PDA

View Full Version : Where is the originality?

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Everybody is sampling shit
The whole hip hop world samples and samples.
fuken pathetic

the beat dead presidents was sampled. its like every beat is sampled.
wasent the whole illmatic sampled too?

baritone
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
aint shit wrong wit sampling, i'm sure your favorite producer has sampled, whether it be RZA or whoever

cap
05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
to me sampling is an essential part of hip hop.
sampling doesnt mean you cant be original or creative.

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
dont tell me c.r.e.a.m was sampled too?

cap
05-28-2007, 03:59 PM
yup,dont you have that album??
check the booklet.

crust
05-28-2007, 04:01 PM

yeah im pretty sure it was.

Jon Quest
05-28-2007, 04:01 PM
is this a real thread?

cap
05-28-2007, 04:44 PM
is this a real thread?

asking myself that same question

NY_Mami
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM
is this a real thread?

That's what I'm sayin'.......... Y'all know damn well C.R.E.A.M was sampled, the song loops the original sample("As Long As I've Got You") in the beginning...... and all the songs on Illmatic was sampled too.......(including "The World Is Yours" beat)

Jon Quest
05-28-2007, 04:53 PM
That's what I'm sayin'.......... Y'all know damn well C.R.E.A.M was sampled, the song loops the original sample("As Long As I've Got You") in the beginning...... and all the songs on Illmatic was sampled too.......(including "The World Is Yours" beat)

this was news in 1993

PANDA PISS
05-28-2007, 04:56 PM
id say its damn near impossible to come up with a melody that hasnt already been done.
sampling is usually done more for the actual sound of an old record rather than for its melody.
i think its ingenious to take something old and make something new from it, but then, i LIKE hip hop.

oDoUoSoKo
05-28-2007, 05:00 PM
id say its damn near impossible to come up with a melody that hasnt already been done.

depends on the time sig.

PANDA PISS
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
depends on the time sig.

yeah but who cares about fuckin with 3/4

2L8Lit da croatianMC
05-28-2007, 05:04 PM
to me sampling is an essential part of hip hop.
sampling doesnt mean you cant be original or creative.

word! that's the truth people dont understand...

NY_Mami
05-28-2007, 05:28 PM
this was news in 1993

I was aware of that already......

Robert
05-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Seriously wtf is the point of this thread? You can't tell me chopping up samples and shit can't lead to original sounds......some beats sound so dissimilar to the original sample anyway.......

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Seriously wtf is the point of this thread? You can't tell me chopping up samples and shit can't lead to original sounds......some beats sound so dissimilar to the original sample anyway.......

ya man but still the producer dident FULLY create it,
i just dont like that imo . I dont see talent in that. Truthfully i got no respect for that.

Alex Kovalev
05-28-2007, 11:48 PM
i just dont like that imo . I dont see talent in that. Truthfully i got no respect for that.

Faggot.

The Hound
05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
if you didn't know 90% of RZA's beats involve samples :frusty:

Edgar Erebus
05-29-2007, 12:57 AM

Look, it is true if your name is Sean Combs and you take an instrumental of an old song and spit over it. Then it ain't original.

But if you act like Robert Diggs, on, let's say, "Rainy Dayz" (it has a sample, which is some 5 seconds long) then it is original. It is fucking hard to find a sample which matches the beat and your idea of song. Why is diggin' in the crates so respected among producers? Cause REALLY good producers seek some records that are forgotten, and then make some music of them - using few seconds of sample in each song. That is original.

And if you really wanna hear what can be done with samples, pick up any Public Enemy album.

INF
05-29-2007, 12:59 AM
ahahahaha! Best part of this shit was dude from blackdiamond saying "this was news in 93"

funny stuff.

Sampling sounds beautiful but so do original compositions.

I prefer to homemade grooves but it doesnt mean that I think sampling is killing hip-hop's originality.

Thread maker you must be new to hip-hop or something to ask a question like this based on what? 1 Jay-Z song and a Nas album. Oh yeah and let me not forget about how you couldnt tell if CREAM was a sample or not.

Jesus.

Edgar Erebus
05-29-2007, 01:00 AM
if you didn't know 90% of RZA's beats involve samples :frusty:

RZA differs from other sample-using producers because his beats involve 20-50% of samples. Others use 75%-90% or don't use samples at all.

Plus some legendary RZA beats (Protect Ya Neck, Da Mystery of Chessboxin, Unexplained, Wildflower) don't feature any sample.

Poetic Disciple
05-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Well you gonna be disappointed in alotta music. Because alotta shit in hip hop is sampled. I just roll with the get with or get lost saying.

The Hound
05-29-2007, 01:06 AM
RZA differs from other sample-using producers because his beats involve 20-50% of samples. Others use 75%-90% or don't use samples at all.

Plus some legendary RZA beats (Protect Ya Neck, Da Mystery of Chessboxin, Unexplained, Wildflower) don't feature any sample.
i didn't mean the entire beat was 90% sampled i meant like most of his beats have samples at some point

12weLvE
05-29-2007, 01:22 AM
To the thread starter:

Yo sampling has been a part of hip hop for decades man... Pretty much everybody does it...with exception of a few (the Neptunes or Scott Storch) but even they need a little influence from samples...for instance: Pharrel heres some nice sample and since he is instrumentaly talented he plays it over with a piano or whatever, same for Storch. I just got into producing (check my beats out a www.soundclick.com/twelvejewelz) and yo I started of by not sampling at all, but damn I realized that the more I kept playing my own stuff the more repetive it got. I know how to play the piano a little because I played it in High school, but other instruments such as the trumpet, horns and all that stuff I dont have time to learn how to play, so I sample. Sampling is actually an art, you should go into the Audio section and check out the beat battles and all the artist in there and how they flip the same sample and all the beats sound diffrent. Making a beat is really not as easy as it sound brother, theres a lot more to it than just looping a sample and putting some drums and bass on it. A lot of other things such as artistic creativity also goes into all of this.

PEace...

2L8Lit da croatianMC
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM

almost every good producers use samples... krs said we used to sample beats from James Brown... i know a few people who dont appreciate sampling like u, and i supose u dont know much about beatmaking...

IronFingaz7
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
It's hip-hop

P.E.A.C.E.

Scribbles
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
As in Nas' words - No Idea's Original....

As in my words - Music Breeds Music....

There wouldn't be hip hop if it wasn't for sampling homey.

WuGambino
05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Everybody is sampling shit
The whole hip hop world samples and samples.
fuken pathetic

the beat dead presidents was sampled. its like every beat is sampled.
wasent the whole illmatic sampled too?

Greatest thread ever.

Everything is sampled!!!
Even the Roots use samples and they have their own freakin band!