PDA

View Full Version : Why Hiphop sucks in 2007

Edgar Erebus
05-29-2007, 04:51 AM
I think I found the answer. Hyperproduction. Same reason why whole America went into shit eighty years ago.

Just look at this, last and this year were scary:

- mixtapes: Papoose put out 7 full 20-track mixtapes in the last 12 months, G-Unit did 'em 8, D-Block 6, Dipset at least 20.
- remixes: for example, Busta Rhymes' Touch It spawned 5 official remixes, Ridin' by Chamillionaire 6... Buy U a Drank by T-Pain 16. C'mon
- singles: Big Bang by Busta Rhymes made 5 singles, as much as Snoop's Blue Carpet Treatment. Kingdom Come made them seven (off an album with 15 tracks). Again, c'mon.
- delays: Detox, Curtis and OB4CL2. Nuff said.

And so on and so on. And despite that sales are low as fuck. So explain me that logic.

Peace.

RAMESH
05-29-2007, 05:41 AM
there is no need to venture out of the clan, there must be about 500 wu-tang cd's with 300 affiliates. i been collecting my whole life & i still know there is so much out there that i don't have so even though there might not be no new stuff coming out now (i'm sure there must be) i'm still trying to collect the old, i won't be satisfied until i got all of it

SID
05-29-2007, 06:13 AM
fuck buying CD,s even the WU! download it all!!!!!!!

The Hound
05-29-2007, 06:18 AM
I think I found the answer. Hyperproduction. Same reason why whole America went into shit eighty years ago.

Just look at this, last and this year were scary:

- mixtapes: Papoose put out 7 full 20-track mixtapes in the last 12 months, G-Unit did 'em 8, D-Block 6, Dipset at least 20.
- remixes: for example, Busta Rhymes' Touch It spawned 5 official remixes, Ridin' by Chamillionaire 6... Buy U a Drank by T-Pain 16. C'mon
- singles: Big Bang by Busta Rhymes made 5 singles, as much as Snoop's Blue Carpet Treatment. Kingdom Come made them seven (off an album with 15 tracks). Again, c'mon.
- delays: Detox, Curtis and OB4CL2. Nuff said.

And so on and so on. And despite that sales are low as fuck. So explain me that logic.

Peace.

papoose got over 250 songs out and hasnt dropped one album, figure that shit out ... i'm all for mixtapes and shit, but fuck thats just ridiculous

and i'm also getting annoyed at this trend of remixing the remix's remix

but, too many singles and delays have been happening since time began, anymore than 2/3 singles is just ridiculous

Bigot Hitman
05-29-2007, 07:20 AM
there is no need to venture out of the clan, there must be about 500 wu-tang cd's with 300 affiliates. i been collecting my whole life & i still know there is so much out there that i don't have so even though there might not be no new stuff coming out now (i'm sure there must be) i'm still trying to collect the old, i won't be satisfied until i got all of it

There's a big need to "venture out of the clan" if u love hip hop, 90% of the wu affiliates are trash and don't really even gotta tape out. I don't know how anybody could just listen to wu-tang, and thats it. I listen to south artists, mid west, west coast, and east. You must not have any variety if u just listen to the clan.

WuGambino
05-29-2007, 07:27 AM
There's a big need to "venture out of the clan" if u love hip hop, 90% of the wu affiliates are trash and don't really even gotta tape out. I don't know how anybody could just listen to wu-tang, and thats it. I listen to south artists, mid west, west coast, and east. You must not have any variety if u just listen to the clan.

Yeah, I couldn't even contemplate just listening to the Clan + affiliates. I mean, the Clan are great but there aren't many good/great affliates, not to mention what you'd be missing out on from outside. My list of top ten albums used to contain a lot of Wu-Tang stuff, but nowadays I'm into hip-hop as a whole so much more that the only Wu album I would say is in my personal top 10 is Liquid Swords. There's so much more out there...

And I agree with basically everything the OP said.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
05-29-2007, 07:49 AM

that's easier, but some people collect cd-s, i have respect 4 that...

RAMESH
05-29-2007, 08:08 AM
there is no need to venture out of the clan, it's cool to have a variety of shit but when it comes to listening to it, it's a diffrent story.i make my own mixtapes with the music that i got & 90% if not more will be wu-tang affiliated. i got a huge rap album collection with alot of good mc's & albums but wu-tang is my music of choice.

RAMESH
05-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I couldn't even contemplate just listening to the Clan + affiliates. I mean, the Clan are great but there aren't many good/great affliates, not to mention what you'd be missing out on from outside. My list of top ten albums used to contain a lot of Wu-Tang stuff, but nowadays I'm into hip-hop as a whole so much more that the only Wu album I would say is in my personal top 10 is Liquid Swords. There's so much more out there...

do you own all the wu affiliated albums?

SaqurakiHanamichi
05-29-2007, 08:55 AM

its all about collection
and when u dl something of the internet its rare if it has the same sound quality as the cd
Yes thats right lets say u dl of the net its gonna have 192 kbps , Cause it was burned at 192 kbps, But when u play a cd it has 320kbps ,

-IrOnBuLL-
05-29-2007, 09:45 AM
a remix iz a remix
a mixtape iz a mixtape
a single iz a single

but to some artist yeah i would like to hear some
makin a debut album or make a independent album or somethin.
but even if thei make an album it'll take 'em forever for them to drop

WuGambino
05-29-2007, 09:52 AM
there is no need to venture out of the clan, it's cool to have a variety of shit but when it comes to listening to it, it's a diffrent story.i make my own mixtapes with the music that i got & 90% if not more will be wu-tang affiliated. i got a huge rap album collection with alot of good mc's & albums but wu-tang is my music of choice.

do you own all the wu affiliated albums?Nope, but I have heard enough to wholeheartedly disagree with the statement "there is no need to venture out of the clan".

youngdeck01
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
when i talk about this to my friends they jus assume i dont kno shit kuz i hate jus about everything on the radio. But, aside from underground hiphop or good rappers that are big, every other thing you hear on the radio is the same. Its a stupid rap, especially the chorus, that makes no sense(This is why Im hot for example) and they sometimes have decent beats, but they also have a stupid fuckin dance with them.
The thing that bothers me the most is that these "rappers" suck at rapping, and their raps repeat themselves every song they do, yet get credited as good rappers.

RAMESH
05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Nope, but I have heard enough to wholeheartedly disagree with the statement "there is no need to venture out of the clan".
what is the last 20 cd's you have been listening to or 20 tracks have you used on your last mix tape you made yourself for intrest sake?

whitey
05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
spend all this time collecting cds, shit will be absolete in a couple years. they complain albums sales are going down, thats just the trend. look at all that shit, atrek, records, tapes...cds is just next thing to go.

12weLvE
05-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Lets see what I have bought for 07... Cilvaringz, Wisemen, Hell Razah, Wu-Tang and Friends, Afro Samurai, Redmans' Red Gone Wild, Mos Def True Magic, and thats pretty much it...Hip Hop is sucking balls this year...PEace

SWAMP WATER
05-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Stop being cheap and buy yo shit from da store!

baritone
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM
imma start my collection soon as a nigga come up, but
Times Is Hard On The Boulevard

junius
05-29-2007, 01:20 PM
good original post; short answer: it's fucking retarded and almost nobody is thinking long-term. i don't listen to it anymore but compare hip-hop to the ** THRIVING ** indie rock biz, in all its different genres. now granted, there is more range there too but too many hip-hop guys are

1) being fucked over by big labels
2) fucking themselves with this 'ghetto' mixtape mentality

the Papoose thing is beyond absurd already too.

tho' downloading has messed things up, if you ** make a nice product (quality music/quality package, not some stupid two page booklet)... a goodly # of people will buy it. why spend $12-16 for something that is hardly better than the dowload except some tedious thank yous to Allah & mom?

the other difference is hip-hop dudes can't really tour for the same $$$ as rock & others bands (a few can but they're a minority) so they try to make it up elsewhere but really, who gets $$$ off the mixtapes? i pay $5 a pop for 'em on the street (Nas, Mobb Deep, Papoose), figure my dealer pays half that... it's a goddamn puzzle.

full_clip
05-29-2007, 01:55 PM

yes, thank you, thats exactly what i would say..

i'm collecting for years now..and still don't know every affiliate...thats drivin me mad crazy..but i like it..

full_clip
05-29-2007, 01:58 PM

i also listen to many different styles of hiphop..., but wu is still sth special..thats what i knew since i was a shorty..and thats what brought me to hiphop..

full_clip
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Lets see what I have bought for 07... Cilvaringz, Wisemen, Hell Razah, Wu-Tang and Friends, Afro Samurai, Redmans' Red Gone Wild, Mos Def True Magic, and thats pretty much it...Hip Hop is sucking balls this year...PEace

in my opinion 07 totally rocks, but some of the guys here are just to blind and dumb to recognize that. c'mon, mos dropped his last joint a while ago.., also i have been waiting for red gone wild since two years, because in the booklet of tical 0: the prequel, it said that red gone wild is coming out 2005..
I by cilvaringz kicks ass..sean price's joint also..Dilated also drop some new this year..eMC..also...a long list..

get informated!!! and pleeease stop hatin..just enjoy yaselfs on what is comin out, instead of whinin..i mean, its good that there isnt too much comin out..so that we all can look forward to sth. thats what i do, i love hiphop so much, and i appreciate every good joint that's comin out, or a joint of one of my fav mcs thats gonna be released. i mean, hiphop is such a strong part of my life...and you weren't here if it wouldn't be one of yours, too. so fuck it, i'ma be glad with everything new, even if it's insufficient..what counts is the music and not the quantity!

PEACE & keep the love for hiphop

(please dont hate on this reply..i tried to express my emotions a lil bit)

WuGambino
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
what is the last 20 cd's you have been listening to or 20 tracks have you used on your last mix tape you made yourself for intrest sake?

The stuff in my recently played playlist on iTunes:

-The New Kanye Mixtape
-DJ Shadow - The Outsider
-Black Sheep - 8wn/Novakane and A Wolf In Sheeps Clothing
-Aim - Flight 602
-J Dilla - The Shining
-Madlib - The Beat Konducta: Vol. 1-2
-Mos Def - True Magic
-Common - The People, The Game etc.
-There's a few Ice T songs I gave a spin for a change
-Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
-J-Live - The Hear After
-Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
-9th Wonder -Black Is Back (Black album remix)
-Gang Starr - Daily Operation & Full Clip

In the last 150 songs it says I have played there are only 2 Wu-Tang songs... 3 if you count R.A. The Ruggedman

I wouldn't say that the Wu-Tang catalogue wasn't enough to contain me if I didn't mean it. Don't get me wrong I love the Wu but they aren't the be all and end all for me.

12weLvE
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I just bought Brother Alis new joint...I am gonna peep it right now.

TAURO
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
People I would recommend:

Marco Polo: Port Authority
DJ Jazzy Jeff: Return of the Magnificent

These albums just came out and they are fucking dope, they are getting constant spins at my house. Marco Polo has all that classic boom bap rap while Jazzy Jeff's album carrries those smooth hip hop grooves, both these albums bring that real hip hop and not that watered down shit.

Poetic Disciple
05-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Yaw i agree with you on the remix thang. It seems like almost every single that comes out gotta remix. I'll list songs that have had remixes released: Walk It Out, 2 Step, Throw Some D's, We Takin Over, Its Me Bitches, This Is Why Im Hot, Doe Boy Fresh, Last Night, Not A Criminal, Go Getta, How Do I Breathe, & etc.

RAMESH
05-30-2007, 06:40 AM
The stuff in my recently played playlist on iTunes:

-The New Kanye Mixtape
-DJ Shadow - The Outsider
-Black Sheep - 8wn/Novakane and A Wolf In Sheeps Clothing
-Aim - Flight 602
-J Dilla - The Shining
-Madlib - The Beat Konducta: Vol. 1-2
-Mos Def - True Magic
-Common - The People, The Game etc.
-There's a few Ice T songs I gave a spin for a change
-Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
-J-Live - The Hear After
-Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
-9th Wonder -Black Is Back (Black album remix)
-Gang Starr - Daily Operation & Full Clip

In the last 150 songs it says I have played there are only 2 Wu-Tang songs... 3 if you count R.A. The Ruggedman

I wouldn't say that the Wu-Tang catalogue wasn't enough to contain me if I didn't mean it. Don't get me wrong I love the Wu but they aren't the be all and end all for me.
you haven't got a bad taste in hip hop this shit you listen to is alright. i must say i'm quite suprised to see a teenager listen to what you do but you should check out more wu artists you won't be dissapointed

Longbongcilvaringz
05-30-2007, 07:24 AM
totally agree with slim t.

there an over exposure of artists, and they become stale way to quickly.

and i agree with wugambino, how someone can jsut listen to wu surprises me.

there are maybe 10/15 wu classic album, give or take, and there are probably more than 1000 classic hip hop album. add to that all the other genres of music....and your missing out on so much great music.

as a music fan in general i cant just listen to wu, its being narrow minded and means missing out on all the other amazing and better music that is out there.

ive purchased one album this year: Sean Price - Jesus Price

nothing else has really interested me, i downloaded some stuff which was pretty average.

im still hopeful, and i keep an eye out for releases that look good, its just that its hard to pick the good stuff out of the over saturation of poor hip hop coming out constantly.

WuGambino
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
you haven't got a bad taste in hip hop this shit you listen to is alright. i must say i'm quite suprised to see a teenager listen to what you do but you should check out more wu artists you won't be dissapointed
Yeah I only have one friend who has a similar taste in music to me, and I see what you're saying, but since I'm only 17 there's so much other stuff for me to catch up on before I wanna get into all the Wu Fam etc, there are definately a few Fam members I mean to check out though.

And co-sign to whoever said the Jazzy Jeff album is good. But I think the thread is more of an example of why mainstream hip-hop fails compared to more underground stuff, to me there's loads of good suff coming out that's not in the spotlight

THE W
05-31-2007, 10:38 AM

and if everyone did this consistantly for 5 years the music industry would cease to exist.

davedigital360
05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
I say the more singles off an album the better. too many songs from an album that dont have a video should have a video.

Polocash7
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
in my opinion 07 totally rocks, but some of the guys here are just to blind and dumb to recognize that. c'mon, mos dropped his last joint a while ago.., also i have been waiting for red gone wild since two years, because in the booklet of tical 0: the prequel, it said that red gone wild is coming out 2005..
I by cilvaringz kicks ass..sean price's joint also..Dilated also drop some new this year..eMC..also...a long list..

get informated!!! and pleeease stop hatin..just enjoy yaselfs on what is comin out, instead of whinin..i mean, its good that there isnt too much comin out..so that we all can look forward to sth. thats what i do, i love hiphop so much, and i appreciate every good joint that's comin out, or a joint of one of my fav mcs thats gonna be released. i mean, hiphop is such a strong part of my life...and you weren't here if it wouldn't be one of yours, too. so fuck it, i'ma be glad with everything new, even if it's insufficient..what counts is the music and not the quantity!

PEACE & keep the love for hiphop

(please dont hate on this reply..i tried to express my emotions a lil bit)I c/s this. There's plenty of good hip hop out there. U just have to get on the grind to find it. True,it's harder to find it if u don't live in a major city(like NY,LA,Chi,etc) but there's sites where u can buy it(Sandbox.com). It's all 'bout how bad u wanna find it

Prolifical ENG
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Good. I have enough CDs. Now I don't need to buy anymore. Now I get to save money.

But when u play a cd it has 320kbps

Actually, more than that...especially a high quality one that recently came out.