PDA

View Full Version : Does a rapper's personal life matter when it comes to their music?

HarlemDiplomat
07-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Weezy kissing Baby

Game with a touge ring

2Pac taking ballet

50 Cent leaving his real friends out back

Jay-Z stabbing a dude over a female

Nas being called soft

Tony Yayo homo-like love for 50

Lil Flip's dad calling TI to stop the beef

Jim Jones going to private school

Camron getting punched

Yukmouth getting his chain took

Eminem being bullied for being a wigger

Lil Scrappy going through a metro sexual phase in high school

Santana crying because he didn't know who he was

Ja Rule homo talk

Mobb Deep leaving their fans out back

DMX drug addiction issues

Styles P money troubles

Does any of this mean anything when you're listening to their music?

DJMethods
07-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Depends what they're saying in their music.

Rame
07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Santana crying because he didn't know who he was

What's that about?

You mean Juelz right?

Doesn't matter to me tiough.

TAURO
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Why is there no "YES & NO" option? because for me it's actually a bit of both.

Exodus
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Good question, man. I voted yes, however it's not always important. It might influence how I look at the rapper in question, but it's not going to change my opinion on wheter or not I like his music, it just gives me a better understanding of it. For instance, take Biggie's life before blowing up . It doesn't matter to me when I listen to songs like One More Chance, but it gives me a greater appreciation of songs like Juicy

Little stuff like Weezy kissing Birdman only matters when I'm listening to something like this, lol -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wc9P3utcgdQ

Suga Duga
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Why is there no "YES & NO" option? because for me it's actually a bit of both.
c/s, hard to vote on this one

HarlemDiplomat
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
What's that about?

You mean Juelz right?

Doesn't matter to me tiough.

Yeah he was talking on the What The Game's Been Missing DVD and saying how he went through a stage in his life where he was "finding" himself and it was hard and he cried at that time.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Lil Flip's dad calling TI to stop the beef

hahaha, nobody can fuck with TI

Rame
07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
@ Harlem Diplomat, Haha ok.

TAURO
07-10-2007, 06:32 PM
What for me comes to mind when I see topics like this, is the situation with Big Pun and how he physically abused his wife. I remember when I first heard about this, I began to struggle with whether I would continue to listen to his music. I was quite disgusted by what he did/had done, but after deliberation I chose to focus on just Big Pun and not Christopher Rios the person. It's funny though because I could accept someone that used to sell crack to kids or maybe even taken a life, yet I find it unsettling if they are committing domestic abuse.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-10-2007, 07:09 PM
not about nas being soft but nas leaving all his friends to rot in the projects.But then again u never know what really goes on .

But i dont give a fuk ,

As long as u be real to urself then ill listen to u , If u gonna lie about some shit and put it on the rhyme then i dont even wanna hear about it.
Thats why i dont even listen to 50. Because its fake shit how do u want me to feel that, Ur not shooting bullets fuker stop rapping about it.

Look man i like real rap. What i mean by real? Ill tell u
Back in the day GZA-PASS TH BONE , Rza came up , And said "I tried to bag her for her name , what happend? i dident have the game!!! " He said HE DIDENT HAVE THE GAME! He dident say he was a crazy ass player that fuks everybody , he said he dident have the game! . I was like damn thats some real shit, That song "pass the bone" made my day .

nrw killa bee
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
well, rappers ain't your superman, they cry, they get punched they can get problems financial and robbed. It's not like they scarface or something.....it's a movie.

But if he is a gay or leaving his friends behind, don't like that...

GreenPoop!
07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I accidently voted yes but now that I think about it, no not really.

If they make good music then I'll listen to it, I make not like them as person and think they're stupid.

rubyspirit
07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Hip Hop is about battling ... life. We hear about their experiences in the songs. Most of these guys listed don't say anything I want to hear.

Meta4
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
When an emcee raps about his/her personal life it NEEDS to be fairly accurate and heart-felt.

Tragedy is a PERFECT example of emcees crossin music with personal life. Incorporating personal life into your music is the best HIP-HOP there is.

TAURO
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
When an emcee raps about his/her personal life it NEEDS to be fairly accurate and heart-felt.

Tragedy is a PERFECT example of emcees crossin music with personal life. Incorporating personal life into your music is the best HIP-HOP there is.

I think you could say the same for all forms of music.

11th Chamber
07-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Co-sign. Thats one of the things that made Slim Shady LP so great to me. Cause you can feel the pain that Em was goin threw

tragedykhadafi12
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
stay out of their personal lives

TAURO
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
What are peoples views on pun's personal shit?

Prolifical ENG
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Many big artists in general are hypocritical through their lyrics.

SaqurakiHanamichi
07-11-2007, 12:18 AM

x2

LORD ZERO
07-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Lil Flip's dad calling TI to stop the beef <<<< LOL!!

cap
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
What are peoples views on pun's personal shit?

yeah i saw that shit on his dvd,and i can honestly say i never listened to him the same.
i still bump him now and then,but everytime i do i think about the footage of him pistol whipping his wife...

Meta4
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm not sayin' they need to do it but when an emcee raps about some shit you can relate to that's some real shit. Depth is something that a lot of musicians don't have today and it's refreshing to know that people still do it so I welcome it with open ears. It is THEIR choice to do it as well.

murkoutz
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
thats the realest thing a mc can do is tackle something personal. anybody can make a song about partying and shooting a nigga in the face but its a whole nother ball park to speak on whats really going on with you

2L8Lit da croatianMC
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I dont give a shit.. as long as its good music, and ill verses...