PDA

View Full Version : new hip-hop article in TIME magazine...talks about downfall of rap

tical2000
08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Here is a well written article about the downfall of rap music over the last couple years, artistically and commerically, its well written and worth reading

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1653639-1,00.html

Longbongcilvaringz
08-20-2007, 03:26 PM
"In rock you have metal, alternative, emo, soft rock, pop-rock, you have all these different strains," says Q-Tip, front man for the defunct A Tribe Called Quest. "And there are different strains of hip-hop, but record companies aren't set up to sell these different strains. They aren't set up to do anything more of a mature sort of hip-hop."

agreed.

and fuck cleaning up any type of music, explicit words are part of the english language, i really dont get the offense people take at the use of swear words. its completely juvenile. yeah, maybe racist or derogatory terms, but there isnt anything wrong with explicit lyrics.

the main problem is that everything is polarized, rap is all about bitches and gansters and everyone that doesnt like that is a backpacker. and then backpackers call anyone who does like it a dickrider. and then you have fucks like o'reilly talking about things which they have no knowledge....

personally, i dont care that much in the end, i'll continue to listen to what i like, regardless of all the shit that is coming out. and personally, i thought 2000-2004 or so was dope period in hip hop, discounting certain things.

TAURO
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
But the current hubbub over indecency poses a direct challenge to that brand strength, as the artist Akon recently discovered. While performing in Trinidad, Akon was videotaped dancing suggestively with a fan who was later revealed to be only 14. The video attracted the ire of conservatives like Bill O'Reilly. In the wake of the controversy, Akon's tour sponsor, Verizon, removed all ringtones featuring his work and retracted its sponsorship. The message was clear: Hip-hop needs a new and improved product.

This is what pisses me off about the mainstream press......Since when was Akon Hip Hop?!.......It seems when ever a black musician makes an ass out of himself no matter what genre of music he makes, hip hop is always to blame.

RAMESH
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
hip hop is meant to be raw, it's killer music

Z3RO
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
All This Gangsta And Fad Dancing Shit, Not To Mention Ringtones
Are To Blame.

Also I Hate When People Say Pac And Big Are ''celebrated Icons''.
To Who????????????????

SG
08-20-2007, 07:51 PM
"The music community has to get more creative," says Steve Rifkin, CEO of SRC Records. "We have to start betting on the new and the up-and-coming for us to grow as an industry. Right now, I don't think anyone is taking chances. It's a big-business culture."

If new artist we thinking like Steve and had the fundamentals of hiphop and elevating their being. You knew the difference between Whodini and Stestasonic, You knew the difference between Heavy D and Chubb Rock

Example: Das EFX and WU TANG
1. Both of these group are from the EAST Coast
2. Both from New York
3. Both do not sound a like
4. But their sound was from the East( you just knew it, you felt it..HIPHOP)
5. Their state of being was elevated... each group very very distinctive

Now look at the West:
1. Hyfe movement ( E-40, etc )
2. Gangsta/G Funk(dre signature sound, etc )
3. Both from West Coast
4. Both from California
5. Both do not sound a like
6. You just knew it, you felt, it was from the WEST...HIPHOP
7. The state of being was elevated ...each group very very distinctive

But the SOUTH.........a little harder

In this thread I was only using North America as an example. Since the 6 other continents are much larger as whole than North America

SG
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Today that's largely absent, and we see the results in the music and in the aesthetic." That result is a stale product,

I'm just using MIMS as an example. I heard his album and was just like DAMN...garbage......this was after I seen an interview of him talking he was going to bring NEW YORK back.....but one thing stuck out....he said it was a compilation(basically a little bit for every body) thats a bad sign.

whitey
08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
and fuck cleaning up any type of music, explicit words are part of the english language, i really dont get the offense people take at the use of swear words. its completely juvenile. yeah, maybe racist or derogatory terms, but there isnt anything wrong with explicit lyrics.

yet probably a lot of people in here were calling for don imus' head. and supporting him getting fired. not saying what he said was right, but its the same thing.

off topic, but still this is how the topic this thread is on got in the public eye...