PDA

View Full Version : Pharoahe Monch - Desire

irish ins
05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
Not going to lie i was goin to buy this album couldn't wait..... def worth it!!!!
alot of the tracks have leaked but when you listen to the album each track still remains fresh despite the fact i raped my ears playing Desire (the track.)
anyway classic monch def 4.5 /5 gotta give this more time to seep in.

01. Intro 00:33 - nice soulful intro
02. Free 03:35 - guitar based track nice opener for the album 5/5
03. Desire (Ft. Showtime) 03:32 - 5/5 classic shit
04. Push (Ft. Showtime, Mela Machinko, Tower Of Power) 02:52 - didn't like this when i first heard it too much but fits in with the album and lovin it now 4/5
05. Welcome To The Terrordome 03:31- nice old school feel 4.5/5
06. What It Is 02:56 - dark track 4.5/5
07. When The Gun Draws (Ft. Mr. Porter) 03:17 great concept track 4/5
08. Let's Go (Ft. Mela Machinko) 04:17 5/5 lovin it brilliant skit at the end really adds to flow of the album
09. Body Baby 03:19- hated it before but after the build up with the skit it flows really well with the album 4/5
10. Bar Trap (Ft. Mela Machinko) 03:08- 5/5 same sample as Gangstarr " Betrayal" brilliant
11. Hold On (Ft. Erykah Badu) 03:50- 5/5 lovin this track
12. So Good 03:15 real slow track nice soulful sounds like something Common should remix
13. Trilogy (Act 1 Ft. Mr. Porter, Act 2 Ft. Dwele, Act 3 Ft. Tone) 09:25 5/5 an epic story telling track from Monch nice switch of beats from Porter
14. Agent Orange (UK Bonus Track) 03:44 5/5 classic hip-hop track

fortyglock
07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Agree with the above review. This album is a very good example that shows quantity does not equal quality. No weak rhymes at all here, and production is real soulful. This album is def one of the best ones to come out this millenium. It has been in constant rotation and ive never skipped a track yet, after coppin it a couple weeks ago.

RynMur
07-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Great Album.
Overall Grade: (4.3/5) A-
3 Fav Tracks: Free, Desire, Hold On

HarlemDiplomat
07-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Man I didn't like the production and thus making majority of the album unlistenable. There are 2 possibly 3 good songs on it overall. P. Monch could've came better on this one.

2.5/10

Visionz
07-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Man I didn't like the production and thus making majority of the album unlistenable. There are 2 possibly 3 good songs on it overall. P. Monch could've came better on this one.

2.5/10c'mon a 2.5 outta 10??? I can understand why u wouldn't like the production (though I enjoyed the soulful feel and thought they balanced the music with the lyrics quite nicely) but even so he never takes a track off lyrically and is on-point thru the entire album. Doesn't that atleast get him a 5 outta 10??

"Its like Star Wars only the Stars die
There is no sequel,
Beat three cases, C 3 PO's<----------haha love the word play there an the albums full of 'em

I know its just oppinions and all but I think you're judging maybe a lil too harsh. Defintely recommend trying to listen to it a couple of more times and see if those beats don't grow on you......just a thought

HarlemDiplomat
07-13-2007, 02:49 AM
c'mon a 2.5 outta 10??? I can understand why u wouldn't like the production (though I enjoyed the soulful feel and thought they balanced the music with the lyrics quite nicely) but even so he never takes a track off lyrically and is on-point thru the entire album. Doesn't that atleast get him a 5 outta 10??

"Its like Star Wars only the Stars die
There is no sequel,
Beat three cases, C 3 PO's<----------haha love the word play there an the albums full of 'em

I know its just oppinions and all but I think you're judging maybe a lil too harsh. Defintely recommend trying to listen to it a couple of more times and see if those beats don't grow on you......just a thought

Yeah I feel you. Perhaps I didn't give the production a chance to grow on me.

And to be honest I'm just judging off 1 straight listen and I skipped a few tracks after the first min.

So yeah, I should reconsider.... I'll get back after I give it some time to breath.

hide1998
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I did a funny thing today. After listening to this CD so much I went through my CD cases to dig up Infernal Affairs (It was actually dusty), and popped that into my stereo system after just hearing Desire. Surprisingly enough, and I know basically no one will agree with me, I was feeling Desire as a full album more than his out of print solo debut CD. Just something about the feel of the album, in addition to him staying on point lyrically from beginning to end, great concepts throughout, that I'm feelin' more than his IA (although, that album was still flames).

hide1998
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
On a sidenote, I bumped the first two Organized Konfusion CDs after I popped in Infernal Affairs and I was feelin' those quite a bit more than Desire (unsurprisingly enough).

I wish I owned Equinox on CD.

fortyglock
07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow, u really feel that way bout desire compared to internal affairs? Well I havent heard the whole of internal affairs, but judging from what people have said before I felt IA would be the overall better album. I agree with u on the fact that Desire is really cohesive, since no track feels out of place. It was a brilliant effort by Monch

hide1998
07-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow, u really feel that way bout desire compared to internal affairs? Well I havent heard the whole of internal affairs, but judging from what people have said before I felt IA would be the overall better album. I agree with u on the fact that Desire is really cohesive, since no track feels out of place. It was a brilliant effort by Monch

Yeah, I really feel that way about IA. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy the album and it's WAY better than most albums that get released in general, but it doesn't feel as focused as Desire to me after close examination. Furthermore, there are maybe 2 tracks on that album I'm not entirely into (I feel they're decent, but forgettable). But I don't feel that way about any tracks on Desire.

It's just opinions though. Most on here will disagree and prefer the harder, more mainstream, Monch effort found in Infernal Affairs (Although, I still say the first two Organized Konfusion albums are easily better in my opinion). Both are tight either way in my book. Too bad Infernal is out of print. Glad I bought mine when I did.

fortyglock
07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah your lucky you own a copy of IA, unfortunately I don't own a copy. I agree with you that Desire is really focused and that there are no forgettable tracks, all the tracks are worth hearing and none worth skipping.

Chungsanity
07-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Internal Affairs is a classic, but wow what a turnoff desire made. Desire is so average it's ridiculous. I really wanted to like it but it I just could not. what a disappointment. I dont understand why it's getting enough praise.

Visionz
07-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Internal Affairs is a classic, but wow what a turnoff desire made. Desire is so average it's ridiculous. I really wanted to like it but it I just could not. what a disappointment. I dont understand why it's getting enough praise.average in what way?

hide1998
07-14-2007, 03:43 AM
Desire definitely isn't average. Monch's wordplay alone keeps it from being that. In addition to his advanced wordplay, conceptually it's better than most albums, and production-wise it's better than a lot releases that have dropped.

It's not an album that you can "get" as quickly as Infernal Affairs (which might be why I kind of prefer Desire over it), so it makes sense why so many prefer IA. But in no stretch of the imagination, ESPECIALLY in this day of hip-hop, is Desire average.

Chungsanity
07-14-2007, 08:05 AM
maybe because I'm too used to 90's gritty sound such as the infamous, illmatic, illadelph halflife, and even organized konfusion's stress. then when I listen to new albums like this, I just can't get into it. I just listened to the whole album again and I gotta admit he was lyrically on point as usual. however some of the beats are unbearable. it sounds like a crazy punk rock band came into the studio and laced him with annoying beats. I hope the album grows on me anyway.

hide1998
07-14-2007, 09:20 AM
it sounds like a crazy punk rock band came into the studio and laced him with annoying beats.

What "crazy punk rock band" makes beats that sound anything remotely close to this soul laced album???

Chungsanity
07-14-2007, 10:05 AM
soul laced? are you forgetting half of the songs were laced with annoying hi hats? also the album was fill with too much singy songy shit. that's not my type of hiphop, where there's stupid little skits and soul singers. fuck that. this album gets a 7/10. nothing more, nothing less.

RynMur
07-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Punk??? Didn't sound like any punk to me, just a few guitar backgrounds.

ShaDynasty
07-15-2007, 12:02 PM
im definetly gonna cop this, despite the fact i didnt like the majority of beats on internal affairs, monch is a dope lyricist since 91 and it'll be cool to hear him spit after such a long time away.

ShaDynasty
08-18-2007, 12:17 PM
This is a very good album, lyric wise its not as good as internal affairs, but the production is all good, theres no wack beats on there, and its refreshing to hear a lyricist of his calibre. I give the album a 9/10 cos it could have been better.

GhettoGnom
08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
9/10

Real solid. I like every song in it's own way.

DJMethods
08-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Just given this a listen (downloaded the other day), dunno how you can hate on the beats. Loved the "welcome to the terrordome" remake, that was dope. Pharoahe is one of the best ever on the mic, gets overlooked waaay too often. Guess a lot of people dont get a lot he says? I dont get it a lot of times either.

Cant wait to buy this one.

Dr Sleepwalker
08-25-2007, 03:34 PM
albums dope as fuck..

i dun think headz are listenin' to the same album i am...

easily a 9/10 album..

pea2e

Maxxx Millisecondz
09-05-2007, 02:21 AM
when i first started listening to it, the first two tracks i felt were just aight. then after his remake of Welcome to the Terrordome, it starts to pick up for me. Overall, i really like it. That Trilogy track is great. I was rolling at that part where he gave the guy with duct tape over his mouth dialogue. "i switched the gun into my right hand, the sweat accumulated on his forehead, i saw red, he said *muffled screams*!!!" it's definitely no Internal Affairs or Organized Konfusion, but i enjoyed it.

Marc051
09-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Quite a dissapointment. I expected the album to have a harder edge to it.

TAURO
09-09-2007, 07:57 AM
This album is a little bit too soft for it's own good.

Definitive X
10-19-2007, 12:05 AM
ILL! The track with Erykah can go. Other than that, the shit's flames!

Acromadic
12-27-2007, 12:56 AM
IN MY OPINION, best album to be released in 2007. Production was mad refreshing. He is still a lyrical beast. The soulful sounds play in perfect with the song concepts and Pharoahe's energetic flow. Love this shit. I gotta give this masterpiece 10/10.

I remember watching him perform Free and Let's Go at Rock the Bells (miami), tore that shit up.

hide1998
12-28-2007, 02:47 AM
This was one of the best hip-hop albums of 2007 (it's in my top 10 of the year). Although I still enjoy Infernal Affairs, this album was more consistent in my opinion. Every track felt like it served a real purpose, and most of it didn't sound like most of what gets dropped. It really came across like an album that Monch had full control over, and artistically he peaked higher than he ever has as a solo artist.

hehsy5sy5
01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
I feel that this album is weaker and softer than "internal affairs". his previous album was much rawer and harder, but still, good album.

drippie k
01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
doesnt even come close to internal affairs...ive prolly played the cd like 3 times since i got it