liquid swords times 2 for me with a side of OB4CL

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
sorry Nas

I'm goin' with GZA two times here...

by both being pretty flawless albums, LS wins because its longer

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
im sorry but illmatic will outshine any other album.

illmatic bangs wayyyy more then liquid swords.
Liquid swords has lyrics , style but its dark .I cant chill with my friends bumping
liquid swords. But they will go crazy once i bump illmatic. So illmatic is a better produced album , ITs not dark . He talks about crime but he spits it in a way that u can bop ur head too while smiling, But when u listen to GZA that nigga has that dark style.

both are masterpieces but illmatic wins .

OTB
07-06-2007, 07:12 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w51/OTBOTB/100_0141.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

liquid swordz iz an album that nas iz not capable of-
conversely, gza could have blessed us with an illmatic if he'd chozen 2-

my vote> SWORDZ

OTB - live and uncut

TAURO
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Liquid Swords by faaaaaaaaaaaar.........few can fuck with that album, Illmatic is dope as fuck too, don't get me wrong but Liquid Swords all the way for me.

OTB
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
yo tauro-

you nailed it rzarazor sharp sunn-

peace yo-

oDoUoSoKo
07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
id say DEAD on equal....but jus to vote....GZA.

OTB
07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
yo hanamichi-

i can cool with MY homeboyz bumpin swordz-

not sure what kind of cypher you reppin-

peace tho-

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-06-2007, 07:45 PM
yo hanamichi-

i can cool with MY homeboyz bumpin swordz-

not sure what kind of cypher you reppin-

peace tho-

im sorry man but i cant be in a good mood while listening to investigative reports. sorry

i dont get happy listening to wu tang, I get sad and think about killing people. Thinking about crime all the time. BUt illmatic its a different story .

i wish i can stop listening to wu tang . BUt i fuken cant im ADDICTED . Theres no way out

IRONFLAGCHIEF36
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
ill-mudafuckin-matic

OTB
07-06-2007, 08:55 PM
gimme 3 skits
and 6 joints off swordz
and its sonnin illmatic-

i'm sorry-
and illmatic iz 1 of the illest joints of ALL TIME!

i'm out yo-

crust
07-06-2007, 09:46 PM
liquid swords times 2 for me with a side of OB4CL

yeah pretty much.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
if u go to a nas forum they would say illmatic is better then liquid swords, Just as they say in this forum that liquid swords is better.

TAURO
07-06-2007, 10:47 PM
if u go to a nas forum they would say illmatic is better then liquid swords, Just as they say in this forum that liquid swords is better.

Even if Liquid Swords had no connection to the wu, it would still beat Illmatic in my eyes. Liquid Swords cemented my love of hip hop, it made me appreciate lyrics more and view rhyming as a genuine craft in it's self and not just another way of singing. I guess what im trying to say is that my choice was based on the fact that LS truly means something to me and that I didn't just choose it over Illmatic because im a wu fan.

Also ofcourse a Nas forum would choose Illmatic over LS, it's to be expected. But to be honest, I can't hate on anyone that picks Illmatic over LS because it's also a remarkable album and another high point in hip hop.

Paranoid
07-07-2007, 12:09 AM
liquid is a lyrical monster so it wins that category
i guess i could say illmatic got better beats but personally id rather listen to liquid over illmatic. but im a wu head

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
if it was a poll about OB4CL / It Was Written....than Wu beats would won, but I like the lyrics better...

but to me LS is really superior to Illmatic

The Hound
07-07-2007, 01:14 AM
liquid swords all day every day

11th Chamber
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
I voted both options for Liquid Swords.

RZA beats cant be fucked with, especially on LS.

And GZA's lyrics top Nas.

Storm
07-07-2007, 01:59 AM
i think liquid swords is a better overall album than Illmatic, but i think because Liquid Swords has a different theme to it and the subject matter of it and words being used in it are kind of different/unique compared to a hip hop album like Illmatic that has more basic and relevent topics, more hip hop fans would rather listen to illmatic because its more understanable and relatable to them and the average hip hop fan. But, LS is better to me because both albums match each other on lyrics but because LS had the great skits on it and was a Little longer, production wise LS beats Illmatic.

TSA
07-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Liquid swords is lyrically better then Illmatic? that's just retarded.

get out of here with that shit,

nothing on Liquid swords fucks with NY State of Mind, there's a reason why Illmatic is fucking ILLMATIC and liquid swords is liquid swords.

both good, but come on ppl, seriously, come on.

Bg_Knocc_Out
07-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Liquid Swords right here, GZA is just an intelligent MC, and it draws me in into. GZA's metaphors and hard-knock lyrics are unmatched by ANY MC, but that's my opinion. Beat wise, Illmatic takes it, to be honest, I don't really like RZA's beats oh so much most of the time, but at the same time, having crappy beats let me think of the lyrics alot more. LS to me, is exactly what to me what Tauro said. That's why I chose LS, and right now, Illmatic is a overrated album, you may disagree, but that's just my opinion.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-07-2007, 02:54 AM
@ThaShaolinAssassin

nah, man

like I said....just every guest apperance is mind blowing and classic...

but we could consider the fact that on Illmatic is just one guest spot...

but than again, these lyrics by the LS album can't be topped..

Ghost_Deini_
07-07-2007, 03:00 AM
illmatic
illmatic
illmatic
illmatic...

GENERAL WISE
07-07-2007, 03:17 AM
I voted all options but really LS >>> Illmatic

TSA
07-07-2007, 04:22 AM
@ThaShaolinAssassin

nah, man

like I said....just every guest apperance is mind blowing and classic...

but we could consider the fact that on Illmatic is just one guest spot...

but than again, these lyrics by the LS album can't be topped..

name ONe guest spot that's better then Az's verse. Seriously ppl, i like Wu just as much as you do, but you have to admit your being kinda bais.

Nas's flow> Gza's
Nas's Voice> Gza's

Nas's methaphors im STILL trying to get 10 years later, and a new on hits me everyday.

who ever said illmatic is overrated is tripping, it's literally the perfect hip hop album. Go to listen to It Ain't To Tell.

"My mic check is life your death, breath in a sniper's breath"...

DO YOU FUCKING GET THAT. seriously. DO YOU GET THAT SHIT. and he kicks it like it's nothing, your not even supposed to notice something that ill happened.

and it's also the most quoted album since Paid In Full. The more quote a hip hop album has the better, it's fact.

"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death."

is almost unnanimously the best line in rap, ever.

"The essence of Adolescents leave my body now im freshened"

"The thieves theme, play me at night they won't act right"

"Im out for presidents to represent me"

"I dropped out of cooley high"

"I rap infront of more niggas then in the slave ships"

"My style switches like a faggot"

every line on that CD is perfection

lets look at the weakest song on Illmatic and weakest on liquid swords, then the best of the two.

WuGambino
07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Illmatic goes down easier, so it gives the illusion of being better.
But it's not. Both my votes to LS.

HarlemDiplomat
07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Liquid Swords' production is better than Illmatic's

I like Nas alot but I think Illmatic is over rated. The only reason most people say its classic is because everyone else does. For real Nas got better after Illmatic and whenever I listn to it it just sounds dated and unprofessional. It was a rookie LP and Nas stepped his game up over the years.

Durag
07-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Ill-fuckin-matic. Both are absoloute classics and 2 of my favourite hip-hop albums of all time, but Illmatic is THE hip-hop album. LS probably has more of aquired taste than Illmatic thats why it wont be universally recognised as as great an album as Illmatic. I think it is, but just lags a bit behind in terms of greatness. And if this was any other hip-hop forum, Illmatic would win hands down

Suga Duga
07-07-2007, 07:41 AM
a clear tie to me...

OTB
07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
yo ill devil, dope sig^

noel411
07-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I don't think 'Illmatic' even comes close to comparing to 'Liquid Swords'. Nor do I think it comes close to comparing with '36 Chambers', 'Forever', 'Cuban Linx', or 'Ironman'.

There are pretty much hundreds of hip hop albums from that era that sound the same as 'Illmatic', but can you say the same about those early Wu albums? No, you can't.

'Illmatic' is the most overrated hip hop album of all time imo, and in fact probably one of the most overrated albums in any genre. I don't give a shit if every hip hop fan in the world spends a whole day trying to convince me that 'Illmatic' is a remarkable, insanely good album. At the end of the day I'm still gonna hold the opinion that it is nothing more than a very good album.

OTB
07-07-2007, 09:36 AM
shaolin assassin puts up a decent argument-
however, about the guest spot issue-

priest on 'b.i.b.l.e' grandsonz az

rza killed it on the joint when he said
'camaflouge chameleon
ninjaz scalin your building
no time to grab your gun they a'ready got your wife and children-

then deck-

no time to freeze
undercoverz eaze up in grand prix
and sieze packagez and pocket the currency-
clicks control strips full clips get sprayed
yellow tape barricadez sidewalks where bodiez lay

SWORDZ-

peace

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-07-2007, 09:37 AM
nah, Illmatic ain't overrated...it is what it is...but LS is better, plain and simple

Guarded By Martyrs
07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Killah hills 10304 alone is better than Illmatic.

Suga Duga
07-07-2007, 01:51 PM
yo ill devil, dope sig^

thx man, tell me when you want a sig

Paranoid
07-07-2007, 02:42 PM
"picture blood baths and elevator shafts
like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft"

nuff said.

that entire verse shits all over illmatic.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-07-2007, 02:50 PM
"picture blood baths and elevator shafts
like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft"

nuff said.

that entire verse shits all over illmatic.

lol plz think about what ur saying "shits all over illmatic"

are u fuken stupid .

let me ask u again are u fuken stupid

Come Honor Face
07-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Yo imo Illmatic is incredibly overrated! I think tha beats are almost all wack!
My rating of Illmatic would be 10/10 lyricly 6/10 production = 8/10 overall.
Liquid Swords would go more like 11/10 lyricly 12/10 production = 3rd greatest hip hop album ever!(IMO) Behind only Wu Tang Forever + OB4CL.

RagnaroK
07-07-2007, 03:55 PM
liquid by far you know why cuz is like a cinematographic album with all the kung fu skit adding to already great lyrics and beats is a well thought album classic and uniquely put together

nas is classic no doubt but to me is something that someone with good lyrics can do if he got the right producers on the other hand liquid swordz is something that only rza and gza can reproduce

sakk
07-07-2007, 04:00 PM
This shouldn't be a competitive matter.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Yo imo Illmatic is incredibly overrated! I think tha beats are almost all wack!
My rating of Illmatic would be 10/10 lyricly 6/10 production = 8/10 overall.
Liquid Swords would go more like 11/10 lyricly 12/10 production = 3rd greatest hip hop album ever!(IMO) Behind only Wu Tang Forever + OB4CL.

What?? the beats are the best part of the album thats why i liked it.
oh man i hate this forum

Paranoid
07-07-2007, 04:06 PM

are u fuken stupid .

huh? it does. that verse is fucking insane. i love illmatic but liquid swords is a lyrical masterpiece and i like it more. no im not fuckin stupid, are you?

Paranoid
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
also, the beats on illmatic are off the wall ERIC i dont know what ur smokin

12weLvE
07-07-2007, 04:10 PM
These things are almost pointless to post in a wutang board, but yo I am going with Liquid Swords all day... I am in a great mood today...some great Wu-tang news on the Wu-tang chamber forum.

Big Risk
07-07-2007, 04:29 PM
ILLMATIC! so much better. Gza to me is kinda boring.

Come Honor Face
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
also, the beats on illmatic are off the wall ERIC i dont know what ur smokin

I liked tha beats on It Was Written, and I Am better than Illmatic. I don't know man. People tell me i'm crazy for it all the time. But every time i listen 2 it. I skip through just about every track. Them beats is just wack!

GreenPoop!
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
This is laughable.

Dante
07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Lyrically, it's a tie. Production wise, LS got this by far. I love LS dark atmospheric production. Both albums are classics

GreenPoop!
07-07-2007, 05:01 PM
"I'm taking rappers to a new plateau"

Shit ain't that the truth.

Prolifical ENG
07-07-2007, 05:02 PM
LS is always a great solo and extremely underrated. But Illmatic is the best hip hop album of all time.

Come Honor Face
07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
What?? the beats are the best part of the album thats why i liked it.
oh man i hate this forum

This comin from a cat that said his favorite all time album is Mase's Harlem World. LOL

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
This comin from a cat that said his favorite all time album is Mase's Harlem World. LOL

my fav of all time is supreme clientele . And harlem world is a well produced album.

i have alot of fav albums.

the truth is liquidswords put me on wu , But illmatic put me on hiphop.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I liked tha beats on It Was Written, and I Am better than Illmatic. I don't know man. People tell me i'm crazy for it all the time. But every time i listen 2 it. I skip through just about every track. Them beats is just wack!

than yeah, maybe it just ain't for you...but what about the lyrics, where do u stand?

Tecknowledgist
07-07-2007, 07:31 PM
They're very different styled albums. I don't even think there is a comparison here. It's all biased. If you like dark, gritty shit, you'll like Liquid Swords more. Otherwise, you'll prefer Illmatic. Not to mention, this is on a Wu-Tang board.

I love both albums and I think they both influenced countless albums. Really, cats could post lyrics from both albums here all day, and they'd still be convinced that one is better than the other. They're both amazing lyricists, and Primo and RZA are both amazing producers.

Fuck a poll.

Urban_Journalz
07-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I can't vote on this one.

While Liquid Swords is gritty, and moody, the lyrics are slammin, the beats are beautiful, Illmatic has more of a soulful feel to it. I can listen to Illmatic sittin' at the beach, or in the subway. Liquid Swords is designed for the city, any city. Period. Doesn't really mix well with a peaceful setting. Maybe "Living In The World Today" and "Shadowboxin'", but that's about it.

I guess it depends on my mood.

I love 'em both though.

I can't say which one is better on either subject.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-07-2007, 08:42 PM
yall must be deaf 4om all the spunk in ur ears

illmatic obviously

WuGambino
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM

You must be smokin something.
I voted LS on both but Illmatic still has INCREDIBLE production... far better than those albums you named.

noel411
07-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I listened to 'Illmatic' again today after following this thread.

I don't think it would even be in my top 50 hip hop albums. Possibly not even my top 100.

The only time I ever even listen to it is when I read a thread like this. Never because I actually want to listen to it. And during these listens I have never been overly impressed by it.

Come Honor Face
07-08-2007, 02:15 PM
than yeah, maybe it just ain't for you...but what about the lyrics, where do u stand?

Illmatic lyrics 10/10 no doubt. Beats 6/10 at best.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I listened to 'Illmatic' again today after following this thread.

I don't think it would even be in my top 50 hip hop albums. Possibly not even my top 100.

The only time I ever even listen to it is when I read a thread like this. Never because I actually want to listen to it. And during these listens I have never been overly impressed by it.

ur from australia i dont blame u .
U dont understand the slang thats first of all . And u dont know where he comes from . Thats why .

first of all i can tell ur not a hip hop head.
Im sorry but do me a favor never ever say that in public. Their really going to laugh at u , Its kinda pathetic. If illmatic aint in a top 5 list, U know do me a favor just stop listening to rap . this aint for u listen to some r&b shit . Plz

"not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard
"not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard "not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard "not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard

the worst fuken shit i have ever heard in forum history .
FUKEN PATHETIC

1 more thing before i go, plz let me repeat myself im fuken disgusted by the ignorance,I have never ever ever ever ever ever heard this kind of shit in my life
OH YA I GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS LIKE THIS,
IGNORANCE I GOT NO RESPECT FOR
FUCK ALL UR OPINIONS

ALL OF THEM FUK THEM

wuswordz95
07-08-2007, 03:15 PM

are u fuken stupid .

THAT DUDE IS RIGHT NOT STUPPID

venex
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Illmatic goes down easier, so it gives the illusion of being better.
But it's not. Both my votes to LS.

yup, that's right....

LS is my shit..|)

RagnaroK
07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
yo son LS is a very creative album which nobody has top or even done today when you hear that kids voice on the intro representing the rap battles when dule of the iron mic the shoguns leader challenging the assassin representing gza challenging any mc out there or when that girl or boy has nightmare and hes father say what a time you choose to be born representing the hard world we are born into and when the album is closing you hear the last words of a slain warrior representing gza deadly lyrics

nas has none of that illmatic is better lyrically cuz it has more to do with a black kid growing up in the hood and going throu shit and its has more realistyc sence then LS

but beat wise... it shouldn't even be a question LS stomp Ill all the way

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 04:06 PM
when i listen to illmatic i dont listen to the beat, I follow nas flow. Nobody at that time had it ill like him. I never listen to the beat i follow the flow . I memorized that shit by heart. If u play ny state of mind right now id go crazy

the beats were simple on purpose so u can follow him and listen to him.

RagnaroK
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
each of us have our own way and reason of listening the music

if that is your style then i can totally see why you love illmatic so much so i respect that

mine goes more for the beat the energy the mc deliver the imagination that took for the creation of the album so i chosen LS

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-08-2007, 05:28 PM
each of us have our own way and reason of listening the music

if that is your style then i can totally see why you love illmatic so much so i respect that

mine goes more for the beat the energy the mc deliver the imagination that took for the creation of the album so i chosen LS

that's where I stand too

Guarded By Martyrs
07-08-2007, 05:54 PM
GZA will lyricallty murder Nas who to me has become a tad like Jay-Z (arrogant) and ALL of GZA's albums are better than ALL of Nas' I think
It Was Written or NAStradarmus is better than Illmatic.

noel411
07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
ur from australia i dont blame u .
U dont understand the slang thats first of all . And u dont know where he comes from . Thats why .

first of all i can tell ur not a hip hop head.
Im sorry but do me a favor never ever say that in public. Their really going to laugh at u , Its kinda pathetic. If illmatic aint in a top 5 list, U know do me a favor just stop listening to rap . this aint for u listen to some r&b shit . Plz

"not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard "not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard "not even in the top 100" is the most fuken pathetic shit i have ever heard

the worst fuken shit i have ever heard in forum history .
FUKEN PATHETIC

1 more thing before i go, plz let me repeat myself im fuken disgusted by the ignorance,I have never ever ever ever ever ever heard this kind of shit in my life
OH YA I GOT NO RESPECT FOR OPINIONS LIKE THIS,
IGNORANCE I GOT NO RESPECT FOR
FUCK ALL UR OPINIONS

ALL OF THEM FUK THEM
Iím gonna copy and paste this post and save it as a wordpad file, and use it to answer anybody who should ever ask why I have no respect for most hip hop fans, or even people in general. You are a mindless sheep. You stand in a field emulating all the other sheep and following them when they move. You are a pitiful drone who is so frustrated by his lack of ability to conduct independent thought, and this causes you to get upset and disgusted by somebody who is capable of doing so. Not only this, but it further frustrates you that you cannot actually present a case for what does make this album so unbelievably outstanding, which leaves you only with pathetic little insults to combat those who shatter your false sense of reality in which everybody else is just as dependent on other peopleís opinions as you are.

I DID NOT say it is not in THE top 100, I said it is possibly not in MY top 100. Do you understand the difference, or is it all a bit much for you?

Like I said in my first post, I think it is a very good album. Nothing more. There are countless albums that I would rather listen to than it, and Iím not gonna pretend I think itís the greatest thing ever just because so many other people, like yourself, do. I accept that it is a classic album. I canít say itís not because so many people consider it to be such an important album. Some of whom are genuine, and many of whom are sheep like you. That makes it a classic regardless of how I may feel about it. Itís definitely not a personal classic for me though.

Itís human nature to blindly follow the crowd, unfortunately. I donít blame you. Now go back to the paddock and wait for your next instruction.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Iím gonna copy and paste this post and save it as a wordpad file, and use it to answer anybody who should ever ask why I have no respect for most hip hop fans, or even people in general. You are a mindless sheep. You stand in a field emulating all the other sheep and following them when they move. You are a pitiful drone who is so frustrated by his lack of ability to conduct independent thought, and this causes you to get upset and disgusted by somebody who is capable of doing so. Not only this, but it further frustrates you that you cannot actually present a case for what does make this album so unbelievably outstanding, which leaves you only with pathetic little insults to combat those who shatter your false sense of reality in which everybody else is just as dependent on other peopleís opinions as you are.

I DID NOT say it is not in THE top 100, I said it is possibly not in MY top 100. Do you understand the difference, or is it all a bit much for you?

Like I said in my first post, I think it is a very good album. Nothing more. There are countless albums that I would rather listen to than it, and Iím not gonna pretend I think itís the greatest thing ever just because so many other people, like yourself, do. I accept that it is a classic album. I canít say itís not because so many people consider it to be such an important album. Some of whom are genuine, and many of whom are sheep like you. That makes it a classic regardless of how I may feel about it. Itís definitely not a personal classic for me though.

Itís human nature to blindly follow the crowd, unfortunately. I donít blame you. Now go back to the paddock and wait for your next instruction.

i dident read what u wrote cause i dont give a fuk.
but ur from australia. U dont know nothing about the streets thats why u dont like the album

peace

"not even in the top 100"= australia

Guarded By Martyrs
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM

I am definatly not a Sheep LOL.
Liquid Swords is better than Illmatic in my view because :

1.The production is quite remarkable RZA is on point .
2.GZA lyrics paint visual pictures like Killah Priest, thats why he features on it.
3.All of the tracks are very similar suiting the album's sound.
4.Liquid swords has great features on it I think Illmatic has 1.
5.Killah Hills 10304 is something Nas will never be able to accomplish lyrically.
6.Investigative Reports & Duel Of The Iron Mic shit all over Illmatic alone.
7.It's Wu-Tang.

Like I said I don't think this is a just comparisssion NAStradarmus & It Was Written are better.

Olive Oil Goombah
07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok, believe me on this, I am both a huge Nas fan and also a huge Wu Tang fan....Nas has fallen out of favor with me lately.

Comparing the two albums, they are both regarded as great albums, but its all up to your personal preference.

Liquid Swords is a great album, it has its own feel to it. Personally, if I were a bigger GZA fan, maybe I would hold it higher in my own personal top choice, but GZA just dont grab me like that. I love Liquid Swords, but you have to look at a few things.

No. 1, the Wu is all over the album, GZA did not carry that album by himself, he had considerable help.
Nas had one guest spot, AZ, and AZ fuckin ripped Lifes A Bitch.

Illmatic is probably my favorite hiphop album of all time, it brings me back to that era when everything pretty much exploded. It was the perfect blend of late 80's type beats with 90's flow. All of his verses on Illmatic are classics, you can play that tape without skipping, and there aint any filler or bullshit.

The beat on The Genesis is dope as fuck, I wish he would have rhymed over it. Illmatic had more of a feel to it, like you could relate to what he was saying and you could connect with Nas. I think thats why he blew up the way he did. People really felt was this dude was saying.

PLus, how old was he at the time? 19-20 years old? He was a prodigy, with all the promise from live at the BBQ....And he never made an album close to that again. His voice and cadence don't even sound the same. Nas was in the fuckin zone when he made that album.

Illmatic any day of the weak for me. Lyrics, delivery, flow, beats, you name it. This is the shit that made me a hip hop fiend....

Olive Oil Goombah
07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Its funny too, because when Jay Z was dissin him, he still was forced to acknowledge Illmatics brilliance.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I am definatly not a Sheep LOL.
Liquid Swords is better than Illmatic in my view because :

7.It's Wu-Tang.

that alone equates to u sucking cock

FiRe WaTeR
07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I think Illmatic is the better lyrically cuz it's got so many different moods. Liquid Swords got better production to me though. Illmatic's better.

TAURO
07-10-2007, 10:55 AM
For all those claiming Illmatic is better.......the poll has spoken, now lets end this bullshit thread and move on.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Which is better lyrically and production-wise

To me, in both ways LS

Come Honor Face
07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
It was never fair here anyway. I've already stated that Liquid Swords is WAAAAAYYYY better imo. In the situation, this being a Wu website and them being the greatest group of all time, Illmatic was represented pretty well. It couldnt be expected to win the poll. Especially against Liquid Swords. Listened 2 Illmatic real good last night. Still just can't feel tha beats. Nas fuckin murked that shit though. No doubt!

J.T.S.
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
L.s.

Exodus
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
In the situation, this being a Wu website and them being the greatest group of all time, Illmatic was represented pretty well. It couldnt be expected to win the poll.

That's all I was asking for when I made this thread. I've posted similar polls on different forums, but I only got feedback from around 3 or 4 people, and even those people just responded just so they can say 'rap sux' or 'I haven't heard of any of those'. You can't begin to comprehend how much that's been bugging me. I make a thread about Blackstar's Respiration, Queen Latifah's Unity, Nas' Life's a Bitch, A Tribe Called Quest's Electric Relaxation, and so on and so on, and I only get one response. Okay. I make a thread about Luke & Too $hort, and I have to explain to people that I'm not talking about the guy from the Starwars movies. Okay. Every other day I see a multi-page thread filled with people that ignore my threads than have the nerve to go on a rant and say 'rap sux... all they talk about is money/bitches/bling'. Then, once I make a post the size of an essay about how they don't know what they're talking about, the thread suddenly dies.... then the same exact thread is made a few days later. Do you think I would actually be satisfied with the responses from forums like those?

I honestly didn't know which would win the poll when I made it, and I'm so split down the middle I couldn't decide which one I would have wanted to win the poll (notice I've never stated my opinion on this before), but I just wanted some legitimate answers from people that knew what the fuck they were talking about for once. If I said at the beginning of the thread that I prefered Liquid Swords and everyone else here said they preferred Illmatic, I really wouldn't care, I just got tired of making an endless amount of threads about rap classics, and not getting any real answers because the forum was almost filled to the brink with the IDIOTS that don't know ANYTHING about music besides the Emo shit MTV stuffed down their throats. I saw the 'best Hell on Earth beat' poll and knew that I would be able to get that from this site (I might have joined this site a few days ago, but I've been reading the responses on here since late 2006). Seeing as this thread has 6 pages, I was correct.

I knew that people on this forum would probably come into a Wu-album vs. Non-Wu album poll with some bias, but, after reading the review thread for Illmatic, I knew that if there was one album that could make them actually put aside their bias for a moment and think, it would be this album

Come Honor Face
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Yo it's fuckin great to see a 15 yr old that knows his hip hop. So many cats in their teens have been brainwashed by the laffy taffy shoulder lean bullshit. Everytime I try 2 bless a youngsta (i'm 28) with some Wu, or Gangstarr, or old Mobb Deep, they just shit on it and say, that new T.I is better. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT??? AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Though I don't care much for Illmatic, I can tell you listen to tha real shit. Spread it 2 your classmates homie! You really are 15 aint u?

Exodus
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Yo it's fuckin great to see a 15 yr old that knows his hip hop. So many cats in their teens have been brainwashed by the laffy taffy shoulder lean bullshit. Everytime I try 2 bless a youngsta (i'm 28) with some Wu, or Gangstarr, or old Mobb Deep, they just shit on it and say, that new T.I is better. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT??? AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Though I don't care much for Illmatic, I can tell you listen to tha real shit. Spread it 2 your classmates homie! You really are 15 aint u?

yeah, I'll be a Sophmore when school starts again.

The teachers don't care if we bring ipods to the class, so I've been trying to enlighten my classmates. I'm in South Carolina, so you know kids down here are on that 'TI/Lil Wayne is king' thing, but I've been able to get a lot of people into the classic Hardcore/Gangsta rappers. Scarface, Wu-tang, Biggie, etc...

For now, the problem is getting them into the more political artists. Shit, I remember getting into an argument with a group of kids because i said I liked Mos Def more than I liked Lil Wayne! It's funny, I know white kids that know more about rap history than the majority of the black kids down here, lol

Come Honor Face
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Damn right! it's sad. People don't wanna think or learn when they listen to music anymore. They just wanna real easy catchy hook, a simple $15 casio beat tht's easy to dance to, and some terrible verses about cars, and rims, or ass, and titties. Sad indeed.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
after todays listening...

yo, I love Illmatic...it's one of hip-hop purest little gems...and Nas is one of my fav. ...but LS is just, I don't know, the all together package....

another thing about LS is that after some time u notice some things...like in 'Living in the World Today' song - 'Father U C King the Police' line...haha, I love this line, its just some raw shit

Olive Oil Goombah
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I think Illmatics beat are perfect. They dont overstep the rapper...they compliment Nas' flow and the real perfection of the cd...his lyrics. And they go with the beat perfectly. I dont even think Liquid Swords is the best Wu album, so to compare it to Illmatic is still far fetched to me. I think Supreme Clientele and OBFCL are superior to LS.

Olive Oil Goombah
07-10-2007, 07:12 PM
NOw, to compare Cuban Linx to Illmatic....now we have a contest.

Guarded By Martyrs
07-10-2007, 08:27 PM
that alone equates to u sucking cock

Fuck You - In my opinion ANYONE in Wu-Tang ia better than Nas if anyone is sucking cock it's you suck Nas'.
Stick to the question dumbass

I would normally wouldn't say this but you started it -
By the way your Graff is SHIT.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-11-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlreY-jkwWg

yo check this, I just found a little vid about Illmatic, it's cool

fortyglock
07-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Both brilliant albums, but I just feel LS more as a whole album, not to mention the lyrics are on another level on that, as well as some of the darkest production on a hip hop album. But Illmatic is also a really dope album, can't take anything away from it.

TheFunkyDrummer
01-15-2012, 06:03 PM
TSA and SaqurakiHanamichi are fucking idiots. They don't take the arguments seriously. If you think 'lyrically' Nas was better on Illmatic than GZA on Liquid Swords then you should question your hiphop-knowledge. There is absolutely no fucking way Nas is on GZA's lyrical level. Listen to songs like One Time 4 Your Mind & Represent. What's so lyrical about these songs? Illmatic is a brilliant album, but imo production is better on LS. It's handled by 1 producer who gave it a dark gritty sound and the chemistry is perfect. Man don't let me quote Illmatic's lines, I'll destroy your Illmatic lines. I know this thread is old, but fuck it.

ShaDynasty
01-15-2012, 06:43 PM
illmatic is better. well undisputably nas has a better flow than gza on this album. but illmatic is more emotional summery type of vibe and LS is harsh and wintry. they're different basically.

Edgar Erebus
01-16-2012, 05:30 AM
I could say any answer and change my mind according to the weather, it's ridiculous to constantly rank rap albums anyway, they're both quite nice and Primus sucks.

TheFunkyDrummer
01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I could say any answer and change my mind according to the weather, it's ridiculous to constantly rank rap albums anyway, they're both quite nice and Primus sucks.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but saying Illmatic better lyrically is rediculous. If you favor Illmatic over Liquid Swords, then that's fine, but saying it's better lyrically is plain stupid. Google Liquid Swords if you want to know the true definition of lyricism

cj wisty
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
i agree with the genius. gza had far better lyrics

cj wisty
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
in fact ill give u an example of how liquid swords was so lyrical

'Now look whose on the witness stand (singin), a well known (soprano)
A (smash hit) from Sammy Gravano'

all the words in brackets are all terms used in singing and music e.g. a smash hit is a song that's done very well in the charts

'A (smash hit) from Sammy Gravano
Here's the (plan) minimum for the (hit), two hundred grand
(Half time) at the (game) blastin niggas out the (stands)
The (sharp-shooters) hit the prosecutor, (judges) are sent'

all the words in the brackets are terms used in sports. i think the sport is american football but im not sure cuz i dont know much about it. e.g. half time=the part of the game when the teams take a break

i also love how the line 'A smash hit from Sammy Gravano' is in both allegories. its very clever and witty yet its written in such a plan non-boastful manner.

liquid swords is far more lyrical than illmatic.

Socrates92
01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I never listen to Illmatic, whereas LS gets regular bumps. Producton wise and lyrically it's better IMO

TheFunkyDrummer
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
i agree with the genius. gza had far better lyrics
See that I have listened 1000 times to Liquid Swords and still didn't know that shit about Killah Hills 10304. I know a lot of the double entendres and metaphors he uses in it though. Like when he kicks it and says Restaurants on the stakeout so order the food to take out with the John Gotti stuff. Then he says chaos outside the spark steakhouse, Castellano was killed there. GZA's visual is amazing and there is no album out there that can reach any album GZA made since Liquid Swords. What's up rakimkoolgrapwu it's me from youtube & last

cj wisty
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
yeah i know lol wheres that caribbean connection canibus thread u told me about

TheFunkyDrummer
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
yeah i know lol wheres that caribbean connection canibus thread u told me about
yes, didn't get any response or must've forgotten reading it or something. Nas lyrically is not on GZA's level. Pro Tools >> Illmatic lyrically and I'm seriously not joking. Illmatic is far better than Pro Tools tho lol. The four words I need to describe gza is genius, clever, witty and visual. Look at this line in 'Third world' where he says visual niggaz paint portraits, cause as artist you should be able to paint pictures with your rhymes and paint what you see&think. He also said it in Reunited, but in a different way see that's GZA's ability, cause he says in Reunited: I splash the paint on the wall, form the mural. Took a look, saw the manifestation if it was plural. The most overrated album of all time when it comes to lyrics = Illmatic. It has like 10 songs, 1 is intro so that's 9 and One Time 4 Your Mind & Represent aren't lyrical so that's just 7 songs. The fuck outta here how is 7 songs on Illmatic that are very lyrical better than GZA's lyrical performance on Liquid Swords which was extremely lyrical. Seriously I love the album it's my 2nd favorite hiphop album of all time, but I got sick of people overrating it.

cj wisty
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
True IWW was far more lyrical than illmatic imo

Crown Fried Patron
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
The one thing Illmatic has over Liquid Swords is the diversity in production. Other than that, LS is as good or better in all other aspects.

TheFunkyDrummer
01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
The one thing Illmatic has over Liquid Swords is the diversity in production. Other than that, LS is as good or better in all other aspects.
Well, A Long Hot Summer by Masta Ace has more diverse production than Illmatic, but that doesn't make it any better. I see what you're getting at though. Liquid Swords besides BIBLE is extremely dark album and it's from the start til I Gotcha Back. This is because Liquid Swords works with one producer RZA who is responsible for almost the whole album, whereas Illmatic has various producers (definitely they belong to the greatests). But I think that's the good thing about LS' production. It has a sound and a theme to it (not saying Illmatic doesn't have that).