PDA

View Full Version : KRS-One and MARley Marl Album HIP-HOP lives

J.T.S.
05-21-2007, 01:21 PM
What do ya'll think about it? I think it's ok, the risings pretty ill!
Not feeling i was there though! Oh yeah "Kill a Rapper" was sick too!
Album drops tommorow who's copping this??

Suga Duga
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
don't think that's a no-brainer, we'll see what happens, but I'll check it out

cap
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
definitely copping it,and i think everybody who's passionate about the culture should too.

tical2000
05-22-2007, 01:50 AM
the shit is mad corny......

just watched the video for the album.......shit is wack

2L8Lit da croatianMC
05-22-2007, 02:51 AM
yo drop some info...

Scribbles
05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
It's a good album. I liked it. I'll drop a review later on.

But the whole HHID shit is getting mad boring/annoying now.

Just give me quality music dammit. I think Joell Ortiz album is better than this.

But don't get me wrong, this album is good.

JEM
05-22-2007, 11:19 AM
the shit is mad corny......

just watched the video for the album.......shit is wack

u the fuckin reason people say hip hop is dead....ignorant posers who open their mouths, spewing negativity on positive conscious efforts...show some respect and keep your negative comments to yourself

WuGambino
05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I just bought it and I'm on Hip Hop Lives. The intro was hilarious where KRS starts screaming "It's aliiiiiive!!!"

pneumatic
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Picked it up today. I agree, the end of "Rising to the Top" is the truth. I like it a lot. I'm on "Kill a Rapper" right now and the beat is nice.

BTW, I did like "I Was There", maybe not the best hook though.

Jeru
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
definitely copping it,and i think everybody who's passionate about the culture should too.

Everyone passionate about the culture should buy Marly Marl and KRS ( BDP ) albums but this one...I dunno...don't like it that much.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Yo I've Had This On My Ipod When It Leaked Friday Afternoon And This Album Is Dope Tracks Like "hip Hop Lives", "nuthin' New", "i Was There" And Even "kill A Rapper" Is Dope As Fuck Its Better Than Some Of The Other Shit You Be Listening Too Don't Knock Chingy, Lil Wanye Are Hip Hop But They're Not Talking Bout Anything Real Nahmean So Just Remember Something Before I Leave Knowledge Regins Suprme (krs One)

L~>1<~NKS
05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
u the fuckin reason people say hip hop is dead....ignorant posers who open their mouths, spewing negativity on positive conscious efforts...show some respect and keep your negative comments to yourself

Nuff said.

I gotta listen to that mic. Haven't Marley Marl in over 15 yearz.

Kong
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I like this album, I expected more though.

WuGambino
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I've heard it all now. It's ok.
There are some bangin' tracks, it's just a bit hit and miss.

Chris79
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
The album is dope....the beats are dope....surprised no one mentioned my favorite track on there right now, The Victory with Blaq Poet....at first, I thought Premo produced that but I guess he just did the cuts...the album is great....Marley should release more material

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
05-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Classic shit..Dope Beats,Ill Rhymes..My man Poet kills that shit..5/5 FO SHO..

DR. NICK RIVIERA
05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
not really 5 star material...say, doesn't Blaq Poet sound a little like Rae? They related? naaah, prolly not

RAMESH
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
02. hip hop lives - cool track 3/5
03. nothing new - i think krs makes good points but it's too much 2.5/5
04. i was there - i hate that whistle krs carries on where he left off 0/5
05. musika (feat.magic juan) - he carries on where he left off 1/5
06. rising to the top - more history but it's cool 4/5
07. over 30 - more preaching 2/5
08. skit
09. kill a rapper - track about unsolved dead rappers 2.5/5
10. the teachas back - more preaching 1/5
i give up it's too much for 1 day
krs needs some new material the man is a legend & will be respected i just hope it's not his last 1

junius
05-23-2007, 11:58 PM
the problem is KRS has pretty boring flow at this point... there are some very good lines & some kinda obvious, instantly dead ones too. Marley Marl does a mostly good, if rarely, exciting job... Joell Ortiz DESTROYS this tho' he's had a liftime to build up to that & KRS has been going & going & going & going... it's an admirable body of work & nobody from that era is better but... if this was anyone's ** introduction ** to KRS & Marley Marl... it wouldn't be too persuasive I don't think. (& this is nowhere near Nas.) Better guest spots might have helped too, I dunno... I was hoping for more.

OTB
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
the album iz sensational-
i have to respectfully disagree w/ you junius,
respectfully cuz i've alwayz pretty much agreed with
all posts i've read from you-
krs haz the loudest, clearest, dopest flow ever to me-
he spits just az dope az ever, if not better, on this album-
to me, this iz almost a perfect album-

and yo ramesh-
i dont know what kind of system your playin your albumz on,
but 'hip hop livez' iz seriously bangin on my cerwin vegaz-
take your copy of the album and play it somewhere else and see
what you think, maybe thoze 0/5 and 1/5 scorez will go up-

-peace

RAMESH
05-24-2007, 01:06 PM
i got a sony 1000 watts rms home theatre system but when i listen to cd's i only use the 2 main speaker boxes & i only use 1 sub on half volume so the bass doesn't over power the lyrics but hip hop lives is my 2nd favourite track on the cd

lips
05-24-2007, 02:54 PM
i think this is a legit classic. reppin' everything that is important about the culture of hip-hop. outright banger.

Chris79
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I wouldnt go so far as to call the album classic...its definitely solid with great production by Marley....the rhymes are good too but a friend made a good point that I agree with....he said he wishes KRS would diversify his subject matter a bit more and not always talk about Hip-Hop and the culture...I agree with that statement

KRS' flow has always been on point...check out this video from the NYC show on Sunday...the first acapella is from Kill A Rapper...but the the second acapella he spits is DOPE --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNaeLhonOHQ

More videos and pictures here: http://grandgood.com/?p=2158

RAMESH
05-25-2007, 03:07 AM
I wouldnt go so far as to call the album classic...its definitely solid with great production by Marley....the rhymes are good too but a friend made a good point that I agree with....he said he wishes KRS would diversify his subject matter a bit more and not always talk about Hip-Hop and the culture...I agree with that statement

KRS' flow has always been on point...check out this video from the NYC show on Sunday...the first acapella is from Kill A Rapper...but the the second acapella he spits is DOPE --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNaeLhonOHQ

More videos and pictures here: http://grandgood.com/?p=2158
that was the same problem i had with the cd what krs did over the whole cd he could of done in 3 tracks, subject matter is the main reason i gave it low ratings evrything krs does on this cd he has done before but i must say i only listened to the cd once properly & 1 half ass listen i will listen to it again

i gave hip hop lives a few more spins & it's the best track on the cd. i also felt that he should of gotten shabba ranks to do the ragga for him on nothing new. the cd plays out more like an introduction to kriss it's aimed for new generation there is nothing in there for me except hip hop lives

11th Chamber
05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
this has nothin to do with the album, as I havent heard it yet, but...

50 Cent is gonna be hostin Rap City next week and he is gonna have KRS-One and Marley Marl as guests. So it should be interesting to see what happens with that

Erquel
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
basslines on this album are fucking sick