PDA

View Full Version : New Pharoahe Monch album? Opinions? Reviews?

Galvatron97
06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
So I'm thinkin about coppin the new Pharoahe monch album and i was wondering if I could get some opinions on it? .....

Is it great? Good? Worth buying? Album of the year candidate?

i know its only about 12 tracks, and i heard that the first half of the album is fire, and the last half is ehhh.....

comments appreciated.....

Visionz
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
its been over seven years since dude has been able to release an official album (fuckin record companies) and Internal Affairs has been pulled everywhere (from what I understand) due to the legal issues over the godzilla sample in Simon Says, sticking that incredible album forever 200k sold. Damn shame.
I'm picking this up today because I've been waitin those entire seven years, and because with all the label bullshit he's gone through, Monch could use the support.

Galvatron97
06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Yea but i aint gonna buy an album just bc its been 7 years.....ill buy it if its good and worth picking up, but ive been hearing mixed reviews on it.....like the first 6 tracks or so are fire and the last half are like not his best stuff.....
I love Monch and I thought Internal Affairs was a banger but I just wanna know how Desire is......

KoolGenius
06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
It's a grea album, not better then 'Internal Affiars' but 1 of the best releases this years till.

4/5 to me.

soulonice413
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
its like 10 at best buy...im buyin 8 copies and i recommend u all do the same

Visionz
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Woke up this morning, smoked a joint, kicked back and let the music play.

Pharoahe really feels like he's on some revolutionary shit from the get-go. He does it completely different from someone like IT, who'll just come at you with venom and facts, Monch's music here speaks more to the soul. I think he captures perfectly the hope and the despair that gets mixed together in these dark times.

There will people that undoubtedly get thrown a little off from track 9 (Body Baby) on. He for the most part maintains a harder edge in beat selection up till that point but keep in mind that while the beats and the moods of the songs start to change up, Pharoahe is lyrically just as sharp and flow just as fuckin crazy as it ever was. That aspect of the album is entirely consistent. He's exploring the different situations of what it is to be a grown ass man in this world which will probably turn some of the youner heads away towards the end but he never takes a track off. The lyricism is immaculate the whole way through and finishing off with Trilogy (excluding the bonus track) is the kind of bluesy, hey joe meets hip-hop and the 21st century kind of expermentation that I wish more artist were brave enough to try.

The 7 year wait didn't dissapoint a bit. Go out and BUY this ish already.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Woke up this morning, smoked a joint, kicked back and let the music play.

Pharoahe really feels like he's on some revolutionary shit from the get-go. He does it completely different from someone like IT, who'll just come at you with venom and facts, Monch's music here speaks more to the soul. I think he captures perfectly the hope and the despair that gets mixed together in these dark times.

There will people that undoubtedly get thrown a little off from track 9 (Body Baby) on. He for the most part maintains a harder edge in beat selection up till that point but keep in mind that while the beats and the moods of the songs start to change up, Pharoahe is lyrically just as sharp and flow just as fuckin crazy as it ever was. That aspect of the album is entirely consistent. He's exploring the different situations of what it is to be a grown ass man in this world which will probably turn some of the youner heads away towards the end but he never takes a track off. The lyricism is immaculate the whole way through and finishing off with Trilogy (excluding the bonus track) is the kind of bluesy, hey joe meets hip-hop and the 21st century kind of expermentation that I wish more artist were brave enough to try.

The 7 year wait didn't dissapoint a bit. Go out and BUY this ish already.

agreed man he killed every track man

Crackspace
06-28-2007, 12:23 AM
its like 10 at best buy...im buyin 8 copies and i recommend u all do the samewat a waste of 80$

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
i heard this over my boys house and damn, i am blown away. Best of 2007 by far! Im buying me a copy when i get some money. til' then, bootleggin.

Visionz
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I expected Pharoahe to get more love on these boards? Who else has checked this out??

I know it only just dropped Tues but still...........................

Galvatron97
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
After a few listens I can honestly say I'm feeling 80% of the album....prob like 9 or 10 out of the 13 tracks....
Desire, Body Baby, Welcome to the Terrordome, Let's Go, Bar Tap, So Good w/ Erykah Badu.....shit is mad ill!!!!
Trilogy was a little long for me, and the short intro track is skippable.....

Marc051
06-28-2007, 05:48 PM
He still got skills but the cd overall is too soft for his capability to tear up tracks. I guess that hip-hop in 2007....

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
plz up trilogy sum1

TAURO
06-28-2007, 06:19 PM
I just copped it, but im gonna give it a few spins before I give my opinion.

xHard to Earnx
06-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Sucks after Body Baby, PE cover totally unnecessary.

TAURO
06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
plz up trilogy sum1

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2476188954a293/

drippie k
06-28-2007, 06:33 PM
if its anything like the verses he dropped for sergio mendes...anything remotely close, i'm coppin it

Visionz
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Sucks after Body Baby, PE cover totally unnecessary.
its only a partial cover (he drops a new verse on it) and if you don't think that Welcome to the Terrodome isn't relevant to these modern times, well then you might want to start paying a little more attention :mmmyah:

xHard to Earnx
06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I get it. It just doesn't belong on this record. Maybe as a bonus track at the end or something, but not right up front like that (or in the middle, wherever it is).

Olive Oil Goombah
06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I love Pharaohe...Damn I didnt know that about internal affairs....glad i copped mine years ago. The song with MOP, Pharoahs verse is on another level.

Im gettin this just cuz of PMs track record. Dude is always coming ill, I too am surprised he dont get more love overall.

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
06-29-2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.zshare.net/audio/2476188954a293/

thank you much.

tical2000
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I dont know what the hell you guys are talking about....but this album is a major dissapointment......I am a huge Pharoahe Monch fan and have been waiting 8 years for the follow up to the classic "internal Affairs"......after like 4-5 listens to "desire" I cant get into it.......like 95% of albums released today, there is no consistency through the album, and he is trying to appeal to all markets, which makes for an inconsistent album.......

he is obviously trying to make a song that sounds like Gorillaz "feel good inc" or Gnarls Barkley "crazy" with "body Baby", however it does not work.....plus it does not say much when one of the best songs is a remake of a Public Enemy song.....

I am not saying the album is terrible, but it sure is a major dissapointment after the years of waitng.....

....hip hop is really lossing me

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs 5/5
Pharoahe Monch -Desire 3.5/5

Galvatron97
07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Damn Tical how can you not like tracks like the self titled Desire.....or the black milk produced Let's Go???
And you cant tell me that Bar Tap is not a ill track about your typical night at a bar tryin ta pick up women.....ill shit!

I agree the Terrordome track is one of the best on the album, but there are other bangerz too.....like Let's Go....

rubyspirit
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
its like 10 at best buy...im buyin 8 copies and i recommend u all do the same

You've GOT to be kidding. Bet you don't, bet you don't... :tease:

I spend my money only on Wu.

Olive Oil Goombah
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
You've GOT to be kidding. Bet you don't, bet you don't... :tease:

I spend my money only on Wu.

Last CD i spent money on was No Said Date and Made in Brooklyn, bought em at the same time, and was not dissapointed. Other than these, I'm dling everything from now on. Thats how I got the Vatican mxtpe 2....I guess ill shell out the bucks for Rae's new shit...

Prolifical ENG
07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I dont know what the hell you guys are talking about....but this album is a major dissapointment......I am a huge Pharoahe Monch fan and have been waiting 8 years for the follow up to the classic "internal Affairs"......after like 4-5 listens to "desire" I cant get into it.......like 95% of albums released today, there is no consistency through the album, and he is trying to appeal to all markets, which makes for an inconsistent album.......

he is obviously trying to make a song that sounds like Gorillaz "feel good inc" or Gnarls Barkley "crazy" with "body Baby", however it does not work.....plus it does not say much when one of the best songs is a remake of a Public Enemy song.....

I am not saying the album is terrible, but it sure is a major dissapointment after the years of waitng.....

....hip hop is really lossing me

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs 5/5
Pharoahe Monch -Desire 3.5/5

I agree with whats underlined. Although there are good tracks on the album it did not work out. It is extremely difficult to make an album like that to appeal. But when an artist gets older and is independent, sometimes there are things they want to do.

xHard to Earnx
07-02-2007, 11:18 PM
he is obviously trying to make a song that sounds like Gorillaz "feel good inc" or Gnarls Barkley "crazy" with "body Baby", however it does not work.....

It doesn't work because

1) It's not trying to be like those songs

and

2) It sounds nothing like those songs.

Vegan
07-03-2007, 12:03 AM
i downloaded it a few weeks ago, gave it a listen and deleted it. it is fucking trash.

Visionz
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree with whats underlined. Although there are good tracks on the album it did not work out. It is extremely difficult to make an album like that to appeal. But when an artist gets older and is independent, sometimes there are things they want to do.I think there's more consistency with theme than others are giving credit for. The lyrics stay subversely political through the first nine or so tracks, when he switches to talking about his personal life the songs go from, meeting at the bar, to love in marriage, to her fucking around with his best friend and killin 'em both.

I'm sure some of the beats and hooks are there to try to spark some commercial appeal but to me it never seems like he's spittin commercial lyrics, even his love songs have a realism to 'em that pretty much any commercial joint just isn't gonna touch (besides a couple that Common's put out there)

venex
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
a lot of different meanings on this album I see...

haven't checked it out though...

I see no one mention "when the gun draws".... or isn't that track on the album ? that was a ill track IMO

fortyglock
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Can sum1 please help explain what monch talks about in final 2 verses, since there are parts that are still a little unclear, peace.

wutangironflag
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
was dissapointed with production other than a few tracks

hide1998
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
This album is ill from beginning to end. I think a lot of people aren't use to nonconvential hip-hop albums like these and would've preferred a more straight-forward mainstream effort from Monch like Infernal Affairs.

Personally, I already bought and own Infernal Affairs so I was hoping he'd go in a completely new direction with this release. I'm glad he did.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
07-13-2007, 12:53 PM
The beats are wack ! I like Pharoahe , but this album is beneath his skill.

fortyglock
07-13-2007, 01:45 PM
For those that don't really like the production, what is it that they most dislike?

lips
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
i think the black milk track "let's go" was the dopest joint. pharoahe belongs on those type of beats.