PDA

View Full Version : MF DOOM lip syncing/imposter scandal.

brown_dogg
08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
this shit has been popping up all over the place, so i thought i'd post it here.

basically doom's been missing out at his shows. he didn't show up at Rock the Bells SF! at other shows he sends some imposter doom (usually A LOT skinnier than him) to perform some shit 20min lip syncing set.

someone wrote this up:

====================
I'm not sure if MF Doom is your cup of tea or not. But I thought you might be interested to learn that he's been sending impostors in his place to "perform" (read: lip sync) at some recent shows.

Last week, I was in San Francisco visiting friends, and thought it could be fun to catch the MF Doom show on 8/15 at the Independent. We were ushered in, and given stated instructions from the door man that pictures - even camera phones - were strictly prohibited, and anyone caught taking pictures would be ejected. I know that's policy at a lot of venues, but I've never been verbally warned before. After clenching my teeth through a gawd-awful set from spastic, Slug-derivative Pigeon John, the crowd was treated to about 2 hours of some wack-ass DJ. At some point, an announcement was made, reiterating that absolutely no pictures were allowed at this show, and that violators would be ejected.

Eventually, a bunch of hype men came on stage, while one of the songs off DangerMouse played. Out comes "Doom" looking about 100 pounds lighter than he has ever looked in a picture or video. I've never seen him live, however, so I thought that maybe he had just lost a lot of weight. His mic was turned way down low, and you couldn't hear his voice, and there was no crowd interaction between songs. Just this skinny "Doom", holding the mic real close to his face, and a bunch of hype men on the sides. 20 minutes later, it was all over. Huh?

I was pissed that I had just witnessed the worst show I've seen in my 29 years on this planet. However, it still hadn't dawned on me that I had just been played, until I heard some kid outside the club wondering if that was really even Daniel Dumile.

A quick look around the intertubes (see below) finds others who claim that this wasn't the real Doom. Furthermore, it sounds like he had pulled the same stunt a few nights prior at the El Rey in LA. He was a no-show for his Thursday night show in San Francisco, and also missed his Rock the Bells performance in SF.

Clearly, I'm none too happy, although I can see how d-bags like yourself might find it funny. I've yet to contact the Independent to see what their story is. But this was certainly something I think is newsworthy. I don't want others to drop $40 to go see some skinny-ass impostor lip sync Doom songs for 20 minutes like I did.

Here are some links to others (more or less) backing my story:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2007/0...f_went_down.php (http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2007/08/mf_doom_fucks_sf_wtf_went_down.php)
http://www.calendarlive.com/music/571196,0,6883666.event
http://dojothemouse.livejournal.com/216669.html
http://forums.undergroundhiphop.com/readpo...stionID=1868749 (http://forums.undergroundhiphop.com/readpost.asp?Forum=Common&Whichpage=1&QuestionID=1868749)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tix/400995903.html
http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/08/...&frame=true (http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/08/19/mf-doom-having-an-inposter-lip-sync-in-san-francisco/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soulstrut.com%2Fubbthreads%2 Fshowflat.php%3FCat%3D0%26Number%3D932807%26an%3D0 %26page%3D0%23Post932807&frame=true)

========================

i dunno whether or not to support this guy anymore. he's dicking his fans pretty hard.

supposed to be the villain, but not like this hahaha.

Bosn
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm a huge Doom fan, but all I can say is that he'd better have a damn good excuse for this shit.

The thing about Doom is that it's never really been about his live performances. I just copped the MM..Food? re-issue with the bonus live footage dvd, and tbh, he sucks live. It would be cool if he sat in his throne of madvillainy or something like that and actually performed something more suited to his persona, but his music is so much more attached to his persona than his image is, which is why is live performances are weak. You listen to his music and you get crazy visions, but when you're there live its just a disappointment.

So all in all I'm not so surprised or unhappy, but it still requires a damn good excuse for those who would love to see him live.

I for one am still very much looking forward to his new material despite this blemish :)

Bis Fan
08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
:lmao:

Madvillainy 2 needs to drop soon

whitey
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I can believe this. Just from stuff I read he seems like he can be a little shiesty to be honest. I still like his music though. And idk if you guys have ever heard MF Doom live from planet X but that shit is pretty good. Either way its hella wack if what that guys said is true.

TAURO
08-22-2007, 04:49 PM
This is all just speculation.....show me proof.

NoSleep
08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
ggggggggggggggggggg

LiquidWordz
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm a huge fan of Doom's music, but the more I hear about what he's like as an actual person, the more I start to not like him. From shit I hear like this, dude sounds like an asshole.

brown_dogg
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
This is all just speculation.....show me proof.

lol no one's speculating. these are all doom fans who went to his recent shows all over the place, only to see some skinny black fool in a mask present himself on stage to do a 20min set with the mic glued to his mask, and then bounce, robbing the audience of what they wanted.

he didn't show up at rock the bells. it's even on the doom forums too. his own fans are bitchin.

DJMethods
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Mf Doom = Ghostface Killah

LiquidWordz
08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
lol no one's speculating. these are all doom fans who went to his recent shows all over the place, only to see some skinny black fool in a mask present himself on stage to do a 20min set with the mic glued to his mask, and then bounce, robbing the audience of what they wanted.

he didn't show up at rock the bells. it's even on the doom forums too. his own fans are bitchin.

People there are saying Dooms on the run, sounds like he messed up. Some kid says he almost got killed for wearing a Doom mask at rock the bells.

maestro wooz
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

yall thought he was kidding when he said he was the villain

Nick Fury
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

yall thought he was kidding when he said he was the villain

lol

i like DOOMs music but from what i hear hes a shady dude

brown_dogg
08-23-2007, 12:00 AM
he's probably just a raging alcoholic and it's gotten worse (no performances and no new releases)

apparently he's getting shit done though.

peanut butter wolf (stones throw head guy) wrote this in the forum TODAY:

So I was coming home from the Beastie Boys show with Madlib last night and guess who calls Madlib? The man himself. He told Madlib that he's been recording at the Bomb Shelter for the past few days and has 6 new songs done. They're supposed to meet up today.

Since Madvillain #1, which was mainly written and recorded at the Bomb Shelter, Doom has recorded at some pretty top notch studios. He's told me recently though that he likes the feel of the Bomb Shelter better, even though it isn't a "real" studio. Looks like he's taking it back to the basement.

If it aint broke...

looks like he's recording shit for Madvillainy2, but he can't show up to do his shows.

J-DON
08-23-2007, 12:13 AM
id believe it, he once was sending imposters to photoshoots too.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm a huge fan of Doom's music, but the more I hear about what he's like as an actual person, the more I start to not like him. From shit I hear like this, dude sounds like an asshole.

Agreed. I love Doom's music, but he does increasingly come across as an egotistical dick. I imagine he was probably in the wrong with the fall out with Grimm and M.I.C.

Now if what the original post says is true, then he's gone too far. Surely it's completely illegal to send a fake to lip sync in your place? Anyone at those gigs is entitled to a full refund and Doom should get in some serious shit for it. He can't come to the UK anyway, so I don't have to worry about imposters!

"Zev Love X, he used to be so merry
But now the mask controls you like Jim Carrey"

Sean
08-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Why isn't he allowed over here?

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Why isn't he allowed over here?

Some kind of criminal record type shit I think. Unless it's cos he was born here and they might try and stop him going back in. Dunno.

Ink Is My Drink
08-23-2007, 08:07 AM
hahahahaha its pretty funny but fuk that i understand why if you went there you wouldnt see the funny side! as id be fuking heated

doom def deos some dickhead shit by the sounds of it

GhettoGnom
08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I laugh at it.

And yeah, doom's a snake, grimm wasn't lying.

Longbongcilvaringz
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
he has a sharp sense of humour.

NY_Mami
08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
LOL if that's true......

CITY ZEEKER
08-23-2007, 03:14 PM
yo thats some crazy shit, when i went to the san bernadino show, IT WAS DOOM, i could see his gut a mile away, me and the homie were going to catch the EL REY show the next day, but didnt, i heard that it was a good show, DOOM was good etc, no say on the imposter DOOM, if this is true, thats some wack ass shit, i had the same thought on KWELI last year at the san bernadino show ROCK THE BELLS

brown_dogg
08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
it's so easy for doom to send up an imposter though. just give some next guy the mask, tell him to keep the mic glued to the mouth, and just know when the songs have pauses and shit.

wuswordz95
08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
his stonethows perfrormance is tight

THE W
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
that's super

Dirty Knowledge
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Lol, Doom's a gangsta.. During all of his shows, he's sitting somewhere passed out like during the Cartoon Network Christmas special.

LORD ZERO
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
^^^lol!

CEITEDMOFO
08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I JUST PEEPED THE VID
qtrw2iHCCmg
DUDE IS DEF DOOM BUT PROLLY HE HAD COCKAGITIS SO HE COULDNT RHYME

Z3RO
08-30-2007, 12:18 PM
It'll Be A Long Ass Time Before He Does An Interview Now.
That's Gonna Be The First Damn Question
''so Doom, Why Are Sending Half-ass Clones To Shows.............................''

Kick_Back
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
This shit with the imposter is 100% true. It is not the first time he has pulled this shit either. SUPER VILLIAN!

maestro wooz
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I JUST PEEPED THE VID
qtrw2iHCCmg
DUDE IS DEF DOOM BUT PROLLY HE HAD COCKAGITIS SO HE COULDNT RHYME

dumb ass, thats the ny rock the bells show. Youd have seen it if you hadnt pussied out.

benzo
08-30-2007, 05:14 PM
i'm leaning towards him being a drunk and not giving a fuck. not to disrespect the dead, but ODB and the Clan damn near set the standard for this type of shit. remember seeing em with Rage? me either since members stopped showing up to the shows and the tour got cancelled. sending an imposter is some douchebag shit, though.

One and Only
08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Lol man I would be mad hated but I like Pigeon John that summertime pool party or whatever album was hot.

LuckyTheWonderDog
08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
On the brighter side of Doom, check out the thread below for a free compilation album of most Dooms featured spots.

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41030

Stevebud23
08-31-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah I went to San Fran that weekend for Rock the Bells and the buzz on the street was that he had an imposter. My girl took a picture and was immediately kicked out. I also talked to some dude at a bar that night who worked at Independent. He was not sure if Doom was really there but he was able to verify the MIC was not once turned on during his show. There's no way he would lip sink his own shit. He's also been punking out on a bunch of shows. I was waiting for him to come on at ROCK the bells Chicago, and he never showed.