PDA

View Full Version : ***i Hold My Hand Up Thread***

TAURO
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Ok I hold my hand up to this, I slept big time on Keith Murray. Despite my large hip hop collection, and being a fan of hip hop since 92, up until two days ago I had yet to own any of his albums.....I know I know what the fuck was going on with that?....anyway I have finally picked up "The Most Beautifullest Thing In This World" and "Enigma" and I fucking luv them both.

So now that I have confessed, it's time for everyone else to do the same, this thread is all about owning up to the blatently obvious mc's who's albums you don't own.

Everyone must begin with the phrase "I HOLD MY HAND UP" and then state who you have been sleeping on and why, and what you plan on doing about it.

Ok, I got the ball rolling, now it's up to you guys. :dududu:

Mods
07-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I HOLD MY HAND UP TO THIS..............................MYDICKBROWN

J/K

I Hold my hand up to this, I've slept on Cormega, but I copped his special edition cd which contains, the Realness and The True Meaning. DOPE AS FUCK!

Definitive X
07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I've slept on Ultramagnetic MCs, but I swear on the grave of Ja Rule's rap career that I'm gonna cop their first LP...

oDoUoSoKo
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
haha^^ i slept on Kieth...and i still dont think hes as good as said to be....but Dr. Octagonacolegyst is maaaaaad sick...and I hold up my hand to that LP.

Meta4
07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
There's gotta be quite a bit that I've slept on. I was born in Atlanta and didn't cop ATLiens til like 1-2 years ago. I've heard it but never owned it. There's so much to buy and I got so little money.

you ready for this one... I was like 10-11 when OB4CL dropped. I copped it immediately and thought it was wack... swear on my grave. I was young and dumb but I now appreciate it 110% but some how 36 Chamber was my bible when I was 8/9......

noel411
07-23-2007, 10:54 PM
I HOLD MY HAND UP to sleeping on Lord Finesse, even now after I finally got one of his albums a little while back. I fear I may have missed my chance to really get into him, with my current rather unenthused attitude towards searching for unexplored hip hop. Many would consider this a tragedy. And now that I mention it I'll have to remember to give this album a spin very soon.

Deity Allah
07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
My name is Deity Allah and I slept on Joe Budden.

When he first dropped I didn't pay him no mind but just have recently became a fan about a year or so ago.

brown_dogg
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
ohhh fuck, this thread owns me. i think i'd get banned for the shit i've slept on.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-24-2007, 01:52 AM
i'll agree with Browndogg and say that ive slept and continue to sleep on soo much shit, and additionally that I Hold My Hand Up to pretending to know alot more about hip hop than i actually do, lol.

I Hold My Hand Up to the following.

- Ive NEVER heard/bought a RZA solo album
- Stating many time that "Midnight Marauders" is much better than "Low End Theory" even though ive never heard the latter.
- Disliking "De La Soul Is Dead" for about a month after i bought it... i now consider it a personal classic.
- Not bothering to listen to or be interesting in the majority of wu tang releases post 97, i dont own "Iron Flag" either and have never bothered to listen to it.
- Pretty much hating "Legacy of Blood" even though im a huge JMT fan, it was the first JMT album i bought, and i fucking hated Vinny Paz. The production was great from the start. I still hate paz on that album though.
- Honestly disliking kanye two solo albums, even after giving them numerous tries. its not even just his mc'ing, i cant stand the production on more than half the tracks.
- Even though id say im a huge Atmosphere fan, i only own 3 of their albums. (well i own both "Felt" albums, but that doesnt really count...)
- I Don't like RZA as an MC and i'd rate odb higher than him on most occasions
- I own alot of Beastie Boys albums, but never really thought they were amazing (although the production on "Pauls Boutique" is), out of all of them i like "The Mix Up" the most.
- Hating Jay Z's Blueprint even after many listens.

i think that enough for now, not liking rza will probably get some hate lol.

TAURO
07-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Hell no is this getting moved to the nxt page so soon, I know there are more confessions to be made so fess up.

DJMethods
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I hold my hand up... this could be long

- That I used to think ATCQ was wack. I was young, I had onnly heard "Can I kick it?" which I liked, but hated purely because 2pac was always on.I got Low End Theory which changed my mind, one of the best albums ever.

- Like sean michael, I hated De La Soul Is Dead and nearly took it back to get my $10 back. I kept it, but rarely play it through to see if I like it now.

- I also thought Temples Of Boom was wack, ironically brought that the same day as De La Soul Is Dead. I have since played that through, while getting stoned as fuck, even since quitting weed, and it has better production then most hip-hop records out. Like it better then OB4CL.

- For thinking Redman was in Wu when I was younger. Yes, hang shit on me.

- For thinking Hell's Winter was wack after downloading it. I bought it a while back, fucking LOVED it. This was after hearing his back story though, made more sense.

- For sleeping on People Under The Stairs. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE, go out and get "OST" as soon as you can, just pure hip-hop in the finest form.

- For hating J5's latest album. Actually, fuck that, I STILL hate that album..Don't like them being broken up but if it saves them from disapointing me again, I'm happy.

- For sleeping on The Roots for ages. That was a while back, but still not good enough.

Probably more as well.

TAURO
07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I hold my hand up... this could be long

- I also thought Temples Of Boom was wack I felt like this too

- For thinking Redman was in Wu when I was younger. Yes, hang shit on me.
HA HA....you have no idea how many people I know thought the same thing.

- For sleeping on People Under The Stairs. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE, go out and get "OST" as soon as you can, just pure hip-hop in the finest form.

I own OST but I find it a bit dull

- For sleeping on The Roots for ages. That was a while back, but still not good enough.

Probably more as well.

The Roots are not for everyone.

tragedykhadafi12
07-25-2007, 04:04 PM
i have always liked keith murray but I actually just picked up his first three albums not too long ago. A lot of them are out of print now. He's keith murray I didn't listen to yet but I plan to. Plus im definitely getting his new album coming next week.

TAURO
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
i have always liked keith murray but I actually just picked up his first three albums not too long ago. A lot of them are out of print now. He's keith murray I didn't listen to yet but I plan to. Plus im definitely getting his new album coming next week.

His albums are not out of print, I saw "The Most Beautifullest Thing In The World" album when I was in miami easily enough and they go for very cheap on the net. I managed to pick up both that album and Enigma for 5 ($10)

noel411
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I HOLD MY HAND UP to abandoning hip hop sometime in '98, selling almost all my cd's, and listening to nothing but punk rock, then 60's/70's music, before taking up hip hop again sometime in 2000.

oDoUoSoKo
07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
i'll agree with Browndogg and say that ive slept and continue to sleep on soo much shit, and additionally that I Hold My Hand Up to pretending to know alot more about hip hop than i actually do, lol.

I Hold My Hand Up to the following.

- Ive NEVER heard/bought a RZA solo album
- Stating many time that "Midnight Marauders" is much better than "Low End Theory" even though ive never heard the latter.
- Disliking "De La Soul Is Dead" for about a month after i bought it... i now consider it a personal classic.
- Not bothering to listen to or be interesting in the majority of wu tang releases post 97, i dont own "Iron Flag" either and have never bothered to listen to it.
- Pretty much hating "Legacy of Blood" even though im a huge JMT fan, it was the first JMT album i bought, and i fucking hated Vinny Paz. The production was great from the start. I still hate paz on that album though.
- Honestly disliking kanye two solo albums, even after giving them numerous tries. its not even just his mc'ing, i cant stand the production on more than half the tracks.
- Even though id say im a huge Atmosphere fan, i only own 3 of their albums. (well i own both "Felt" albums, but that doesnt really count...)
- I Don't like RZA as an MC and i'd rate odb higher than him on most occasions
- I own alot of Beastie Boys albums, but never really thought they were amazing (although the production on "Pauls Boutique" is), out of all of them i like "The Mix Up" the most.
- Hating Jay Z's Blueprint even after many listens.

i think that enough for now, not liking rza will probably get some hate lol.
TOLD YOU MOTHERFUCKERS...eloels

brown_dogg
07-26-2007, 01:03 AM

i hold up my hand to exactly that hahaha.

but also,

1. i sleep on the wu. i have enter the 36 chambers and tical 0 but haven't heard ANYTHING ELSE at all.
2. i hate the rza's voice.
3. never listening to a de la soul album
4. never listening to a krs one or bdp album
5. same for ATCQ
6. never heard the chronic or any NWA
7. no ice cube
8. no xzibit
9. didn't listen to reasonable doubt or any other jay-z album other than the black album
10. no blackstar
11. no jean grae
12. no biggie, no pac hahaha
13. no big l, no lord finesse and them
14. no marley marl or any of his cats
15. basically a lot of old school shit.
16. no kool keith or ultramagnetic mc's.
17. no public enemy
18. no mf doom other than madvillain
19. no epmd

20. yeaaaa a lot of old school shit.

this list could go on forever.

i did buy only built 4 cuban linx and the grind date when i went to the states recently though.

TAURO
07-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Brown Dogg.....you have never heard the Chronic or any Ice cube or tupac?...c'mon dude, even my mum has heard their music.

11th Chamber
07-26-2007, 01:23 AM
its pretty depressing reading some of this shit. Like how is it possible to be a member on a Wu forum when you have only heard 36 Chambers and Tical 0???

Never heard 2pac???

noel411
07-26-2007, 05:20 AM
its pretty depressing reading some of this shit. Like how is it possible to be a member on a Wu forum when you have only heard 36 Chambers and Tical 0???

Never heard 2pac???
Everybody has missed out on or overlooked something or someone which others would consider crucial to every hip hop fan. I can guarantee you that every single person on this forum has committed a "hip hop sin". Only most people don't wanna post in a thread like this and damage their net rep.

WuGambino
07-26-2007, 06:01 AM
I used to think GZA and Ghost were the same person lol.

Until about 3 weeks ago I had never heard Wu-Tang Forever, and I still havent heard or owned The W or Iron Flag. (I have lots of solo albums though :p)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-26-2007, 06:05 AM
I overlooked a few things back in the days (The Pick, The Sickle and The shovel for example) cuz of the beats....nowadays I can't stop listening to it....

also until I heard Liquid Swords, Biggie's Ready to die & Life after Death were my favourite albums...
and when BTS camed out, I didn't like it (couldn't understand some lyrics....) and I said that it was the biggest letdown in the history of hip-hop....now? Love it just like LS....

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-26-2007, 06:21 AM
i hold up my hand to exactly that hahaha.

but also,

1. i sleep on the wu. i have enter the 36 chambers and tical 0 but haven't heard ANYTHING ELSE at all.
2. i hate the rza's voice.
3. never listening to a de la soul album
4. never listening to a krs one or bdp album
5. same for ATCQ
6. never heard the chronic or any NWA
7. no ice cube
8. no xzibit
9. didn't listen to reasonable doubt or any other jay-z album other than the black album
10. no blackstar
11. no jean grae
12. no biggie, no pac hahaha
13. no big l, no lord finesse and them
14. no marley marl or any of his cats
15. basically a lot of old school shit.
16. no kool keith or ultramagnetic mc's.
17. no public enemy
18. no mf doom other than madvillain
19. no epmd

20. yeaaaa a lot of old school shit.

this list could go on forever.

i did buy only built 4 cuban linx and the grind date when i went to the states recently though.

Wow, no-one can buy every good album, but how did you miss all of that?!?!

I'm definately one for finding out where music came from, and after getting into hip-hop around '93 (with Wu-Tang, Lords Of The Underground and Cypress Hill), I've been buying up most of the old school stuff ever since.

Not having heard Biggie, Big L, KRS, Public Enemy, Lord Finesse, ATCQ, EPMD, Doom, Jean Grae, De La, Ultramag etc etc?!?!?! What the fuck are you doing on here typing? You should be off shopping or listening!

Oh, and by 'Marley Marl or any of his cats' do you mean Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane? If so, then you really are crazy!

Wow, I don't think I got any anything to own up to matching that!

Er.... Slick Rick's one of my favourite mcs ever, yet I still don't own Behind Bars. That's about as bad as it gets (since writing this i've just picked up a copy of Behind Bars!).

Dragondude_R
07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Damn, lol.

I guess I kinda slept on Ice Cube for a while. I had Amerikkka's Most Wanted+Kill at Will EP but wasn't feeling Cube at all. Then I got The Predator and Death Certificate. Now I love all 3 albums (4 including the EP).

brown_dogg
07-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Shittt guys i only got into hiphop in like 98, 99. even then i wasn't really into it, but i was listening to "the next episode" and things.

and i'm not one to download albums. if i hear the album's really good, i wait for a chance to buy it. never heard anything from kool g rap cuz i wanna go buy his shit, but albums are fucking expensive in canada.

i'm not about to pay $24.99 for an album. (that's how much the grind date and A LOT of other old and new cds from underground rappers go for in canada). I went to the states and picked up cd's for a lot cheaper, fuck canadian hmv's.

TAURO
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Shittt guys i only got into hiphop in like 98, 99. even then i wasn't really into it, but i was listening to "the next episode" and things.

and i'm not one to download albums. if i hear the album's really good, i wait for a chance to buy it. never heard anything from kool g rap cuz i wanna go buy his shit, but albums are fucking expensive in canada.

i'm not about to pay $24.99 for an album. (that's how much the grind date and A LOT of other old and new cds from underground rappers go for in canada). I went to the states and picked up cd's for a lot cheaper, fuck canadian hmv's.

^I'd be more than happy to send you a package of the 1-2 best songs off of a list of albums you send me if you want

also I've never fully heard the chronic either, cept for the big songs off it

I suppose I can't blame any of you for not knowing your hip hop from the early ninties because you were all babies during that time. I can understand if you haven't heard much PUBLIC ENEMY, TRIBE CALLED QUEST, DE LA SOUL AND KOOL G RAP etc... but Brown Dogg when you said you had not heard any 2PAC......it's like damn man where the fuck have you been hiding?.....I do think it's poor that you have been a member of this site since 05 and have yet to hear Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords......that's just terrible, it's like why do you even come to this site?........Im not hating on you or anyone else for that matter because I suppose at the end of the day, you are here now, and for everyone ages 20 and under, it's just good to know that you youngsters have seen the light....it's all good :b

HANZO
07-26-2007, 07:15 PM
i hold my hand up and admit i have only listened to 1 or 2 biggie tracks.
-dnt own an ice cube album.
-never listened to a bobby digital album.
-never listened to kool g rap.
dat about it.

TAURO
07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
i hold my hand up and admit i have only listened to 1 or 2 biggie tracks.
-dnt own an ice cube album.
-never listened to a bobby digital album.
-never listened to kool g rap.
dat about it.

But it's ok though because you fall into that 20 and under category.

12weLvE
07-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I HOLD MY HAND UP to Cypress Hill and their first three albums. I love these albums to death now...I cannot stop hearing them.

mofo
07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Let's see

-I remember I always slept on Jeru the damaja. But now I started listening to his shit and his first 2 albums are personal classics.
-I remember I used to think Rza was whack on the mic
-I never liked Mf Doom even to this day. I try to get into his shit but his monotone voice just makes me go to sleep.
-I admit, I slept on Kool G Raps 4,5,6
-I also slept on Black Moon/Buckshot.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
i've prob slept on loads of shit but i aint gonna sweat a brick over it

and any1 who says they bought wu-tang albums wen they where 8 are lying fags

brown_dogg
07-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I suppose I can't blame any of you for not knowing your hip hop from the early ninties because you were all babies during that time. I can understand if you haven't heard much PUBLIC ENEMY, TRIBE CALLED QUEST, DE LA SOUL AND KOOL G RAP etc... but Brown Dogg when you said you had not heard any 2PAC......it's like damn man where the fuck have you been hiding?.....I do think it's poor that you have been a member of this site since 05 and have yet to hear Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords......that's just terrible, it's like why do you even come to this site?........Im not hating on you or anyone else for that matter because I suppose at the end of the day, you are here now, and for everyone ages 20 and under, it's just good to know that you youngsters have seen the light....it's all good :b

hahah ok, 2pac never interested me. i haven't been impressed by anythin i've heard from him. actually, i lie, i have the ressurection soundtrack which is pretty hot.

also, i've heard Liquid Swords, i bump it a lot, i just forgot to mention it. and i bought cuban linx a few weeks ago in the states. that shit's like $27.99 in canada, haha fuck that. i don't care how classic the album is, i'm not about to spend 30 bucks on it.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-27-2007, 02:00 AM
haha, this thread is good.

i'll add some more

- I don't own a pac album, and he doesnt interest me
- Ready to Die i thought was good when i got it, now its about 7.5/10.
- i didnt like the chronic that much after a few spins, now only a few tracks interest me.
- i continue to sleep on kool keith, even though i own 2 of his albums, ive seen Nogato Rd. at the store, 1 copy, for about a month. but i cant bring myself to buy it for some reason.
- for a long time, i couldnt differentiate between pos and trugoy.
- i own 2 cube album (amerikkkas most wanted and predator) and i liked them when i bought them, i just never listened to them after that.
- i dont like doggystyle
- i dont like criminal minded
- i dont like "Here to Save You All" and i think chino is extremely over rated and irritating

thats all for now.

TAURO
07-27-2007, 02:05 AM
I hold my hand up to not owning a single PUBLIC ENEMY album in my collection. I have a few tracks here and there on compilation tapes (yes tapes) that date way back, I always wanted to get their shit but there was always other albums I wanted more so I just ended up putting it off, over ten years later and I still haven't got round to it.

Memory Man
07-27-2007, 03:37 AM
i continue to sleep on kool keith, even though i own 2 of his albums, ive seen Nogato Rd. at the store, 1 copy, for about a month. but i cant bring myself to buy it for some reason.

get this one instead:

http://static.flickr.com/86/256054999_06664bb193.jpg

noel411
07-27-2007, 05:34 AM
I envy some of you motherfuckers because there is so much all time shit that has as yet not blessed your ears. All you people who have not heard all the old shit by PE, De La Soul, Eric B & Rakim, Gangstarr, BDK, Kool G Rap, and A Tribe Called Quest, I highly recommend you get your hands on all that timeless shit, even if you just dl it all. Because that's where the heart of hip hop lies. I tell you, I've been bumping all this shit again lately, and it puts a smile on my face every time. The last 10 years of hip hop just doesn't come close to comparing to that old school flavour.

Memory Man
07-27-2007, 05:44 AM
while you're at it, peep this:

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32833

g_flex
07-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Ok I hold my hand up to this, I slept big time on Keith Murray. Despite my large hip hop collection, and being a fan of hip hop since 92, up until two days ago I had yet to own any of his albums.....I know I know what the fuck was going on with that?.... :dududu:

DAMN money i neva gave the dude a listenin chance at all...i guess its time i pick up on his classics n give props....i gotta admit my least fav emcee whos good is Common...i just dun like his songs not even his verse on respiration..

TAURO
07-27-2007, 09:27 AM
while you're at it, peep this:

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32833

I liked that thread, you get mad props for upping all that classic shit.

DJMethods
07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
I listened to De La Soul Is Dead today... I actually really liked it. Don't know why I've hated it all these years.

Also hold my hand up I've never heard Stakes Is High.. Picking that up next time I see it though

Longbongcilvaringz
07-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Stakes is High, in my opinion has one of the best starting 5 or 6 tracks of any album ive heard (although i really like that style of hip hop)

i only picked it up fairly recently, but its a great album. i saw it bagged on some other site because prince paul was absent, but production wise its dope.

De La have an amazing catalogue, i need to check out the bionix shit next, ive heard mixed reviews of it though.

Come Honor Face
07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Kanye looks so gay in that pic above. lol

Longbongcilvaringz
07-28-2007, 02:54 PM
come on, give him his props.

*i hold my hand up to liking kanyes recent work alot more than his early shit.

Come Honor Face
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I didnt say anything about his music. I said he looks gay in that pic. He does.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
yeah, he probably shouldnt show his true form to mortals.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Stakes is High, in my opinion has one of the best starting 5 or 6 tracks of any album ive heard (although i really like that style of hip hop)

i only picked it up fairly recently, but its a great album. i saw it bagged on some other site because prince paul was absent, but production wise its dope.

De La have an amazing catalogue, i need to check out the bionix shit next, ive heard mixed reviews of it though.

I love De La, but I thought the AOI: Bionix album was dreadful.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
and the other one, "mosiac thump" or whatever?

Longbongcilvaringz
07-29-2007, 06:28 AM
ok cool, i'll continue to sleep on it then.

Memory Man
07-29-2007, 09:48 PM
nogatco is pretty half-assed (think venomous villain, same producer) but keith had a pretty great record last year that almost everyone slept on:http://www.anthemrecordsinc.com/products/ppolocover.jpg
the beats on this album are dope.

Marc051
07-30-2007, 04:37 AM
I was close-minded between '98 to '04 when I only listened to Wu-Tang and boughter every affiliates cd. I realized I missed out on a bunch of dope albums and that actually there are tons of mc's that are better than Wu. I admit Wu as a whole are a force to reckon with but I think individually they are not that great when you put them up against other mc's.

WuGambino
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I think Biggie is wick wick wack.

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-30-2007, 12:46 PM
and the other one, "mosiac thump" or whatever?

Quite good. Definately not a classic, and nowhere near the consistency of earlier De La albums, but light years ahead of Bionix.

I'd imagine you've probably heard 'All Good ft. Chaka Khan' and 'Oooh! ft. Redman'.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-30-2007, 03:48 PM
I think Biggie is wick wick wack.

why?

Durag
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I never liked Life After Death. Too much commercial shit. Played it a few times then never played it again

For some reason i dont like La The Darkmans heist of the century. I know most people here hail it as a Wu classic, but it didnt interest me. There is a few dope tracks, Az the World Turns, the track with Masta Killa etc, but on the whole i dont like La as a rapper. Everyone complains about 50 and the rest rappin bout money, bitches, cars, drugs blah blah, but when La makes an album full of it, it seems to be fine! Da fuck is dat about! His subject matter just doesnt interest me.

I dont really listen to fuck all west coast rap

I had Paid in Full for years and never thought much of it, until i put it on one day out of nowhere and it all just clicked, and i realized how fuckin dope it is.

Same thing with De La Soul id Dead

Apart form AKA the Rugged Child, and maybe the Lost Generation, i dont rate Shyheim as much of a rapper at all. His lyrics and flow on The Gratest Story Never Told were very poor.

The majority of Pac's material doesnt interest me

The Game nearly annoys me as much as 50 cent

I never liked Ice Cubes Amerikkkas most wanted. In fact, i think its shit

LuckyTheWonderDog
07-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I never liked Life After Death. Too much commercial shit. Played it a few times then never played it again.

Apart form AKA the Rugged Child, and maybe the Lost Generation, i dont rate Shyheim as much of a rapper at all. His lyrics and flow on The Gratest Story Never Told were very poor.

The majority of Pac's material doesnt interest me

The Game nearly annoys me as much as 50 cent

I pretty much agree with these.

Life After Death can be edited into a much better album with the removal of all the crap. Sad thing is that Biggie is always class. Take his acapella and put it over a nice beat and it's always quality.

I've also never been a great fan of Shyheim. He was great for a kid, but never developed into a great adult.

I respect 2Pac but don't feel his style of music at all.

I don't hate the Game, but if he never released another track I wouldn't care.