PDA

View Full Version : Controller vs Keyboard

NIGHT MAYOR
07-25-2007, 03:23 AM
which do you prefer ?

im all about controllers, if i ever bought a game on pc that i was going to play alot of i would need a controller.

Bloo
07-25-2007, 05:27 AM
K&M Hands down...

Controllers are nice, and depending on the game it actually feels better. But definately K&M when it comes to any shooter. Ain't a kid alive that can smoke fools with a controller like the kid with the K&M combo.

Sexy Jasper
07-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Keyboard/mouse for almost any game. Especialy first person shooters.

For racing/sport/fighting games I'd prefer a controller.

Suga Duga
07-25-2007, 06:00 AM
keyboard + my Logitech Laser G5 will smoke ya

Bloo
07-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Dem G5's is the shit ain't they :yes:

NIGHT MAYOR
07-25-2007, 06:21 AM
K&M Hands down...

Controllers are nice, and depending on the game it actually feels better. But definately K&M when it comes to any shooter. Ain't a kid alive that can smoke fools with a controller like the kid with the K&M combo.

what do you think the main diffrences are ? remember most shooters on consoles have adjustable sensitivity so turning is'nt as slow as some people suggest.

Cuts
07-25-2007, 06:21 AM
For shooters a K&M is best cause of the faster reaction time

For RPG and stuff mostly a K&M works better 2

but for the rest a controller, and what the difference when you play shooters against other people on console? than the reaction time is the same

NIGHT MAYOR
07-25-2007, 06:34 AM
a console controller is made for gaming ? where a keyboard has many tasks and not set out for one individual thing. i just feel button placement is crucial to me and having my hand haunched over a keyboard seems to piss me off, where a controller you hang onto

what do you mean reaction time cuts ? like from mouse to screen ? i dont get it.

Suga Duga
07-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Dem G5's is the shit ain't they :yes:

:mmmyah:

Bloo
07-25-2007, 06:59 AM
what do you think the main diffrences are ? remember most shooters on consoles have adjustable sensitivity so turning is'nt as slow as some people suggest.

Such is true, but even with a controller with 100% responsive analog sticks they still can't match the accuracy of a mouse, playing FPS games on both platforms I can vouch for that, you can control your aim a lot easier without overcorrecting.

a console controller is made for gaming ? where a keyboard has many tasks and not set out for one individual thing. i just feel button placement is crucial to me and having my hand haunched over a keyboard seems to piss me off, where a controller you hang onto

what do you mean reaction time cuts ? like from mouse to screen ? i dont get it.

The keyboard also is efficient cause you have more buttons at your disposal. You sacriface not being able to tip-toe or walk without having to hold another key but in the thick of battle you're gonna be running anyway so that's irrelevant. Plus, a keyboard's digial input will always be more accurate than an analog stick when it comes to moving, even if you have it set to it's highest sensitivity there will still be a delay.

Cuts
07-25-2007, 07:02 AM

didnt know how to put it :), but a mouse reacts better in shooters than a controller, you can turn faster etc. you get it? dunno how to explain it haha

but who gives a damn, pc vs pc, console vs console, than it just the same

Big Risk
07-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Key board and mouse For all FPS games, people who think a controller is better than a mouse in fps is CRAZY.

Cuts
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
think it pretty useless to compare

if anyone uses a controller to play fps on pc, well he just has to stop gaming

if playing console you play against others that use a controller so than it just the same shit

Wu-Tality
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Depends on the game... You can't sit with a keyboard/mouse on your couch... but you can't play a real time strategy game with a controller or a fast FPS like Quake.

pro.Graveface
07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
for shooters key board for advandture controllers

shaolinsword
07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Keyboard and Mouse combo make FPS games easier but I've never really been interested in a gaming pc so I prefer controllers

Cuts
07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Depends on the game... You can't sit with a keyboard/mouse on your couch... but you can't play a real time strategy game with a controller or a fast FPS like Quake.

i said a few post before RPG and stuff(also stategy ofcourse) arent really good to play with a controller, but a shooter like quake is good to play with a controller, you play against other with controllers so their is no difference between them

ofcourse it faster with a M&K but it plays very well with a controller, what you prefer yourself doesnt take away the fact shooters are very playable with a controller, and ofcourse M&K vs controller with a shooter isnt fair, but you cant really compare them imo

DJMethods
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
RPG's have always been good and I play with a mouse. Got a few roms on the computer but I preer with a controller so I can kick back.

Never been into PC gaming though

11th Chamber
07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I dont play computer games, so obviously controller

NIGHT MAYOR
07-26-2007, 02:27 AM
with shooters you have a few buttons which are very important if you have one hand on the travel buttons ^V<> and one on the mouse where do you put the rest ?

i need some examples of button layouts,

trigger
jump
reload
grenades
swap weapon
crouch
melee

im interested not try'na argue one is better than the other just figuring out why you guys prefer a "k&m"

NIGHT MAYOR
07-26-2007, 02:29 AM
I dont play computer games, so obviously controller

im the same, i have another machine for games this is just for internet usage.

Cuts
07-26-2007, 04:10 AM
with shooters you have a few buttons which are very important if you have one hand on the travel buttons ^V<> and one on the mouse where do you put the rest ?

i need some examples of button layouts,

trigger
jump
reload
grenades
swap weapon
crouch
melee

im interested not try'na argue one is better than the other just figuring out why you guys prefer a "k&m"

if you play ^V<> your an idiot, you should play w's'a'd and you got enough other keys to use

trigger - mouse button
jump - space
reload - r
grenades - depens on the game really some you need to select them , or g,q
swap weapon - mouse wheel, or just use 1,2,3,4,5 etc. cause your hand is underneath them
crouch - ctrl,shift it depens if there is also a walking option i prefer ctrl if there is a walking option wich i use shift for
melee - depens on the game really some you need to select it, or e

but really depends on game how i config my settings but mostly it like that

but i rarely play pc games now, recently installed Chief3 just cause i loved the first 2 and never played the 3rd one, i played alot of counter-strike some years ago but after the version 1.0,1.1 it just sucks

Sexy Jasper
07-26-2007, 04:47 AM
I play left handed, so my left hand is on the mouse, my right hand on the arrows.

My usual set up is:

first fire: mouse button 1
secondary fire: mouse button 2
next/previous weapon: scroll wheel
last used weapon: scroll wheel button

jump: right control
crouch: 0 ins button
reload: delete
use: enter

This works perfect. You can't beat that with a controller.

I hate playing FPS on consoles.

Cuts
07-26-2007, 06:52 AM

that the point and what makes this topic so useless, you cant compare them, cause in fps a mouse will always be easier/faster than analog sticks

i love playing fps on console and pc, as long as you dont combine the 2 it both plays very well

NIGHT MAYOR
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
both of your setout involve moving your hand even the slightest bit which sucks - i dunno just me

that the point and what makes this topic so useless, you cant compare them,

well you can, the common ground between the comparision is video games, you like what you like but doesnt mean its IMPOSSIBLE to compare them. if i did use K&M i'd be using jaspers setout but with right hand.

CHRONZ
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
i play most games on consoles, so ive adjusted to controllers

Frontal Lobotomy
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Keyboard and mouse on PC. Joypad for the consoles. No compromise unless i'm playing emulators, in which case I'll use joypad (SNES,Genesis etc) or arcade stick (MAME/Neo Geo)

Bloo
07-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I play left handed, so my left hand is on the mouse, my right hand on the arrows.

My usual set up is:

first fire: mouse button 1
secondary fire: mouse button 2
next/previous weapon: scroll wheel
last used weapon: scroll wheel button

jump: right control
crouch: 0 ins button
reload: delete
use: enter

I hate playing FPS on consoles.

I got a setup that'll knock yours out the dirt. This is with my G5 mouse.

Move: E,S,D,F
Primary Fire: Mouse 1
Secondary Fire: Mouse 2
Jump: Space
Crouch: Mouse 4
Use: Mouse 3
Lean Left: Tilt mouse wheel Left
Lean Right: R
Reload: Tilt mouse wheel Right
Flashlight: W
Next Weapon: Wheel Down
Prev Weapon: Wheel Up
Last Weap Used: A
Grenade: G
Inventory: Q

Works pretty well in general, not really that much to remember :)

Cuts
07-27-2007, 04:13 AM
both of your setout involve moving your hand even the slightest bit which sucks - i dunno just me

well you can, the common ground between the comparision is video games, you like what you like but doesnt mean its IMPOSSIBLE to compare them. if i did use K&M i'd be using jaspers setout but with right hand.

think it isnt a good thing, main reason is you play K&M on pc and controller on console mostly, so you never play K&M vs controller, cause that aint fair. that my point ;)

Sexy Jasper
07-27-2007, 05:50 AM
I got a setup that'll knock yours out the dirt. This is with my G5 mouse.

Move: E,S,D,F
Primary Fire: Mouse 1
Secondary Fire: Mouse 2
Jump: Space
Crouch: Mouse 4
Use: Mouse 3
Lean Left: Tilt mouse wheel Left
Lean Right: R
Reload: Tilt mouse wheel Right
Flashlight: W
Next Weapon: Wheel Down
Prev Weapon: Wheel Up
Last Weap Used: A
Grenade: G
Inventory: Q

Works pretty well in general, not really that much to remember :)
I got a some cordless logitech mouse. Doesn't work as good as my corded mouse I used to play with, but my pc is too far away for that.

Good setup I suppose.

Bloo
07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
I heard that, it's pretty mandatory now. I can't function on a mouse with less than 8 functions on it. Who ever invented the tilt wheel is da man!

Sexy Jasper
07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
What does the tilt wheel do?

Sexy Jasper
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
What the fuck. I just found out I can push my mousewheel left and right. I'm going to make a new control setup now.

Suga Duga
07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
What the fuck. I just found out I can push my mousewheel left and right. I'm going to make a new control setup now.

zzzzz

NIGHT MAYOR
07-29-2007, 04:55 PM
think it isnt a good thing, main reason is you play K&M on pc and controller on console mostly, so you never play K&M vs controller, cause that aint fair. that my point ;)

im asking which one you prefer :{

NIGHT MAYOR
07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
hahah