PDA

View Full Version : Pharoahe Monch - Desire

xHard to Earnx
06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
So it leaked, and upon first listen, it's pretty good. Anyone else grab it?

xHard to Earnx
06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Also, if your version of Free doesn't fuck up at like 2:43, could you upload it?

xHard to Earnx
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=10632

Kiddies, I know many of you were in the womb when Organized Konfusion dropped and in grade school when Internal Affairs did so check a quick primer on one of the greatest rappers of all time before reading this. To you grown folks, feel free to jump right in.

To discuss Desire we must first explain what it’s not.

It’s not is his never released sophomore LP Inner Vision. Around it’s 2002ish recording he was performing and leaking a lot of material - “Agent Orange,” the Just Blaze produced “Ghetto,” the Dillaesque “On The Black Hand Side,” the “Somewhere between ‘Soul on Ice’ and ‘Soul By The Pound” track - and none of it appears here, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe someone can leak all that shit to the internet already.

Thankfully, it’s also not his Love Below, either. The one versed lead single, “Push” had some fans concerned that the poetical poltergeist was throwing in his rap towel. Relax. There is plenty of rapping on this album.

But this is definitely not the Pharoahe Monchichi of the Organized Konfusion era. Aside from the punch-in heavy and sort of unnecessary “Welcome To The Terrordome” cover, the days of Pharoahe Monch as fast rap massacrer have long since passed. If you’re expecting “Prisoners of War Pt. 2,” you might have to look elsewhere. In the place of his verbal assault weapon flow are intricately constructed and over enunciated cadences. No less virtuosic, but perhaps less showboaty. He hinted at this direction on The Equinox, Organized Konfusion’s overly ambitious swan song, but was back to full time tongue twisting on Internal Affairs.

Though housed in a dark facade, Desire is, at it’s core, a very traditionalist mid school battle rap/word play album. There are no rapping guests (yes!) and the production is consistent but never memorable, just giving enough room for the Monch to breathe. Over the first 25 minutes of the record he uses this space to attempt to build some vague overriding social commentary, discussing the same sort of secret society paranoia he’s been spitting his whole career. Grass knoll theories, virus infused condoms and Wachovia bank surveillance techniques are all part of his design. But he falters in sticking to traditional battle rap methodology, just rattling these weighty ideas off indiscriminately next to jokey one liners like “my pen is the penis, when i write the ink is the sperm.” Then again, most rap conspiracy theorists have never been much more than the thinking man’s battle rappers anyway. The invisible battle rap enemy is just one step removed from the invisible Illuminatus foe (the same could be said for the invisible Feds and invisible rival drug dealers, for that matter, but I guess that’s a discussion for another day). It’s about posturing, on at least one level.

In that sense, Monch is the last cipher rat standing and there’s something sort of endearing about this. I certainly didn’t think I would be hearing a “…like John Ritter” line on a major label in 2007, unless he had a Coke habit or something. Sure ,every mention of The Matrix is a cringeworthy offense, but, it is Pharoahe fucking Monch we’re talking about. His metaphors are origami fortune tellers, with ideas unfolding very slowly, revealing themselves across several bars. If he had stayed on (non) topic it could’ve been a very interesting full length exploration of the form.

But, either due to a misconstruction of a conceptual arc or a transparent motion for the Okayplayer market, the tone shifts dramatically for the final 2/3rds through the record. First with the spastic Gnarls Barkley inspired “Body Baby” and then with a trio of uneventful love songs. As I might have mentioned before, it’s Pharoahe Fucking Monch, so there’s no shortage of great rapping on these songs, but they do make for a jarring shift in tone. Especially when he abruptly brings it back to darker terrain, closing out the album with “Trilogy,” a first person murder ballad in three parts that accounts for almost 10 of the album’s slim 47 minutes. It probably could’ve been cut down to half that length had they dropped all the wispy Estheroian singing.

One of the biggest problems with the rap industry right now is that there are too many cooks in the studio kitchen and it’s commendable that SRC really let Monch do him with this album, working with a core of producers and not ever forcing a single. It would’ve been ideal had he used that freedom a little less recklessly, but it’s mostly just nice to hear him rapping again. I anxiously await the 2015 follow up.

Crackspace
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
it didnt leak yet

xHard to Earnx
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes it did. That's why there's a review up there. That's why there's one on http://www.byroncrawford.com . That's why I've listened to it like four times.

And I can now say that the first 8 songs are pretty good, everything after sucks.

smashbrother
06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
i dont steal music.

SaqurakiHanamichi
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
i know hard to earn hasent bought a album in years.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
im probably gonna go out & cop this just for the sake of it because i haven't brought anything newly released in a minute, just been catching up on old releases

xHard to Earnx
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
i know hard to earn hasent bought a album in years.

I bought Kingdom Come and Hell Hath No Fury.

So whatever.

xHard to Earnx
06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
i dont steal music.

Technically, it's not stealing. And you could always buy it afterwards.

SaqurakiHanamichi
06-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I bought Kingdom Come and Hell Hath No Fury.

So whatever.

did u ever buy a wu album in ur life?

xHard to Earnx
06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
I preordered Fishscale. I own Liquid Swords and OB4CL. Probably some other junk. Why?

Jim Kelly
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Album is sick. I think it's cool that he tried to do something a little different and it works for Monch.

When my brain excels, your train derails/
Pop shit, make you feel the Clipse' like Pharrell/

xHard to Earnx
06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
did u ever buy a wu album in ur life?

Looks like more than you.

Ok here we go ..

THe only wu tang cds i ever bought was the 2 dj mathematics cds....
Thats it

I have heard almost all of wu tang . And i still dident buy the albums..

SO i go outside today , I walk inside the record store, I see bronze nazareth and i got mad happy, I copped that shit and The masta killa Made in brooklyn album.
Im not even gonna open them . Im gonna make a collection.

This week and next week
Im gonna try to get
Ironman
Liquid Swords
Only built for cuban linx
The Pillage
Supreme Clientele

Im gonna get all the classics

yea i feel like a piece of shit cause i call myself a true wu tang fan and i havent even bought all their albums thats fuken sad. And i know there are some pieces of shits here too......But hey im not gonna be a piece of shit anymore , Im gonna cop all their shit I GOTTA SUPPORT MAN!!!!

oDoUoSoKo
06-10-2007, 12:25 PM
damn bro....PWN'ingly PWN'd Via PWNacity.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
06-10-2007, 07:22 PM
lmao

Prolifical ENG
06-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, a few more days until in comes out. I forgot all about this until I was in the HMV megastore downtown and seen a huge poster of the album cover in the urban department.

I haven't heard anything bad about it...im going to sample it today and hopefully scoop it in a few days.

xHard to Earnx
06-24-2007, 08:55 PM
The last third sucks.

Other than that, have fun.

djskillz
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Also, if your version of Free doesn't fuck up at like 2:43, could you upload it?

it's supposed to fuck up. his lyrics say "when i spit, it normally causes a glitch in the matrix" and it starts skipping for a few seconds.

Crackspace
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
omg u guys are idiots,u dled the advance,not the actual full album...the group rip hasnt leaked yet

xHard to Earnx
06-24-2007, 10:51 PM
omg u guys are idiots,u dled the advance,not the actual full album...the group rip hasnt leaked yet

It's the full record, numbnuts.

it's supposed to fuck up. his lyrics say "when i spit, it normally causes a glitch in the matrix" and it starts skipping for a few seconds.

I figured, but it sounded like it screwed up too much.

RavenZwei
06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
It's the full record, numbnuts.

I figured, but it sounded like it screwed up too much.

I thought the same thing too the first time I listened through it. I listened to it again and caught the Matrix reference.

Anyways, I am enjoying the album. Been a Monch for a minute now. Had the Organized Konfusion tapes and I played the hell (still do) out of Internal Affairs. Can't wait to cope it when it finally drops.

Crackspace
06-25-2007, 01:19 AM
the new mixtape the twelfth dynasty is hot

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3200/00pharoahemonchthetwelfxs9.jpg

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
ima get the album when it comes out. from wat i've heard so far, its dope!

Prolifical ENG
06-25-2007, 11:40 AM
That tracklist looks better in gambino's release thread than the advance has. Of course there are some tracks I like better than others....the "official" sequence looks better.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
i cannot wait to get this album this week man this shit sounds like its gonna be off the hook man damn every review of this album has been positive but i hate sometimes XXL is too harsh on the good music and weak on the crappy music its like wtf man