PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners and hiphop NY

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
lets talk about hip hop in ny , 90% of your favorite rappers come from new york. But what i dont understand is , how can u like this type of music when u dont understand half of it..

Like I have a friend from the suburbs , he loves rap , and thinks he knows all the ny slang, And when i asked him 5 simple words he dident know them...

So im asking , How do u like this music when u dont understand half of it.

What is "jake" ?
one time?
narco?
five oh?
boggey?
cypher?

i can go forever ,

I remember long time ago , kats from this board reviewed "wu tang forever" song by song, and they gave m.gm the hottest song of the album a 3.5 or a 4. And i believe the reason is because half the time they dident understand what ghost and rae was saying.

Truth is foreigners have no clue.
The reason i made this is because wu music is 90% slang, Rae puts so manny words in a song.

TAURO
07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
People in the uk know more about america and it's culture than you think. the american media has been fed to us for more than twenty years, I've been listening to hip hop since 92. Since that time and more that a thousand cds later, you would think I would start to learn the lingo.

Plus in some parts of the uk we also share your slang, like five o for example. Tv programmes like the wire etc.. have also taught a lot of people the slang that exists in america as well, not nesessarilly myself but more the younger generation.

The point is that young people know young people, no matter were you are from, slang can be easily translated and explained.

Ofcourse if all else fails, just listen to Big L's Ebonics and all will be explained lol.

11th Chamber
07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Foreigners(people from diff. countries) or people that dont live in NY dont understand the slang?

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Foreigners(people from diff. countries) or people that dont live in NY dont understand the slang?

afcorse..... they dont. I dont know how to say "fuck you" in german cause im not from germany

11th Chamber
07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
im sayin are you refering to people that live outside of the U.S., or all people that dont live in N.Y?

maestro wooz
07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
an ignorant thread but he probaly still has a point

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
im sayin are you refering to people that live outside of the U.S., or all people that dont live in N.Y?

out of US

GhettoGnom
07-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Aight.. I'm from Norway.. In the beginning, I didn't understand much. But, I kept on listening to rap because of the music and understood more and more.. I went from listening to Benzino to Kool G Rap.. It just takes time, but after a couple of years you understand nearly everything, and when you don't understand something, you look it up and learn it... Not that hard ;)

Suga Duga
07-09-2007, 05:11 AM
afcorse..... they dont. I dont know how to say "fuck you" in german cause im not from germany

"fick dich"

DJMethods
07-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Fig dicht (Spelling might be off), and I'm from Australia.

I understand a lot of the slang, some i'm like "what the fuck", but 99% I get after listening to a heap of shit. A lot of slang I use you cats don't understand, and a lot of NY rap isn't slang heavy.

HarlemDiplomat
07-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Man, this is bullshit.

I was born in California but my dad was in the NAVY so I moved around alot. He is originally from NYC, old school Queens. I spent alot of my childhood summers in NY and my dad's side of the family is from there.

Now I spent nearly all my life here in Virginia... truthfully alot of slang that is started in NY is well interpreted in other parts of the world and America. I mean, you niggaz know down south slang like "throwed" and "wat it do" and how'd most of you learn that aren't from the south??? Through the music.

I been listening to hip hop since I was born and got into it heavy around 1995-96. To real hip-hop fans most slang from any part of the world is better learned through the music. Like for example... I heard Cappadonna say "tah-tahs" and I heard Ma$e say it too. At first I didn't understand this till I heard someone say something like "She got some big "tah-tahs" then I made that connection. But it was the way it was used in the music that allowed me to draw that connection quick.

I feel what you're saying but you shouldn't underestimate the hip-hop fan no matter where they are in the world, because the art always speaks for itself.

Suga Duga
07-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Fig dicht (Spelling might be off), and I'm from Australia.

I understand a lot of the slang, some i'm like "what the fuck", but 99% I get after listening to a heap of shit. A lot of slang I use you cats don't understand, and a lot of NY rap isn't slang heavy.

you're close man, like I posted above it's: "Fick dich" not "fig dicht"...
anyway german sucks

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Aight.. I'm from Norway.. In the beginning, I didn't understand much. But, I kept on listening to rap because of the music and understood more and more.. I went from listening to Benzino to Kool G Rap.. It just takes time, but after a couple of years you understand nearly everything, and when you don't understand something, you look it up and learn it... Not that hard ;)

true
that's what I just tried to post :)

Wu-Tality
07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
That what we have these forums for.
So whats: boggey, one time and jake?

Meta4
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Almost every place out there has it's own slang. NY's is more notable cuz NY is one of the most know places worldwide.

TAURO
07-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Here is some help explaining some of the slang outta NY, courtesy of Big L

Big L - Ebonics

xU1X4DQPmsk

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM
That what we have these forums for.
So whats: boggey, one time and jake?

boggey is a siggaret
one time is cops
and jake is a cop

TAURO
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I think the first time I heard the saying "One Time" was in the movie Menace II Society, it was they scene were all these street cats are hanging by this wall and then one of the guys yells "One Time" and they all just break out just as a police car is pulling up after them.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't rate MGM down cos I don't understand the slang, I 'd rate it down slightly cos it's simply not one of my favourite tracks on Forever. Wouldn't give it 3.5 though.

What are you basing your belief that no-one outside New York knows this slang on?

TAURO
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
It's a clear cut assumption.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
lets talk about hip hop in ny , 90% of your favorite rappers come from new york. But what i dont understand is , how can u like this type of music when u dont understand half of it..

Like I have a friend from the suburbs , he loves rap , and thinks he knows all the ny slang, And when i asked him 5 simple words he dident know them...

What is "jake" ?
one time?
narco?
five oh?
boggey?
cypher?

i can go forever ,

I remember long time ago , kats from this board reviewed "wu tang forever" song by song, and they gave m.gm the hottest song of the album a 3.5 or a 4. And i believe the reason is because half the time they dident understand what ghost and rae was saying.

The reason i made this is because wu music is 90% slang, Rae puts so manny words in a song.

Its a good question...
First off, at my case, I got talent 4 english language, and 4 the last 4 years I'm 100% commited in gaining knowledge of street slang, im just obsesed with it... But yeah, I cant understand half of the shit most of the time, but if I like the track, i memorize lyrics, and eventually find out what is the meaning for which slang word that got into my head. But, there's so many amazing tracks, and verses that I just feel like a tittie in my mouth... Agter I blaze a couple of spliff, actually while I'm blazin on my balcony, i listen to them songs, and just think while trippin cuz of the weed, and sometimes i get knowledge what an MC wanted to say, selfknowledge, God bless the marijuana for that!!! The group i have trouble to understan is Noughty By Nature. Shit they rhyme so fast and i dont hear the words the spittin...
And Lords of the Underground... I mean i get the half shit they sayin, but not too good...
The MC i understand fully is Masta Ace, that man can deliver words sharp as a steele sword!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

What is "jake" ?
one time?
narco?
five oh?
boggey?
cypher?

i can go forever ,

do you know what xenophobic means you dick?

haha

Longbongcilvaringz
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM

What is "jake" ?
one time?
narco?
five oh?
boggey?
cypher?

i can go forever ,

yeah, i think you do take the title for stupidest threads, and most ridiculous opinions from charlesjones.

:clap: