PDA

View Full Version : Would you work for free?

DJMethods
07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
No? So why do you expect an artists to slave over making an album perfect when he's getting next to no money for it anyway.

Need to stop this downloading shit, I reckon underground hip-hop gets played more then anything but most download it and don't buy. BTW I dont mean "backpacker shit", just real hip-hop.

Most "download to see what it's like", but you won't enjoy an album as much that way.

TAURO
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM
No? So why do you expect an artists to slave over making an album perfect when he's getting next to no money for it anyway.

Need to stop this downloading shit, I reckon underground hip-hop gets played more then anything but most download it and don't buy. BTW I dont mean "backpacker shit", just real hip-hop.

Most "download to see what it's like", but you won't enjoy an album as much that way.

I agree that if you download an album first and then buy it. you won't enjoy it as much (at least in the sense that the anticipation is gone). But in this day and age with so many new mc's coming through and old ones making comebacks, all most people are doing is trying to avoid wasting their money. For every one dope album there are five shit one's so for me anyway it's become a try before I buy routine.

I have bought quite a few albums that I had downloaded previously while at the same time, im glad I downloaded first because some albums have been weak to mediocre.
I have only been downloading that last two years though, but I have been into hip hop since 92, and since that time I have acumulated over a thousand albums, all bought blind for the most part. So I have taken many chances in the past, ofcourse now I think I have the right to be more cautious with my purchases.

THE W
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
nothing wrong with DLing an album for evaluation purposes. thats how i found out about immortal technique, warcloud, and Jdilla's donuts album.

if you like the album you downloaded you should put up the money for it. if everyone decided not to buy anything the rap industry would cease to exist inside of 3 years and we wouldnt get anymore new music.

DJMethods
07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree that if you download an album first and then buy it. you won't enjoy it as much (at least in the sense that the anticipation is gone). But in this day and age with so many new mc's coming through and old ones making comebacks, all most people are doing is trying to avoid wasting their money. For every one dope album there are five shit one's so for me anyway it's become a try before I buy routine.

I have bought quite a few albums that I had downloaded previously while at the same time, im glad I downloaded first because some albums have been weak to mediocre.
I have only been downloading that last two years though, but I have been into hip hop since 92, and since that time I have acumulated over a thousand albums, all bought blind for the most part. So I have taken many chances in the past, ofcourse now I think I have the right to be more cautious with my purchases.

I reckon if you pay for something, you're more inclined to like it. Might just be me, but the booklet and everything helps complete an album, bit of backstory into the song.. just shit like that. But I get your point with new MC's, with new guys I'll download a couple of tracks (or album if I'm unsure) to see what they're like.. a lot I'm glad I never paid for as well.

I dunno, just think why would you put months of effort and money into something which might not make you the money back? Even if you like it, most won't pay money again for something they already have.

TAURO
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I dunno, just think why would you put months of effort and money into something which might not make you the money back? Even if you like it, most won't pay money again for something they already have.

That is just a risk that all artists (not just rappers) have to take. If an album is strong people will buy it, release a mediocre album, be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
i said in another thread, that you wouldnt buy pretty much anything else without knowing the quality of it or at least trying it. so why spend hard earned money on something that may be shit quality without been able to even sample it?

bear in mind, i buy 90% of my music, buy generally what i buy is from established artists so i already have a good idea of the quality. if someone recomends something, or im interested in something, i may buy it, but i'll more likely download it to evaluate.

its wrong in some respects to illegally download music, but music prices are ridiculous as it is currently (i understand this isnt the artists fault). personally i have a limited income to spend on albums, and i want what i buy to be worth it.

and i do agree that when you buy an album you give it a much more thorough listen than if you DL it.

Kong
07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
people are trying to get there money up we cant be buying every bit of music we like. the artists are fine for money they need to stop bitching about it.

DJMethods
07-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I get the point about wanting to know the quality... But isn't that why they release singles? Can't you listen to it at the store? Iunno, I buy most of the stuff from word of mouth. I'm not bashing for downloading, I download too (Still gotta catch up on albums too), but it pisses me off when people just download then don't buy even if they have the money/like it. That annoys me, especially with good music from good labels, the more money they get the bigger these artists get. But still got people who refuse to buy anything other then their favourite artists shit. It's not like you can go to a resturant, order a meal, then decide if you wanna pay for it after you've eaten depending if you liked it or not. BTW, this wasnt aimed at any of you guys who posted in here at all, probably have collections bigger then mine.

Just imagine if a Illmatic album came out in this day and age, or 36 Chambers.. Would it even have a big enough impact in the sales charts to have people think "shit, this sells"

That is just a risk that all artists (not just rappers) have to take. If an album is strong people will buy it, release a mediocre album, be prepared to suffer the consequences.

On the flip side, buying a wack album is a risk that consumers have to take, isnt it?

I'm still not convinced most people download AND buy. Be interesting to see how many albums people have bought this year. Funds and shit come into it as well I guess, still interesting to find out.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
ive bought 2 albums that were released this year, and ive bought about 20/25 other hip hop albums on top of that.

however, during jan/feb i bought maybe 20 albums, i went to melbourne etc., but even before that i was buying at least a couple of albums every fortnight or so.

but since then, i dunno, just spent my money on other shit, sometimes its good to go back over old shit instead of constantly flipping through new music.

ive also been getting into alot more non hip hop stuff.

anyway, i dont think there any real "right" way with this.

people who claim to be fans, but dont buy any albums (provided they have the funds), dont seem like real music lovers to me. but maybe they just dont place its not high on their priority list.

when i used to buy everything, i still would say that about 80% of the albums i bought were at least 8/10. so i dunno, i dont mind just buying something if it appeals to me.

but on the flipside, i dont see anything wrong with sampling something.

another thing that complicates it is leaks, albums leak usually at least a whole month before the release (longer in my location), so it really does take confidence in the artist to wait that long.

Prolifical ENG
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Its a complicated issue.

Regardless how many weak albums are coming out to solid ones, there is a lot more underground rap coming out these days. Before when hip-hop didn't have much access to other mediums people would only check out the underground rap in their own area. These days you can easily discover sick artists from just about any geographical region. The problem is how much effort you want to put into getting that exclusive shit (relative to where you live) some of those albums are not only hard to find in the stores but still hard to find on the internet.

There are some albums I have downloaded that I was looking online for, for years. Mostly older out of print stuff so I guess thats a different story considering they are sometimes $70 on ebay and the artist wont even profit.

On the other hand I am glad I sampled that new Pharoahe album as I was almost set on buying it. If I had purchased it, it would never have made it though regular rotations.

That means if there happens to be a sick underground album available in a store near you, its going to cost you. For example, I live in Canada and not every underground album will be pressed here (although I am surprised how much there is). You will need to pay extra for the importing charge, the independent artist gets a lot of points, plus the store will want a big share too so sometimes they will cost $30. I have spent that much on an album, but I had to REALLY like it.

I enjoy the album just as much if I sample it first. If I like it when its playing at 192kbps on my computer speakers....I will like it that much more on a stereo or in a car.

Another reason is I already have hundreds of original albums and I am running out of space to put them. That means I need to be even more selective of what I want in my collection.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
haha, i have space issues also

2L8Lit da croatianMC
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I buy only the albums i know they worth copping, plus I dont have much loot...

DJMethods
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
lol@the space issues.. I've started putting CDs on top of speakers and shit now as well, vinyl is the worst, that shit is hard to store, too many crates in my room.

Agree bout the underground shit.. I'm still looking for an album from Cronite, can't even find a download for the shit. $30 is pretty much upper average price here, its bullshit, but ever since I started buying loads of CD's this store is stocking more and more underground shit. It has your mainstream rap, but I've picked up things which I didnt even know were released here.

It's mainly underground I give a fuck about though.. I still think more people listen to underground then commercial hip-hop, but most download it. I was the same so dont get me wrong, just the more money these guys get, the bigger it gets... soon that isnt underground, its just hip-hop again.

i dont think ive met many people over the age of 17 in the past few years who like that mainstream shit, how the fuck are they making so much money? I refuse to think its 13 year old girls buying albums, maybe its just the underground is actually the internet nowdays.

but yeah, i understand the no funds shit. im the same, craving some new albums but cant afford them till next weekish.

whitey
07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
if its something you love, you do it because you want to.

if they are going to put out a bullshit product, im not giving them my money. its like buying a shitty (insert anything) , who wants to do that?

TAURO
07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I get the point about wanting to know the quality... But isn't that why they release singles? Can't you listen to it at the store?

Singles don't always give the best representation of the album as a whole. Also most stores don't let you sample the album before you buy, in the big chains it's only selected albums while in independant stores it varies, but sometimes listening to an album in a store is just not very practical either.

On the flip side, buying a wack album is a risk that consumers have to take, isnt it?

True, but that is a risk im not prepared to take. I have bought my fair share of wack albums too, and while that was cool when I was younger, now I have more financial resposibilities so being more selective with my music enables me to make the most of the money I do spend.

cap
07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
theres nothing like copping an album without knowing a lot about the artist or project.
i copped a lot of albums like that recently ( marco polo,black milk,joell ortiz...)
i usually heard like one or 2 trax of the album,and depending on that track i'll either order it or cop it when i accidentally stumble upon it at a record store.

so yeah,i think if you cop albums regularly (and you're not too broke )you should definitely cop on instinct every once in a while.

if not that at least cop albums that you heard and liked...

Dirty Knowledge
07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Look at Sean Price, "brokest rapper in hip-hop", even that dude is paid.

Look at Dilated Peoples, they nothing to the commercial fans, I bet they paid.

"Struggling" rap artists are the ones who are still at home with their parents or guardian, in the streets, rapping trying to get somewhere.

Anyone IN the game? They're still paid. Living decent. Probably I'd say the "brokest" rapper is the equivalent to working for 20-30 bucks an hour, straight up.