PDA

View Full Version : dr. dre not writing his own rhymes..and beats ??

venex
05-20-2007, 11:15 AM
he never does ????

who writes all his shit then ???

and for example...when he got on "puppet master" from MUGGS soul assassins album... so the beat is from muggs, and dre spits a verse that he didn't even wrote.. so that means dre didn't do shit for that song ? just rappin' what was written down for him ??

I wanna know more about this "dre never writes rhymes himself"... not that I don't believe it...I do...but what happens if you ask this to dre ?

same thing for his beats...some claim, he just coordinating the whole thing, but he got people who make them for him... but this, I don't believe

peace!

The Hound
05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
snoop dogg
the d.o.c
ice cube
royce da 5'9
eminem
scott storch
jay-z on still d.r.e.

as for beats, well, warren g and daz come to mind

edit ... but it has to be remembered theres more to producing albums and songs that just beat making ...

cap
05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
scott storch writes his rhymes??
fuck outta here

im sure he has written some verses in over 25 years in the game,but the majority is ghostwritten.
i think its a smart move,it would've really hurt his albums if he would've written all the verses himself and it being totally wack,so its good for the quality.
and dre isnt exactly known for his skills so it doesnt matter.

as for the beats,i dont believe all that about mel man doing all the work come on man,this is dre he's a fucking beat genius!!

The Hound
05-20-2007, 11:48 AM
scott storch is credited on 2001 as a songwritter aswell as contributing tracks ... a side note, 2001 has to be the most confusing fucking booklet to check info on ive ever come across

oDoUoSoKo
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
this shouldnt be a shock...people do it all the time...i dont approve but w/e...dirty didnt write or come up with (since people like being smart asses saying he didnt write, he thought them up0 some of his shit..eazy e didnt write...alot of people...w/e man

The Hound
05-20-2007, 11:57 AM
^^ aslong as people get their props then its all good, its when people deny someone helped them - or did the whole shit for em iunno - that it gets fucked up, but, the majority of motherfuckers do it

Scribbles
05-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Yea it does happen from time to time. But CMON give the dude the credit he deserves....

There's a reason why producers/emcess respect his craft. You don't think these artists will praise him for nothing right? He has laid down work and he paid his dues for Hip Hop, regardless if one or two tracks were ghostwritten/produced.

oDoUoSoKo
05-20-2007, 12:02 PM
u dont have to defend anyone here...im not taking away from his beatmaking...just making sure u kno he doesnt write.

The Hound
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Yea it does happen from time to time. But CMON give the dude the credit he deserves....

There's a reason why producers/emcess respect his craft. You don't think these artists will praise him for nothing right? He has laid down work and he paid his dues for Hip Hop, regardless if one or two tracks were ghostwritten/produced.

dude, dr dre is a legend in my eyes, but one or two ghostwritten tracks is a gross under statement

Jamal Noor
05-20-2007, 12:24 PM
how can you not write a beat? :/

The Hound
05-20-2007, 12:28 PM
what ... we're talking bout dre not writting his own shit ...

oDoUoSoKo
05-20-2007, 12:38 PM
same way u write music.

venex
05-20-2007, 12:43 PM
and when he is featured on another one's song...for example the "puppet master" song, that I've explained in the first post..

Does he come in the studio with the rhyme already written and stuff ?

and what do you think, that he would say, if you ask about it, in a interview or something ?

thanks for the answers though...

The Hound
05-20-2007, 12:47 PM
man hed probably punch your fuckin lights out if you asked him

venex
05-20-2007, 12:49 PM
LOL, i'mma ask him over the phone then :)

Scribbles
05-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yea dude. That's offensive if you ask em that. You're basically questioning his craft and authenticity. But def. get the scoop on that if you can LOL You would have the interview of the year LOL

GSTYLE
05-20-2007, 02:26 PM
its no secret dre dont write his own rhymes, but he is a PRODUCER WHO RAPS rather than the other way round so its fair enuff if u ask me.

It has been confirmed frm many sources that Dre used to write some of his stuff between 89-93 tho.

Dirty Knowledge
05-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Ooooold news. There's an article in an old Source, where a group of beatmakers talk about making old DRE beats. I believe it. Dre probably more of a manager/politician in the buisness than an actual poet/creator.

THE W
05-20-2007, 06:47 PM
im not surprised about the writing. didnt MC ren and ice cube write all or most of NWA's lyrics?

maybe dre doesnt know how to use certain equipment so he tells other people who know how to use the equipment what to do?

maestro wooz
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
mf grimm wrote alot of shit for dre back in the chronic days

tymoney
05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I know that Jay-z helped write still d.r.e.

brown_dogg
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Royce wrote "The Message" off 2001. I remember that from one of those BEEF (I, II, or III?) documentaries.

Mel Man is credited as co-producer of the whole 2001 album. Scott Storch is also credited in a few songs, especially the piano parts. Scott Storch did the piano in "Still Dre", and that loop was what made the song so good.

Kanye West did the drums in "Xxplosive", which is also the best part of that song. I love those drums. Kanye said so in the song "Last Call" off College Dropout.

I heard Jay-Z wrote "Still Dre" for him.

I mean Dre barely produces any song these days ON HIS OWN. Most of his produced songs give credit to Mike Elizondo or Scott Storch.

murkoutz
05-20-2007, 10:32 PM
i think em wrote his verse for forgot about dre

BRONZBODY
05-20-2007, 11:46 PM
i think em wrote his verse for forgot about drehe did

The Hound
05-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Royce wrote "The Message" off 2001. I remember that from one of those BEEF (I, II, or III?) documentaries.

Mel Man is credited as co-producer of the whole 2001 album. Scott Storch is also credited in a few songs, especially the piano parts. Scott Storch did the piano in "Still Dre", and that loop was what made the song so good.

Kanye West did the drums in "Xxplosive", which is also the best part of that song. I love those drums. Kanye said so in the song "Last Call" off College Dropout.

I heard Jay-Z wrote "Still Dre" for him.

I mean Dre barely produces any song these days ON HIS OWN. Most of his produced songs give credit to Mike Elizondo or Scott Storch.
royce also recorded a song called 'the way i be pimpin' which he supposedly wrote dre's verses, but because of the fall out that song was scratched and xxplosive was re-recorded, he was also supposedly supposed to of done 50cents 'in da club' which was gonna make royce big until they signed 50 ...

GSTYLE
05-22-2007, 02:46 AM
I believe he produces more than people think because i remember a Snoop interview when he said he is sick of people sayin that shit because he has been in a studio with no1 but Dre for like a week and watched him come up with some of the classic songs. yeah im sure he uses some assistance from other producers or adds layer upon layer to their original songs, but Snoop also said that if that happens, the track ends up sounding completely different to the original and the original track wasnt shit.

The only ones who usually pointed the finger at Dre are the people who never made it. Cuz u gotta think, even RZA been talkin about the way DRE produces, a number of produces and rappers say they cant beleive when they are in the studio with him what he does.

Visionz
05-22-2007, 05:16 AM
I believe he produces more than people think because i remember a Snoop interview when he said he is sick of people sayin that shit because he has been in a studio with no1 but Dre for like a week and watched him come up with some of the classic songs. yeah im sure he uses some assistance from other producers or adds layer upon layer to their original songs, but Snoop also said that if that happens, the track ends up sounding completely different to the original and the original track wasnt shit.

The only ones who usually pointed the finger at Dre are the people who never made it. Cuz u gotta think, even RZA been talkin about the way DRE produces, a number of produces and rappers say they cant beleive when they are in the studio with him what he does.most of the Chronic is Parliment with more bass so Snoop is bullshittin when he said that, Dre still gets credit imo for knowing that G-funk sound would sell millions. He progressed since then and I'm sure he's quite capable of making a hot track all by his lonesome. But he still gets help from studio muscians and such and I'm sure damn near everyone of his rhymes is ghostwritten. He adopts the cadence of whoever was doin the writng (from Snoop in 'dre day' to Em in 'forgot about Dre', I think if you're a writer already it makes it a lot easier to recognize)

Professor Poopsnagle
05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
most of the Chronic is Parliment with more bass

^bitter truth. yes, finally someone said it! thanks.

THE W
05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
^^yeah basically

and Rza never really praised dre for being a great beatmaker. he praised him for being a great mix engineer.

Scribbles
05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
What the fuck?? Have you guys ever been inside a REAL recording studio?

Well if you have, then you would realize you almost always have engineers or people with input around you. Now imagine, if you were Dre - everyone is always around you to learn techniques, etc. So of course everyone is going to want to take credit for a DRE beat. Just because someone plays a small portion of a bassline or piano loop, etc - DOESN'T MEAN YOU MADE THE BEAT. That's just a part of what goes into making the track. The ability to put all the pieces together, combine various ideas and put it on record - THAT'S WHAT DEFINES A PRODUCER.

Get your shit straight, Dre is a phenomonal producer. Period.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
you guys act like dre is the only beat maker who does this, most big producers (kanye, dre, timbaland, storch) have a fucking team of people who work with them on beats.

edit: should have read the post above me.

Visionz
05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Dre's not the only one by far as far as studio musicians is concerned, especially when you got the kind of budget I'm sure that Dre is working with. I do think it's lame when a producer in general don't sample somuch as jack basically the entire track of their source material. Nothing wrong with sampling but damnit get creative with it.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
additionally mel-man co produces pretty much all of dre's tracks post 2000 odd.

credits have them listed as equal contributers.