dragon Fight
Wing Chun
Shaolin Mantis
Plook 1 (old school thai flick)
Hero (Corey Yuen, not the Zhang Yimou)

dragon fight was good...the action was solid...a bit disappointing, i was expecting more....needs a bit more action, but the finale was good. id give it a 3.8..Wing Chun is a wire-fu classic in the tradition of Iron Monkey...great fights and entertaining story. that gets a 4.3 from me..Shaolin Mantis is better than i remembered...unique twist on a typical storyline, but the ending was wtf?! im a big David Chiang fan, so maybe its a little biased. great fights as expected from LKL, but highly fictional in its legend of mantis fist. i give it a 4
Plook 1 is an awesome flick from Panna Rittikrai (choreographer of Ong Bak, Tom Yum Goong), made at around 1981 im guessing...no subtitles, so i cant tell yall about the plot, but the action is tops...AMAZING stuntwork for the time and good choreography. i'd watch it over ong bak anyday. 4.5 for me..

finally checked out Hero starring Yuen Biao and some japanese dude..(1998), its actually produced by Shaw Brothers in 1998, and its also a remake of Chang Cheh's classic Boxer from Shantung. Corey Yuen's remake is very faithful, and entertaining to watch. the action really caught me offguard, im a big fan of Corey's action, but this film really impressed me. great fights with a great plot. this film kinda went under the radar. gets a solid 4 from me. also stars Yuen Wah (KF Hustle)

100pr00f
07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
"kagemusha...sed to be better than Seven Samurai? may have to check this out."

never mind..it was a diff flick that starts with h...haha
its a shorter name but this film supose to be better then ran
witch was a decent film
ill get the name of the other flick that starts with a h later

haha

got done watching pedicab driver
it was good
fights were ok
just its funny to watch him kick cuz he cant kick high
but the thig with this flick they speed the fight sceans up a lil

but the end fight was good

story was good

i gave it a 4.8

ShaDynasty
07-22-2006, 02:28 PM
im just about to watch drunken master 2
this posed to be better than the first

edit:
watched it now
fuckin great, the fights and choreography were somethin else
surprisingly good storyline and humor too
gets a classic 5/5 rating easy

its not a direct sequel to drunken master i think tho
there was no trains or british embassy in the first one, so im assuming theres like 100/200 years different yes?

Elaquent
07-23-2006, 01:38 PM
the "official" sequel to Drunken Master is actually Dance of the Drunk Mantis (1979). directed by Yuen Woo Ping, starring Yuen Shun Yi, Yuen Siu Tien, Corey Yuen Kwai, and Hwang Jang Lee. basically the same cast and crew from Drunken Master 1 minus Jackie. however this sequel is every bit as good as the original..better action, better than avg story, etc. Drunken Master 2 (94) is a very loose sequel, in the fact that the 2 films do not relate story-wise, and like u sed, they take place in 2 completely different settings. the only thing in common is Jackie Chan, and if u watch closely, many of the drunken techniques are the same ones as in the original.

in any event, Drunken Master 2 is a certifiable classic film, and one of the best films of the 90s, and one of the best kf flix of all time. that films an easy 5.5. personally i prefer the original one more, but theres some bias there. make sure u check out Dance of the Drunk Mantis if u havent already done so.

ShaDynasty
07-23-2006, 07:25 PM
^^^will do

i checked out your myspace the other day
you got some dope beats son

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-23-2006, 07:31 PM
"kagemusha...sed to be better than Seven Samurai? may have to check this out."

never mind..it was a diff flick that starts with h...haha
its a shorter name but this film supose to be better then ran
witch was a decent film
ill get the name of the other flick that starts with a h later

haha

was it Hidden Fortress? thats a classic flick, it influenced Star Wars and many other films.
Now I wanna check out Kagemusha though!

Elaquent
07-23-2006, 11:19 PM
"i checked out your myspace the other day
you got some dope beats son"

hey, thanx fam, on the real, i really appreciate the kind words...really means a lot to me. do u got a myspace page? if so, lemme kno and i'll add u on.

oh btw, as for Dance of the Drunk Mantis, i'd give that flick a 4.5 or a 5 for sure. i'll link yall with a clip...

Hwang Jang Lee and Yuen Siu Tien Drinking Wine Together:
http://www.shaolinchamber.com/video_files/danceofthedrunkmantis_vidclip_04.wmv

ShaDynasty
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
naw i dont have myspace
i sort of imagine havin to fill out pages data before i can use it
i may set up a page soon tho
i used to make beats, my current pc doesnt have a soundcard so i cant, but i use cubase, and every instrument i used is sampled
but someday ill get back into the music makin thing, i have a real passion for music, so hearin your shit excites me, makes me wanna start again

props for the clip, very funny, i love the drunken style

tekunique
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
4. Master of the flying gulliten.................................4

just watched this over the wknd. dope flick !

tacle
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Yo, i would really like to know what you people think of Iron Monkey the 1970's version, i just think this film was so sick, i mean the story of revenge, fightin' scenes are quite cool.

tekunique
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Yo, i would really like to know what you people think of Iron Monkey the 1970's version, i just think this film was so sick, i mean the story of revenge, fightin' scenes are quite cool.
i havent seen the original but i wouldnt doubt that its good. iron monkey is loosely based on true events about Wong Fei Hong's father. WFH is a legendary figure in china.

Ink Is My Drink
07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I THINK THIS THREAD SHOULD BE A STICKY AS ITS KINDA REALLY WU RELATED

mods what u think?

tekunique
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
I THINK THIS THREAD SHOULD BE A STICKY AS ITS KINDA REALLY WU RELATED

mods what u think?
it used to be sticky then it got unstuck when the corp came back.. i dont get it.

the list proof has on the first page is mindblowing..lol AND he aint list no corny shit..lol

100pr00f
07-25-2006, 01:28 AM
thier some corny shit dont get me wrong
3 or 4 flicks that woulnt be recamended
haha

but the list grows by 3 every weekend
haha

i have 4 i still need to watch and post

ShaDynasty
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
i havent seen the original but i wouldnt doubt that its good. iron monkey is loosely based on true events about Wong Fei Hong's father. WFH is a legendary figure in china.
nah you wrong, the 70s version (77 i think) is fuckin dope
real fast flowing fights, that film truly is the meaning of 'action packed', plus it has a great cast with chen kuan tai in the title role, and a solid engrossing story
seriously check it out, its definetly one of the best fu flicks ever made

tekunique
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
nah you wrong, the 70s version (77 i think) is fuckin dope
real fast flowing fights, that film truly is the meaning of 'action packed', plus it has a great cast with chen kuan tai in the title role, and a solid engrossing story
seriously check it out, its definetly one of the best fu flicks ever made

lol.. whats up with niggas not reading my posts correctly as of late..

i said i WOULDNT DOUBT that its good. meaning i have a feeling it is in fact dope. i'll def. check it out man, peace.

Wu-Ronin
07-25-2006, 02:11 PM
master of the flying guillotine is a dope kung fu flick. and the black mask
featuring jet li. i love the last fight scene in that movie.

100pr00f
07-25-2006, 05:14 PM
shaolin martial arts.......pretty dope flick
the training and the end fights were dope...def must have
even has gordon liu but he dies after months of traing only to find out the skill he learnd wasnt good enuff to kill the bad guys

i give it a 5

it would be better the bad guys but up more of a fight at the end but in all it was dope

peace

ShaDynasty
07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
lol.. whats up with niggas not reading my posts correctly as of late..

i said i WOULDNT DOUBT that its good. meaning i have a feeling it is in fact dope. i'll def. check it out man, peace.
haha sorry

props to 100proof also for that review
i already seen death chambers aka shaolin temple which is similar i believe to that film
i got that dvd shaolin martial arts and also 5 shaolin masters
i believe one of them is a sequel to the other
which do i watch first?

100pr00f
07-25-2006, 06:16 PM
5 shaolin masters..is the sequel to death chambers...so if u watched death chambers not so long ago check out 5 shaolin masters...prettty dope flick

Elaquent
07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
"i havent seen the original but i wouldnt doubt that its good. iron monkey is loosely based on true events about Wong Fei Hong's father. WFH is a legendary figure in china."

well, the 70s Iron Monkey film and the 1993 Iron Monkey film have nothing in common aside from their names. completely different stories and names. having that sed, the 1977 Iron Monkey is a fantastic and a certifiable genre classic. great story, fights and acting.

Elaquent
07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
btw 100p, whats ur kung fu film total as of right now (estimate)? btw, my boy went on vacation and he still has my copy of Bullet in the Head and Legend of a Fighter, so we'll have to postpone it for a while...if u still dont have it when he gets back i'll still send it over to u man.

ShaDynasty
07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
^^^100 proof must be runnin out of space for that shit
i am, and my collection dont have shit on his
i got over 100 films now, and ive seen about 30 films that were on tv/downloaded
im still sleepin on shit tho
like 'enter the dragon'
i got all bruces shit xcept that

Wu-Ronin
07-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Wong Fei Hung is played by Jet Li in Once Oppon A Time In China. Now thats a good one.

Elaquent
07-25-2006, 08:34 PM
"^^^100 proof must be runnin out of space for that shit
i am, and my collection dont have shit on his
i got over 100 films now, and ive seen about 30 films that were on tv/downloaded
im still sleepin on shit tho
like 'enter the dragon'
i got all bruces shit xcept that"

damn, ur comin along real quick...judging by ur reviews, u must got a real nice collection. enter the dragon in my opinion is the single most overrated kung fu movie ive seen. all of his HK films were 100x better in nearly every way. it was a "first" and it was "influential", but that dont make it good..at least not to me...

100pr00f
07-26-2006, 12:49 AM
my count with kung fu and samurai flicks would be 224

.nd yea about those 2 flicks..legend of a fighter and bullit in the head...yea no rush on them..i got mad films i still need to watch haha

and yes running out of space

i have about 300 other flicks too
and the kung fu section is catching up
and taking over the space from the other flicks haha
i can prolly get 50 more flicks on my shelf before i have to customize the selves another time..ill post a pic later...haha

peace

100pr00f
07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
well never mind i prolly could get 80 more flicks into my set up

more then half would prolly be kung fu flicks

Wu-Ronin
07-26-2006, 12:58 PM
lone wolf and cub series, seven samurai, throne of blood, miyamoto musashi series, three outlaw samurai, rashomon, ect. all good samurai flicks.

famenchuan
07-26-2006, 03:44 PM
What the movie called where the chinese guy who does kung has to fight a judo guy, he fights chinese spear vs. japanese spear, Butterfly swords vs Sai and at the end he has to fight the ninja.

100pr00f
07-26-2006, 05:56 PM
sounds like a gordon lui film

ShaDynasty
07-26-2006, 07:09 PM
5 shaolin masters - 4/5
nice cast, good fight scenes, bit of a simple story but that dont matter
it was interesting to see what happened to those guys after the temple burned down
overall worth seeing, but nothing special, not as good as death chamber aka shaolin temple which i gave a 5

but yeh this kung fu addiction is burnin a lotta money and space lol

Elaquent
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
"What the movie called where the chinese guy who does kung has to fight a judo guy, he fights chinese spear vs. japanese spear, Butterfly swords vs Sai and at the end he has to fight the ninja."

the film ur talkin about is Heroes of the East aka Shaolin Challenges Ninja. Starring Gordon Liu and Yasuaki Kurata, directed by Lau Kar Leung. classic film, easily one of my alltime fav SB films.

ShaDynasty
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
^^^gordon lius worst film lol

Elaquent
07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
^^^^^^ur on crack homie lol

on the real, i still think thats Lau Kar Leung/gordon liu's best all around film. i love those "martial way" films, especially Lau Kar Leung's.

ShaDynasty
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
^^^honestly these were easy better than shaolin challenges ninja:
36 chambers of shaolin
shaolin & wu tang
8 diagram pole fighter
dirty ho
fist of the white lotus
executioners from shaolin
some that i forgot prolly
even 4 assassins and 5 shaolin masters which hes not in for long are better
any new recomendations?

Elaquent
07-29-2006, 02:52 AM
no way..as an all around film, Heroes of the East is gordon's best. a really good plot, great fights, japanese fighting, martial honour...guess i may be alone in this, but i love this film. dirty ho and martial club are also up there..

100pr00f
07-29-2006, 03:30 PM
naw i love this flick to ..the whole story were he and his wife hate cuz of thier differnces..and the fights were he fights all them cats from differnt level of skill ..is nice

ShaDynasty
07-30-2006, 10:49 AM
yeah i like the film, im just sayin with all the classics liu has, i dont see how elaquent can rate it higher than 36 chambers of shaolin for example

ive ordered 'enter the dragon' now
my favorite lee joint is 'chinese connection', how does this compare?

Elaquent
07-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Fist of Fury aka Chinese Connection is easily IMO, Bruce Lee's best all around movie. good plot and acting, great fights. Enter the Dragon is a very overrated film IMO. there are 2 really good fights to look forward to in the film...the finale sux, and the pacing is slowww..plot is full of loopholes, i just dont enjoy that movie. Fist of Fury is my fav, and 2nd place is a toss up between Big Boss and Way of the Dragon..i think im leaning towards Big Boss...but i love both films. Game of Death is entertaining...to say the least..

i rate Heroes of the East higher than 36 chambers for many reasons. at its heart, 36th Chamber is just like every other Manchu/Qing Dynasty film out there...: hero is oppressed by manchus...learnes kung fu from shaolin..comes back and gets his revenge. the only difference between 36th and the other films is that the fights take a back seat to the training. having that sed, 36th is still a great film...but heroes of the east had a much more interesting story, better fights, more fights, while retaining that martial way theme that i love. its a mad educational film too...i learned a lot about chinese and japanese martial arts. to me, 36th chamber is a 5.5...just cuz its essential viewing...but my real rating of the film is a 4..maybe 4.5. heroes is a definete 5.5 from me. but thats just me.

review:
rewatched Rebellious Reign very recently, this flick is a hidden gem for sure. the fight choreography is absolutely sublime, but this is a more story driven film. word is, that the film was actually intended for Bruce Lee to star in, but when he died, they shelved the film...but they made it anyways in 1980 with Lung Fong instead of Bruce. dont get the wrong idea, no bruceploitation there, lung fong doesnt try to be like bruce. defientely the most political kf film ive seen...it takes the ming/qing storyline and takes it a lot deeper. great all around film. 4.5 for me for sure.

ShaDynasty
07-30-2006, 07:50 PM
i thought 36 chambers had real emotional weight to it, liu chia hui is really a very gifted actor as well as a martial artist
that film is classic to me
heroes of the east is great though, i might have to watch it again to fully appreciate it, the fights were really at the forefront in it, where 36 chambers is more about the atmosphere and acting

never seen game of death, i said i seen all his shit, but i kind of ignored that one, it was made 5 years after he died, i thought it sounded a bit dodgy
but you say its the least of his films right?

Elaquent
07-30-2006, 09:57 PM
"i thought 36 chambers had real emotional weight to it, liu chia hui is really a very gifted actor as well as a martial artist
that film is classic to me
heroes of the east is great though, i might have to watch it again to fully appreciate it, the fights were really at the forefront in it, where 36 chambers is more about the atmosphere and acting"

i agree, 36th was emotionally driven, and is definetely a classic. Heroes of the east was more story driven..well the first half at least. the action def took the backseat till about 3/4 thru. but i was more interested in the plot and the development of gordon liu and his wife's characters moreso than the action, which is VERY VERY rare in an oldskool kf flick! that flick will always stay close to me. but i respect ur opinion, im not belittling 36th in any way.

"never seen game of death, i said i seen all his shit, but i kind of ignored that one, it was made 5 years after he died, i thought it sounded a bit dodgy
but you say its the least of his films right?"

well, depending on how u approach the film, it can be one of bruce's best films..or his worst. best due to the amazing finale that contains real bruce footage. the rest of the filim was shot with a double and bruce lee inserts from other bruce movies. in one scene, they even cut out his face and paste it on the double's! get Warriors Journey instead.

100pr00f
07-31-2006, 08:06 AM
haha yea that was funny when they pasted is face over that ..lol
u ca easly tell..but its a ok film fights are good
just to bad he didnt finish the film
it was his own creation

bob99digi
07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
review:
rewatched Rebellious Reign very recently, this flick is a hidden gem for sure. the fight choreography is absolutely sublime, but this is a more story driven film. word is, that the film was actually intended for Bruce Lee to star in, but when he died, they shelved the film...but they made it anyways in 1980 with Lung Fong instead of Bruce. dont get the wrong idea, no bruceploitation there, lung fong doesnt try to be like bruce. defientely the most political kf film ive seen...it takes the ming/qing storyline and takes it a lot deeper. great all around film. 4.5 for me for sure.

Really, i've always liked this movie, it was actually one of the first few that I got for some strange reason. I never really hear anyone saying they liked this movie much, not a real popular one I guess.

Heroes - always been one of my fav. Gordon Liu flicks. I like seeing the full repertoire of skills he displayed during this movie.

ShaDynasty
07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
elaquent recomend me some shaw bros please
im on ebay lookin...

Elaquent
08-01-2006, 02:04 PM
ok, here are a few recommendations of some good SB flix..

Stroke of Death aka Monkey Kung Fu - underrated ass movie starring future legendary director Ching Siu Tung

The Duel - classic Chang Cheh iron triangle film, starring Ti Lung and David Chiang

Five Fingers of Death - classic SB basher starring lo lieh in a rare hero role

Naval Commandos - havent seen it, but i hear its really good...if u like 7 man army, u should like naval commandos (so i hear)

5 Superfighters - havent seen, but same cast and crew of Stroke of Death, minus Ching Siu Tung.

Bastard Swordsman - im REALLY not a fan of wuxia, but this is quite a renowned swordplay flick...fights are pretty interesting.

just off the top of my head...

ShaDynasty
08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
ok, here are a few recommendations of some good SB flix..

Stroke of Death aka Monkey Kung Fu - underrated ass movie starring future legendary director Ching Siu Tung

The Duel - classic Chang Cheh iron triangle film, starring Ti Lung and David Chiang

Five Fingers of Death - classic SB basher starring lo lieh in a rare hero role

Naval Commandos - havent seen it, but i hear its really good...if u like 7 man army, u should like naval commandos (so i hear)

5 Superfighters - havent seen, but same cast and crew of Stroke of Death, minus Ching Siu Tung.

Bastard Swordsman - im REALLY not a fan of wuxia, but this is quite a renowned swordplay flick...fights are pretty interesting.

just off the top of my head...
props ive got 5 fingers of death but havent watched it yet

just watched 5 super fighters today, good story about 3 students getting revenge for their master against "the specialist" who goes around challenging lesser skilled fighters
the fights and choreography were surprisingly good, although some of it is sped up
imo its 3.5/5 not amazing but you wont regret watching it

100pr00f
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
no need for the copy of legend of a fighter..just bought it..but its in reagon 2 so i get to see if the ps2 can play it haha
if not ill buy a reagion free player..ima get one any way so i can get flicks i cant get like

sword staind with royal blood
legend of the fox..good copy
some others and rare ones like
human lanterns
haha

picked up naval comandos too along with some others...orderd from hkflix

100pr00f
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
bullit in the head
20$
eng dubbed added

but its reagion 2

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.537216/qx/details.htm

bob99digi
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
picked up naval comandos too along with some others...orderd from hkflix

let me know what you think about this one. Its been on my list of movies to buy for years now, lol.

100pr00f
08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
ill tell u in 2 weeks haha

bob99digi
08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
ill tell u in 2 weeks haha

lol, hey, whenever you get around to it.

100pr00f
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
got my first batch of flicks in today

sonny chiba 4 pack street fighters....
the buddhist fist
dreadnaught....yuen biao

non kung fu haha
the last don 2

Elaquent
08-02-2006, 09:30 PM
"no need for the copy of legend of a fighter..just bought it..but its in reagon 2 so i get to see if the ps2 can play it haha
if not ill buy a reagion free player..ima get one any way so i can get flicks i cant get like "

cool, glad uve got it now...its really an excellent film. u may not need to get a region free player. look on google to see if u can region-hack ur dvd player. its easy to do...just type in the exact model of ur dvd player, and also type 'region hack'. otherwise, get a Cyberhome dvd player, theyre like 40 bux and apparently theyre the easiest to hack.

"sonny chiba 4 pack street fighters....
the buddhist fist
dreadnaught....yuen biao"

very good batch...ur in for quite a treat..especially with Buddhist Fist, thats a classic.

try and get the fortune star copy of bullet in the head..its uncut and in multiple languages. good pic quality too.

100pr00f
08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
2nd batch came in

legend of a fighter
wheels on meals
naval commandos
duel of fists

Elaquent
08-08-2006, 02:08 AM
nice man, let me kno what u think of all those flix...legend of a fighter and wheels on meals are classics.

just watched Dragon Tiger Gate (2006)..its been out in HK theatres for about 2 or so weeks. its a solid slightly above avg film..plot is really underdeveloped and i didnt care for any of the characters...the fight scenes are good, with only a few standout moments...didnt justify the hype. i expect more from donnie yen and wilson yip. 3/5 from me.

The Wizzard
08-08-2006, 02:21 AM
got my first batch of flicks in today

sonny chiba 4 pack street fighters....
the buddhist fist
dreadnaught....yuen biao

non kung fu haha
the last don 2
how is street fighter's last revenge, I seen the rest and think they're all ill but round here I can only find it in the four pack and i wanna know if it is worth rebuying the three for one movie

100pr00f
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
i havnt gotting to it yet just the first one
...and that was good
it will take some time

ill up a link for u

on what i got
its cheap..and its eng dubbed

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5028546&style=movie&cart=375245034&BAB=E

The Wizzard
08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
^thanks man, good lookin out.

100pr00f
08-08-2006, 09:28 PM
update: legend of a fighter

my playstation cant read it..but comp does so i can get other reagions on my comp yay...

wow
damn good flick
story is great fights are good
i see were they get the traing fight sceens at in the matrix
also i see whe jet li uses some moves like the guy blocks his fist then he use his fingers to back hand him

also not the movie but the real fuk yun gap inspired bruce lee and i can see were it was at...in this flick

def a must have
very good story

give it a 5.5

peace

Elaquent
08-09-2006, 12:17 AM
agree 100% about that flick, its a classic and IMO, Yuen Woo Ping's best all around film. an easy 5.5 from me too. glad u like it man.

Elaquent
08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
btw, Street Fighters Last Revenge is a very entertaining flick. not as good as the first 2, because theres more exploitive violence, and sonny chiba is more of an all around badass in them...but SFLR is still worth checking out.

The Wizzard
08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
^but is it worth rebuying the other three films to own it?

Elaquent
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
that depends on how much find it for...if u can get it the 4 flix for like 5 bux or somethin go for it, for sure, but if the price is like 20 bux or somethin, then i'd say no, look around for a single copy. generally u can find these films really cheap.

ShaDynasty
08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
anyone seen 'tiger on the beat'?
this is chow yun fat and gordon liu
i think john woo directed it
is it worth coppin
also anyone seen holy robe of shaolin or hard boiled?
i just copped these

The Wizzard
08-09-2006, 04:00 PM
that depends on how much find it for...if u can get it the 4 flix for like 5 bux or somethin go for it, for sure, but if the price is like 20 bux or somethin, then i'd say no, look around for a single copy. generally u can find these films really cheap.

thanks for the tip, i'ma go lookin this weekend.

Elaquent
08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
"anyone seen 'tiger on the beat'?
this is chow yun fat and gordon liu
i think john woo directed it
is it worth coppin
also anyone seen holy robe of shaolin or hard boiled?
i just copped these"

Tiger on Beat is NOT directed by john woo, its directed by SB legend Lau Kar Leung. also stars Conan Lee (from ninja in the dragons den). the Tiger on Beat movies are pretty love-it-or-hate-it among most fans...personally, i didnt like them. i dont think Lau Kar Leung is cut out for modern settings. so i guess its a toss up to u.

ive seen Holy Robe and Hardboiled. Hardboiled is my fav john woo flick..gun battles are absolutely ridiculous. good story too. if u watch carefully, u can catch Venom Phillip Kwok/Kuo Chui in a role in there. Tony Leung and Chow Yun Fat are cool as ice in this movie. a definete 5.5 from me.
Holy Robe of Shaolin is a cool mainland chinese kung fu flick. the fights overall are pretty solid, and the locations are interesting, however the main problem with this film is that some parts are very very slowwwww. it stars the Iron Monkey (93 version) himself, Yu Rong Guang in an early role. directed, choreographed and possibly written by Tsui Siu Ming (the monk from Buddhist Fist). overall its a good flick, i give it a 3.8

ShaDynasty
08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
aiight props for that

tekunique
08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
hard boiled?

Hard Boiled is sick !

last dope hong kong action flick Woo directed IMO.

ShaDynasty
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Hard Boiled is sick !

last dope hong kong action flick Woo directed IMO.

"imo"?
it WAS the last hong kong flick he directed

num2son
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mMlONL-BR2M

Lady Snowblood Trailer

Elaquent
08-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Lady Snowblood is a great chambara/samurai flick...the sequel is disappointing tho...good find.

100pr00f
08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
yea that flick is dope lady snowblood...
havnt seen the 2nd one dont plan to after the reviews on it haha

bob99digi
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
if u watch carefully, u can catch Venom Phillip Kwok/Kuo Chui in a role in there.

yep, and if you look even closer you can catch Lo Mang aka The Toad in a very small role in there too.

ShaDynasty
08-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Enter The Dragon - 5/5
this film is sick!
plotline is simple (no surprise here), but its so damn cool, i think its the best fight scenes out of all bruce lee films
truly incredible shit
why do you think its overated elaquent? id say its on the same level, maybe better than his other flicks
yall know anything about john saxon and jim kelly?
i kinda feel like seeing some more of their shit

wow, my 2000th post, and im not makin a lame thread about it either

Elaquent
08-11-2006, 01:10 AM
"why do you think its overated elaquent? id say its on the same level, maybe better than his other flicks
yall know anything about john saxon and jim kelly?"

glad u asked that. let me break it down for u..plot was uninteresting and corny to me..tried to rip of james bond or something. theres no emotional element to the film, i didnt care about any character in that movie aside from bruce...and its only cuz its bruce. the fights dont compare to his HK films, and the only fight i liked is his fight wiht bob wall (ohara). and the underground fight. everything else was crap. but it was cool seeing bruce having a sparring match with sammo hung in the beginning. pacing is slow as shit, and i fell asleep like 3x b4 watching the first real fight scene. lost count of the amount of plot holes, and the endfight just sucked. i did like jim kelly's one liners tho. bottom line, enter the dragon's legacy only lies in the fact that its Bruce Lee IMO...substitute bruce lee with, lets say, Jack Long or anybody else, and i guarantee u nobody would give a shit. i dont think its a bad film, its ok at best...but when ppl call this the "greatest kf movie of all time" it just confuses me. Fist of Fury aka Chinese Connection had a much tighter story, better acting, and the fights were more interesting to me at least. it was bruces best all around film. Way of the Dragon had a simple, but effective story, and easily the best action out of all of Bruce's movies. big boss had a better than avg plot, and bruce was just cool as ice in it. for a movie which is supposed to be the 'best in the genre', it was very disappointing to me. sorry for the rant haha

john saxon didnt do many martial arts films as far as i kno...i kno he did some other b movies. if he did more kung fu flix, i dont kno about them. as for jim kelly, he did a few...check out Tattoo connection, co starring Tan tao liang. its a decent film, but its cool seeing him in an asian film. he was also in a movie called black samurai i think...i dont remember it much, but i remember it being a fun film...he did some blaxploitation i believe.

ShaDynasty
08-11-2006, 06:00 AM
hahaha
i think enter the dragon is great, a true classic
its true that it wasnt a very emotional film, but its a showcase for bruce lee really
i enjoyed it a lot, maybe not more than chinese connection though
i definetly thought it was better than way of the dragon

ive ordered game of death now so my bruce lee collection will be complete

hahaha i just checked imdb apparently john saxons in dusk til dawn and beverly hills cop 3!
jim kelly had some films i might check out, black belt jones and 3 the hard way

Elaquent
08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
"i definetly thought it was better than way of the dragon"

no way! way of the dragon was easily bruce's best film action wise...the nunchaku fight in Way of the Dragon > everything in Enter the Dragon. for a film with such a rubbish story, theres surprisingly little 'quality' action in it. haha to each his own, but nobody is going to convince me the film is any better than 'ok'.

100pr00f
08-13-2006, 12:01 AM
update....naval commandos

not as food as i thought it would be..its a ok movie a mory of a story driven flick
lilbit of hand to hand fights
all of witch is at the end
with 1 or 2 scatter in other parts
story is good tho
based as a kung fu flick i give it a 3.5
averge
3 venoms in this also

ShaDynasty
08-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Boxer From The Temple - 3/5
billed as a sequel to 5 Super Fighters
actually has nothing to do with that film but one of the same actors
choreography is quite good
story is pretty unimaginative:
student leaves shaolin temple, marries then his wife gets killed, he goes after the cats behind it, kills them etc
this film is aiight pretty silly though
sample dialogue:
(dude works in a restaurant and a group of bandits won't pay)
dude:if you dont pay, we can't pay our staff, then we'll have to close down, does that make sense?
bandit1:are you insulting me?
bandit2:yes he is
(fight starts)

100pr00f
08-17-2006, 02:29 AM
new batch

method man
ninja in the deadly trap
ninja checkmate
five shaolin masters
legend of the fox....the good copie..reagion 3 dvd remasterd celestial

Elaquent
08-17-2006, 03:24 AM
ive heard nothin but good things about Method Man (forget origianl title)..let me kno how it is 100p.

100pr00f
08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
no prob..yea i hear it was a good flick too not classic but worthy of gettin

100pr00f
08-17-2006, 12:23 PM
uhh ooo
my comp dvd player dosnt play reagion 3
well it can just have to switch the reagion of the driver..but u canonly do that 3 times

so i d/l a copy of reagionfreedvd
witch scrambles the codes and plays it perfectly...well not realy that great for pal format witch method man is in..its lil jumpy but def watable
also that legend of the fox flix is 2 damn hrs lol

here is a link
u need bittorrent to d/l this
its a trial version
for 30 days...but what i will do is jsut keep reinstalling it after it runs out to do it all over again haha

http://torrentspy.com/torrent/676033/DVD_Region_CSS_Free_5_975

also in the threads thier they tell u to run the program
with is 1 mb

while it is running go to the folder were thier is a folder inside that
witch will have the program in the size of a half of 1 mb
cut past were the 1 mb
program is install and replace it..
and is said it will last forever or untill u delet....it haha

dont know if it works ..i will see after 30 days ....peace...and go but other reagions now haha
the flix are 14$ each tho but uncut remasterd 2 hrs long lol

haha

peace

100pr00f
08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
^^^ the program didnt work as in tha copy and past thing didnt make it free to were i wont ever have to regester...it only allows u to watch 15 mins and then cuts off...ima find another way haha
luckly method man is reagion free but in pal format so it works on my comp dvd drive

update: meathod man

pretty dope flick fights are great story is good..but does have flaws...maymbe if their is a uncut remasterd version of this flick it would be better
quilty was ok
had that faded look

but still def a good flick
fights like i said dope

ill give this a 4.2

would be higher if the flaws are fixed..also some of the camra work wasnt good
but then some of of it is dope haha

peace..cop it

ShaDynasty
08-17-2006, 08:50 PM
props dude
im dling rite now
yeh im curious on that method man shit, looks like a nice cast

100pr00f
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
naw dont d/l

i got a new one better..and it works
it hhas a crack on it to so u dont have to buy it

http://torrentspy.com/search.asp?h=&query=anydvd

the top 4 .....check em out

peace

ShaDynasty
08-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Shaolin Martial Arts - 4.5/5
very good film, somewhat similar to 'invincible shaolin'
great cast, i really mean great........fu sheng, gordon liu, szu shih, wang lung wei and even yuen siu tien makes an appearance as a stubborn kung fu master
the story is standard, but there are great training scenes, really good fight choreography (especially for 1974), and good acting
i would give it the full 5/5 but it was about 10 minutes too long and the love interests either should have played a fuller role or not been there at all
overall i really recomend this flick

100pr00f
08-20-2006, 11:21 AM
update: ninja in the deadly trap

not sure if its concederd a venoms flick but i will say it is..its made in 84-85
and has 3 venoms in it alon with ti lung..but he dosnt fight just the venoms and it is produced by a venom....Philip Kwok

its not a shaw...but still say its a venom flick haha

any way story is good..a lil slow at first but then picks up speed..
fights are great and its my top fav venoms

Philip Kwok
chiang sheng
lu feng

i give it a 4

peace

100pr00f
08-20-2006, 09:53 PM
update. legend of the fox

pretty dope film..2 hrs long too ..but still good..i give it a 4.2

not hand to hand..but swords...
good action...story is good too..and the quilty of celestial is pretty damn nice
not the best venoms but def a nice flick too have..one of the rarest venom flick u can get...haha

peace

Elaquent
08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
"update: ninja in the deadly trap

not sure if its concederd a venoms flick but i will say it is..its made in 84-85
and has 3 venoms in it alon with ti lung..but he dosnt fight just the venoms and it is produced by a venom....Philip Kwok "

actually, it was produced by Chang Cheh...Phillip Kwok directed this one.

havent seen this one yet, but ive heard lots of good things about it..i'll have to track it down.

bob99digi
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Ninja in the deadly trap - always been one of my favs since i've seen it. I like how the ninjas go about tryin to accomplish their goals (don't wanna spoil anything). Good fighting from the venoms.

Legend of a Fox - I liked this one in particular because of its plot. I gotta get that good copy that you (100proof) have though.

100pr00f
08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
check
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.534257/qx/details.htm

reagion 3 tho...no dubs
2 hrs long too
remasterd looks good and clear
buy it

if u cant play reagion 3 i can show u how on ur comp

haha

peace

Elaquent
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
100p, get a Cyberhome dvd player...theyre like 30 bux and easy to region hack.

100pr00f
08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
i got a program for my comp for free...hahah
also when i get my 42 in tv..i can hook the comp to it so i can play on the tv haha

peace

ShaDynasty
08-23-2006, 06:52 PM
100p, get a Cyberhome dvd player...theyre like 30 bux and easy to region hack.

i have one of these, most kf dvds seem to be region free tho

Grongle
08-23-2006, 07:56 PM
i like kung fu movies but i dont have alot i only have 36 chambers . is there any websyted that you can watch online ?

num2son
08-23-2006, 08:09 PM
is there any websyted that you can watch online ?

You could watch some clips on Youtube.com

Elaquent
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
www.shawscope.com has tons of fightscenes u can watch. but ur best bet is youtube like num2son sed.

num2son
08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
www.shawscope.com (http://www.shawscope.com) has tons of fightscenes u can watch..

Thanks