PDA

View Full Version : Premier's Beats were wasted on Guru

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Premo has deserved better than Guru over the years. Just look at "The Ownerz". If those beats had Nas all over them youre looking at a modern classic. Guru has been alllllright, sometimes he drops fire (i cant think when though), but 99% he sounds exactly the same, same flow, same voice, same content. His flow isnt even that great.

benzo
06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
yep..

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
06-14-2007, 09:45 AM
hmmmm..

SaqurakiHanamichi
06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
lol i sadly agree

cap
06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
i guess people are waking up,this thread comes around every now and then.
yeah guru is a mediocre mc at best,he has dropped some gems,but his wack shit outweighs them.
been saying this for a while now...

Robert
06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Get tha fuck outta here!!!!! I can't believe anyone is agreeing with this.......

G.U.R.U has always had insightful lyrics i guess a lot of people aint listening right

WuGambino
06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Get tha fuck outta here!!!!! I can't believe anyone is agreeing with this.......

G.U.R.U has always had insightful lyrics i guess a lot of people aint listening right

Damn right. The Ownerz was wack, yes, but aside from that I think Guru's lyrics have always been solid. And alot of the time he's actually had something good to say in his music, other than "I'm the best".

Gangstarr is a classic group, and NOT just because of Premo.

P-Noid Brown
06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Im Not Gonna Say If I Agree Or Disagree... But The Album Was A Dope Album. Although, Guru May Not Be The Strongest Emcee... He's Definitely Worth Listening To Rather Than Most Artists. Premo And Nas Were Supposed To Been Do An Album Together. The Only Thing I Can Say Is At Least We Were Graced With Such Good Hip-hop. Because If Guru Didn't Ripp Who Knows Who Woulda Had The Track And Or If It Would Have Ever Came Out. I Love Me Some Guru. Though I Would Rather Hear Nas Than Any Emcee Over A Premo Beat All We Can Do Is Be Greatful Of What Has Been Released To Us. Much Love To All The Real Hip-hop Enthusiasts Left.. Peace And Blessings.

J.T.S.
06-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Im Not Gonna Say If I Agree Or Disagree... But The Album Was A Dope Album. Although, Guru May Not Be The Strongest Emcee... He's Definitely Worth Listening To Rather Than Most Artists. Premo And Nas Were Supposed To Been Do An Album Together. The Only Thing I Can Say Is At Least We Were Graced With Such Good Hip-hop. Because If Guru Didn't Ripp Who Knows Who Woulda Had The Track And Or If It Would Have Ever Came Out. I Love Me Some Guru. Though I Would Rather Hear Nas Than Any Emcee Over A Premo Beat All We Can Do Is Be Greatful Of What Has Been Released To Us. Much Love To All The Real Hip-hop Enthusiasts Left.. Peace And Blessings.

Mos def agree wit P.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Guru was dope up until Hard to Earn imo, but hes never been a top 20 or even 50 mc for me.

just imagine what those albums would have been like with another mc, like somone said it could be nas over those beats etc.

gangstarr shit is still good, i prefer their first 3 albums though.

J-Ronin
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
fuck what you heard! Moment of Truth is a classic too! Guru is underated

WuGambino
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Just To get A Rep = one of the greatest songs of all time

Durag
06-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Guru is brilliant on monent of truth. Insightful, tought provoking lyrics. He def isnt in the top 20 or 50 or whatever, but i always thought his style of rapping suited premo perfectly

mofo
06-14-2007, 02:30 PM
No. A real waste of premo's beats was Group Home. But don't put Guru into that bullshit where he wasted Premo's beat.

xHard to Earnx
06-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Gang Starr as a group were perfect. Guru anywhere else? I don't think so. He's not terrible by any means, but for anyone to think of him as being a great rapper is kinda just flat out wrong.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
06-14-2007, 03:47 PM
well to say someone like nas would have been better is highly possible but only speculation - lets take a reality check

if nas only stuck with premo for beats he would have never blown up like he did, he wanted to drop an album like it was written and go that route after illmatic

the fact that guru isnt top 20 is because there is only 20 of billions! it is unlikely that any of those 20 would have had the chemistry and close bond with premo to make as many classics as guru did. To say that gangstarr hasn't been the most consistent duo in hip hop is bullshit

if guru was any different to what he is then premo wouldn't have half of the career he did - its the same as bitching over cl smooth not being top 20 of all time

The_SZAs
06-14-2007, 04:23 PM
have any of you heard that mix Premo did with Nas,GZA,Common and MosDef?
4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

Come Honor Face
06-14-2007, 05:01 PM
have any of you heard that mix Premo did with Nas,GZA,Common and MosDef?
4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

4 real? I dont think so. What was it on?

ShaDynasty
06-14-2007, 05:13 PM
the person who started this thread deserves to have Guru fart on his head

Guru is one of the best rappers of all time. period.

Come Honor Face
06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
the person who started this thread deserves to have Guru fart on his head

Guru is one of the best rappers of all time. period.

LOL Agreed.

DJ Ponderosa
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
i would have to disagree. guru is one of the most consistent rappers, his style and voice are perfectly suited for premo's beats, and they have great chemistry imo. that being said, i think nas would sound great over most of the gangstarr beats, but that's not the way it worked out. if anything some of premo's best beats were wasted on the group home, who are only listenable because of the amazing premo production.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-14-2007, 06:04 PM

definately agree wit this cat right here

Razorsharp
06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
i dony think ur opinion is well thought out... i think you are jus putting your favorite artist against guru because you yourself see him as mediocre... Guru is dope... i dont think their could be a better duo... jus sad that they aint makin hits together anymore

Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal

Bigot Hitman
06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I think Guru is a good writer in the sense that he always gets his points across, with a couple clever lines every once in a while, but sumtimes i rather listen to him over dukes like ghostface who are considered better, because i can comprehend exactly what he's sayin' all the time, but i can't even feel what ghost, MK, Cappa, and other's are sayin. I'd rather have guru over alot mc's becuase he knows how to write songs with topics, and get his points across.

renagade410
06-14-2007, 07:16 PM
no doubt guru and premo are a good duo BUT i would much rather hear jeru the damaja on a premo beat....nas on a premo beat or royce on a premo beat

lips
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
guru is a legend. buggin'?

"my lineage is large, my pilgrimage was hard/
but i held down my square, my images of god"/-guru

Come Honor Face
06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
LOL wastin beats on Guru? LOL

whitey
06-14-2007, 09:06 PM
no wasting going on. just wish premo made some more primo only albums with other artists like nas, ect.

i really wish someone else rapped on solilique of caos though, that is one of the illest beats ive ever heard and guru didnt really bring it on that track.

deadlymelody
06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Shutup. Guru and Premier helped cultivate that true "hip-hop" sound. Guru is a classic kind of MC.

Soliliquey of Chaos is brilliant. The story goes along with the title very nicely.

DJMethods
06-15-2007, 05:41 AM
"They might say we're a menace to society
But at the same time I say "Why is it me?"
Am I the target, for destruction?
What about the system, and total corruption?"

Guru is dope as fuck, took me a while to get into him... but he more then holds his own. Nas annoys me now, he MIGHT be able to carry multiple albums of Premo beats - But he might fuck them up. FACT: Guru has held multiple albums of Premo beats.

Edgar Erebus
06-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Okay, let's be fair and say Guru is above average. He ain't wack by any means, but he also ain't great. Best shown on "I'm the Man" - I rarely saw main artist so badly outshined by his guests.

Positive thing: Premo's beats always work perfectly with him. That's why GangStarr is a top 10 group IMO.

Robert
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
What is good about Guru and i think alot of you cats are missing is that the simplicity of his rhymes can express some powerful points....

But at the same time I say 'Why is it me?'
-Code of The Streets

"Cause MC's have used up extended warranties
While real MC's and DJ's are a minority"
-U Know My Steez

"Cause I be kickin the real.....
While they be losin the race tryin to chase mass appeal"
-Mass Appeal

"Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back
For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact
Squeeze the juice out, of all the suckers power
And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers
This world is ours, that's why the demons are leary
It's our inheritance; this is my Robbin Hood Theory"
-Robin Hood Theory

I think alot of you guys are too focus of multi's and rhyme schemes instead of looking at real lyrical content.........

hide1998
06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
What is good about Guru and i think alot of you cats are missing is that the simplicity of his rhymes can express some powerful points....

-Code of The Streets

-U Know My Steez

-Mass Appeal

-Robin Hood Theory

I think alot of you guys are too focus of multi's and rhyme schemes instead of looking at real lyrical content.........

Exactly. There isn't a single thing wrong with how/what Guru spit during his years with Gangstarr and he is severely underrated. His lyrics perfectly captured the images he tried to conjure up, and they were all written in a very mature way.

WuTangKillaBee
06-15-2007, 03:15 PM
On the microphone you know that I'm one of the best yet
Some punks, ain't paid all of their debts yet
Tryin to be fly, ridin high on the jet-set
With juvenile rhymes makin fake-ass death threats
Big deal, like En Vogue, here's something you can feel
Styles more tangible, and image more real
For some time now, I've held the scrolls and manuscripts
When it's time to go all out you be like, "Damn he flipped"
Now I'm sick, fed up with the bullshit
Got the lyrical full clip, giving you a verbal asswhip
Don't trip it's the gifted prolific one
Known as Bald Head Slick -- why is the press all on my di-dick?
My style be wilder, than a kamikaze pilot
Don't try it, I'm about to start more than a friggin riot
Styles unsurpassable, and nuccas that's suckas, yo
Them motherfuckers are harrassable
For I be speaking from my parables and carry you beyond
The mic's either a magic wand
Or it gets tragic like the havoc of a nuclear bomb
Then I grab your palm, no pulse you're gone
And if you thought we'd lose our niche in this rap shit you way wrong
I stay up, I stay on, shine bright, like neon
Your song's, pathetic, synthetic, like Rayon
Fat beats, they play on, want dope rhymes, put me on
Word is bond... you know my steez

fuck all yall who sayin G.U.R.U is medicore.. the dudes lyrics are way above average.

xHard to Earnx
06-15-2007, 03:39 PM

"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is"

IRONMAN GFK
06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Premo has deserved better than Guru over the years. Just look at "The Ownerz". If those beats had Nas all over them youre looking at a modern classic. Guru has been alllllright, sometimes he drops fire (i cant think when though), but 99% he sounds exactly the same, same flow, same voice, same content. His flow isnt even that great.

Put Nas on any beats and he'll do better than at least 90% of the other mc's out there

Frank Drebin
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
No. A real waste of premo's beats was Group Home. But don't put Guru into that bullshit where he wasted Premo's beat.

supa star one of my fav songs all time. yeah supa man supa star give me supa fat doe like pablo escobar

ShaDynasty
06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Put Nas on any beats and he'll do better than at least 90% of the other mc's out there......10 years ago

maestro wooz
06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
not wasted, but not used to the fullest of their abilities.

WuGambino
06-15-2007, 06:34 PM

-Code of The Streets

-U Know My Steez

-Mass Appeal

-Robin Hood Theory

Give this man a medal

hide1998
06-15-2007, 09:12 PM
...10 years ago

...and now

whitey
06-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Soliliquey of Chaos is brilliant. The story goes along with the title very nicely.

yea its not bad, i just wish it was longer i guess. the beat is so sick it feels like it goes by too fast.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-16-2007, 12:48 AM
...10 years ago

nas is pretty much the only mc i know who has been equally dope on the mic his entire career....

oh yeah, and gurus lyrics are good at times, but i just dont like them on later gangstarr album, hes stale. just my opinion, but ive found him boring for a while.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Gang Starr as a group were perfect. Guru anywhere else? I don't think so. He's not terrible by any means, but for anyone to think of him as being a great rapper is kinda just flat out wrong.

100% agree.

Robert
06-16-2007, 12:52 AM
.....i am an extremely lame faggot who makes meaningless contributions to threads regularly
|)

CharlesJones
06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Robert you made a good point. Those rhymes you posted by Guru is a example of how good a mc he is and i like the stuff that he talks about that goes on in america and how blacks are always getting taken advantage of by the system and government. Listen to Gang Starr's Conspiracy song from Daily Operation album and everything he said is the truth about america and racism. Premier's beats were never wasted on Guru's lyrics. Premier's beats weren't wasted on Group Home's first album either. They could've used his beats on their wack 2nd album.

CrackaWithAttitude
06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah I can't believe what the fuck I'm reading here. How the fuck can you say that? Dude is one of the best yet. Moment of Truth for ever yall!

xHard to Earnx
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
|)

Yeah sure.

noel411
06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
I didn't read this thread, but whether you like Guru or not, it is a FACT that Premo's beats were not wasted on him. Why do I say this? Because the majority of hip hop fans fucking love Gangstarr and consider them to be a legendary hip hop duo. You can't really say he wasted his beats when you consider that Gangstarr have 5 exceptional albums, 1 of which is a definite classic, and maybe another 2 or so of which are arguable classics.

Maybe he could have found another mc to team up with who would have worked even better with him, but that DOES NOT mean his beats were wasted on Guru.

It's kind of like saying Rakim's vocals were wasted on Eric B's beats. But they weren't, because although Eric B wasn't the greatest hip hop producer ever, he still worked with Rakim to build a legendary catalogue that will always be remembered and revered by true hip hop fans. Just like Guru and Premier did.

coughcool
06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
When you are talking about GURU you gotta be more specific to which album. I am a long time fan of Gangstarr and know their all of their records pretty well and Guru is a little different on alot of them.

Daily Operation is a classic. On Hard to earn Guru stepped up his game in more of a structural sense. Moment of Truth was more content based but it no way was it boring, its still probably my favorite Gangstarr record. Having said that.....

II didnt like the ownerz LP. The whole ablum was like Guru dumbed his shit down. He was on topic but man - no structure, no nothing....just boring as hell. Just look at the Same Team No Games - THOSE mother fuckers were killing it (NYGz / Hannibal Stax)! All the guests killed it but something was up with Guru's shit. Not the best way for Gangstarr to go out.

vahacris
06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
fuck what you heard! Moment of Truth is a classic too! Guru is underated

i was about to say same thing. moment of truth is dope as fuck and all you young catz bitchin about guru should listen to it and they try to say hes weak / wack or medicore...............

+ check that fullclip album. its like classic track after another classic track. maybe younger audience knows guru only from ownerz which is much weaker than his previous job........... proly cuz of guru alcohol problems......

peace to all bumpin 'step in the arena' or 'moment of truth' from time to time.....

famenchuan
06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I only have moment of truth and hard to earn. Moment of truth is my shit. Love every track on that album. Rarely listen to Hard to earn.

benzo
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Hard to earn had the best beats, regargless of what Guru was doing on that album. That shit is at least classic beat after classic beat...

CharlesJones
06-25-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm glad to see somebody besides me didn't like The Ownerz album. That album did kinda suck and they didn't need Snoop Dogg and Fat Joe's pop sellout asses on that album. Gang Starr and Nice And Smooth's Dwyck song is the shit and i love the video. There was some good looking girls in the video. I like how the video was on the beach at Atlantic City. I just saw Dwyck video again a few months ago because i hadn't seen it in a long time. That video brings back memories. I remember when i first saw it on The Box video channel. Hard To Earn, Daily Operation, Moment Of Truth albums i love. Only album of their's i haven't heard is No More Mr Nice Guy.

Tecknowledgist
06-26-2007, 09:36 AM
"I, Self, Lord And Master shall bring disaster to evil factors.
Demonic chapter, shall be captured by kings.
Through the storms of days after,
Into the earth from the sun through triple darkness to blast ya."

xHard to Earnx
06-26-2007, 03:58 PM
It just dawned on me that this whole time I could've said whatever I want about Gang Starr in this thread and then said "Suck it, look at my name. I'm pretty obviously a fan."

So....

Guru sucks, you sucks, everything sucks.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Robert you made a good point. Those rhymes you posted by Guru is a example of how good a mc he is and i like the stuff that he talks about that goes on in america and how blacks are always getting taken advantage of by the system and government. Listen to Gang Starr's Conspiracy song from Daily Operation album and everything he said is the truth about america and racism. Premier's beats were never wasted on Guru's lyrics. Premier's beats weren't wasted on Group Home's first album either. They could've used his beats on their wack 2nd album.

true... he's very easy to understand, the truth what he said in Battle; "u had one hot single but then ya album sound wack"

cuz many ppl have wack albums and live on their few hits...

2L8Lit da croatianMC
06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
lol i sadly agree

then why u laoughed?

The_SZAs
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjQmwshU0s

not a very good video, but the song.........

Wu-Tality
07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
This is all "if if if". It won't change anything. Gangstarr have delivered some awesome albums as it is. Dj Premier ain't no stupid man, he has had his reasons to stay with Guru.

oDoUoSoKo
07-02-2007, 09:05 PM
they wasnt waisted on KRS....that mite have been a superior Duo...idk...

Prolifical ENG
07-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Well Premo is considered a top 5 producer ever..sometimes even GOAT....but his production alone didn't make those classics.

Guru, I can see why some people might not like him. But he is one of the few monotonic emcees I can listen to....I don't know how he does it...perhaps his lyrics are just bold. You cant say he sounds lazy or anything like GZA's new style (thats another discussion).

In the worst case scenario like this, Timbaland beats were wasted on Magoo....lol

Every album except the first (No More Mr Nice Guy) was at least a 9/10.

Cormega
07-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, it made me feel so good to see this thread. Couldn't agree with you more. Guru has some insightful lyrics sure, but after a couple songs it's really hard to get over the fact that Guru's rhymes and flow always sound the same, in every song, and it gets damn monotonous.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
I always thought his style of rapping suited premo perfectly

Exactly my thinking. Guru aint my favourite mc ever, but I'll always have time for him. When I'm in the mood to chill and smoke a fat joint and just relax with some cool hip-hop, then the first 3 Gangstarr albums are as good as it gets. Wouldn't be the same with Nas or someone else on it.

cap
07-03-2007, 05:50 AM
i was thinking of bumping this thread.

i recently bought a copy of gangstarr's 'hard to earn' off the internet.
and guru is worthless on there,and anyone who disagrees can kiss my ass.not that everyone has to share my beliefs,but i know my hip hop,and this is not good mc'ing!!
he came above average on like 1 or 2 songs but the rest of his verses were pure wackness.
i really think we missed out on a lot of classics cus of guru.

i can see how people respect guru,but top 10??
fuck that.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-03-2007, 06:45 AM
i know its pretty odd, guru was dope on a number of tracks from "Daily Routine" and "Step in the Arena" imo, but thats where it ends for me.

those albums are all dope, maybe even classics.

but they would be bonafide classics with an above average mc.

Frank Drebin
07-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Your head'll bop when I drop my crop
of pure bomb, just like the seashore I'm calm
But wild, with my monotone style
Because I don't need gimmicks
Gimme a fly beat and I'm all in it

noel411
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
When I think about it, it's actually a little disturbing and offensive to think that there is a 5 page thread on here dedicated to slandering one half of one of the most legendary hip hop duos of all time, and major contributor to one of the best catalogues in all of hip hop.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-03-2007, 08:14 AM
When I think about it, it's actually a little disturbing and offensive to think that there is a 5 page thread on here dedicated to slandering one half of one of the most legendary hip hop duos of all time, and major contributor to one of the best catalogues in all of hip hop.

Yeah, everyone gotta have their own opinion, but I'm surprised to see people going as far as they are in this thread.

The Hound
07-03-2007, 08:15 AM
guru doesn't need to change flow, guru is how he is and is fuckin nice and every gangstarr drop is no less than an 8, fuck the haters

i dont know whats worse, the guru haters or the premo dick riders

RAMESH
07-03-2007, 10:03 AM
guru & premier makes a good team, they both are respected in hip hop

DJMethods
07-03-2007, 11:18 AM
guru & premier makes a good team, they both are respected in hip hop

This is a hip-hop board, on the Wu-Tang forum

Longbongcilvaringz
07-03-2007, 11:29 AM

if you look through the thread you'll find that most people are standing up for guru, and saying he is a great mc.

which i find a little disturbing/.

WuTangMaster
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Gangstarr is dope. Every track can't be a hit

CharlesJones
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Cap you sound like a bitch. How can you not like Guru's rhymes on Hard To Earn album? Your opinion is wack.

beardman
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Guru is very dope and he is way better than average. Guru and premier's beats just match each other perfectly.

The threadstarter makes it sound like Guru is below 50's level?

I don't understand why people disliked 'The Ownerz'. It isn't on par with some of their other cd's like Moment of Truth, but it was quite decent.
________
iolite review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/iolite)

Dante
07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Theory"

No, it's not his multies or rhymes i have a problem with, it's his flow and delivery that are too damn monotone all the time.

Razorsharp
07-04-2007, 04:38 AM
No, it's not his multies or rhymes i have a problem with, it's his flow and delivery that are too damn monotone all the time.

like he said... he is the king of monotone... he is dope as fuck to me

cap
07-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Cap you sound like a bitch. How can you not like Guru's rhymes on Hard To Earn album? Your opinion is wack.

why is my opinion wack??
cus i dont suck any rappers dick that gets put on a pedestal by so-called hip hop heads??
cus i actually listen to an mc before i make my mind up wether i think they're dope or weak??
cus i dont feel that hanging with primo is enough to be a legend?

fuck that,guru isnt a good mc to me,deal with it muthafucka!

Razorsharp
07-04-2007, 05:03 AM
y0o cap... i respect ur opinion, but no way... Guru is my man... that dude is ill as fuck :D

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-04-2007, 05:15 AM
why is my opinion wack??
cus i dont suck any rappers dick that gets put on a pedestal by so-called hip hop heads??
cus i actually listen to an mc before i make my mind up wether i think they're dope or weak??
cus i dont feel that hanging with primo is enough to be a legend?

fuck that,guru isnt a good mc to me,deal with it muthafucka!

Nothing wrong with having your opinion, but I like Guru for reasons other than being told he's a legend.

Dante
07-04-2007, 06:38 AM
I respect Guru's legendary status, but to me, he never was that great of an MC. Premo is the only reason i listen to some Gang Starr every now and then, and Guru is the reason i don't listen to them that much.

Suga Duga
07-04-2007, 06:41 AM
can't stand that Guru-Premo talk about who wasted what one each other...just let me say this:

Moment Of Truth is untouchable

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-04-2007, 10:07 AM
lets get this straight , primo laced guru with some ill shit , look at the "ownerz" all the beats were hot.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
This thread would be better with a poll.