PDA

View Full Version : What Is Flow.......

Visionz
06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
in your oppinion? I think some people think lyricism and flow is one and the same. I would say that you can have sick lyrics and still not have a sick flow (Immortal Technique to me would be a good example)
For me, flow is more than just staying on time, it's staying on time in a way that most couldn't touch or couldn't figure out with both the enounciation and breathe control. Curious what others think.

Edgar Erebus
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Flow is staying on time and still sounding effortless.

TAURO
06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I always thought Snoop had a sick flow (mainly on doggystyle) despite not having the deepest lyrics.

Visionz
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
^cuz Snoop spits it like a muhfuckin piMP, haha. Lyrics play a big part, but not the only part. In that other thread I kept seeing names where I'd say they had a decent flow, always ontime and shit, but I think its more them as lyricist that had them saying that vs. actual flow.

Scribbles
06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Jay Z - one of the best to do it with a versatile flow.

OTB
06-19-2007, 12:08 PM
2 recent examplez off top-

snoop on vato
krs on rising to the top

lips
06-19-2007, 12:11 PM
flow very simply is being able to ryme on beat. basically, the word that rymes hitting the kick of the beat each time...every bar...or every 8 count of the beat(2 beats per count)...those who do this smoothy, have good flow. also, having a tight ryme scheme usually will increase flow and make it better...same goes for slick wordplay...everything works hand in hand...but if you can't ryme on beat, then you can't "flow"

L~>1<~NKS
06-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Harmonized lyrics and beats.

To the....(uneducated) - Flowing and Spittin' are not the same thing.

DJMethods
06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Harmonized lyrics and beats.

To the inbred fuckheadz (uneducated) - Flowing and Spittin' are not the same thing.

pretty much it. hard to explain but it can differ, dont have to hit every bar if you can do it right IMO

Edgar Erebus
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Eminem's verse on Renegades. That is flow.

Dirty Knowledge
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
With a studio I think any average flow can be maximized to a great flow.

Flow is when you freestyle with your boys at the crib or outside in a little cypher or big cypher. It's just the natural and it's got nothing to do with the computerized shit.

beardman
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
With a studio I think any average flow can be maximized to a great flow.

Flow is when you freestyle with your boys at the crib or outside in a little cypher or big cypher. It's just the natural and it's got nothing to do with the computerized shit.

Word!
________
no2 review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/no2/)

djskillz
06-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I judge flow on how the artist delivers the words. The subject matter doesn't matter when I'm judging flow, it's how you deliver the message that counts. When it sounds natural (like Eminem on "Renegade" or Rakim on "My Melody") it sounds the best.

maestro wooz
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
flow is why i dont listen to canibus

DrUnK-N-MuNkY
06-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Jigga,Bone Thugs,Biggie,and LIl Wayne are the best the flow.Flow is the reason i actually listen to Wayne.

Chino XL sick,but flow is terrible

Scribbles
06-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Let's not forget PUN. THE DEFINITION OF FLOW!

11th Chamber
06-20-2007, 12:09 AM
^^^ word. He sounded like every word was a struggle to get out.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-20-2007, 02:41 AM
flow is why i dont listen to canibus

canibus' flow is decent on most tracks, listen to the mic club album...

flow is just delievery in general, voice is a part of it for me.

Bg_Knocc_Out
06-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Let's not forget PUN. THE DEFINITION OF FLOW!

His flow is sick on the song "Leatherface", thats one of my favorite songs and I was surprised that thats not considered on of his best songs.

I'm surprised this is the one forum where nobody mentions Big L when it comes to flow. He's a great example of flow. I can't listin' to anything without flow, it doesn't matter about being how fast, they just gotta work the track cause I ain't gonna listin' to no monotoned MC, cause it gets boring and hard to feel the song.

Visionz
06-20-2007, 03:28 AM
If you threw up a rank on 1-10 where would some emcees fall? Whos at the top and who's at the bottom?

Pharoah Monch would be a 10 for me, I've seen quite a few mention Inspectah Deck when this topic has come up before. For me Deck's more like an 8, really,really good flow but Monch is just a lil' crazier with his. jmo

baritone
06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
multies can really help a niggas flow out

flow is the reason I can't listen to Immortal Technique, he struggles to stay on beat

wuswordz95
06-22-2007, 06:46 PM
flow is like an added drum beat.

TAURO
06-22-2007, 06:53 PM
multies can really help a niggas flow out

flow is the reason I can't listen to Immortal Technique, he struggles to stay on beat

So you don't listen to Rza either?

Prolifical ENG
06-22-2007, 07:06 PM
flow very simply is being able to ryme on beat. basically, the word that rymes hitting the kick of the beat each time...every bar...or every 8 count of the beat(2 beats per count)...those who do this smoothy, have good flow. also, having a tight ryme scheme usually will increase flow and make it better...same goes for slick wordplay...everything works hand in hand...but if you can't ryme on beat, then you can't "flow"

That is pretty well said. "Rhymes hitting the kick of the beat". Also the ability to smooth out any amounts of syllables thats required to drop a bar. You can stay linear and you can switch it up.

I'm surprised this is the one forum where nobody mentions Big L when it comes to flow. He's a great example of flow.

He is a great example of flow. At times his actual lines can outshine his flow but you can't even question his flow....he switches it up to match every line he says and still has perfect timing...fast or slow to any beat he lays it down to.

If you threw up a rank on 1-10 where would some emcees fall? Whos at the top and who's at the bottom?

Pharoah Monch would be a 10 for me, I've seen quite a few mention Inspectah Deck when this topic has come up before. For me Deck's more like an 8, really,really good flow but Monch is just a lil' crazier with his. jmo

Monch is a 10...Deck is an 8 to me too.

Also, Jeru The Damaja is someone who has a sick and unique flow. Sometimes he will pause for a split second in between selected syllables and then finish his bars smoothly and on time. Alliterations also can add to the flow and why Snoop is good. Along with rhyme schemes and such that someone mentioned earlier.

baritone
06-23-2007, 12:32 PM
So you don't listen to Rza either?
I like RZA more as a producer, his skills on the mic are above average, but when it come to makin beats, top 5 dead or alive

venex
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM

word..ins flows like a muthafuckin' bullet...

but monch...he just pulls off crazy stuff...i liked him the best in organized konfusion...daamn....one line he goes slow..that other line very fast...and his breathcontrol is sick :)

WARPATH
06-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Flow is.........

Like when you pee, and it shoots out in thick stream.

Or when you come in buckets, and it just keeps coming out thick.

That's flow.

Come Honor Face
06-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Jay Z - one of the best to do it with a versatile flow.

He says about a rapper that has bit countless mc's!

Come Honor Face
06-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Good thread! I completely agree with u on "flow" There are some mc's that write sick lyrics but deliver them badly. There are some artists who deliver their lyrics flawlessly and kill it with mediocre lyrics. I would categorize flow as a mixture of all aspects of the song. (excluding production obviously)

Come Honor Face
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Jigga,Bone Thugs,Biggie,and LIl Wayne are the best the flow.Flow is the reason i actually listen to Wayne.

Chino XL sick,but flow is terrible

Jigga and Lil Wayne? LOL Both wack ass mc's! Biggie yeah. He goes on that list. Bone on that list? Maybe. Tough call. Gay-z and Lil Weezie gotta go.

xHard to Earnx
06-23-2007, 11:35 PM
flow is why i dont listen to canibus or really any nerd rap, and E-40

xHard to Earnx
06-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Jigga and Lil Wayne? LOL Both wack ass mc's! Biggie yeah. He goes on that list. Bone on that list? Maybe. Tough call. Gay-z and Lil Weezie gotta go.

Jay-Z is anything but "whack," moron.

xHard to Earnx
06-24-2007, 12:02 AM
More like every Kool G Rap track.

xHard to Earnx
06-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, be he wasn't rhyming like that until G Rap came along. Look it up.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Meth = 10

Ghost, Rae, Deck = 9

Nas = 9

Cormega = 8

Pun = 9

7L = 8

Slug = 9

Murs = 8.5

Rakim = 9

AZ = 8.5

Big L = 9

Big Noyd = 7

Mos Def = 8

Talib Kweli = 8

Blueprint = 7

KRS One = 7

Sean Price/Ruck = 8.5

Rock = 8.5

Bronze Nazareth - 7.5

Canibus - 9 or 8 depending on what album

Capone N Noreaga - 6.5

Cappa - 8 (sometimes a 9 ie. on Ironman album)

Chino XL - 8

Common - 9

B Real - 9

The D.O.C. = 8.5

MF Doom - 8

Del = 8

Dr. Dre = 7

Kool Keith = 8.5

Edo G = 8

Eminem = 9

The Game = 7

Guru = 8 to 6 depending

GZA = 8.5 to 7

RZA - 9 to 6

Ill Bill - 9 to 7

Goretex - 9

Longbongcilvaringz
06-24-2007, 03:07 AM
huh..........well I looked it up and yeh, it said Kane adopted his style.....that's cool though, both came from the same cliq (Juice Crew) right? So maybe they sound the same cus they repped one another? I mean G rap had that style/flow with the mafioso-type thing, whereas Kane was about the pimpin' and hustlin; same manner, though different approach....... Though I hear ya, Kool G Rap prob. originated it.

Is there any collab tracks with G Rap and Kane? That'd be dope........ not too familiar with G rap sad to say, but must look into him; I am/was always about Kane, so I'll prob. feel the same about G Rap after a listen or 2.

yes... the track "Raw" of Road To Riches

im not actually sure if this is a g rap track though, but its on the special edition of "Road To Riches" as an alternative version, anyway, its kane and g rap.

Visionz
06-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Meth = 10

Ghost, Rae, Deck = 9

Nas = 9

Cormega = 8

Pun = 9

7L = 8

Slug = 9

Murs = 8.5

Rakim = 9

AZ = 8.5

Big L = 9

Big Noyd = 7

Mos Def = 8

Talib Kweli = 8

Blueprint = 7

KRS One = 7

Sean Price/Ruck = 8.5

Rock = 8.5

Bronze Nazareth - 7.5

Canibus - 9 or 8 depending on what album

Capone N Noreaga - 6.5

Cappa - 8 (sometimes a 9 ie. on Ironman album)

Chino XL - 8

Common - 9

B Real - 9

The D.O.C. = 8.5

MF Doom - 8

Del = 8

Dr. Dre = 7

Kool Keith = 8.5

Edo G = 8

Eminem = 9

The Game = 7

Guru = 8 to 6 depending

GZA = 8.5 to 7

RZA - 9 to 6

Ill Bill - 9 to 7

Goretex - 9

nice list, think you're givin Meth a lil'too much credit but jmo, what do you think his sickest example of flow in a song would be?

Have you heard much of Pharoah Monch? If not you should definetly give a listen, either his group stuff w/ Organized Konfusion or his solo stuff. He's got a new release droppin next week. Can't wait for that joint!!

2L8Lit da croatianMC
06-24-2007, 03:29 AM
the important thing about lyrics is their contend. an mc can spit shitty lyrics while having smooth nice flow.. but an mc like Chuck D, he got madd electric flow, plus great voice, and his lyrics r ill. or big daddy kane, or grandmaster flash... great flow and lyrics in one!

Longbongcilvaringz
06-24-2007, 04:02 AM
nice list, think you're givin Meth a lil'too much credit but jmo, what do you think his sickest example of flow in a song would be?

Have you heard much of Pharoah Monch? If not you should definetly give a listen, either his group stuff w/ Organized Konfusion or his solo stuff. He's got a new release droppin next week. Can't wait for that joint!!

uh yeah i just looked through my itunes and picked out some random mc's.

meth got an automatic 10 for some reason, maybe ive been brain washed by meth fans on this forum, but he mixes it up so much and for me seems to be on beat without exception. examples..

Buck 50
Simon Says Remix
Flowers (Original) (probably one of my favorite meth verses)
Bring The Pain
Judgement Day
Retro Godfather (even though the beat is pretty terrible imo)
Killin' Fields
Elements (Star also kills this track)

pretty much anything of "Tical 2000: Judgement Day"

John 3:16
What's Happening
Blackout
Mi Casa (his flow over this beat is almost perfect)
Y.O.U (example of his quicker flow)
Cereal Killer

Shame on a Nigga
Protect Ya Neck

Triumph
Visionz
Bells of War

Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off) (quicker flow again)
Gravel Pit

i think the main thing with meth is the way he rides a beat, unlike other mc's he doesnt just rhyme fast or slow on every track, he switches it up alot. hes also has imo one of the best voices, and sounds virtually effortless on any track he spits on.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
06-24-2007, 04:11 AM
^^yo! put Cheka track on... and fast forward it to 1:23, that verse is one of the illest Meth flows i ever heard!

Longbongcilvaringz
06-24-2007, 04:36 AM
yeah meth kills everything on Blackout, The W, Judgment Day.

Prolifical ENG
06-24-2007, 05:33 PM
It is true...Big Daddy Kane spits butter.

Another rapper that should get mentioned in this thread is Mac Dre. He could probably rap about nothing and his flow alone could keep your attention.

lips
06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Is there any collab tracks with G Rap and Kane? That'd be dope........ not too familiar with G rap sad to say, but must look into him; I am/was always about Kane, so I'll prob. feel the same about G Rap after a listen or 2.

the symphony