PDA

View Full Version : 5 Keys to defining a classic...

HarlemDiplomat
07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
I define a classic by my personal liking as each of us do, however if I don't like it personally, I look at 5 things.

1. Impact:

How does this album stand in the memory of a hip-hop fan. Is this album popular umong fans of the artist and/or did it recieve good reviews from the media? Also sales can be included but not always meaningful.

2. Relevance:

Did this album fit for the time or was it just reusing old methods? Was this album sort of "theme music" for the time? Or, was this album popular outside of core hip-hop fans?

3. Evolution of the artist:

Is this a strong debut, an artist reaching his prime, or an artist changing his style for the better.

4. Revolutionary:

How did the album shape the current or past state of hip-hop.

5. Longevity:

How long after the release is the album still cited, talked about, brought up, or sold?

TAURO
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
I honestly don't care what people view as classic in the general sense. What I like is what matters to me. I don't mind discussing it here and finding out other peoples views on particular albums, but when it comes right down to it im just not bothered about what the general concensus is on the relevance of a particular album.

Take Liquid Swords for example, supposed most people here hated it and thought it was weak, I would still view it as a classic because for me it has meaning and relevance. If everyone agrees with me that it's a dope album thats all good with me, but when I say an album is classic, what im really saying is that it's a personal classic to me. I could give a fuck what some "hip hop expert" rates it.

HarlemDiplomat
07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I honestly don't care what people view as classic in the general sense. What I like is what matters to me. I don't mind discussing it here and finding out other peoples views on particular albums, but when it comes right down to it im just not bothered about what the general concensus is on the relevance of a particular album.

Take Liquid Swords for example, supposed most people here hated it and thought it was weak, I would still view it as a classic because for me it has meaning and relevance. If everyone agrees with me that it's a dope album thats all good with me, but when I say an album is classic, what im really saying is that it's a personal classic to me. I could give a fuck what some "hip hop expert" rates it.

Thats my point. I said if I liked it personally I can call it a classic. However there are albums I don't really like that I deem classic based on these 5 keys.

TAURO
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Thats my point. I said if I liked it personally I can call it a classic. However there are albums I don't really like that I deem classic based on these 5 keys.

But thats my point, If I don't like an album, I don't view it as a classic, regardless of what anyone says. A general consensus means nothing to me.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't like The Chronic, but I still call it a classic....just cuz it has that feeling....still, the album does nuthin for me...

11th Chamber
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't like The Chronic, but I still call it a classic....just cuz it has that feeling....still, the album does nuthin for me...

I feel that way about many albums that people look at as "classic". I dont go crazy over Illmatic like everyone else does, and I rarely even listen to it, but I still realize it is a classic album.

I also agree with what Tauro says about if you consider an album a classic, thats all that matters. I consider Juvenile's "400 Degreez" a classic, yet im sure 99% of the people on the forum will disagree with that(mainly since its a southern album). Thats fine with me cause I love it and thats all that really matters

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM

that is my same view and point about people calling this classic or that classic

Suga Duga
07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I feel that way about many albums that people look at as "classic". I dont go crazy over Illmatic like everyone else does, and I rarely even listen to it, but I still realize it is a classic album.

I also agree with what Tauro says about if you consider an album a classic, thats all that matters. I consider Juvenile's "400 Degreez" a classic, yet im sure 99% of the people on the forum will disagree with that(mainly since its a southern album). Thats fine with me cause I love it and thats all that really matters

same here, listen what ya like...

Prolifical ENG
07-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Yeah pretty much.

Disputing what's is a true classic is a waste.

I think you forgot one key: classics are always personal since they are judged by its replay value. Impact and longevity only graze the replay value but I think its the most important element.

Medical Examina
07-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey genius, how about the fucking MUSIC

Longbongcilvaringz
08-01-2007, 12:20 AM
i think you have a flawed criteria in that you didnt note that a classic actually has to be of high quality in my opinion.

there are alot of shit albums that are considered classic on impact alone, which to me isnt right.

11th Chamber
08-01-2007, 12:53 AM
there are alot of shit albums that are considered classic on impact alone, which to me isnt right.

example?

The Hound
08-01-2007, 02:16 AM
example?

2pac - all eyez on me
jay-z - blueprint

and you said 400 degreez. to me, one of the most underrated albums ever. i bet 99% of motherfuckers here wouldn't give it a chance but that shit is straight fire!

i dont see how people can see an album not being good but rate it a classic? thats dick riding at it's finest. i'll never consider all eyez on me a classic but 9/10 people say it's pac's definitive cd when it doesnt come close. i will never recognise blueprint as classic either that shit was terrible!

TSA
08-01-2007, 03:23 PM

lol, by the 5 keys it's a classic too, and it's considered a classic by most hip hop critics.

fire beats, some of the best voices in rap history, Back That Ass up was the theme of that year and all fat ass shaking to come like it or not, it established cashmoney as the top rap group in 1999, great sales, nice lyrics except Baby on that one song where he's all "I can Dooooo Thhaat"..worst verse ever.

and they were all on fire(again except baby cause he's naturally a faggot).

and it was the album that marked the rise of the south.

HarlemDiplomat
08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
2pac - all eyez on me

All Eyez On Me was hot!!!

Tradin War Stories, Only God Can Judge Me, Holla At Me, Wonder Why They Call U Bitch, Thug Passion, Ambitionz As A Ridah, I Ain't Mad at Cha, Life Goes On, Shorty Wann Be A Thug, Got My Mind Made Up, Picture Me Rollin, 2 of America's Most Wanted, California Love...

COME ON!!!!!!!!

Longbongcilvaringz
08-02-2007, 04:13 AM
2pac - all eyez on me
jay-z - blueprint

and you said 400 degreez. to me, one of the most underrated albums ever. i bet 99% of motherfuckers here wouldn't give it a chance but that shit is straight fire!

i dont see how people can see an album not being good but rate it a classic? thats dick riding at it's finest. i'll never consider all eyez on me a classic but 9/10 people say it's pac's definitive cd when it doesnt come close. i will never recognise blueprint as classic either that shit was terrible!

yeah "Blueprint" would have been my most obvious pick, people who say thats a hip hop classic are idiotic. maybe a personal classic for some people (if you like that gay shit), but it has little impact or longevity.

i also had in mind alot of old school shit, i enjoy a decent amount of stuff from the 80's, but certain albums get alot more praise than they deserve.

i'll get flamed, but Run DMC comes to mind. not every album they made has to be a classic.

The Hound
08-02-2007, 04:16 AM
All Eyez On Me was hot!!!

Tradin War Stories, Only God Can Judge Me, Holla At Me, Wonder Why They Call U Bitch, Thug Passion, Ambitionz As A Ridah, I Ain't Mad at Cha, Life Goes On, Shorty Wann Be A Thug, Got My Mind Made Up, Picture Me Rollin, 2 of America's Most Wanted, California Love...

COME ON!!!!!!!!

the good:
2 of amerikaz most wanted
ambitionz az a ridah
shorty wanna be a thug
wonda why they call u bitch
picture me rollin
got my mind made up
skandalouz
heartz of me
all eyez on me

the rest were garbage. i agree with rapreviews.com if all eyez on me was just disc 1 with a few from disc 2 substituting for watz ya fone # AND THE ORIGINAL FUCKING CALIFORNIA LOVE it would be classic but because of the garbage filler it posses it aint no classic.

california love, cmon, the beat on that remix is fucking terrible