PDA

View Full Version : Crowley= worth reading more?

Ultimate Fist
09-21-2007, 04:17 AM
I've read Book 4 and I tried to read the Book of the Law, but it was too hard for me to follow. Anything else I should read by him?

CEITEDMOFO
09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Crowley served as the head of its British section, and took the name Baphomet, an anti-Christian deity. In 1913 he began his first serious experiments in sexual magic, which arose his interest in the use of homosexual acts as magical methods.

Cthulhu
09-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Crowley served as the head of its British section, and took the name Baphomet, an anti-Christian deity. In 1913 he began his first serious experiments in sexual magic, which arose his interest in the use of homosexual acts as magical methods.

Entirely false. Read up on some literature about the man.

For the record, Baphomet has nothing to do with Christianity/anti-Christianity, in fact it was never a deity anyone ever worshipped.

SubtleEnergies
09-22-2007, 10:22 PM
The Book of the Law - If you didn't feel lost I think you would be doing something wrong.

Book 4 - I didn't find this confusing...I think it was straight forward breakdown of some Magick concepts. However, the shit like making an altar and stuff is so intricate who could be bothered....?

I have read a fair bit on Crowley since he fascinated me. I do not think he was anti-christian, or a devil worshipper at all. Infact some of his ideas are very sophisticated.

My impression of him is that he was an intelligent man. However, he was too proud to sincerely apply himself to any path, and instead convinced himself he was some how special. This doesn't mean I think he had no genuine spiritual knowledge - but he had enough to know better, and destroyed himself.

Another thing is, he loved to joke. There is a quote at the front of one of my biographies of Crowley...I forget by who and the exact wording but it says something to the extent:

The horrible thing about Crowley is one gets the impression that he didn't truly believe in anything, even his own wickedness, and the only thing that was real to him was his cocaine addiction.

I feel Crowley deceived himself into believing he was some kind of prophet and therefore above sin. But the man died miserable, alone and a pathetic drug addict. If that's where his path took him then I am hardly going to look to him for too much guidance. Also some stories in his biographies show him as very weak and cruel.

My advice is this; read Crowely for what he is: A freak. An interesting intelligent freak - but not a person to emulate or trust.

Also, some principles of ritual magick are very interesting, but they also can be found outside of ritual magick and unless you want to play dress up with a bunch of wizards and witches you will find all the knowledge you are looking for yourself if you want it sincerely.

Bis Fan
09-23-2007, 04:46 PM
^ I think you should more about the man

Everything is not as it appears

SubtleEnergies
09-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I think I have read enough, much from Crowley himself.

I also started out giving him the full benefit of the doubt.

That's my opinion of him.

Cthulhu
09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Crowley is interesting, but not a very good philosopher, and even worse as a religious leader (if there's such thing as a good religious leader).

If you want to read something with poetic, quasi-biblical language that actually has something pertinent to say about the world, read some Nietzsche, preferrably Thus Spoke Zarathustra. It's part biblical parody, part philosophical polemic.

Bis Fan
09-23-2007, 09:34 PM
of course he wasn't a good philosopher

He was trying to teach people alter their consciousness and he gave detailed methods

SubtleEnergies
09-23-2007, 09:34 PM
^I agree.

soul controller
09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
I think I have read enough, much from Crowley himself.

I also started out giving him the full benefit of the doubt.

That's my opinion of him.

people like this always make me want to logg in..next thing they;ll say is cecil rhodes was a hero too....

u want crawley books?

read these.. an if u understand what he's saying and on.. u will no doubt change ur views.

read stuff he made for company's/groups/secret socities..
now stuff he released to the easily brain washable masses

if anyone wants any of these..
msg me.

early poetry
the banned lecture
the greek qabalah
the high history of the good sir palamedes
astral travels of 1898
book 4 part IV - the law
1907 diary fragments
book of lies
book of law
concerning death
duty
eight lectures on yoga
gilles de rais
i-ching
lieber lege libellum
liber samekh (800) - theurgia goetia summa (congress cum daemone)
the enochian tablets
the greater ritual of the pentagram
the heart of the master
de arte magica (baphomet)

all by aleister crowly

im sure he wrote most of shakespeares works too

i got much more good ish..

shame for those people whose repitillian (left sided) mind is in control of their brain,. they find it hard to connect dots
people and events finances and words

peace.

HarlemDiplomat
09-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Crowley is way beyond my ability to even make an effort to grasp what hes talking about. I think he was on some type of drug or was a little metally ill to be incorperating so much loosely related philosophy and mythology.

If you want a real mind fuck... try reading Writing In Difference by Jacques Derrida.

I bought that book and haven't made it past page 3.

Bis Fan
09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
^ those people write it that way on purpose

they probably figure if someone isn't gonna take the time to understand this than fuck'em

probably the case with Gurdjieff's Beelzebub

SubtleEnergies
09-27-2007, 03:13 AM
I just don't agree that Crowley was anything great so fuck you :)

He was mostly hype.

SubtleEnergies
09-27-2007, 04:48 AM
BTW...I have no trouble connecting the dots...Like I said I think he was a very intelligent man.

I am not the one with the reptilian brain working here. I feel you are failing ot see the whole - intelligence and knowledge don't necessarily equate someone with righteousness which was my point.

He had a great knowledge of things that are commonly unknown.

However, he was a killer, a compulsive liar and a cocaine addict. Infact to me he was the epitome of the reptillian left-minded mentality. The person who can't integrate knowledge into action. He had a store house of knowledge...to what avail?

I feel that learning should better a person. Simply accumulating facts is a wasted life. Now, you might ask "who am I to judge Crowley as either good or bad and by what standard?"

No one, but I can offer my opinion. And my opinion is that, even disregarding some of his actions which were pretty much evil, his racism, his biggotry, his sexual confusion and lack of control over his lust (all of which would be my subjective view on his actions I guess) - he does not appear to me to have been happy.

If he was such a magus trying to will someone into paralysis why didn't he fucking will himself off cocaine and heroin? If he was so beyond the duality that we are stuck in - why did he constantly lie to impress people?

From what I have read from various sources, combined with his own words, I get the impression Crowley was pathetically caught in a back and forth mentality of wanting to save him self one minute, and then simply using magick to indulge his ego, sexual desires and drug habits the next.

Look at what happened in Cefalu? There is a reason why someone died, two women went crazy and his daughter died there - in the "abbey" this man set up! But you wouldn't get that would you monkey-man?

By the way, although you seem to be busy trying to astral travel and reading books on yoga by someone who most likely lied about attaining ever attaining Samahdi, you might want to use that left side of the brain when you type ;) You have more credit when you type in whole words and your sentences make sense.

Ultimate Fist
09-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I always thought it weird Crowley taught both L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology's founder) and Gardner (Wicca's founder.) What happened there?

Bis Fan
09-27-2007, 06:18 PM
^ what are you getting at

froth
09-30-2007, 02:47 AM
i didnt read everyones posts, but i can tell you that you cant just jump in on some of his books and expect to understand even a single word. personally, if youre going to bother with him, i would read his novel 'diary of a drug fiend'. the reason is say you cant jump into it is bc he basically created his own synthesis of 'magick' drawing form myriad sources and you would have to be well versed in several different avenues to have a clue. if you really want to understand the ideas behind his and others work, and the ideas of magic, i would suggest 'real magic' by isaac bonnewitz, still the best primer on magical concepts ever written in a readable, interesting tone.

CEITEDMOFO
10-01-2007, 02:32 AM
OR U CAN ASK THIS GUY

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=12613192