PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Dislike Iron Maiden?

oDoUoSoKo
09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
my popular series of threads has been ressurected by my curiosity....

one of the greatest metal bands to ever play...i dont care what u say...and also one of the most consistent (album wise) bands from the 80's and in metal all together.....so...that being said...

who dislikes em?

crust
09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
everytime i listen to iron maiden i just wanna grow my hair out and wear tight pants haha and fucking sing at the top of my lungs!

*eeeeeeyyeahhhhhaaaa-aaaaaaahhh*

Jeru
09-13-2007, 03:51 AM
I respect them alot...and what they've done for the rock community but I must admit I've only listened to the Number Of The Beast album

shaolinsword
09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
For how long they've been around and how much they've helped the metal scene they're ok. But, I can't stand that type of metal so I'm not a fan

oDoUoSoKo
09-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I respect them alot...and what they've done for the rock community but I must admit I've only listened to the Number Of The Beast album
piece of mind, powerslave are important albums....plus check out pre dickenson....Self titled and Killers.

irish ins
09-13-2007, 10:03 AM
brilliant band no. of the beast is my fav album by them but def worth cheking the rest

Jeru
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Still more of a Deep Purple head :yes:

living_undead
09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
it's impossible to dislike Iron Maiden
unless you are gay.

crust
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
it's impossible to dislike Iron Maiden
unless you are gay.

hahaha pretty much man.

oDoUoSoKo
09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
DJMethods is a flaming homosexual.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
best Ghost-Rae-Cappa track.

ups.

TSA
09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
best Ghost-Rae-Cappa track.

ups.

haha woyd up.

Cappa's verse was ahead of it's time

oDoUoSoKo
09-14-2007, 08:01 PM
RZA shooda got a sample off maiden.

Cthulhu
09-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Great band, but I'm more a fan of extreme metal bands from the 80s like Bathory, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, Napalm Death, etc.

wuswordz95
09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
me dont like iron maiden. is it true they were christians?

Cthulhu
09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
me dont like iron maiden. is it true they were christians?

It's conceivable that some of the members may have been Christians, but most of them were probably agnostic or atheist, or just didn't give a shit altogether. The band didn't have any kind of idealogy, so there's really no reason to try to guess their religious beliefs. It's not like their music is offensive to Christians. Their lyrics are quite obviously fantasy, and even the ones referencing Satan were never glorifying him.

Bands like Slayer and Deicide that have outright anti-Christian lyrics even have had Christian members.

Cthulhu
09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
It's a common misconception that metal music is supposed to be necessarily Satanic or anti-religious. This wikipedia excerpt should clear some things up:

Controversies
Several general market metal bands do not identify themselves as a "Christian band" but still use their lyrics to portray God in a positive light. There are some bands, Virgin Black and Klank, for example, who have Christian members but prefer to remain in the general market. Other more notable mainstream acts that feature Christian members are Anthrax (Dan Spitz), Accept (Peter Baltes), Saliva (Josey Scott), Blind Guardian (Hansi Kursch), Helloween (Andi Deris and Michael Weikath), Iron Maiden (Nicko McBrain), Avian (Lance King), Shadow Gallery, Magnitude 9, Dream Theater, Alice Cooper (who himself is a Christian), All That Remains (Philip Labonte), Megadeth (Dave Mustaine and David Ellefson), and Head (ex-Korn). Other bands, such as Killswitch Engage[35] and Linkin Park [36] have members who were raised in Christian homes, thus occasionally using spiritual themes.

Tuomas Holopainen has also incorporated christian themes in almost every Nightwish album but he has stated in one interview from Nightwish's site that he has his own views respecting Christianity.

Certain artists, however, are controversial in that they claim Christianity while playing in bands with anti-Christian lyrics or themes. Tom Araya, Slayer's lead vocalist, claims to be a Roman Catholic despite singing overtly anti-Christian lyrics. Deicide, known for their Satanic and anti-Christian themes, included guitarist Ralph Santolla, another professing Roman Catholic.

Certain fans of metal consider the use of Christian lyrics to be opposed to the "true" purpose of metal, despite the fact that the musical content is hardly any different from secular metal bands. On the other side, certain Christian groups, most notably those in some King James Only denominations, consider all types of rock and metal music opposed to their faith regardless of lyrical content or the lifestyles being led by band members. However, many fans and artists see metal as another genre of music, parallel to such genres as blues, classical, jazz, punk, and hip-hop. These people claim that the instrumentation of the music is simply a medium, agnostic to a worldview, while the person creating the music as well as the lyrics being presented provide the message. Therefore, Christian metal is created when Christians compose metal music in a way that reflects their faith in Christ.

tgodd
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
yes i love songs about slaying dragons and unsheathing my steel. i'm 12.

oDoUoSoKo
09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
u must be a HIM fan faggot, Maiden is about the good music.

Cthulhu
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
yes i love songs about slaying dragons and unsheathing my steel. i'm 12.

Actually there really aren't any Maiden songs about those sort of things. You'd have to consult Dio, Manowar, and the entire power metal genre for that. Most Maiden songs are based on classic literature or mythology.

Billy Danzenie
09-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Actually there really aren't any Maiden songs about those sort of things. You'd have to consult Dio, Manowar, and the entire power metal genre for that. Most Maiden songs are based on classic literature or mythology.

or certain wars

tgodd
09-21-2007, 01:47 AM

oh ok sorry sunlight falling on their steel then. and quests for fire. either way i don't see how anyone over say 15 could seriously listen to this.

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam.

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night
As they fought a vicious angry battle
to save the power of warmth and light.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched all through the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

And they thought that when the embers died away
That the flame of life had burnt and died
Didn't know the sparks that made the fire
Were made by rubbing stick and stone.

So they ploughed through the forest and swamps of danger
And they fought the cannibal tribes and beasts
In the search to find another fire
To regain the power of light and heat.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched across the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

----------------------------------------------

You killed your first man at 13,
Killer instinct, Animal supreme,
By 16 you had learned to fight
The way of the warrior, you took it as your right.

Sunlight, falling on your steel,
Death in life is your ideal,
Life is like a wheel, rolling on and on.

Through earth and water, fire and wind,
You came at last - nothing was the end,
Make a cut by fire and stones,
Take you and your blade and break you both
in two - break you both in two.

Life is like a wheel - and it's rolling still.

Cthulhu
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
oh ok sorry sunlight falling on their steel then. and quests for fire. either way i don't see how anyone over say 15 could seriously listen to this.

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam.

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night
As they fought a vicious angry battle
to save the power of warmth and light.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched all through the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

And they thought that when the embers died away
That the flame of life had burnt and died
Didn't know the sparks that made the fire
Were made by rubbing stick and stone.

So they ploughed through the forest and swamps of danger
And they fought the cannibal tribes and beasts
In the search to find another fire
To regain the power of light and heat.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched across the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

----------------------------------------------

You killed your first man at 13,
Killer instinct, Animal supreme,
By 16 you had learned to fight
The way of the warrior, you took it as your right.

Life is like a wheel, rolling on and on.

Through earth and water, fire and wind,
You came at last - nothing was the end,
Make a cut by fire and stones,
Take you and your blade and break you both
in two - break you both in two.

Life is like a wheel - and it's rolling still.
Some people enjoy the hokey fun of it? They like the music and instrumentation?

I'm not a huge Maiden fan myself, and I think those particular songs are pretty corny actually, however I do really enjoy the self-titled album, Killers, and Number of the Beast.

I do listen to plenty of death metal and black metal bands with some really stupid and immature lyrics, but I enjoy their music and that's all that really matters. The corniness, especially if the band is well aware of how corny they are, is part of the fun. Immortal and Darkthrone are great examples of this. They were viewed as terrifying and grim during the height of the Norwegian black metal scene, but now they tongue-in-cheekily acknowledge just how ridiculous their image is.

There are plenty of rap artists with some really stupid lyrics that people still hold in high regard. Hell, even Wu-Tang Clan is not immune to dumb things. I find "The Second Coming" entirely unlistenable.

tgodd
09-22-2007, 04:05 PM
i'm sorry but the number of people who ironically like metal is vastly outnumbered by greasy neckbearded nerds who like to pump their fists and scream/cry to the most aggressive song they can find while thinking about all the kids who picked on them.

actually liking metal for the music and disregarding the content. well i didn't think it was possible. i'm mostly referring to death metal since i actually like iron maiden's later 80s records because of how cheesy they are.

Cthulhu
09-22-2007, 09:34 PM
i'm sorry but the number of people who ironically like metal is vastly outnumbered by greasy neckbearded nerds who like to pump their fists and scream/cry to the most aggressive song they can find while thinking about all the kids who picked on them.

actually liking metal for the music and disregarding the content. well i didn't think it was possible. i'm mostly referring to death metal since i actually like iron maiden's later 80s records because of how cheesy they are.

This is true, but you're mistaken about death metal. Most of the dumbass metalheads listen to crap like Slipknot and Mudvayne, or only marginally decent bands like Pantera. While Cannibal Corpse may not be a very intelligent band, most death metal bands are pretty down-to-earth and creative, and, while I can't speak for all, their fans are generally the type of people who can appreciate transgressive art. Death, Morbid Angel, Cryptopsy, Carcass, Suffocation, Napalm Death, Nile, and Immolation are very creative and intelligent bands. To characterize the entire genre as butt-rock for Beavis and Butthead type losers is very innaccurate.

One and Only
09-29-2007, 01:01 PM
They are one of the best metal bands. I'm not a huge fan of metal but Iron Maiden type(well actually only heard Number Of The Beast or whatever it's called) is cool it's not super scream crazyness.

09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
yea, I dislike them. they're too dull... too simple.... boring...
listen to a Led Zeppelin song and then play some Iron Maiden. you'll see what I mean.

oDoUoSoKo
09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
i was waiting for that, an unecessary comparison to Zep.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
09-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Hate Rock.

Cilvaringz's son? I hate U.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
09-30-2007, 02:03 AM
They fuckin' rule when u r in the car ridin' somewhere far and there is simply nuthin' to do :D:D:D

froth
09-30-2007, 03:51 AM
they are ok. run for the hills is great. as for mercyful fate, they fucking rule. celtic frost, well at least they did a cover of mexican radio

Frontal Lobotomy
09-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Don't mind a bit of Maiden, Fear of The Dark is a badass track.

Krimewave
09-30-2007, 01:33 PM
first 3 albums are dope.
after that, nothing really worthy of note.

Cthulhu
10-02-2007, 11:43 PM
they are ok. run for the hills is great. as for mercyful fate, they fucking rule. celtic frost, well at least they did a cover of mexican radio

Celtic Frost were so much better before Into the Pandemonium. Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion are classic metal albums.

MathUtheMCZA
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
maiden rule....^co/sign Celtic Frost was pretty ill.
me & my boy played "Maiden--Infinite Dreams" at the bar last night----ya'll should bang that one again.....i totally forgot about it!!!

Cthulhu
10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
maiden rule....^co/sign Celtic Frost was pretty ill.
me & my boy played "Maiden--Infinite Dreams" at the bar last night----ya'll should bang that one again.....i totally forgot about it!!!

If you like Celtic Frost's older stuff (Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return, To Mega Therion), you might want to check out some of Darkthrone's early albums. A Blaze in the Northern Sky is pure Frost worship. I also love Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger, but those albums are a little farther removed from the CF influence. Still excellent black metal albums, though.