PDA

View Full Version : cynical

LHX
10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
courtesy of m-w.com:
a : contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives

well

what is the difference between being cynical and being a critical thinker?

also:

why would a person not be contemptful at having been born into a situation that is seemingly on a trip toward imminent demise?

TeknicelStylez
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Good point

7EL7
10-09-2007, 11:28 PM
good things can happen

people just need to stop doing stupid shit

beautifulrock
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Whats the difference between being a cynic and being a misanthrope?

Visionz
10-10-2007, 01:06 AM
why would critical thinking be based upon distrust??

as a whole poplulation, when it comes to people, I definetly feel its the bad apples that spoil the bunch. I refuse to let a couple of rich and powerful assholes define my outlook towards humanity.

7EL7
10-10-2007, 01:45 AM
how much of humanity do you really get to experience

people are uncomfortable with trooff and change

leave the way things are

i'm not ready yet

there may be no more time for us to wait for you to go through your dread lock stage

Visionz
10-10-2007, 02:02 AM
^enough to form an oppinion based on experience. Does it encompass all the world? of course not, but I still believe that humans are inherentely good but can and will react negatively to negative situations.

I don't think that's cynical, I think its common sense.

Why would critical thinking have to rely on distrust? I understand how it may be beneficial depending on who you're dealing with but I don't think that's the same as having just an outright cynical outlook.

7EL7
10-10-2007, 03:14 AM
i don't understand what you mean ^^

they haven't done it yet

Visionz
10-10-2007, 03:48 AM
who hasn't done what yet??

LHX
10-10-2007, 07:46 AM
^enough to form an oppinion based on experience. Does it encompass all the world? of course not, but I still believe that humans are inherentely good but can and will react negatively to negative situations.

I don't think that's cynical, I think its common sense.

Why would critical thinking have to rely on distrust? I understand how it may be beneficial depending on who you're dealing with but I don't think that's the same as having just an outright cynical outlook.
critical thinking does NOT rely on distrust

but there is a suspension of judgment while someone questions the validity of something

you can TRUST that i am wrong about some of the things i say

when you question me - does that mean you dont trust me?

i dont think so

imagine i came at yall with some 'just take my word for it ' approach

thats snake talk right there

its funny how scared people get when you dont buy what they say
- they get all defensive as tho they might be exposed

from another perspective - maybe it IS distrust

i mean - who can look out for Unseen better than Unseen?

if i told you 'you cant do something' - would you take my word for it?

if yes - youre a idiot

Visionz
10-10-2007, 10:28 PM
^lol, questions are good and I trust my instincts, it isn't that I don't know devious people are out there or that the only limitations a person has (for the most part) is the one's they set for themselves. I do hate when disagreements turn defensive with people, I try to avoid misunderstanding by talking things out. Different walks are gonna give people different perspectives. I don't really want, need, or expect to see everyone thinking the same thing. What's a world painted with one color y'know?

Though if I feel strongly enough about something I will becoming unwavering in my own views , atleast to a point, 9-11 is the perfect example of what I mean by that.

Koolish
10-10-2007, 11:47 PM
courtesy of m-w.com:

well

what is the difference between being cynical and being a critical thinker?

a critical thinker will evaluate a situation and understand its merit by the intelligent level of reasoning that is present. a cynical person does not think critically, they think criticizingly.

also:

why would a person not be contemptful at having been born into a situation that is seemingly on a trip toward imminent demise?

well, if it's a matter of "no matter what i do, i'm fucked" i believe you have every right to be pissed off at everything. there are always chances to turn yourself around and move away from the ills, but only chances.

SubtleEnergies
10-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Having contempt doesn't necessarily mean you are distrustful of human nature. Maybe you gave it a chance and saw it manifested in hopelessness.

SG
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM

Realization

LORD NOSE
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
up