PDA

View Full Version : Did u know that Gza's lyrics for "Breaker Breaker" was inspired by a book?

diggy
06-20-2007, 09:53 PM
The Gza's song was inspired by a book titled " The Art of Wordly Wisdom" by Balthasar Gracian. This book contains 300 maxims or wise sayings that can help one through life. It is very helpful to read this book.

Other people have been inspired by this book as well. The author of " The 48 Laws of Power" has based a significant part of his book on "The Art of Worldly Wisdom".

Any one who has not read this book should check it out.

So first:

1) I will show the Lyrics to Gza's song "Breaker Breaker" and bolden and highlight the parts which were inspired by the Book.

2) After the lyrics, I will show the exact parts of the book in bold and highlight and the link to show that the song was truly inspired by it.

The parts from the book will be in the same sequential order as Gza has stated them in his rhyme.

Breaker Breaker

by GZA

album: Beneath The Surface (1999)

[Chorus: GZA]
Breaker, breaker, one nine,
clear the lineCan you read me?
Extorted your rhymes
MC's should expect the worst
I stay alert and shoot first

[GZA]
This is not a test,
it's difficulty
Picture closely,
the ignorant mostly
Blind, deaf, dumb, your mind left numb
Lost soul who failed to hear the roll of the drum
In the bottom of your bomb shelter, still felt the
heavy blast that blew off the masks of twelve welders
The math of an elder, praise the Lord - thank you Genius
Operation: Project English
Commander-n-chief of flight style, check the aircraft
Glide like the frisbee, Digi look Disney
To check fault in oneself is pure loveliness
You break the mirror that remind you of your ugliness
So when I bust, no one is untouched
Some returning with the mic clutched, like such
who plan but never execute
He had the heat in his hand, but yo he didn't shoot
Therefore; your mechanism of material better be sickly
or let your lead spread incredibly quickly
I move bravely, travellin on a horse
on the battlefield, surrounded by the lost
of those who plotted with the brains of animals
My high molecular structure be untangible
The name ring a bell, killable two syllable
The Wu is comin through, the outcome is critical
To be blunt, the beef was cooked up like coke goods
The rhyme first came to me in the oak woods
Up to no good, rap icon
"Milk" the industry like the Wall Street junk bond
You see the bright stone, I got your height sewn
Direct current, that move through the mic-phone
Key contributor, well known major factor
Rhyme distributor, the drive of a tractor
who run ya down if you don't wanna move or wanna linger {*echoes*}

Chorus: repeat 2X

[GZA]
The immortality of my fame is the measure of other's torture
Burnt offer, from a flamin author
The falconer who flies enough birds for the chase
Strictly excel in what is excellence with grace
The significance was not the vulgar applause of interest
but the feelin that exit, completion of a sentence
With age and experience, my reason ripens
I strike on you Vikings, slash like a hyphen
If you enter the house of fortune by the gate of pleasure
You will leave by sorrow, the flow measures
everything fails with the unfortunate
Learned that recordin it, so my mind broaden it
Track records, ranks us, with the exceptional
Extreme complex physics, high technical
The truth is usually seen and rarely heard
What's more dangerous than hatred, is the word
You wild cards, Jack of all trades
Those who parade their positions, show their Spades
A large flock of MC's, they figure to be taught
It ain't hard to see why I'm vigorously saught

[Outro: GZA]Breaker, breaker, one nineBreaker, breaker, one nine

Now for what parts inspired him:

Maxim # 237 -- Never share the secrets of your superiors. In this maxim, on the 4th line, it is stated: Many break the mirror that reminds them of their ugliness. This is open to a few interpretations.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=237

Maxim #162 -- How to triumph over your rivals and detractors. On the 9th line in the link to this paragraph it says: The immortality of his fame is the measure of the other's torture.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=162

Maxime #58 -- Adapt yourself to those around you. On the 4th line it says: The skillful falconer only flies enough birds to serve for the chase.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=58

Maxim # 53 -- Be diligent and intelligent.Diligence promptly executes what intelligence carefully thought through. Haste is the failing of fools - they know not the obstacles and set to work without preparation.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=53

Maxim # 59 -- Finish off well.On the 3rd line it says: You ought therefore to think of the finish, and attach more importance to a happy exit than to applause on entrance.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=59

Maxim # 60 -- Have sound judgement. On the 3rd line it says: With age and experience their reason ripens, and thus they attain a sound judgement

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=60

Maxim #59 -- Finish off well. Gza uses another quote from this maxim that says:In the house of fortune if you enter by the gate of pleasure you must leave by that of sorrow, and vice versa.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=59

Maxim #163 -- Never - out of sympathy with the unfortunate - involve yourself in their fate. Gza did not use this one line for line, but he still was inspired by it.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=163

Maxim #61 -- Excel in what is excellent. Starting at the third line it says: Eminence is some distinguished post distinguishes one from the vulgar mob and ranks us with the exceptional.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=61

Maxim #80 -- Take care when you get information. On the 3rd line of the paragraph, it says: The truth is generally seen, rarely heard.

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=80

Maxime # 85 -- Do not be a wild card, a jack-of-all-trades. The Gza used this one

http://www.davidbrandt.com/wisdom/index.php?number=85

So there u have it. If u want to read the whole book that inspired the Gza, go here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/aww/index.htm (http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/aww/index.htm)

chiefjustice
06-21-2007, 06:52 AM
great thread man ! Really cool. Intresting to read.

Do you know if any other members were/are inspired by books ??

Keep it up

diggy
06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't know if any other members were influenced by books. But maybe they were since they like to rap about very deep topics.
Thanks.

Tecknowledgist
06-29-2007, 11:26 PM
peace, man. i wish there were more threads like this one.

MAYOR QUIMBY
07-02-2007, 01:17 AM
DAMN, this is an excellent thread. How did you find out about this, diggy?

DaClanMaster
07-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Wow, very nice work man

kwabena1041
07-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Excellent

Billy Danzenie
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
interesting

Jeff-The-Chef
09-15-2007, 11:25 AM
real cool

Herona
09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
From experience of my eyes I know that it is a Film/Video about Truckers and Highways and Revolts, but this film may be based on a book-plot. So far...there's a star! Master Lou.

Knowledge God
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
this could be seen as biting without naming the source
Its disapointing to know GZA didn't create them bars himself.

i thought GZA was a true genius for spittin stuff like

The immortality of his fame is the measure of the other's torture.
but he didn't write it so it kinda takes something away from the rhyme in terms of gza's skill. makes you wonder what other rhymes he didn't create

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM

but he didn't write it so it kinda takes something away from the rhyme in terms of gza's skill. makes you wonder what other rhymes he didn't create

yeah but it could just been that great minds think alike i mean you can't just say he's biting when he's just grabbing quotes even if he didn't name the source sometime you're inspired and you incorporate into you're lyrics

DJMethods
09-17-2007, 12:32 PM

not serious are you? I hope not

For GZA to become a "genius" he needs to have learnt shit..

You're typing is actually "biting" if you wanna go down that road, and because you havent created any of your own words and/or language, you're stupid.

Knowledge God
09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
/\ So you don't care that he's quoted a whole book and pretended it his own work with no reference to the book or anything.

a big difference writing in english (which actually borrowed off a number of languages) to actually quoting other peoples work and pretended its his own work,

Copy and pasting something from a book isn't learning something.
I love gza an all but that's took the shine off it.
if it says in the album booklet written by g.grice and Balthasar Gracian i'll forgive him.
Although, i'll give credit for gza for makin me aware of some sick shit

HarlemDiplomat
09-17-2007, 03:13 PM
This is the best thread I've seen since I been here.

Excellent breakdown. Thats amazing that GZA did that.

TheLifeisHectic
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Utterly amazed.

ALCATRAZ
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Wu Tang Saga Continue

Surreptitious
09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
didnt know thats where all that came from, but I always understand what the Genius meant with those lines

Surreptitious
09-18-2007, 02:41 PM
I also agree with being dissapointed about lines like "the immortality of my fame is the measure of others torture," are bitten

InvincibleArmor79
09-19-2007, 03:48 AM
are yall serious??

Maxxx Millisecondz
09-19-2007, 04:42 AM
inspired by and bitten are two completely different things.

pill happy
09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
thats really interesting, i understand what people are saying about, the shine being takin off, but all he did was qoute something, and did it real effectivally, given the quoate a whole new meaning,

that said if i found that every gza song where all the best lines where takin from some book, i'd be pissed off and actually wouldn't want to know because i fucking love gza,

but rest ashored hes no bitter, just look at words from the genius, no philosophical but its still great lyrics, hes only quoting is all

DJMethods
09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
/\ So you don't care that he's quoted a whole book and pretended it his own work with no reference to the book or anything.

a big difference writing in english (which actually borrowed off a number of languages) to actually quoting other peoples work and pretended its his own work,

Copy and pasting something from a book isn't learning something.
I love gza an all but that's took the shine off it.
if it says in the album booklet written by g.grice and Balthasar Gracian i'll forgive him.
Although, i'll give credit for gza for makin me aware of some sick shit

He hasnt quoted a whole book though. He didn't reference it? He's not writing an essay man, he's making a song.

The point I was making is, you learnt to write/speak English and now you do it. GZA learnt from a book and he used it. You aren't giving a reference, you aren't claiming it as your own. Neither is he. It's like when people say old metaphors and stuff, it's nothing man.

He learnt from the book. You're copying and pasting from word of mouth and reading, you still learnt it though, didn't you?

He doesnt know everything in the world, he switched it up and put it into rhyme form.. Thats why he's the genius, it's genius in lyrics. He's not a part of mensa or some shit bro, genius has much to do with his lyrical ability as much as his intellect. Now taking lines from books, sick lines, and making them into lyrics for a song? Thats pretty genius to me

I do get you though... I just look at it differently. I learnt from GZA. Doesn't matter who started it first, at school I learnt shit from teachers who didn't reference everything they said.

Knowledge God
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
/\ not the best analogy to use. if i'm bitin then gza's bitin twice cos he's speakin english too and quotin from books without referencing it. The english language was designed for people to use without referencing all the time cos that would be stupid.
In fact its the worst analogy i've ever heard in my life.
when some1 writes a book, it is not released with the intention of people using the quotes as they own. That's plagiarism. I'm sure GZA could be sued. Remember Oasis got sued for using the lyrics from a poem without asking for permission.

But what you say reminds me of a Canibus says

"I can't take credit the English language was not my invention"

The thing is most the bars he was used are near enough identical. But some1 check the cd booklet to see if the author got credit for it, then i'll apologise. The fact he's quoted the book without telling any1, makes it look like he didn't want people to know he quoted a book and wanted the credit for it, which is not a nice thing to do.

not tryna cause friction but that's my view, understandable that some people differ

DJMethods
09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
/\ not the best analogy to use. if i'm bitin then gza's bitin twice cos he's speakin english too and quotin from books without referencing it. The english language was designed for people to use without referencing all the time cos that would be stupid.
In fact its the worst analogy i've ever heard in my life.
when some1 writes a book, it is not released with the intention of people using the quotes as they own. That's plagiarism. I'm sure GZA could be sued. Remember Oasis got sued for using the lyrics from a poem without asking for permission.

But what you say reminds me of a Canibus says

"I can't take credit the English language was not my invention"

The thing is most the bars he was used are near enough identical. But some1 check the cd booklet to see if the author got credit for it, then i'll apologise. The fact he's quoted the book without telling any1, makes it look like he didn't want people to know he quoted a book and wanted the credit for it, which is not a nice thing to do.

not tryna cause friction but that's my view, understandable that some people differ

nah man i get ya, and its probably the first discussion on here thats gone without "fuck you cunt" thrown in somewhere lol

The analogy's bad, but i dont mean it like you're biting. I mean it like, you're using knowledge that you've learnt. So is the GZA. i speak Dylan Thomas quotes all the time, when people ask if thats a quote im not gonna claim credit for it. but when i say it im not trying to make myself look smart, or enlightened, its more of a way to express myself that i learnt from a great man.

GZA's taking knowledge and sharing. i dont see a problem with that. bitings a hip-hop thing. like RZA used the bible as one of the reason he speaks of his tongue as a sword. if asked he speaks the truth about it, just like GZA would.

smart men pass on knowledge, where it comes from isnt that important to me. i take stuff from all forms of places and use it. you cant be a "genius" without learning, and its what GZA did.

biblebullet
09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
So what if he quoted a book....you like the song don't you? if yes then pls let it go

Knowledge God
09-26-2007, 05:01 AM
i let it go about a week ago.

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
02-08-2009, 07:42 PM
funny that gza said in an interview he doesnt read books

pmack215
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM

WOW.

but like knowledge god said, a bit of disappointment by gza.

oldie
02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
woooaahhh!! that is waaaay deep and knowledge-full!

oldie
02-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Breaker Breaker

by GZA

album: Beneath The Surface (1999)

[GZA]
The immortality of my fame is the measure of other's torture
Burnt offer, from a flamin author
The falconer who flies enough birds for the chase
Strictly excel in what is excellence with grace
The significance was not the vulgar applause of interest
but the feelin that exit, completion of a sentence
With age and experience, my reason ripens
I strike on you Vikings, slash like a hyphen
If you enter the house of fortune by the gate of pleasure
You will leave by sorrow, the flow measures
everything fails with the unfortunate
Learned that recordin it, so my mind broaden it
Track records, ranks us, with the exceptional
Extreme complex physics, high technical
The truth is usually seen and rarely heard
What's more dangerous than hatred, is the word
You wild cards, Jack of all trades
Those who parade their positions, show their Spades
A large flock of MC's, they figure to be taught
It ain't hard to see why I'm vigorously saught

[Outro: GZA]Breaker, breaker, one nineBreaker, breaker, one nine

i suppose the line: "Burnt offer, from a Flaming Author"

could be seen as his reference

......well, now we know its from a book.

Tyler Durden
02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
inspired by and bitten are two completely different things.

Very true, this can't be put down as a stolen style.

It's the same as plagiarism and research, they can be confused by fools but are in no way the same

JerseyIronman
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Its several lines quoted word for word from a previous source, so I agree with Knowledge God that it should reference Balthasar in the song credits.

This was really interesting and it was also a bit disappointing to read the same exact quote ripped, from a writing stand point.

diggy
02-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I suggest y'all give the book a read:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/aww/index.htm

diggy
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
DAMN, this is an excellent thread. How did you find out about this, diggy?

i like to read books about philosophy which "the art of worldly wisdom" is.

i also like gza

so it was a matter of time before i found out

rakimkoolgrapwutang
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
i love gza hes by far my favorite emcee. but this is biting. but i still like this line very much cuz he actually invented it himself 'to be blunt the beef was cooked uplike coke goods' everyone gets how 'cooked up' connects with 'beef' but no one realises that 'blunt' is connected to coke goods' cuz theyre drugs

ForensikZ
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
wow... damn gza... wasnt even reworded lol but.,.. nothing new under the sun. so it was gza dropping words of wisom as his single.. not that bad, idk how to feel about it actually

diggy
10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Should we snitch on GZA to get him sued???

lol