PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop Kabbalah

SubtleEnergies
10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
In Kabbalah I often see them interpreting parts of the scriptures which seem rather plain on a much deeper level. For example recently I read a book which interpreted the commandment "though shalt not commit adultery" on much more general terms as mixing any two things which shouldn't be mixed - referring to try and mix the worldly and upper plain stuff in the wrong way.

I have often done this with Hip hop lines. Probably literally thousands of them. They get stuck in my mind and applied to almost anything. I thought it would be fun to have a thread and see if any one else does this and see some insights into things from other peoples' views. Keep in mind the meaning read into doesn't have to be intended by the owner of the words, although sometimes I think they are. Just an interpretation beyond the literal.

I will kick it off with a few examples.

You dumb, you wash your hands before you eat swine - Jus Allah

To me this means the people of orthodox religion or empty religion - "lip professin'." It means you are trying to make yourself clean on the outside while at the same time consuming poison on the inside. Eg, a person who follows the rules and regulations of a religion but indulges selfish, spiteful thoughts etc.

And y'all wanna build, but in the face of death you can't kill - Vinnie Paz

This to me has been taken to mean that you can't progress without being willing to dead the negative parts of your self. In the face of death means the mental death that we die everytime we are weak. Like a junkie who dies mentally with every hit coz he hasn't got the strength to KILL the part of him that wants to do it.

Stomp through the graveyard in the rain, the architect
Bricks in the mud - Warcloud

I love this. Graveyard - full of the dead - mentally dead. The rain - the rough wisdom of bad times. The architect - the one laying the plans. Bricks in the mud - laying the foundation of dirty, polluted wisdom.

I had another Jus Allah one in mind but that will do for now...I would like to see if anyone else does this. Would be cool if any of us read the same thing into the same lines.

Bis Fan
10-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Kabbalah math was all I had :mmmyah:

Ultimate Fist
10-06-2007, 04:39 AM
No disrespect but this thread title sounds like a collaboration album of Killah Priest and Matisyahu.

SubtleEnergies
10-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Haha it wasn't meant to be Jewish....just it reminded me...the way they interpret stuff that seems simple deeply....Sufi's do it too....and probably alot of other systems.