PDA

View Full Version : Better at the time...De La Vs. ATCQ

oDoUoSoKo
06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
who at the time was better? ofcourse they both dope...i gotta say without a doubt De La...the rhymin came so much easier..(and a bit better) to them...and they had the advantage of havin Prince Paul....3 feet....imo a decimal better than LOT....still like em both tho...

Jimmy Focus
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
idk kno they both entered wit the same kind of approach. both of thier first albums were experimental and then both thier second albums were more solid and toned down. either way thier both still a couple of the dopest groups ever.

Edgar Erebus
06-22-2007, 02:53 AM
A Tribe Called Quest. We got the jazz.

The Hound
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
i was into de la, never really got into ATCQ tbh

TAURO
06-22-2007, 07:53 AM
When I first started listening to hip hop back in 92 one of the first groups I checked for was Tribe, so im going with them.

oDoUoSoKo
06-22-2007, 08:52 AM
wow u guys gotta get up on De La...they are so dope...and like i said...great beats!!!

Suga Duga
06-22-2007, 08:59 AM
god damn, I hate a tribe called....

CHRONZ
06-22-2007, 09:06 AM
De La Soul

WuGambino
06-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Tribe.

OTB
06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
tribez aite, but what happened to thoze foolz-
de la still bangin em out-

Longbongcilvaringz
06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
De La Soul are probably the best hip hop group ever:

1. Because of their constant experimentation and changing of their sound...successfully.

2. Because of their consistency and relevance through about 20 years of hip hop.

3. and Because of their influence on so called "conscious hip hop", basically creating and perfecting an entire genre.

ATCQ are one of my favourite groups, but personally they dont stand next to De La

oh yeah, sorry for over looking the question and ranting....

my answer is the same though, de la

what time period are you talking about though....until ATCQ ended officially?

TAURO
06-22-2007, 02:43 PM

1. Because of their constant experimentation and changing of their sound...successfully.

2. Because of their consistency and relevance through about 20 years of hip hop.

3. and Because of their influence on so called "conscious hip hop", basically creating and perfecting an entire genre.

ATCQ are one of my favourite groups, but personally they dont stand next to De La

Some very good points which I completley agree with but my decision was based mainly on nostalgic purposes.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
those points are pretty much irrelevant to the thread.... which i guess is comparing "3 Feet High and Rising" with "Low End Theory"....

i think if your saying "at the time" its should just be each groups first few albums, because "Midnight Marauders" to me was always much better than "Low End Theory"

WuGambino
06-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I prefer Low End Theory. The whole Tribe sound though, it's just a lot more appealing to me than De La. Plus their name is just so eighties (and not in a good way :p)

oDoUoSoKo
06-22-2007, 06:02 PM
im not comparing that album..matta of fact...i made a mistake with the title...i meant... which of them is better period...where's tribe's grind date?

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM

oh yeah, sorry for over looking the question and ranting....

my answer is the same though, de la

what time period are you talking about though....until ATCQ ended officially?

yea what he said

oDoUoSoKo
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
De La Soul Is Dead is classic!!!

11th Chamber
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Quest

Prolifical ENG
06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
At the time I don't know I wasnt listening to hip-hop until a few years later. That time I guess you are referring to the late 80s and early 90s but you say it doesnt mean that but it still makes sense.

I would say De La Soul even though I didn't like the classic 3 Feet High and Rising as much as some of Tribes work but I still respect it.

oDoUoSoKo
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
DE LA SOUL IS DEAD IS THE TRUTH...honestly this album is so much better than the low end theory...omg...im sorry...im jus now hearin the rest of this album....it is a muscial TRIP you will go nuts peepin this album...i think thats the problem, mad people are anwering "quest" becuase ya they are great..but also cuz u havent herd De La Is Dead.

Prolifical ENG
06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
if thats the case its hard to believe that people haven't heard more De La Soul albums. They do have a solid discography...except for that AOI album...I didn't like that one. You can't go wrong with any De La Soul album.

TAURO
06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
DE LA SOUL IS DEAD IS THE TRUTH...honestly this album is so much better than the low end theory...omg...im sorry...im jus now hearin the rest of this album....it is a muscial TRIP you will go nuts peepin this album...i think thats the problem, mad people are anwering "quest" becuase ya they are great..but also cuz u havent herd De La Is Dead.

No offense Dusk but I don't really need to be schooled by you when it comes to De La, I was bumping their shit when you was still in pre-school.

oDoUoSoKo
06-24-2007, 04:57 PM
No offense Dusk but I don't really need to be schooled by you when it comes to De La, I was bumping their shit when you was still in pre-school.
i think not....ur not older than me dick...and that wasnt directed towards you so don't feel offended.

PANDA PISS
06-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I love them both, i went for Tribe though, in spite of the fact that 'the love movement' was one of the most disappointing albums i ever bought.
I dont know who was better at the time, but theyre very different groups. One thing i can say is that De La matured gracefully and continue to make good albums, whereas Tribe kind of lost their spark towards the end.

ol dirty abbot
06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
shit thats a toss up um Tribe I guess only cause of Buggin Out

TAURO
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
i think not....ur not older than me dick...and that wasnt directed towards you so don't feel offended.

Not that I really care but I've been on this forum long enough to know I have at least eight years on you and i've seen your pic, so please don't front.

oDoUoSoKo
06-25-2007, 09:34 AM
sorry....your very wrong....ur not.

Deity Allah
06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
This is honestly one of the toughest compare and contrast questions on who is better that I ever could have thought of. If you put a gun to my head on pure skill Pos > Q-Tip but Phife> Dave

From a production stand point they both were solid. Out of all all 4 (since Maseo, Jarobi & Shaheed ain't rhyme) Pos was the best MC. Therefore, I'll go with De La , but by a hair

Longbongcilvaringz
06-25-2007, 10:59 AM
im not comparing that album..matta of fact...i made a mistake with the title...i meant... which of them is better period...where's tribe's grind date?

so overall discography wise?

if you'd said that at the start i reckon the poll might look a bit different, de la is fairly under rated through, in terms of their impact and longevity.

PANDA PISS
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
This is honestly one of the toughest compare and contrast questions on who is better that I ever could have thought of. If you put a gun to my head on pure skill Pos > Q-Tip but Phife> Dave

From a production stand point they both were solid. Out of all all 4 (since Maseo, Jarobi & Shaheed ain't rhyme) Pos was the best MC. Therefore, I'll go with De La , but by a hair

maseo has spit some rhymes over the years, he aint bad actually.

CharlesJones
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
A Tribe Called Quest are better than De La Soul because they did better albums than De La. The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders, Beats Rhymes And Life, The Love Movement albums are better than all of De La's albums. De La has done some good albums i like such as Buhloone Mindstate, Stakes Is High, AOI:Mosaic Thump, AOI:Bionix, The Grind Date, De La Soul Is Dead. I wish Tribe never broke up. They should've signed with another label since they were fed up with Jive records. Phife should've released more solo albums too because his Ventilation album is tight. QTip turned gay when he went solo LOL.

Polocash7
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
U could go either way. I'll give the edge to De La because they are still putting out quality music. Heads need to check out The Grind Date & The Mission:impossible-mixtape